• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

Super 17 is better than Super's 17.
9QAMzkP.gif

this should be ban worthy.

Skeeter49

Super 17 is better than Super's 17.

Super 17 was forgettable as a character. In one episode Super's 17 has had more character development than 17 in GT.

Think I'm going to watch the Super 17 GT arc Saturday before Super airs. Maybe it's better a second viewing, maybe I had some type of bias the first time watching it.

Slaythe

Super 17 was forgettable as a character. In one episode Super's 17 has had more character development than 17 in GT.

Think I'm going to watch the Super 17 GT arc Saturday before Super airs. Maybe it's better a second viewing, maybe I had some type of bias the first time watching it.

If anything it gets worse.
Enjoy the dumb fireball spam filler and him being a shitty puppet.
( and then he rebels but remains brainwashed........)

HeroR

The arc was a letdown. Hopefully the Universe Survival one is better.

I want to copy something about the manga on Kanzenshuu:

Actually reading the chapter, Goku and Vegeta not working together doesn't come off as funny. It comes off as numbingly frustrating. The first part was fine when Merged Zamasu was owing them and testing his power. Then the Supreme Kai gives them the earrings to fused. Vegeta says no and Goku doesn't even try to convince Vegeta further. Just, well, that how it is and gives the earring back. Then they take turns despite Merged Zamasu wrecking them just a few seconds before. What?

At least with Kid Buu Goku thought he had a chance with him. What the freaking point of trying to fight Merged Zamasu individually? And part of the reason why Goku was willing to fight Kid Buu without fusion was because he wasn't a fused being himself anymore. Here, he's a fusion, better take turns fighting him.

The fight with Vegetto was so brief that it was almost blink and you miss. Well, people can no longer blame the anime for not doing anything with Vegetto. The curb stomp from Vegetto was also disappointing. Part of what made the anime version of the fight cool, despite how short it was, was that Vegito struggled and Merged Zamasu put up a decent fight. Here, Toyo had to copy what happened with Super Buu and Omega Shenron and have the fusion of Goku and Vegeta just stomp their enemy into the ground. Challenge, what's that? But given how terrible Manga Black was, I was expecting this. On a more personal note, although I didn't want Vegito, the one scene I loved from his fight with Merged Zamasu was when he called him out that his plan to kill all mortals could never happened since 'he' Son Goku would always be part of him. It was an amazingly profound along with Merged Zamasu's response.

Merged Zamasu being on the time limited also goes against how Black and Future Zamasu can used the Time Rings, since it was stated that only the Supreme Kais can used them. Or, as the manga called them the Lords of Lords, which Future Zamasu should be part of since he is a Kai. It also makes Zamasu as a villain look even worst since he doesn't realized that his fusion isn't forever. At least in the anime, Merged Zamasu was done in because Black got corrupted by Goku's body. Instead of wanting immortality, he wanted power and to fight like a Saiyan.

In fact, this makes Manga Black look dumber since Goku's body didn't really corrupt him outside of him liking fighting. Why didn't he asked for immorality, especially after Future Zamasu seems to throw spades at Black, although indirectly, by saying he would never get rid of his godly form for power. Black literally could of had both, but the manga never touch on why Black didn't want it.

Finally, Merged Zamasu's attacks are just lame. You have the ultimate power in the world and what do you do, you create steel blocks and throw them around like a mini boss from Mario. Toyo didn't even get creative and let Merged Zamasu make spikes, he had to directly copy something the Supreme Kai did once to test the Z-Sword, because 'oh, call back!'. Toyo, get more creative.

Overall, this arc shows that while Toyo can make good fight panels and he tries to explain himself (which are hit and miss), he can't tell a good story and have character development since his Vegeta is still in the mid-Buu Saga. He should do better in the Universal Survival Saga since the plot is more straight forward. Even then, I won't forget the manga for screwing up Black and making him into a worst version of Cell.

J4g3r

There's a bit from the manga involving Future Trunks and Vegeta that I really wish made it into the anime.

I'll still it in email tags (quote to reveal)

It's that which convinces Vegeta to fuse with Goku in the manga, so much better that what the anime did.

The manga may be getting a ton of flak right now, but it really does nail some parts... ;_;

HeroR

There's a bit from the manga involving Future Trunks and Vegeta that I really wish made it into the anime.

I'll still it in email tags (quote to reveal)

It's that which convinces Vegeta to fuse with Goku in the manga, so much better that what the anime did.

The manga may be getting a ton of flak right now, but it really does nail some parts... ;_;

The speech shouldn't be necessary. One of the major points of the Future Trunks Saga, at least in the anime, was that Vegeta wasn't fighting for his pride or himself. He was fighting for his son's world. Vegeta straights up tell Black this when he said he didn't care to get revenge for getting beat up by him and Black notes how un-Saiyan like his statement was. Later, Black note that Vegeta got stronger so fast because of his anger. Anger for what he did to his son and his world. Finally, Vegeta was willing to fight alongside Goku and Trunks against Merged Zamasu without any ego. This is character development. Vegeta didn't need a speech like the Buu Saga to throw his Saiyan pride away.

So that speech annoys the hell out of me because it ignores al the character development Vegeta had up to that point and made him look like a freaking idiot since Merged Zamasu literally smashed Goku and Vegeta into the ground. There was no point of even humoring fighting him one-on-one. They didn't have to fuse, just fight together.

caliph95

Didn't the manga used o be good never read a fll chapter but i keep hearing how better it is but the latest chapter was the worse part of fight and none of thegood stuff. Instead of the more unqiue and powerful Zamas squared, the manga version is just buff Zamas while using the supreme kai powers were cool it pales compares to the anime. It honestly feels like i was reading DBM in that it feels fanfic which makes sense since the author was a fanfic writer.

HeroR

Haven't read much of the manga but it seems like it's a worse retelling of the anime

My personal opinion aside, you should read the manga for yourself and judge. You may like it since people do prefer the manga over the anime for various reasons. I am just not one of them.

Didn't the manga used o be good never read a fll chapter but i keep hearing how better it is but the latest chapter was the worse part of fight and none of thegood stuff. Instead of the more unqiue and powerful Zamas squared, the manga version is just buff Zamas while using the supreme kai powers were cool it pales compares to the anime. It honestly feels like i was reading DBM in that it feels fanfic which makes sense since the author was a fanfic writer.

I personally never saw the manga as better outside of a few scenes and fights. But it was popular to call the manga superior because the anime had animation issues and the fights were kinda wonky at the beginning of the Champa Saga. However, since the Future Trunks Saga is more story base than the previous arcs, Toyo's subpar storytelling is beginning to show and his fight scenes seems stale since the anime really picked up here, especially with all the 2-on-2 fights, while the manga wants everything 1-on-1. Toyo can't seem to do anything that doesn't copy the original manga or himself going by last chapter.

J4g3r

The speech shouldn't be necessary. One of the major points of the Future Trunks Saga, at least in the anime, was that Vegeta wasn't fighting for his pride or himself. He was fighting for his son's world. Vegeta straights up tell Black this when he said he didn't care to get revenge for getting beat up by him and Black notes how un-Saiyan like his statement was. Later, Black note that Vegeta got stronger so fast because of his anger. Anger for what he did to his son and his world. Finally, Vegeta was willing to fight alongside Goku and Trunks against Merged Zamasu without any ego. This is character development. Vegeta didn't need a speech like the Buu Saga to throw his Saiyan pride away.

So that speech annoys the hell out of me because it ignores al the character development Vegeta had up to that point and made him look like a freaking idiot since Merged Zamasu literally smashed Goku and Vegeta into the ground. There was no point of even humoring fighting him one-on-one. They didn't have to fuse, just fight together.

I haven't seen the whole manga chapter so I can't really comment on how it all plays out, but seeing that part and finding out that it's that which makes Vegeta agree to the 'last straw - sharing bodies with Goku again' is a lot better than him agreeing to it because Goku eggs him on.

I don't agree with it ignoring character development, it expands on it for me.

But that all comes down to how you interpret Vegeta's development as a character up to that point, me seeing fusion as being the absolute last thing Vegeta would want to do helps that I guess.

Slaythe

It never was better.

It's just that back when the show looked terrible on a regular basis, people deemed it unworthy and clinged to the manga.

Now it's pretty clear which version is vastly inferior to the other but they refuse to admit it.

I agree with what HeroR said 100%.

Except I don't even like his fight panels since many of them are sloppy and """""inspired""""" by existing anime/manga scenes. And some are blatantly ripped off.

HeroR

I haven't seen the whole manga chapter so I can't really comment on how it all plays out, but seeing that part and finding out that it's that which makes Vegeta agree to the 'last straw - sharing bodies with Goku again' is a lot better than him agreeing to it because Goku eggs him on.

I don't agree with it ignoring character development, it expands on it for me.

But that all comes down to how you interpret Vegeta's development as a character up to that point, me seeing fusion as being the absolute last thing Vegeta would want to do helps that I guess.

That is simplifying it. In the anime, he agrees to fused with Goku because both of them were beating up to the point of being unable to move and they already tried working together and it didn't stop Merged Zamasu. He then hears the fusion was just an hour, which is partly why he agrees.

It ignores Vegeta's character development since he shouldn't have to hear Trunks' story to be encouraged to fused given all he had seen and what Trunks has been through. It's basically a retread of the Buu Saga. Heck, even GT didn't go this route since it showed Vegeta's development by him being the one to suggest fusion, something that shocks everyone.

And fusion was the very last thing he did. He had to be broken to the point of being unable to move before he even considered fusing. However, what made the manga version dumb is that Vegeta didn't even bother to try to work with Goku. They fought one at a time despite Merged Zamasu knocking them over.

Except I don't even like his fight panels since many of them are sloppy and """""inspired""""" by existing anime/manga scenes. And some are blatantly ripped off.

The icing on the cake for me was when Toyo copied his own AF manga for the final fight against Future Zamasu and Black. Given how he wrote Black in his version, it was all so perfect. Honestly, I wished they hired the person who draws Multiverse over Toyo. Multiverse has some questionable things, but Asura's artistic skills aren't one of them. There are also other Japanese artists I saw whose drawings where far better than Toyo.

Also don't think people who like the manga more than the anime are in denial. I know someone on Kanzenshuu stated that the liked the manga more than the anime despite its faults because it feels closer to what Toriyama would write compared to the anime. And thinking about it, I do agree that the manga is closer to Toriyama's writings. He tend to ignore story elements and character interaction that the anime often fill in (ex History of Trunks). However, a much as I loved Toriyama, I am not so beholding to his story style that I believe someone who embraced his flaws is better. I also refused to believe that Toriyama would write Zamasu (all versions) the way Toyo did. For all of Toriyama's storytelling flaws, flat villains wasn't one of them. Even Cell, the most boring villain he has ever created Imo, still had some charm.

J4g3r

That is simplifying it. In the anime, he agrees to fused with Goku because both of them were beating up to the point of being unable to move and they already tried working together and it didn't stop Merged Zamasu. He then hears the fusion was just an hour, which is partly why he agrees.

Is this not the case too in the manga?

Like I said, I'm working with a couple panels here - I haven't seen the whole chapter yet.

HeroR

Is this not the case too in the manga?

Like I said, I'm working with a couple panels here - I haven't seen the whole chapter yet.

What happened in the manga is that both Vegeta and Goku were beating up by Merged Zamasu, the Supreme Kai suggested fusion, Goku asked Vegeta, Vegeta says no, Goku gives up, then he flies to fight Merged Zamasu by himself while Vegeta watches on the sideline.

Really, it's the fact that Vegeta doesn't bother to help Goku and is happy to watched the fight and wait his turn that ticks me off. If Vegeta said no, and they attacked Merged Zamasu together before being forced to fused, I think that would have worked better.

Slaythe

I honestly lost count on how many times I have seen this gif.

I never intended to use it nearly as much, sadly this is literally my face when I use it so might as well.

The icing on the cake for me was when Toyo copied his own AF manga for the final fight against Future Zamasu and Black. Given how he wrote Black in his version, it was all so perfect. Honestly, I wished they hired the person who draws Multiverse over Toyo. Multiverse has some questionable things, but Asura's artistic skills aren't one of them. There are also other Japanese artists I saw whose drawings where far better than Toyo.

The problem is that Asura draws perfect "saiyans", but literally can't draw softer characters like some girls or 17. Falls from perfect to "obviously amateurish".

I think Dragon Arrow Lee should have been the new face of Dragon Ball. =(
He does the Yamcha manga now ...

He rarely copies (except for obvious jokes) and has extremely good action sense. His style is also closer to the "Frieza" arc. It's full of detail and has the old school "grit". He's the artist we needed but didn't deserve. We deserve Toyotaro and his shitty 89980 transformations per fight given the fanbase. =( So sad.

40f766d22f19652d12cb6a29201b4d2d.png

6821f2d8b5d0f4be525d794fc99b7a3c.png

35aa40a4e85c2642e476d3c98f7b70b2.png

593dca974268d1db9331efda33c27e78.png

HeroR

I never intended to use it nearly as much, sadly this is literally my face when I use it so might as well.

The problem is that Asura draws perfect "saiyans", but literally can't draw softer characters like some girls or 17. Falls from perfect to "obviously amateurish".

He rarely copies (except for obvious jokes) and has extremely good action sense. His style is also closer to the "Frieza" arc. It's full of detail and has the old school "grit". He's the artist we needed but didn't deserve. We deserve Toyotaro and his shitty 89980 transformations per fight given the fanbase. =( So sad.

I don't completely agree about Asura's being unable to draw softer characters, but I do agree Dragon Arrow Lee is really good. His style is very Toriyama and it doesn't feel like it's stuff in the Cell Saga like most artists who copies his style.

RocknRola

I need this manga in my life so badly.

Skeeter49

Haven't read it, but the changes I've heard about for the Super manga sounds like a mess, but it's different and there are a lot of people who think it's better storytelling and pacing, so it's fine.

Slaythe

Haven't read it, but the changes I've heard about for the Super manga sounds like a mess, but it's different and there are a lot of people who think it's better storytelling and pacing, so it's fine.

Can we take a moment pray for the souls of those that think the manga has better story telling please ?

J4g3r

I see people praising how they fixed the power scaling.

While they did it seemed they just made a boring manga instead.

What happened in the manga is that both Vegeta and Goku were beating up by Merged Zamasu, the Supreme Kai suggested fusion, Goku asked Vegeta, Vegeta says no, Goku gives up, then he flies to fight Merged Zamasu by himself while Vegeta watches on the sideline.

Really, it's the fact that Vegeta doesn't bother to help Goku and is happy to watched the fight and wait his turn that ticks me off. If Vegeta said no, and they attacked Merged Zamasu together before being forced to fused, I think that would have worked better.

I just finished reading it and my final thoughts are that there are some nice instances in the chapter that would have been cool to see in the anime.

There's just so many odd choices in the manga and this chapter especially that hurt these moments though...

caliph95

I just finished reading it and my final thoughts are that there are some nice instances in the chapter that would have been cool to see in the anime.

There's just so many odd choices in the manga and this chapter especially that hurt these moments though...
I did like Zamas using his Kai powers though not at an expense of decreased tension and him being in general less threatening.

HeroR

Since no one posted this here:

New poster for the Future Trunks Arc. Possibly created for international advertising. Was posted on a Korean site & the Future Trunks Arc starts airing there in May. Thanks to TheDevilsCorpse.

C96kmGxUAAYUpWt.jpg:orig

Also, Young Jijii's take on the Vegetto Blue introduction page:

C96HWq3UIAETbw9.jpg

Colorized

C96HWq3UIAA74B1.jpg

HeroR

I see people praising how they fixed the power scaling.

While they did it seemed they just made a boring manga instead.

The manga didn't really fixed the power scaling so much as gimped everyone, especially Black.

Plus the manga has stuff like Super Saiyan 2 Trunks being stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku. Then Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta being stronger than Super Saiyan 1/2 Black, despite Black being stronger in base form than Super Saiyan 2 Trunks, meaning that Vegeta's Super Saiyan 2 is stronger than Trunks' Super Saiyan 2 for some unknown reason. Then we have Super Saiyan God Vegeta and Black getting such a big boost that he can stomp Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegeta as a Super Saiyan 1/2 before going Rose.

NeonZ

The manga didn't really fixed the power scaling so much as gimped everyone, especially Black.

Plus the manga has stuff like Super Saiyan 2 Trunks being stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku. Then Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta being stronger than Super Saiyan 1/2 Black, despite Black being stronger in base form than Super Saiyan 2 Trunks, meaning that Vegeta's Super Saiyan 2 is stronger than Trunks' Super Saiyan 2 for some unknown reason.

Eh, there are two issues there. Vegeta gets some hits on Black, but afterwards he releases a blast that gets completely blocked by an energy barrier from Black. Then he goes on about understanding why Trunks couldn't beat him and goes Blue.

The next chapter also states that Black deliberately planned to get wounded in order to power up from healing.

HeroR

Eh, there are two issues there. Vegeta gets some hits on Black, but afterwards he releases a blast that gets completely blocked by an energy barrier from Black. Then he goes on about understanding why Trunks couldn't beat him and goes Blue.

The next chapter also states that Black deliberately planned to get wounded in order to power up from healing.

And the problem is, Black didn't need to transformed if he planned to get hurt anyway, especially since Black's base form was above Super Saiyan 2 Trunks. No matter how you look at it, Super Saiyan 1/2 Black should have stomped Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta if Vegeta's Super Saiyan 2 is even with Goku's.

NeonZ

And the problem is, Black didn't need to transformed if he planned to get hurt anyway, especially since Black's base form was above Super Saiyan 2 Trunks. No matter how you look at it, Super Saiyan 1/2 Black should have stomped Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta if Vegeta's Super Saiyan 2 is even with Goku's.

He didn't want them to know that he was deliberately getting wounded though, since he was weaker than Blue by that point and could have been killed there. That same chapter shows Black blocking blows from SSJ2 Vegeta in base before transforming too.

He somehow just underestimated Vegeta's level though which admittedly doesn't make much sense - he didn't even seem to know that Vegeta had SSJ Blue. He could only have learned about Vegeta from the tournament or Zuno's explanation, and either way him not knowing about Vegeta's progress up to that point is kind of weird.

Since no one posted this here:

New poster for the Future Trunks Arc. Possibly created for international advertising. Was posted on a Korean site & the Future Trunks Arc starts airing there in May. Thanks to TheDevilsCorpse.

C96kmGxUAAYUpWt.jpg:orig

Also, Young Jijii's take on the Vegetto Blue introduction page:

C96HWq3UIAETbw9.jpg

Colorized

C96HWq3UIAA74B1.jpg

I think that art might be from the same person who did the Funimaion Part 1 art for Super.
Young Jijii is a lot better than Toyotaro.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My only problem with Jijii is I don't like how he draws noses. Dragon Garow Lee is still my favorite Toriyama stand-in.

One thing that really bothers me visually about Merged Zamasu in the manga is that Toyotaro made him muscular with a thick neck and just in general a lot more masculine looking. I think the slim, more androgynous look he had in the anime worked a lot better.
It also created a nice contrast for when he became a monster, but I don't think that part is going to happen in the manga.

Slaythe

One thing that really bothers me visually about Merged Zamasu in the manga is that Toyotaro made him muscular with a thick neck and just in general a lot more masculine looking. I think the slim, more androgynous look he had in the anime worked a lot better.
It also created a nice contrast for when he became a monster, but I don't think that part is going to happen in the manga.

Well to be fair, in the anime it's just Zamasu with Goku's hair.

Here it actually looks like a fusion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Manga seems to have sidestepped a lot and still ended up kinda bloated... Goku fighting Black, sinner Trunks, Trunks doing much of anything when they go back to the future, grotesque Zamasu, etc. Personally I feel Toyotarou could have condensed the whole thing massively and been better off for it.

M.D

When is female Broly supposed to show up? I do hope she is faithful to the original character at least in her fighting style

Less martial arts, more wrecking faces

Yhow9H0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom