• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

TheChxsen

Neo Member
Freeza was expected, but #17 still being alive was surprising.
Cool ep though.
When I saw that I legit got excited, as i mentioned in another post #17 done a lot in this tournament. I was shocked when he supposedly self destructed. But I guess no one really ever dies in dragon ball

Raynes

It felt wrong having Jiren fight with strength on par with MUI Goku... MUI is not just some strength and speed boost, it's a whole new ability where you can see past all your opponent's attacks and you can attack land multiple attacks without them noticing. Not sure how Jiren's power up means something against this ability. Go back to the end of 129, see the way Goku is fighting and moving with elegance, and now in 130 it's going back to the exchanging of lighting speed punches tatatatatatatatata, why? I feel cheated.
Anyway, I'm glad 17 survived. I hope Frieza gets some reward for his good behaviour after this tournament, Universe 7 would be destroyed if not for him.

sunnz

MUI should have done to Jiren what Ssj did to freiza. Should be no real stuggle.
Didn't make Jiren seem stronger just MUI seem weaker and a disappointment to me.

kunonabi

MUI should have done to Jiren what Ssj did to freiza. Should be no real stuggle.
Didn't make Jiren seem stronger just MUI seem weaker and a disappointment to me.
Eh, MUI already makes most of the cast totally obsolete as it is and punking out Jiren after wasting the rest of the competitors to make him into such a threat would be even worse.

NahaNago

That episode was pretty hype and I will say that it does make it seem like Goku has grown a bit characterwise due to this tournament.

LordOfChaos

Alright...Did we not see the entire arena floor get blasted to high hell with Jiren powering up, Gokus AoE thing when he was falling, ki blasts, and just punches? I knew they were going to pull the Freiza thing because they were trying obviously hard to make us forget about him or be unsure where he was, but un-killing 17 at the same time...This feels kind of sloppy. I know the regular responses are it's dragon ball, there's all kinds of unlikely things, but a show at least sets out the rules of its own universe.

Anywho, tbh, 109 and 110 remain unsurpassed for me this tournament, despite this being the penultimate fight episode.

That using MUI for under a minute just tore apart Goku and Jiren was matching that makes him unfathomably incredible, given that and his PTSD I hope he's not forgotten next series and they develop his character.

Codes 208

He did, if it wasnt for his body giving in he had crushed Jiren. He had him on the ground and was about to finish him.
And that is what made this episode almost horribly anti-climactic. He shouldve beaten jiren so that the next episode could focus on being the epilogue, now with 24 minutes left of animation, we'll likely just get a rushed ending to not only the saga but the series. And thats what frustrated me with how theyre taking this.

Last edited:
It felt wrong having Jiren fight with strength on par with MUI Goku... MUI is not just some strength and speed boost, it's a whole new ability where you can see past all your opponent's attacks and you can attack land multiple attacks without them noticing. Not sure how Jiren's power up means something against this ability. Go back to the end of 129, see the way Goku is fighting and moving with elegance, and now in 130 it's going back to the exchanging of lighting speed punches tatatatatatatatata, why? I feel cheated.
Anyway, I'm glad 17 survived. I hope Frieza gets some reward for his good behaviour after this tournament, Universe 7 would be destroyed if not for him.
It made about as much sense as Goku becoming more power than time when fighting Hit. In fact the Jiren Situation makes more sense since it just proofed that he's just that powerful so he can still react. I really wanted Jiren to crush the fuck out of Goku though

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I dunno why anyone is surprised that jiren does as well as he does.
UI doesn't mean you're invincible, it literally just means you move without thinking, however you're still subjected to your own strength.
With UI you don't suddenly become omnipotent or omniscient.

Comparing it to another anime with movement hax, the sharingan has similar properties; however even if the user can see and predict their opponents movements, it's still completely useless if their body can't keep up, or in other words, if their own strength is insufficient.
Goku's own strength is insufficient to dominate jiren because there was such a large gap between them in the first place.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
I dunno why anyone is surprised that jiren does as well as he does.
UI doesn't mean you're invincible, it literally just means you move without thinking, however you're still subjected to your own strength.
With UI you don't suddenly become omnipotent or omniscient.

True, but if Goku wanted (being in his Mastered form), that match with Jiren would have ended relatively quickly.

I feel as though the power gap between Goku (MUI) & the rest of the fighters is immense.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's absurd, there's like 20 seconds left in the tournament and his universe is at stake, and he knows from his previous activations that he can't keep it up for long.
There's absolutely no reason to think goku wasn't going at it 100%, heck he failed and needed the shounen trademarked "power of friendship" boost to get the upper hand.

JLMC469

Banned
That's absurd, there's like 20 seconds left in the tournament and his universe is at stake, and he knows from his previous activations that he can't keep it up for long.
There's absolutely no reason to think goku wasn't going at it 100%, heck he failed and needed the shounen trademarked "power of friendship" boost to get the upper hand.

Weren't there 3 minutes left before Namek exploded and the fight between Goku and Frieza lasted about 10 episodes :)?

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It was 5 minutes and it didn't take nearly as many chapters in the manga.
False equivalence anyway since:
There was literally 1 minute left at the end of episode 129, every ep before it took a minute of time.
So now they spread the last minute over 2 episodes, 131 is obviously not going to end exactly at the point where the time is up; it will prolly be over at the halfway point, making 130 use up more than half of the time left.

LordOfChaos

By 129, I was worried that mastered ultra instinct was completely going to blow away this guy who had been hyped for nearly a year of our lives counting breaks. Seemed way too convenient to get two powerups in 48 minutes and blow him out of the water, when he was mountainously stronger at the start. Even for DB, that's a very short time frame to work with.

The more I think about it, the more I'm happy with how this did go down. Jiren wasn't outclassed. Goku used true UI for under a minute and completely wrecked his own body - Jiren was matching that without any such tricks. And now Goku is in a heap again, and however next episode goes, it'll be down to 3 people in the end vs Jiren.

Put that way, Jiren is still every bit as incredible as he was hyped up to be, if anything unfathomably more so.

I really hope the next series gives him more character development given all that. Maybe that he finds he was with friends all along, and decides to focus on that and become even stronger for it, leaving him as an unmet goalpost for Goku and co, now that he has the Power of Friendship boost.

TheChxsen

Neo Member
I think it was just a way to prolong the episodes, but I totally agree, Jiren shouldn't be able to resist as much as he is.

naHWyea.jpg
IfIbVwX.jpg
xFM45Y1.jpg

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I don't really get Goku's motivation at the end. He gets more powerful after Jiren attacks his friends, but the entire universe is going to die if he doesn't win, so he should have been motivated to this extreme already from the get go. Goku was just look like he was fooling around all tournament, and he's just serious now because his friends got attacked. Really stupid.

Veggy

Goku is a really stupid character, has been from the beginning. I will never understand why so many people like him so much

Power of friendship plot armour always annoys me

TheChxsen

Neo Member
Goku is a really stupid character, has been from the beginning. I will never understand why so many people like him so much

Power of friendship plot armour always annoys me
His plot armour was Mastered Ultra Instinct from the jump. That's why I'm a Vegeta fan to the core

I know the shot was moving away from Goku, but goddamn the size of his arms compared to the rest his body in this frame is crazy ridiculous.
wR6cGbU.png

Mrcapcom

I don't really get Goku's motivation at the end. He gets more powerful after Jiren attacks his friends, but the entire universe is going to die if he doesn't win, so he should have been motivated to this extreme already from the get go. Goku was just look like he was fooling around all tournament, and he's just serious now because his friends got attacked. Really stupid.
I kinda felt like he just lost it when Jiren attacked his friends. Kinda like "hey its all fun in games between me and you but you killing innocents is where I draw the line" type thing, it was like a "how dare you" moment. Which kinda tied into the fact that he pushed him self farther than he should have out of anger and just crapped out when he was about to finish Jiren. Made sense to me *shrugs*

Yeah, I was seriously thinking Goku was about to break a rule when Jiren did that. Like you were a pretty chill dude, Jiren, but doing that was the dumbest thing ever.

RCU005

Random question, but what happens to this thread after the show ends? Lol

Hopefully stays in stand by, which would mean the series is not actually over. I still think that the last episode will hint about the movie and future of the series (hopefully).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’d still like to see Goku add on some power ups to further enhance UI to make it the power house it should be (kaioken, super sayin, ssj3, fusion, full strength UI) the later is impossible right now hahaha

TheChxsen

Neo Member
I’d still like to see Goku add on some power ups to further enhance UI to make it the power house it should be (kaioken, super sayin, ssj3, fusion, full strength UI) the later is impossible right now hahaha
If Vegeta some how attains UI, then a potara fusion could be a possibility. But then it would just be crazy OP

longdi

Banned
So this week is the final episode?
Kinda disappointed CUI is just another powerup+20. Was thinking it is some form of zen technique, something that the old DB would have went with.

Raynes

I don't see how they can wrap this up without rushing unless this is an hour long episode. The last episode was mostly filler, if they plan to wrap it up it in half an hour I'm going to be dissapointed, they could have cut out so much from last episode, had Jiren at least be defeated for a good long finale.

So Zeno and Grand Priest? Are the main cast just going to overlook how universes are erased just for their pleasure? Dragonball Super can be as ridiculous as it wants, but overlooking this pure evil makes the series garbage.

Last edited:

Shouta

The end of the tournament was really nice. It was a way better ending than this arc deserved, honestly. Well-animated, fairly exciting, nice shots in there. The closure was a bit rushed but as the show is likely just ending for a little while, it makes sense not to make it a grand finale.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
131 was lit as all fuck, very satisfying honestly.
It started off a bit slow, but when U7 started the offensive it was awesome all the way till the end of the ep.

Also the ending confirms this is just a hiatus; db will be back after the movie.

TheChxsen

Neo Member
The final episode was fire, honestly can't wait for the movie I hope they manage to make it as good as the ones from back in the day. Not another Resurrection F. What are your thoughts on the final episode?

Top Bottom