• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocknRola

I think the first episode of DBZ I saw was the one where they referred to dying as going to the next dimension, when Chiaotzu blew himself up. I was so confused when that happened. Guess it was the Ocean Dub.

Maybe that's why I never had high expectations for him.

Vegeta really liked that line.
https://youtu.be/A4dfUJqiS4M

This was the first episode I saw
https://youtu.be/1fH18vY4wOE

Well, at least there is actual effort put into this one. So I can respect it, even if it may have some translation issues/mistakes here and there.

Slaythe

Cabba was on part with base Vegeta, and Cabba is the Yamcha Tien of Universe 6, so I imagine that Caulifla and Kale can at least rough up Goku and Vegeta a little in their Blue forms.

Well that wouldn't quite make sense.

Champa recruited his strongest guys.

Caulifla and Kale are shit. Kale will stand out thanks to LSSJ.

18 will take out Caulifla. Probably.

Skeeter49

Well, at least there is actual effort put into this one. So I can respect it, even if it may have some translation issues/mistakes here and there.

I just don't like them censoring death, in a show where death happens a lot. It's stupid in any context.
At least they fixed it later.

Well that wouldn't quite make sense.

Champa recruited his strongest guys.

Caulifla and Kale are shit. Kale will stand out thanks to LSSJ.

18 will take out Caulifla. Probably.
He chose who he thought was the best.

Renso said Caulifla had more potential than he did, and Cabba held Renso in high regard.

L Thammy

I just don't like them censoring death, in a show where death happens a lot. It's stupid in any context.
At least they fixed it later.

Nappa punches off Tien's arm. Earth's special forces stare, jaws hanging, frozen in horror. Tien screams in pain as he holds up his bloody stump.

Vegeta: "i can see his arm's parachute"

ElFly

I think the first episode of DBZ I saw was the one where they referred to dying as going to the next dimension, when Chiaotzu blew himself up. I was so confused when that happened. Guess it was the Ocean Dub.

Another Dimension is a totally legit Saint Seiya attack !!

HeroR

I didn't want to get into this but since you seem to be intent on defending every plot point and decision that Toei makes, I'll bite.

During the celebration dinner, Trunks and Vegeta are visibly distraught and aren't sure that what Beerus says is actually true. Vegeta mentions that they can't lose again and Trunks acknowledges that although a god was destroyed in this timeline, it probably wouldn't affect his own timeline, but mentions that Beerus gives him some hope that it miraculously worked out. Vegeta, Goku, and Bulma wouldn't even have had to go into the future with Trunks if they had that much faith in Beerus' word. So the four of them journey back to the past to check out the effects and have absolutely no plan B if everything did not pan out aside from a few senzu beans, which isn't an actual plan against an immortal.

No, I explained plot points that that the show goes into on. Whether you think these plot points are good or bad is subjective. 'Bad writing' is something is objective there are ways to measure terrible writing just like art.

Trunks is the only one distraught because of his past experience with time travel. In his experience, changing the past doesn't effect the future. He explained this in more detail to Present Trunks. But Beerus insists the he changed the future because when a god kills someone it changes time, so Trunks is using 'mortal logic'. Trunks nor anyone else have no way to disproved Beerus' claim and Whis does't take sides on the matter, meaning that Beerus' word may have some truth in it. Also overall, the gods know more about time travel and its effects than mortals, hence the time ban.

They had faith in Beerus, to a point, but they all still decide to go in case it wasn't the truth and Trunks won't be killed. The reason why they didn't turn back the moment they realized that the future was unchanged was because Trunks was worried about Mai and the others.

So all and all, the heroes acted in character with the information they had. They have been stupid about it, but it isn't 'bad writing' since there was a reason why they acted the way they did. It is no different that the heroes refusing to used the Dragon Balls to stop the androids.

Daingurse

Lol.

A month or so ago, I watched one of the dubbed Goku vs. Beerus episodes with my mom, and it was quite hilarious. She just kept asking why were they so loud, and why they wouldn't stop screaming. When she suddenly exclaimed, "Don't they ever get tired?!", I pretty much died on the spot.

I love Ocean Dub Vegeta. This moment is still the pinnacle of the series for me.

I've actually been ripping my "Rock The Dragon Edition" Ocean Dub DVDs recently lol. Had Ocean Dub running all day in the background while I worked. God I love that dub. Hits me right in the nostalgia.

Skeeter49

Lol.

A month or so ago, I watched one of the dubbed Goku vs. Beerus episodes with my mom, and it was quite hilarious. She just kept asking why were they so loud, and why they wouldn't stop screaming. When she suddenly exclaimed, "Don't they ever get tired?!", I pretty much died on the spot.

I love Ocean Dub Vegeta. I've actually been ripping my "Rock The Dragon Edition" Ocean Dub DVDs recently lol. Had Ocean Dub all day in the background, while I worked. God I love that dub. Hits me right in the nostalgia.
Kind of tempted to rewatch the ocean dub. Don't have a lot of memories of it, a lot of it was drowned out by the funimation dub.

We don't know how strong their base is. I'm going to guess one of their base, Caulifla being my guess, is stronger than Cabba's base, making them stronger as a SSJ.

We also don't know how
Fembroly
works. If it's a multiplier as well, or what the deal with that is.

I blame Toriyama for giving me these thoughts in the first place.

Fembroly as showed in the previews just looks like Ultra SSJ Trunks when he beefed up too much to fight Cell

latest

Dragon-Ball-Super-Episode-75.jpg

Daingurse

Kind of tempted to rewatch the ocean dub. Don't have a lot of memories of it, a lot of it was drowned out by the funimation dub.

Haha, I wonder what your experience would be like myself!

The Ocean Dub has a very powerful nostalgia factor for me, so I am quite forgiving of many of that dub's glaring faults lol. But still, I do find the dub to be very fun to revisit. Some of the liberties taken with it are bizarre, and often entertaining.

I also have to mention that I really dig the OST for the Ocean Dub. Some of the themes really enhance the big moments in the series for me. To this day, I hear Shuki Levy music in my head when I read the manga lol.

HeroR

For those who care Viz had the Super manga Chapter 24 out: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/digital/dragon-ball-super-chapter-24/5794?read=1

Amazingly, Toyo managed to make a plot hole for himself: The Supreme Kai said that he regrets becoming a Supreme Kai since if he was still an apprentice he would have the power to heal (don't know why getting a promotion would caused you to lose such power). Gowasu then said if he wasn't a Supreme Kai he couldn't used the Time Rings.... Toyo last chapter you said that Black and Future Zamasu weren't Supreme Kais, which is why their fusion will break within an hour. But both of them can used the Time Rings that only the Supreme Kais can use....so wouldn't that make them Supreme Kais? Toyo, do you remember your own plot points? I mean, even Toriyama usually remembers what he wrote just a chapter ago.

Also, only attendance of the Supreme Kais can heal is freaking stupid. And the dance around ritual was for awakening one hidden power by Old Kai, that was granted to him by an old witch, not a Kai ability. That's why the Supreme Kai was shocked when he saw Old Kai start dancing. Toyo....how can you make such a mistake? And I call BS on Trunks restoring people with realizing it and the fact that these people still needed Senzus. I'm almost certain Toyo pulled a retro retcon here. Why does this restore ability has a limitation of restoring one person as strong as Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan? I mean, no healing ability in the series had such a limit before now.

While it is perfectly in character for Merged Zamasu to play with his food, I find it really crazy that he's choosing to screw with Goku and Vegeta despite knowing that he has a time limit. At least anime Zamasu had all the time in the world to be a dick and even then, he was ready to murder Goku and Vegeta the moment they defused. This dick just decides to keep playing with them.

Finally, on Goku keeping Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan's aura within him so he can fight at 100% all the time. I like the concept since it brings Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan closer to its anime counterpart and cleaned up the messed Toyo made by gimping the form. Although, it makes Vegeta's training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber laughable and him getting Super Saiyan God utterly pointless. He could have spent that time learning how to keep the aura within him like Goku, proving once again that Vegeta practiced on the wrong thing. And why did Goku learned to do this? Was he practicing this when he trained for three years in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and why the hell didn't he used this when he tried to solo Merged Zamasu early when Vegeta refused to fused? Hell, why didn't he tried this when Black was handing Vegeta his ass? Since Future Zamasu is weaker than Trunks, he could of had Trunks fight him while he did this, probably saving everyone who died since they left.

And, Goku fighting Merged Zamasu evenly: taking hits, hitting Merged Zamasu hard enough to knock him over, and deflecting a giant energy ball from him. That's BS. Yes, Goku in the anime melted Merged Zamasu's face by piercing his energy ball and kicked him several times before using the Kaioken, but Goku didn't directly attack Merged Zamasu and they were never shown as even. The moment Merged Zamasu got seriously, Goku said they had no choice but to fused. Here, Merged Zamasu is serious and Goku is fighting him on an almost equal level, just by holding in Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan's power. Yeah, not buying it, especially since Toyo seems to be treating this like the Kaioken and Goku's body is breaking down. Overall, this comes off as a horrible asspull that in retrospect makes a lot of things look worse.

On a more positive note, I am glad Merged Zamasu is doing something besides shitting bricks. I would have loved to see this in his fight with Vegito, but at least Toyo seemed to have listened to criticism that Merged Zamasu's move selection was lackluster. Although, could he be a bit more original and not copy Janenba?

And Vegeta called Goku, 'Goku'. That's interesting and I am not sure if it is a typo.

Overall, this chapter wasn't good. Toyo retcon himself in several places and created a plot hole from what he wrote just a chapter ago. While Trunks' healing ability is out there, Goku's Kaioken like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan energy hold is the worse thing in the chapter. It makes Goku look like an asshole for not using this sooner. While the same can be said about anime Goku withholding the Kaioken until almost all his limbs were broken, at least that was explained episodes ago of being hard risk and could leave Goku forever crippled. This has no such foreshadowing and makes Vegeta's gains look like a waste of time.

pp1xMd3.png

vegeta is fucking comedy oh my god

edit: This chapter is a pretty sick read. I like seeing an alternate take on the situation. Merged Zamasu's
wormhole
powers are dope.

NeonZ

And Vegeta called
Goku, 'Goku'. That's interesting and I am not sure if it is a typo.
Viz already
changed one Kakarrot for Goku before for some reason.

ElFly

I thought as much when I saw Vegeta called Goku, 'Goku' twice. It just stands out since Vegeta never calls him that except on maybe twice.

it may just Bulma calling Goku 'Goku' sticking to him over time

it happens in real life when two people call the same person by diff appellatives

caliph95

I have so many questions about the healing thing:
-Why do only apprentices heal why would Shin lose an ability? wouldn't it make more sense for attendants to have it not apprentices ?
-I thought healing was a Kai ability since when was it dependant on your role?
-How do you gain and lose an ability?
-What purpose would that be for only Apprentice?
-Why was Trunks an apprentice when he's not a Kai, weren't they just training him for Buu did count as apprentice?
-How can Trunks be an apprentice and not know this?
-The whole energy just seems bloody convenient

HeroR

I have so many questions about the healing thing:
-Why do only apprentices heal why would Shin lose an ability? wouldn't it make more sense for attendants to have it not apprentices ?
-I thought healing was a Kai ability since when was it dependant on your role?
-How do you gain and lose an ability?
-What purpose would that be for only Apprentice?
-Why was Trunks an apprentice when he's not a Kai, weren't they just training him for Buu did count as apprentice?
-How can Trunks be an apprentice and not know this?
-The whole energy just seems bloody convenient

Seriously? You would think the Supreme Ka would tell Trunks what the hell the ritual was for. He could have saved his Supreme Kai if he knew about this healing power.

ElFly

you guys gotta realize that Toyotaro is just another fan like us, except he has access to Toriyama

so he will overthink weird details that Toriyama forgot about years ago, and when he cannot deduce an answer he will just ask Toriyama directly and then be even further confused

so he'd go "hey sensei why only Kibito can heal but not Shin"

Toriyama: "who?" *Toriyama remembers who this Kibito is and makes up stuff on the spot* "ah ok that's because Kibito is the apprentice and Shin is the master"

and then Toyotaro will go back to overthink this new detail and build a new bunch of rules in his head to accommodate it

but in reality, Toriyama created Kibito and Shin as two people so they could talk to each other, and once the plot needed certain situations to be dealt with he would just give them skills as the plot required, and Toyotaro is just further complicating the issue

I mean this is how main characters ended up with the most random abilities, like Piccolo and his magic clothing, and Goku and his telepathy

caliph95

Kibito is not an apprentice but an attendent though. Also wouldn't it make more sense the he had the ability because his role is to serve the supreme Kai which is why he had the ability

NeonZ

Zamasu and Kibito wear the same kind of outfit, which is presumably from where Toyotaro based his take on equaling the attendants to apprentices.

cyress8

Banned
pp1xMd3.png

vegeta is fucking comedy oh my god

edit: This chapter is a pretty sick read. I like seeing an alternate take on the situation. Merged Zamasu's
wormhole
powers are dope.

When the fuck will Vegeta call himself the king of all saiyans? Your Dad is gone, bro. Inherit that shit, bro. We know your little brother will never call himself king.

When the fuck will Vegeta call himself the king of all saiyans? Your Dad is gone, bro. Inherit that shit, bro. We know your little brother will never call himself king.

After he travels to Planet Salad in U6, beats the existing Saiyans, regresses to his evil ways and turns the U6 Saiyans into his own space slave army.

ElFly

Kibito is not an apprentice but an attendent though. Also wouldn't it make more sense the he had the ability because his role is to serve the supreme Kai which is why he had the ability

shin is such a disaster in his job that he prolly doesn't realize he's gotta train new kaiohshins for all the cardinal directions

caliph95

Are we now in the timeline where Jojo makes more sense than a Dragonball manga?
Not like Araki is much better than toriyama, considering how Stands works changed in part 3 and Dio's coffin, JoJo is just more OTT
Also weather report
shin is such a disaster in his job that he prolly doesn't realize he's gotta train new kaiohshins for all the cardinal directions
I could ask how was able to make Trunks an attendant or an apprentice and why if he didn't even know what it entails then but Shin is that dumb
you guys gotta realize that Toyotaro is just another fan like us, except he has access to Toriyama

so he will overthink weird details that Toriyama forgot about years ago, and when he cannot deduce an answer he will just ask Toriyama directly and then be even further confused

Toriyama: "who?" *Toriyama remembers who this Kibito is and makes up stuff on the spot* "ah ok that's because Kibito is the apprentice and Shin is the master"

and then Toyotaro will go back to overthink this new detail and build a new bunch of rules in his head to accommodate it

but in reality, Toriyama created Kibito and Shin as two people so they could talk to each other, and once the plot needed certain situations to be dealt with he would just give them skills as the plot required, and Toyotaro is just further complicating the issue

I mean this is how main characters ended up with the most random abilities, like Piccolo and his magic clothing, and Goku and his telepathy
That explains a lot lol

Lol, hit the nail on the head there.

ElFly

Not like Araki is much better than toriyama, considering how Stands works changed in part 3 and Dio's coffin, JoJo is just more OTT
Also weather report

I could ask how was able to make Trunks an attendant or an apprentice and why if he didn't even know what it entails then but Shin is that dumb

imagine the plan was successful and it was a faux pas to have a ningen as the east kaiohshin or whatever

now I remembered that Zamasu was a Kaioh originally and want Zamasu in King Kai clothes

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Fans often care about and curate things better than a creator does, or even can

There's things you do as a creator that become lost as you go through the process of creation. Like, yeah, he created Kibito as a random attendant and then gave him healing powers just because he needed them at the time. But it does create a whole slew of in-universe questions that do deserve to be explained. The fans don't see the mechanical necessity for Kibito's abilities, they see it as it's presented to them, while they're absorbed in this fictional universe. It's frustrating to watch when people like Toriyama are so flippant about this particular issue. Thankfully Super has been better than usual about continuity. Not perfect, but better

ElFly

Fans often care about and curate things better than a creator does, or even can

There's things you do as a creator that become lost as you go through the process of creation. Like, yeah, he created Kibito as a random attendant and then gave him healing powers just because he needed them at the time. But it does create a whole slew of in-universe questions that do deserve to be explained. The fans don't see the mechanical necessity for Kibito's abilities, they see it as it's presented to them, while they're absorbed in this fictional universe. It's frustrating to watch when people like Toriyama are so flippant about this particular issue. Thankfully Super has been better than usual about continuity. Not perfect, but better

yeah. Toei probably has a few writers who can talk about it between themselves and try to reason about it, but Toyotaro is prolly alone with Toriyama

rereading the relevant Buu chapters, the whole reason Kibito has healing powers is twofold:

-he has to heal Gohan after his energy is absorbed. this is because Shin leaves immediately following Yamu and Spopopvitch and Kibito is left behind
-once Shin and Gohan get the shit kicked out of them, Kibito is the one who heals Shin. this is because it wouldn't make much sense to have a guy who can heal himself

so basically the reason that Kibito has healing powers is because he is of lower rank than Shin, so Shin leaves first after the bad guys and Kibito just follows orders. after that it becomes "his job", but there's really nothing at first saying "Shin cannot heal". it just falls on Kibito to ease the plot. Gohan may as well have eaten a senzu seed, but once Buu beats Shin, it's better for Shin to be healed by someone else. Toriyama also needs Kibito and Shin to keep delivering exposition -although Gohan and Shin talking to each other would work almost as well-

once the old Kai appears, Toriyama fuses the old pair to get rid of having to draw Kibito. do notice that even after they defused, Kibito just doesn't appear as much in the anime

do notice that both Kibito and Shin can do "Kai Kai", the superior teleportation technique. there's nothing "apprentice/master" about it, teleporting around is just useful once the series becomes cosmic as in Buu and DBSuper, so we don't get Toyotaro making up rules about it because Toriyama already established both of them can do it. However Beerus cannot teleport and needs Whis to carry him around. that's because Whis and Beerus still need to work as a dramatic unit, but Shin and Kibito do not

Zolo

You can't be king if you have no kingdom, but you can still be a prince if you were there son of a king.

Ingeniero

I like that the point of the whole episode was that gohan is not even close to God level, they should keep it that way.
Only Vegeta and Goku should be allowed to reach those levels.

I like Caulifla, so badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom