• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

LordOfChaos

Him surviving that finale flash/kamehameha in the last episode with ONLY a raised eye brow makes you think he is still only at like 10% of his power.
At this rate I dont even see how vegito will even make him try properly.

If he was at 10%, Vegito should easily take him. Portara multiplies one power with the other, not just adds it.

If Portara is where they're going though I imagine they'd make it a close fight, which makes Jiren abso-fucking-lutely bonkers. Question is how long it would last with their current power levels. Only a few minutes left though so it could work.

Last edited:

Graven

As the tournament comes to an end if i could nominate my disappointments and pleasant suprises it would be:

Disappointments: Ribrianne(weaker than expected), Piccolo(feel off without even going all out, due to a gimmick), the entirety of universe 4(All gimmicky fighters).

Suprises: Dyspo(despite some slip-ups early on, ended up being one of the strongest fighters in the tournament), Paparoni(Anilasa was a very powerful trump card, i believe he is the strongest being after Jiren, despite being a fusion), Roshi(fought to the end, although the power up he got still buggs me).

Codes 208

If he was at 10%, Vegito should easily take him. Portara multiplies one power with the other, not just adds it.

If Portara is where they're going though I imagine they'd make it a close fight, which makes Jiren abso-fucking-lutely bonkers. Question is how long it would last with their current power levels. Only a few minutes left though so it could work.
IDK if it's that black and white because if that was the case, I'm certain Kefla would've been much stronger than she already was. But what we do know is that we've seen Vegito twice in the series and both times he man-handled his opponents who were considered 10's of times stronger than Goku or Vegeta.

Hell, he kicked the shit out of Buuhan before he even went SSJ (though the fight is technically filler since he went SSJ right away in the manga. Though weirdly enough they kept a ton of that in Kai.)

That was a really ,really good episode. If I have any complaint it was that how off model the characters were but it was made up by how well the action was for the entire episode.

Next week RIP Vegeta? Or will Vegeta actually get his due in this battle of number twos?

Atrus

Gold Member
Jiren's power is unrivaled by anything we've seen in the Dragon Ball universe outside of Zeno and maybe the Grand Priest. He just 'looked' at Vegita's Final Flash and it was gone. I'm not sure how this gets beaten outside of some Ultra-instinct asspull. They may just have to win by timing these guys out, only 5 minutes left supposedly.

This tournament was a bit unfair from the start as U11 clearly outclasses every other Universe outside of 7 and they had 7 clear up most everyone else. God of Destruction Toppo will likely need both Vegita and 17 to win, Vegita for his strength and fighting ability and 17 for his strategies. 17 really lasted a lot longer than I thought he would and is surprisingly one of the strongest 5 fighters in U7.

Frankly, being erased would be a good strategy to out Toppo. He keeps wielding his destruction energy unchecked so it should work as a technicality.

0DFl9xN.jpg

iUgpAT5.jpg

Graven

They are really championing 17, nothing particular against the character, but it's wierd to see classic characters being treated in such a lame fashion(like Piccolo), while 17 keeps amounting feats episode after episode.

grumpyGamer

I like the series, but for me dbz super lost what made dbz great, the enemies (mkst of them), have been made without originality and thought, they were canon foder.
Really expected more, i am old, really want my original dbz back 👴

Raynes

I loved Frieza this episode:
"So what about a God of Destruction?! That's meaningless against Golden Frieza!"
Was so cute how he refers to himself in third person XD
Beautiful engaging episode. 17, Toppo and Frieza were all so enjoyable to watch.

I like the series, but for me dbz super lost what made dbz great, the enemies (mkst of them), have been made without originality and thought, they were canon foder.
Really expected more, i am old, really want my original dbz back 👴
I mean I am no big Super fan either bt dbz was pretty shit as well, DB was the only really great series of the lot

Shouta

Damn, I love it when Freeza gets his ass-handed to him. It's always amusing even though I should be cheering for him.

Sakura

I think I rather like Freeza. He's pretty funny. He's always so full of himself, but he actually managed to survive that destruction blast which was pretty surprising.

Codes 208

I loved Frieza this episode:
"So what about a God of Destruction?! That's meaningless against Golden Frieza!"
Was so cute how he refers to himself in third person XD
Beautiful engaging episode. 17, Toppo and Frieza were all so enjoyable to watch.
I loved how his hubris (and ending result) mirrored when he got hit by the spirit bomb.

Also "Gives no fucks" Toppo is scary Toppo

sunnz

Really expected Frieza to survive the
destroy
attack and from the bright flash come as as GoD Frieza, a bit like goku and UI
A bit disappointed.
Overall great episode, fun to watch.

Was
GoD Topp
even rumoured or hinted?

Really expected Frieza to survive the
destroy
attack and from the bright flash come as as GoD Frieza, a bit like goku and UI
A bit disappointed.
Overall great episode, fun to watch.

Was
GoD Topp
even rumoured or hinted?
Fairly sure it was mentioned that he was at the exhibition match between U7 and 9 because of his status as god candidate to take over when Belmond retire

Codes 208

Was
GoD Topp
even rumoured or hinted?
Not directly. Though his relationship with Universe 11's GoD implied he was at the very least on good terms or in training similar to Goku and Vegeta's connection to Beerus.

Though outright, Jiren was definitely hinted at being stronger than 11's GoD and I expected him to be the main candidate.

Overall I've enjoyed Toppos's evolution throughout the arc. His sense of justice slowly fading as he begins to embrace his sense of survival.

LordOfChaos

IDK if it's that black and white because if that was the case, I'm certain Kefla would've been much stronger than she already was.

I thought she was suitably strong. The kiddos just discovered SS1/2, fused with an LSS. To give a challenge to SSB Goku is a feat in itself, let alone UI.

If it *wasn't* a multiplication, coming even close to tired Goku would seem completely wrong.

Did it seem Jiren was kind of disappointed in Toppo when he fully embraced his God of Destruction power?
I got that impression too. Like he had been fighting against himself about what to do (become a GoD or not) and finally just said to hell with it, I'm not going to die and take my whole universe with me for the sake of an ideal.

Codes 208

I kinda like the ring of Vegeta's new form being Royal Blue (I don't believe there's confirmation of that being the name but I've been hearing that one a lot lately)

off-topic: Kind of a dumb question but are Neophytes not able to insert images?

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
IDK if it's that black and white because if that was the case, I'm certain Kefla would've been much stronger than she already was. But what we do know is that we've seen Vegito twice in the series and both times he man-handled his opponents who were considered 10's of times stronger than Goku or Vegeta.

Hell, he kicked the shit out of Buuhan before he even went SSJ (though the fight is technically filler since he went SSJ right away in the manga. Though weirdly enough they kept a ton of that in Kai.)
Kefla was insanely strong though; ss kefla's power already rivaled the spirit bomb goku threw at jiren.
At ss she KO'd ssbkkx20 goku in a single kick, that's fuzed zamasu levels of power.
Even UI goku didn't harm her at all, it was his dodge hax that managed to push her off the stage.

Heck even with the UI dodges, she actually managed to singe goku twice with her beams, so she's literally the only one so far that managed to even "graze" UI Goku, even Jiren couldn't touch him.
She was honestly the most monstrous thing on the field when she went ss2, wouldn't be surprised if she could actually fight Jiren 1 on 1 or even beat him.

Also vegetto's strength isn't just the potara multiplying their power 10s of times, the elder kai also noted that the personalities of the people that fuse is important too; goku and vegeta being "rivals" adds a huge power boost for some reason.

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

I mean I am no big Super fan either bt dbz was pretty shit as well, DB was the only really great series of the lot
yeah, after the final tournament against piccolo everything went to hell, i liked the adventure, "the you need to become a better fighter and martial artist".
these days it´s just who transforms faster, not really much content

Codes 208

yeah, after the final tournament against piccolo everything went to hell, i liked the adventure, "the you need to become a better fighter and martial artist".
these days it´s just who transforms faster, not really much content
I cant say I agree with that. For starters the evolution into less of the adventure and more into the fighting-style DBZ's started mainly in the Red Ribbon saga when Goku fought TaoPaiPai and by the 22nd World's Martial Arts Tournament we go to and from Tien, to King Piccolo (not to mention Goku needing to use the ultra-convenient-plot-device-divine-water to power up) and climax with a brawl between Goku and Piccolo Jr.

The Saiyan saga feels very DB in terms of training and preparing for the saiyans. And the desperate battle between Goku and Vegeta reminds me of his fight with King Piccolo.

I loved the original Dragon Ball for what it was. It was meant to be a satire of Journey to the West with Son Goku as Sun Wukong, but frankly it was the fights against bigger threats that kept me coming back. As a kid during Toonami's original syndication the excitement of what was going to happen next during the Namek saga was what got me hooked in the series in the first place. Some of the most memorable moments in the series to myself and many other other dragon ball fans are those that contain the epitome of "Shit is about to go down" like Goku's first SSJ transformation, Gohan reaching SSJ2 to save his friends and even Vegeta kicking the shit out of Android 19

Don't get me wrong, DBS isn't without it's faults, in fact, it does bug me they've introduced so many new forms with either little to no explanations (Looking at you Super Sinner Trunks, Goku Black Rose and Ultra Instinct) but with DBZ each form has served a purpose (SSJ would be the staple of the series, SSJ2 was Gohan's way of earning his mantle and SSJ3 is...well it atleast gave us one of the best out of Bruce Faulconer's tracks, or at least out of the short list of his more tolerable music alongside Super Vegeta's theme, Gohan fights Freeza and Perfect Cell's theme)
But discrediting DBZ as whole is a major disservice to the series at heart.

I am however one who believes there is no redeemable quality about GT. SSJ4 looks awful, the villains were boring and unoriginal and EVERYONE got sidelined except Goku (and to a significantly lesser extent Vegeta for Gogeta SSJ4 but that's really about it.)

So as my friend says "The only character relevant is Goku, hence why they call it GT for Goku Time."

Really great episode, I've been very negative about this season since the start but I'm really enjoying Toppo fighting 17 and Frieza. It's way more entertaining than anything else so far. I'd much rather watch them try to take on Toppo than Jiren.

grumpyGamer

I cant say I agree with that. For starters the evolution into less of the adventure and more into the fighting-style DBZ's started mainly in the Red Ribbon saga when Goku fought TaoPaiPai and by the 22nd World's Martial Arts Tournament we go to and from Tien, to King Piccolo (not to mention Goku needing to use the ultra-convenient-plot-device-divine-water to power up) and climax with a brawl between Goku and Piccolo Jr.

The Saiyan saga feels very DB in terms of training and preparing for the saiyans. And the desperate battle between Goku and Vegeta reminds me of his fight with King Piccolo.

I loved the original Dragon Ball for what it was. It was meant to be a satire of Journey to the West with Son Goku as Sun Wukong, but frankly it was the fights against bigger threats that kept me coming back. As a kid during Toonami's original syndication the excitement of what was going to happen next during the Namek saga was what got me hooked in the series in the first place. Some of the most memorable moments in the series to myself and many other other dragon ball fans are those that contain the epitome of "Shit is about to go down" like Goku's first SSJ transformation, Gohan reaching SSJ2 to save his friends and even Vegeta kicking the shit out of Android 19

Don't get me wrong, DBS isn't without it's faults, in fact, it does bug me they've introduced so many new forms with either little to no explanations (Looking at you Super Sinner Trunks, Goku Black Rose and Ultra Instinct) but with DBZ each form has served a purpose (SSJ would be the staple of the series, SSJ2 was Gohan's way of earning his mantle and SSJ3 is...well it atleast gave us one of the best out of Bruce Faulconer's tracks, or at least out of the short list of his more tolerable music alongside Super Vegeta's theme, Gohan fights Freeza and Perfect Cell's theme)
But discrediting DBZ as whole is a major disservice to the series at heart.

I am however one who believes there is no redeemable quality about GT. SSJ4 looks awful, the villains were boring and unoriginal and EVERYONE got sidelined except Goku (and to a significantly lesser extent Vegeta for Gogeta SSJ4 but that's really about it.)

So as my friend says "The only character relevant is Goku, hence why they call it GT for Goku Time."
Your right about a lot of things, I generalized my opinion, so i will try to explain better,

until the buu saga, every character transformation has a meaning, the rage of goku when krilin dies, or when gohan transformed in ss2,
but with the new super, it seems rushed, they train because i want to get stronger, the transformations are shit( ss blue, goku rose reallyyyyy), it is just cheap anime, many of the characters of the tournament are just filer,( i mean fuck the power of love that those damn ugly alien chicks could not shut up about.)

they are just trying to make money, not actually trying to make a good anime, the original was thought and i believe the creator cared about the story, i believe super is a cash grab,

you said you disliked GT, i kinda actually liked it, i mean yeah who the fuck wants to see goku a child again, and i hated what they did to vegeta, but i did like the space adventure, and i mostly liked the dragon ball villains, especially the attention they gave to the 4 star dragon , because it was goku´s dragon ball.

basically i hate what they did to dbz i guess

So is it until Buu or including Buu, because so few, if any, new transformations and power increases mattered during that. It was literally all a stall for time to make more pages/episodes, even without arguing that everyone was an idiot during it (which we already had during Cell).

Frankly, that they used Blue as a reason to let Goku use KK again was rather meaningful. UI is clearly meaningful. Some of these enemies are legit threats. We have Frieza fighting alongside the main cast.

At least with Super there's a nebulous ceiling of how high anyone needs to get, (Beerus and Whis, rest of the angels, etc) we don't just have "Goku is strongest until next story arc, where he has to get stronger to beat bad guy and be strongest again". For that matter, we're seeing more interesting stuff here than we did for a long time with Z including strategy, actual sacrifice for the team and consequences (that may be undone but eh) of defeating an opponent whose entire universe gets wiped from existence.

Sw0pDiller

i don't understand why there are still some god's of destruction with their kai's on the bench while their universe is destroyed. there is this fox-guy and a lizard type god...

LordOfChaos

i don't understand why there are still some god's of destruction with their kai's on the bench while their universe is destroyed. there is this fox-guy and a lizard type god...

There aren't.

Those are GoDs from high ranked universes that never had to fight in the ToP, just watching the fun.

Their existence is another thing about the end of Super, why write higher level universes in in the first place...I still like the idea that U11 wins, U7 gets wiped, and we come back to Dragon Ball United or whatever in hopefully 2019 with Goku and co waking up to a merged universe.

Geki-D

Banned
At least with Super there's a nebulous ceiling of how high anyone needs to get, (Beerus and Whis, rest of the angels, etc) we don't just have "Goku is strongest until next story arc, where he has to get stronger to beat bad guy and be strongest again".
To be fair, in Z the strongest pretty much throughout was Gohan. SS2 Gohan was the most powerful character when he beat Cell and Ultimate Gohan was in the Buu Saga till Buu absorbed him and then himself became the strongest (not counting fusions because that's sort of cheating, in fact counting Buu's absorptions is too). Super on the other hand has these God characters that are really powerful, but they're pretty much equal to the fusions in that they're sort of cheat characters, you can't really compare them to the rest. Otherwise though, unlike Z, Super is the Goku show all the way (though I'm really far behind following the English dub, from what I've heard all of the characters get stronger but Goku always remains on top). I actually really wish they'd go back to Gohan being the strongest, it was way more endearing that the son surpass the father and his superior strength not be down to pure saiyan blood but his mixed species.

Last edited:

Raynes

Another beautiful episode. Toppo's battles were a highlight of this season. Frieza vs Toppo was great, loved seeing Frieza finally have a grudge against someone who's not a Saiyan, we got a chance to see things from his perspective for once. 17 vs Toppo also great, 17 showing his flexibility and how far his abilities can stretch rather than bruteforcing everything like the rest of the cast. Vegeta vs Toppo... loved seeing Vegeta lay the smackdown on a god of destruction and completing his character development from insecure destroy everything bad boy to I want to keep my word and I have people I care for now that I want to save. Toppo was also an interesting antagonist, seeing him go from Justice™ to "Fuck it. God of Destruction time" felt refreshing for a series which usually shows characters being stubborn in their motivations. Could have had a bit more background on Toppo, but not that necessary, I understood his inner conflict.

Haven't watched preview. Jiren cracked a smile, he never does that, cute!! But looks like he's going to use 16% of his full power now instead of the usual 9%. They didn't show Frieza's whereabouts, I'm sure he's going to pull something but Vegeta probably has his eye on him. Goku Ultra Instinct next episode hype! Hopefully that shirt will come off.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Vegeta went from fodder status to hero status with this episode! In the old days, when he does something like this nothing fucking happens.

Vegeta got some serious character development in Super while Goku stays mcdonald eyeing!

Poor Gohan fans though, still fodder.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Hmm... its mentioned by Picollo that Vegita gave everything he got and yet the preview for the next episode shows
Vegita back to his Royal Blue self.

Only 4 minutes left so I wonder if we'll get Vegito or Gogeta because Jiren doesn't seem to be phased by any opposition at this point, not even Ultra instinct Goku.

Top Bottom