• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

NeonZ

Just watched 129 and it feels like a new low for "animation" where two characters just face each other the fighting is implied through sound effects and slashes across the screen. While GT was corny, Super is just depressing.
I thought the issue was the amount of reused animation, but it was a neat way to show progressing power scale.

Have you watched GT recently or are you going by nostalgia?

Now that is a depressing fight. This is supposed to be a fight with the galaxy on the line and they look slower and weaker than Goku and Piccolo in the 23rd Budokai (not to mention all the reused animation and pauses - that video also is skipping cut-aways to other characters).

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I thought the issue was the amount of reused animation, but it was a neat way to show progressing power scale.

Have you watched GT recently or are you going by nostalgia?

Now that is a depressing fight. This is supposed to be a fight with the galaxy on the line and they look slower and weaker than Goku and Piccolo in the 23rd Budokai (not to mention all the reused animation and pauses - that video also is skipping cut-aways to other characters).

Yeah GT was bad, but I like the uh story arc better. Definitely better bad guys.

Codes 208

In overall quality and choreography i would say the best fights have to be (in no particular order:

-Goku v Piccolo (23rd tenkaichi budokai)
-Goku SSJ vs Freeza
-Goku v Vegeta
-Gohan SSJ2 v Cell
-Piccolo v 17
-Goku v Krillin (22nd tenkaichi budokai)
-Goku v (Young) King Piccolo
-Goku vs Jackie Chun
-Goku SSJG v Beerus (BoG version)
-Vegeta v 19
-Goku KKBx10 v Hit
-Trunks v Cell
-Vegeta v Goku Black (2nd rematch)
-Vegito Blue v Merged Zamasu
-Super Vegito v Super Buu
-Goku & Vegeta v Kid Buu

Maybe its a nastalgic factor but i honestly believe some of the best moments really have stemmed from DB and early Z. The fluidity of Goku v Krillin for example is some of the best of the franchise) Super isnt bad, far from it. But iy feels like the very definition of Akira writing in the instance rather the anime taking the manga and adding its own flavor to it. Hell, the manga version has a lot of moments where it ahines brighter than the anime (goku losing to toppo, the ending of the goku black arc, etc)

WaterAstro

Uh where's Goku vs Cell? It's my best fight out of everything.

I was just pondering something about Android 17. Since he's currently equivalent to SSJB Goku, which is way more powerful than SSJ3, where the hell was he during the Buu saga? lol
I don't think the Buu saga is that far from the present time.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Uh where's Goku vs Cell? It's my best fight out of everything.

I was just pondering something about Android 17. Since he's currently equivalent to SSJB Goku, which is way more powerful than SSJ3, where the hell was he during the Buu saga? lol
I don't think the Buu saga is that far from the present time.
He likely just didn't care.

Codes 208

New site for the movie is up, looks like itll take place after Super afterall!
http://www.dbmovie-20th.com/sp/

He likely just didn't care.
Toriyamaforgot.jpeg

No but seriously that was also a good fight. (The second half when cell started demonstrating his stolen moves kinda dragged for a bit though. But the Warp kamehameha and the near climax with mountains getting crushed by the force.of their punches colliding, good times...

LordOfChaos

really a 2 week wait for the finale?

So stupid, kills the momentum.

Yeah, would have preferred, as painful as the wait would be, a single three week gap in exchange for getting another 40 minute special.

109 and 110 are still my peaks for this tournament, and it's probably partly because there was no wait between episodes to break the momentum.

manfestival

i saw something that they confirmed that super will continue. which kinda makes sense. considering how awful the writing has been all the way through

RCU005

From Toriyama Comments:

"The content will shed a little light on previously unexplored topics having to do with Frieza and the Saiyans,"

If the movie is about Frieza again, I will facepalm so hard!... It seems that Toriyama is obssesed with Frieza... what a waste of a movie if it is the case. Hopefully not!

kunonabi

yeah exactly, i feel like it was rushed. but i can't say i hate her as a character.

The thing is you kind of have to rush it. These characters are coming in late with Goku and Vegeta far ahead to begin with, and you had Jiren as the untouchable big bad already. If you don't power them up then they're just jobbers. I mean it was already embarrassing that the two of them couldn't even take a "winded" Goku without fusing. Hell, Toriyama played the long game with Gohan just to piss it all away anyway. Do we really want a repeat of that assuming you can even get the Super staff to stop coming up with more nonsense transformations for Goku and Vegeta?

Codes 208

I just want them to bring back cell if they continue the series. Im sick of freeza.

Shed some light on his genetics, the fact that about a quarter of freeza's race (specifically him and king cold) of his dna, couldnt he theoritically also become golden? Or what about super saiyan? Goku and vegeta alone make up a quarter of his dna. (Enough dna to give him the zenkai boost)

In overall quality and choreography i would say the best fights have to be (in no particular order:

-Goku v Piccolo (23rd tenkaichi budokai)
-Goku SSJ vs Freeza
-Goku v Vegeta
-Gohan SSJ2 v Cell
-Piccolo v 17
-Goku v Krillin (22nd tenkaichi budokai)
-Goku v (Young) King Piccolo
-Goku vs Jackie Chun
-Goku SSJG v Beerus (BoG version)
-Vegeta v 19
-Goku KKBx10 v Hit
-Trunks v Cell
-Vegeta v Goku Black (2nd rematch)
-Vegito Blue v Merged Zamasu
-Super Vegito v Super Buu
-Goku & Vegeta v Kid Buu

Maybe its a nastalgic factor but i honestly believe some of the best moments really have stemmed from DB and early Z. The fluidity of Goku v Krillin for example is some of the best of the franchise) Super isnt bad, far from it. But iy feels like the very definition of Akira writing in the instance rather the anime taking the manga and adding its own flavor to it. Hell, the manga version has a lot of moments where it ahines brighter than the anime (goku losing to toppo, the ending of the goku black arc, etc)

You forgot the best fight in DB history

OsH_YZ.gif

Last edited:

TheChxsen

Neo Member
The thing is you kind of have to rush it. These characters are coming in late with Goku and Vegeta far ahead to begin with, and you had Jiren as the untouchable big bad already. If you don't power them up then they're just jobbers. I mean it was already embarrassing that the two of them couldn't even take a "winded" Goku without fusing. Hell, Toriyama played the long game with Gohan just to piss it all away anyway. Do we really want a repeat of that assuming you can even get the Super staff to stop coming up with more nonsense transformations for Goku and Vegeta?
Yeah you have a fair point there, well it was cool while it lasted. I'm just hyped for the final episode. I really hope it's not anti-climactic.

TheChxsen

Neo Member
From Toriyama Comments:

"The content will shed a little light on previously unexplored topics having to do with Frieza and the Saiyans,"

If the movie is about Frieza again, I will facepalm so hard!... It seems that Toriyama is obssesed with Frieza... what a waste of a movie if it is the case. Hopefully not!
As cool and awesome as Frieza may be. I was really disappointed in resurrection F. I felt it could have been much better. And as always Vegeta has to die or get the shit beat out of him, to make goku look better.

kunonabi

As cool and awesome as Frieza may be. I was really disappointed in resurrection F. I felt it could have been much better. And as always Vegeta has to die or get the shit beat out of him, to make goku look better.

I haven't hated a movie as much as i hated F in a very long time. I'm not even that big a Vegeta fan but that ending was absolute horse shit.

pramod

Banned
So looks like Frieza is gonna be the last man standing?
My guess is he's going to wish (with the Super Dragon Balls) that all Saiyans get depowered so he can easily rule over the galaxy again.

RCU005

My guess is he's going to wish (with the Super Dragon Balls) that all Saiyans get depowered so he can easily rule over the galaxy again.

These two last episodes will setup the movie. The fact that Toriyama said it would be about the origin of Saiyans and Freeza, then it's most likely that Fireza will win and do something to setup that. Also, the title of the last episode, seems like Goku will be gone, which might imply something about the wish.

He's technically dead, wouldn't he have to return after 24h?

Last edited:

God Enel

Wait. Today is the final episode or is there another one?!?

Frieza will win this Shit.

Btw my favorites are: vegeta, hit and kefla.

TheChxsen

Neo Member
Wait. Today is the final episode or is there another one?!?

Frieza will win this Shit.

Btw my favorites are: vegeta, hit and kefla.
Not sure if it's the last, I heard it's supposed to be ending in March. And I completely forgot about kefla but I feel like I need to see more from her in order for her to be a favourite.

Codes 208

Cell, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta and Beerus. Oh, and Freeza and Cooler.
Id say goku, but despite being the equivalent of a titular character, i just find him kinda bland. I remember seeing a meme that said "as a kid i loved goku more, but as i became an adult, vegeta made more sense"
And considering the gap in character development, i have to agree. I never cared for vegeta growing up, but now i see hes the perfect example of a villain turned hero.

Piccolo is still best dad though...

Last edited:

Codes 208

Good episode overall, but...
just...END THIS DAMN TOURNAMENT ALREADY TOEI! I WAITED 2 WEEKS FOR THIS?? TWICE!??

I was hoping the last episode would be an episode or two after the tourney, to give a proper conclusion that ends super with a nice bow, but now we know its probably gonna seem rushed

Atrus

Gold Member
Jiren is inexplicably strong and his character went from meditative zen warrior to raging killer of innocent people with no real explanation. For all the fanfare around Mastered Ultra Instinct, he was able to deal with most of it fairly easily until Goku remembered the power of friendship. Interesting twist at the end, it goes to show that neither the Grand Priest or Omni-King are omniscient beings.

How much time is left in the tournament? 30 seconds? It's all down to running out the clock now.

longdi

Banned
1 more final episode?

I guess Goku will get his win and wish everything back to normal. Boring!
Jiren generic af baddie now. :/
I wanted a Freeza win and ending with a cliffhanger. And 17 should stayed dead!

Another flat dragged-out ending like the Zamasu arc.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I am getting a weird Fist of the Northstar vibe from this..."you shall live long forever in my memories."

Yeah, that entire last fight with Jiren with Ultra Instinct totally gave me a Kenshiro vs Raoh and Muso Tensei vibe.... even like how Goku gets his power from his friendships.

Last edited:

Shouta

That episode was kind of good? The animation had great movement but it looked really awkward in a lot of places because of the models and some of the motions which is a real shame.

Crunchyroll getting hammered

It always seems like Crunchyroll is having problems with DBS, lol.

Top Bottom