• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RjyyQO0.png

This thread is primarily for the Japanese broadcast and its worldwide simulcast, if you are watching the show with a dub you will run into spoilers for episodes you have not yet seen. If you want to discuss the show as it airs in the US please checkout the Toonami OT over in the Off-Topic Community section.

Btwwmb1.png

dd1T1hE.png

• No scans.
  • Discussion of descriptions of upcoming episodes found in Japanese magazines must be in spoiler tags. Anything that has happened in the show or the preview that airs at the end of an episode is fair game for spoiler tag-free discussion.
  • No linking to sites where you can illegally watch the show.
  • Discussion of episodes that have just aired in Japan but have not yet been simulcast must be spoiler tagged.
  • Try to be civil.

aCCdXoK.png

Dragon Ball Super is a follow up to Dragon Ball Z, though all of the stories so far have taken place before the final episodes of Z. The primary story arcs of the show are based on outlines written by Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama and then expanded and modified by the writing staff at Toei Animation.
The series continues the adventures of Goku and his friends as they meet new and returning characters as well as fight new, powerful foes. The Dragon Ball world has been expanded with new realms of power and the revelation that our heroes reside in one of 12 universes, each with their own people, warriors and gods.
Dragon Ball Super began airing on July 5th, 2015 and continues to air every Sunday morning on Fuji TV at 9:00 AM in Japan.

Evqk6Fr.png

Dragon Ball Super has completed 4 arcs from Akira Toriyama, 2 of which were adaptations of the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
l3Muojd.png
JetsOW1.png

KurQQZ6.png
VTV4NCm.png

o088cE4.png

Dragon Ball Super is currently in its 5th major arc, The Universe Survival Arc!
m4PIik6.png

At Goku’s request, the Omni-Kings’ “Tournament of Power” martial arts tournament between universes now begins! …But this also proves to be the beginning of universal destruction. What awaits the victors of this tournament, and the vanquished…?! How will these intense team battles between the elites of each universe turn out…?!

Dragon Ball Super producer Shunki Hashizume has also provided a comment on the arc;
Dragon Ball Super enters its new chapter, the “Universe Survival Arc”. As you can see from the main visual, it’ll be a full-throttle story where Goku and the rest of the Universe 7 warriors form a team to take on a tournament between universes! Artificial Human No. 17 and Majin Boo are there too, so personally I can’t contain my excitement at the thought of what kind of fights we’ll see! Look forward to this new chapter that’ll be sure to feature super-intense battles with nonstop appearances by the elites of each universe!
~Translations from Kanzenshuu

i0IPSCK.png

If you are able to watch Japanese TV the show airs Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM Japan Time on Fuji TV, but for everyone else we have Simulcasts and dubs.
Depending on your region you should be able to watch episodes officially subbed around an hour after it finishes airing in Japan on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab and Funimation. On these services you are also able to watch all the previously aired episodes subbed!

Various dubs around the world have also either begun airing or will begin soon! Funimation's English dub airs Saturday nights on Adult Swim, but is very far behind the Japanese broadcast.

Wp4vsWN.png

Dragon Ball Super also has a manga, but unlike with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z the anime is not based on the manga. The manga is created by an artist who goes by the name Toyotaro and is based on the same outlines as the anime, but does many things differently. This version of Super is also quite a ways behind the anime.
The manga can be read totally free, in English on Viz's site.

XKhFLva.png

Q: Is that Android 17 in the poster for the new arc?
A: Yes! After the events of the Cell Games Android 17 was revived with everyone else who died and even settled down, married, became a father and even got a job as a park ranger.

Q: Is that Yamcha is the poster for the new arc?
A: No, it's Gohan, shut up.

Q: Is this an okay place to jump in?
A: This arc pulls heavily from the past two arcs in both concepts and characters, so starting here would likely result in some confusion.

Q: Is this the last arc of Super?
A: While nothing confirms that this isn't the last arc, absolutely nothing says that it is. Dragon Ball is currently making a lot of money for all parties involved and as such is it unlikely to end any time soon. If this was the last arc it would also probably be advertised as such to increase interest in the arc.

Q: If the first two arcs are just retellings of two movies should I watch them or the show?
Q: It really comes down to what you want to do, some people even prefer the Super retellings of the arcs. The fastest way to get caught up on the series is to start by watching the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and then pick up Super on episode 28, but the best way to get into the show in a shorter amount of time than watching 27 episodes is to watch the first two episodes of Super, the Battle of Gods film, episode 15 and then either Ajay's Resurrection F Super Cut (a fan recut of the the film that includes a lot of Super footage, but I can't link you to it) or watch episodes 16, 17 and 18 followed by the Resurrection F film and pick up Super at episode 28.

Mu7tHVS.png

Even though the first 27 episodes are primarily a retelling of the films "Battle of Gods" and "Resurrection F" there is still some good action, so for those who skip the first 27 episodes I have made some GIFs of the best pieces of action from these episodes.
Collection 1
Collection 2
Collection 3
Collection 4
Collection 5

Welcome to the new OT!
wQPfsu5.gif

J4g3r

keA6Bhx.gif

Going to bring it over from the last thread:

I hope it's 17's family that end up being the reason he decides to join.

Would match with the reason Gohan, Krillin, 18 and (soon) Vegeta joining.

Everyone's commenting on 17, but no one talks about Super good Buu. Now on Dragon Ball Super!

... get it?

GET IT!?

I had to, sorry

I hope there's a subplot where Yamcha gets rich and finds true love while everyone is punching each other in the face during the tourney

Chase17

Yamcha has been amazing in super.

Excited for the Gohan/Piccolo plot thread to pick back up. And to see what 17 is all about now.

Rutger

Banned
Going to bring it over from the last thread:

It's looking like everyone is going to be fighting for the people they care about, except Goku who just wants a good fight.

This could be a very interesting bit of development for Goku if handled right.

Kyzer

Banned
Based on Friezas 5 minute countdown on Namek I have calculated that the Tournament of Power will officially begin in 2019

J4g3r

It's looking like everyone is going to be fighting for the people they care about, except Goku who just wants a good fight.

This could be a very interesting bit of development for Goku if handled right.

For sure, him having that realization during the actual tournament is what I'm expecting!

Kyzer

Banned
For sure, him having that realization during the actual tournament is what I'm expecting!

Yeah im expecting vegeta to do a crazy move thinking about bra and then immediately get jobbed anyways, and it will be Goku who will protect vegetas new baby and pan. Either that or he will reveal that him and zenochan made the whole thing up for funzies and thats why hes been a heartless fuckk about it

And end in 2023?

Precisely. It will all be building up to a mysterious new transformation which will be promptly spoiled in the episode before it appears with a quick montage and the name of the episode being revealed as,"A mysterious transformation? Yes, its true, Goku goes super saiyan purple!!!"

NeonZ

I hope they edit the OP soon, with him looking like that.

Even if he stays looking like that, they'll likely just add him to the static shot at the end. They never updated Bulma to match her RoF design in the first opening aside from the cast shot.

Yeah im expecting vegeta to do a crazy move thinking about bra and then immediately get jobbed anyways, and it will be Goku who will protect vegetas new baby and pan. Either that or he will reveal that him and zenochan mafe the whole thing up for funzies and thats why hes been a heartless fuckk about it

ueaFPie.gif

Precisely. It will all be building up to a mysterious new transformation which will be promptly spoiled in the episode before it appears with a quick montage and the name of the episode being "A mysterious transformation? Yes, its true, Goku goes super saiyan purple!!!"

*Super Saiyan Steamy.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah im expecting vegeta to do a crazy move thinking about bra and then immediately get jobbed anyways, and it will be Goku who will protect vegetas new baby and pan. Either that or he will reveal that him and zenochan made the whole thing up for funzies and thats why hes been a heartless fuckk about it

Precisely. It will all be building up to a mysterious new transformation which will be promptly spoiled in the episode before it appears with a quick montage and the name of the episode being revealed as,"A mysterious transformation? Yes, its true, Goku goes super saiyan purple!!!"
Ah yes, purple, truly the godliest of powers

CryptiK

This recruitment arc has been pretty long. Also Buu better have the ability to turn into Skinny Buu and be stronger. It'll be annoying if its a one time thing.

Kevinroc

The current arc is really nailing it, IMO. Making the old side characters useful again, interesting designs for the new characters, significantly raising the stakes.

So who's ready to see a character long forgotten get his return fighting Goku
It's Roshi
. But in all seriousness the 17 episode is getting me hyped to see him in the tournament.

Edit: At the request of Slaythe I made this for him :)

nBNfbfI.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom