• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT5| Zenophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE the rag-tag look of this squad. We have a pink monster-looking fighter, a smaller old man, an alien, and then kind of typical shonen looking characters but it's some nice diversity

Reminds me a lot of why I like the main cast in HXH's Chimera Ant arc so much (spoilers for that arc);
9df7f7f7e71b1468271b8234d37b504b.jpg

They aren't all model-looking people like the cast of characters in a Bleach arc for example

And yet they invited Roshi.

Roshi did some damage to some of Frieza's men in Return of F, I believe. So they may have given Roshi an unexplained increase in power and with his original role as being a very strong and experienced human fighter, I suppose it's fair

New thread but with February still far away

Full version: https://twitter.com/ryfura/status/809952764608450560

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/809958889034686464
Jump Festa Universe Survival arc preview. If a team loses, their universe is immediately destroyed. Hence the name.

Wow. No mercy from Zeno

they actually did it

PeaceUK

Fantastic OT, hopefully they throw in some cool surprises in this next arc.

Is it too much to hope for movie characters? I feel like it is.

HeroR

Roshi did some damage to some of Frieza's men in Return of F, I believe. So they may have given Roshi an unexplained increase in power and with his original role as being a very strong and experienced human fighter, I suppose it's fair

Roshi was not stated to have gotten stronger. Only that he was trying since he was Buff Roshi, the same Roshi that blew up the moon.

roshi is almost definitely stronger than chiaotzu

chiaotzu lost to krillin man

And Krillin is the strongest human, so that isn't saying much.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I LOVE the rag-tag look of this squad. We have pink monster-looking fighter, a smaller old man, an alien, and then kind of typical shonen looking characters but it's some nice diversity

Reminds me a lot of why I like the main cast in HXH's Chimera Ant so much (spoilers for that arc);
9df7f7f7e71b1468271b8234d37b504b.jpg

They aren't all model-looking people like the cast of characters in a Bleach arc for example

They did mention that roshi has been doing some training off screen in rof

Deadly

That key visual for the new arc wow. I imagine they're the top contenders of Universe 7 but Krillin and Tenshihan...really? I bet even Goten and Trunks are stronger.

Gohan though...Is it finally time? MAKE GOHAN GREAT AGAIN.

NandoGip

I pray Super has dubs out by the time I catch up to it with my son. I'm going to make an RTTP thread soon, but I'm in the middle of re-watching DBZ with my 6-year old son. He is loving the hell out of it, though I'm realizing this is way more violent than I remember....Mommy probably wouldn't bee happy if she saw what we were watching. We're only up to episode 49 right now.

Please tell me you started with dragon ball. It's so perfect for a kid

HeroR

not when he was a kid

Chiaotzu was strenger than Raditz during the Saiyan Saga since he could track a Saiberman. He also trained with King Kai longer than anyone since he stood with Tien. He also trains all the time with Tien.

Unless Roshi did some major grinding, he's the weakest ki user on the planet.

That key visual for the new arc wow. I imagine they're the top contenders of Universe 7 but Krillin and Tenshihan...really? I bet even Goten and Trunks are stronger.

Tien (and Krillin) deserves to be able to have fights with the supporting villains of any given arc. Fans love Tien. He did some impressive things in Z and the only thing holding him back from doing cooler things now and making his many fans happy is just for AT to include more fodder villains in arcs and let the non-Saiyans just be a bit stronger. It isn't that much to ask.

Chiaotzu was strenger than Raditz during the Saiyan Saga since he could track a Saiberman. He also trained with King Kai longer than anyone since he stood with Tien. He also trains all the time with Tien.

Unless Roshi did some major grinding, he's the weakest ki user on the planet.

i suppose, but we haven't seen anything out of chiaotzu since the siayan saga

we know for a fact that roshi is in good enough shape to take on freeza's men and win

HeroR

Tien (and Krillin) deserves to be able to have fights with the supporting villains of any given arc. Fans love Tien. He did some impressive things in Z and the only thing holding him back from doing cooler things now and making his many fans happy is just for AT to include more fodder villains in arcs and let the non-Saiyans just be a bit stronger. It isn't that much to ask.

I should point out that in the last character poll, Dragon Ball Forever, Tien only ranked as 16. Which isn't too bad since he actually beat Bulma and Videl. Yamcha beat Tien by ranking 15.

i suppose, but we haven't seen anything out of chiaotzu since the siayan saga

we know for a fact that roshi is in good enough shape to take on freeza's men and win

He also took out second-rank fodder who might be weaker than Raditz given Freeza and Sorbet's statement. Not that impressive since he isn't fighting the Frieza Force at its peak.

NandoGip

Honestly Tien has been awesome from the very beginning in DB. He's got some unique techniques too. I'm most pumped to see what him and Roshi are going to do

I should point out that in the last character poll, Dragon Ball Forever, Tien only ranked as 16. Which isn't too bad since he actually beat Bulma and Videl. Yamcha beat Tien by ranking 15.

Interesting Yamcha beat him. Was this just a poll that was conducted in Japan like the polls Weekly Shonen Jumps conducts? Looking at forums online, I feel Tien gets more love than any non-Saiyan Z-fighter besides Piccolo

Honestly Tien has been awesome from the very beginning in DB. He's got some unique techniques too. I'm most pumped to see what him and Roshi are going to do

Agreed. I'm more partial to Yamcha when it comes to the human Z Fighters but I love Tien and have nothing but respect for him

HeroR

Interesting Yamcha beat him. Was this just a poll that was conducted in Japan like the polls Weekly Shonen Jumps conducts? Looking at forums online, I feel Tien gets more love than any non-Saiyan Z-fighter besides Piccolo

It was in a guide/book called Dragon Ball Forever that came out in 2004. There were only two Shonen Jump polls for Dragon Ball, one for the Cell Saga and one for the Buu Saga that only had the top five. In those, Gohan beat Goku as the number one character for the Cell Saga, but dropped out of the top five in the Buu Saga. Gotenks was number 4 in the Buu Saga poll.

Most online polls tend to be western linear. For example, Vegeta beats Goku in many online polls, while Goku trumps Vegeta by a country mile in the Japanese polls. Or like Cell who is ranked as one of the best villains in online polls is only a 14 in the Dragon Ball Forever poll.

Skeeter49

Roshi will probably be a part of the team for a few episodes, and then Goku will refuse to participate unless Monako is on the team.
#BringbackJackieChun.

Zolo

Here's the top 20 for the DB Forever poll for those curious:

1. Goku
  2. Vegeta
  3. Gohan
  4. Trunks
  5. Piccolo
  6. Goten
  7. Krillin
  8. Majin Buu
  9. Frieza
  10. Android 18
  11. Mr. Satan
  12. Korin
  13. Master Roshi
  14. Cell
  15. Yamcha
  16. Tien Shinhan
  17. Bulma
  18. Android 17
  19. Yajirobe
  20. Videl

Here's the top 20 for the DB Forever poll (Buu Saga) for those curious:

1. Goku
  2. Vegeta
  3. Gohan
  4. Trunks
  5. Piccolo
  6. Goten
  7. Krillin
  8. Majin Buu
  9. Frieza
  10. Android 18
  11. Mr. Satan
  12. Korin
  13. Master Roshi
  14. Cell
  15. Yamcha
  16. Tien Shinhan
  17. Bulma
  18. Android 17
  19. Yajirobe
  20. Videl

I'm really surprised Korin and Yajirobe are there.

HardRojo

So it is confirmed we'll finally see the other Gods of Destruction. Amazing news! That's exactly what I wanted, hopefully they're diverse and interesting enough.

Here's the top 20 for the DB Forever poll (Buu Saga) for those curious:

1. Goku
  2. Vegeta
  3. Gohan
  4. Trunks
  5. Piccolo
  6. Goten
  7. Krillin
  8. Majin Buu
  9. Frieza
  10. Android 18
  11. Mr. Satan
  12. Korin
  13. Master Roshi
  14. Cell
  15. Yamcha
  16. Tien Shinhan
  17. Bulma
  18. Android 17
  19. Yajirobe
  20. Videl

My boy Yajirobe

NeonZ

It was in a guide/book called Dragon Ball Forever that came out in 2004. There were only two Shonen Jump polls for Dragon Ball, one for the Cell Saga and one for the Buu Saga that only had the top five. In those, Gohan beat Goku as the number one character for the Cell Saga, but dropped out of the top five in the Buu Saga. Gotenks was number 4 in the Buu Saga poll.

Most online polls tend to be western linear. For example, Vegeta beats Goku in many online polls, while Goku trumps Vegeta by a country mile in the Japanese polls. Or like Cell who is ranked as one of the best villains in online polls is only a 14 in the Dragon Ball Forever poll.

The Buu Saga shounen jump poll actually does have rankings beyond the top 5. They're just text only rather than illustrations.

1-Goku
2-Vegeta
3-Trunks
4-Gotenks
5-Piccolo
6-Gohan
7-Goten
8-Yamcha
9-Freeza
10-Kuririn

you know, looking at the poster, in any other shounen you'd expect the small unassuming old man to be one of the strongest members of the team.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Can I jumpstart into this arc? I jumped ship at the end of the really crappy adaptation of BoG, and I heard the RoF arc was also bad in adapting. I've actually read the synopsis of black future and Champa, and even watched the fights in the Champa arc. Champa really sucks but the matches are great especially the assassin guy, though sucks that it all boiled down to Vegeta. Goku Black, Rose Form, and Zamasu however had a crappy resolution from what I read.

Zolo

Can I jumpstart into this arc? I jumped ship at the end of the really crappy adaptation of BoG, and I heard the RoF arc was also bad in adapting. I've actually read the synopsis of black future and Champa, and even watched the fights in the Champa arc. Champa really sucks but the matches are great especially the assassin guy. Goku Black, Rose Form, and Zamasu however had a crappy resolution from what I read.

Q: Is this an okay place to jump in?
A: This arc pulls heavily from the past two arcs in both concepts and characters, so starting here would likely result in some confusion.

I already read about those two arcs though as I said, even know the plot and the characters involved.

If you know the characters you'll probably be alright, but I'd suggest watching the Future Trunks arc, you mileage may vary, many people did enjoy how it ended and even if you end up not like how it ends you might still enjoy the journey.

HeroR

The Buu Saga shounen jump poll actually does have rankings beyond the top 5. They're just text only rather than illustrations.

1-Goku
2-Vegeta
3-Trunks
4-Gotenks
5-Piccolo
6-Gohan
7-Goten
8-Yamcha
9-Freeza
10-Kuririn

I do think I remember seeing it, but I only found the top five when I searched. Funny seeing Yamcha above Krillin here. And Frieza still hanging around despite being dead for several years.

olympia

I already read about those two arcs though as I said, even know the plot and the characters involved.

I'd watch them. The synopsis you read may or may not be accurate and may conflate details with the manga. Plus it's super easy to watch the show now that it's on CR.

Zolo

you know, looking at the poster, in any other shounen you'd expect the small unassuming old man to be one of the strongest members of the team.

In any other shounen, the cast would be made up of teenagers instead of mostly people in their 30s (and above) and over half of them parents.

In any other shounen, the cast would be made up of teenagers instead of mostly people in their 30s (and above) and over half of them parents.

one of them is even a grandpa, and it aint the old man(well as far as we know Roshi doesn't have kids)

a grandpa for a shounen main character, how many anime in general can say that

Enthus

Don't forget that the woman on the team is wearing a tracksuit and not something ridiculous.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yes it's finally time. It took a year, but here it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom