• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch out in JP this Fall, includes XV1's story

So we finally have info about XV2 on Switch. And as I kind of predicted, we're actually getting at least the Time Patrol campaign from the first Xenoverse also (I predicted we were getting both games ala Dragon Quest Heroes due to the long wait :p).

Here's the list of Switch info:

New Systems

- Ad-Hoc Co-Op Play – A first for the Dragon Ball Xenoverse series, using ad-hoc correspondence, you can play with up to six nearby players.
- Ultimate Techniques with the Motion Sensor – For example, by using the Joy-Cons with both hands, you can trigger a “Kamehameha.”
- Two-Player Joy-Con Battles – Battle against a friend on the same Switch using the two Joy-Con controllers.

Bonuses

- Limited Time Bonus – Experience the “Time Patrol” main story from the first Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
- For Early Buyers – A code to unlock the characters from the main story early. By using this code, you will have access to more than 70 characters from the start.

Not sure why the XV1 campaign is a limited time thing. Maybe you have to unlock it if you buy the game later...?

I'd link to the source but of course there's a scan. I think it's fine if I just link to the article and not the scan itself, but... better safe than sorry? If a mod says go for it I'll update the OP. :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The scan contains the official name of the Switch version, which is...Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch, indeed. Different colour scheming as well.

Ridley327

Getting (essentially) two games in one is a pretty darn good deal. Hopefully, this doesn't have anywhere close to the performance problems of DQH1&2, though expecting it to run at 1080p/60fps like the PS4 is foolish, to put it mildly.

NandoGip

Wow. Easily the definitive version of XV2. If this comes out with all updates, DLC, and the story mode from XV but with XV2 gameplay, this might be the best DB game of all time.

They are seriously winning with this series.

edit: about the limited time bonus... the original XV had SSJ4 Vegeta as pre-order exclusive so after fan backlash they changed their policy around for XV2 preorder DLC. it's likely they'll do the same here, even though it's still stupid as hell.

If it has the story mode of the first game and more characters is there any reason to get the first game? Anything still only in that version and not this?

Oh shit. Buying even though I own the first game. I haven't delved much into the second game either so this is perfect!
Includes the season pass too, yeah? I never bought it.

Tailzo

Hope it's 60fps.
After trying the DQ Heroes 2 demo both for Switch and PS4, I really doubt other ps4 ports will run nearly as good on Switch.

Edit:
That said, I still kinda want DQ Heroes for Switch. Maybe they could improve it for the western release?

Zalman

I'm not a big fan of the Xenoverse series, but it's hard to resist Dragon Ball battles on the go. The bonuses sound nice, hopefully they bring everything over here.

Welfare

Coming with XV1's story is an interesting way of getting the most sales early. The US version won't be far behind this, might even be an E3 announcement.

13ruce

Banned
Nice will wait for Switch version then nearly bought the ps4 version.

One of the best 3D fighter games imo.

DMONKUMA

After trying the DQ Heroes 2 demo both for Switch and PS4, I really doubt other ps4 ports will run nearly as good on Switch.

Edit:
That said, I still kinda want DQ Heroes for Switch. Maybe they could improve it for the western release?

If that's the case then I won't bother with it.

Kouriozan

Oooh, I also skipped 1 so I'm very interested in this.

Edit:
Well Heroes 1+2 was a rushed port for the Switch launch so I give Bandai Namco the benefit of the doubt.

OryoN

Getting (essentially) two games in one is a pretty darn good deal. Hopefully, this doesn't have anywhere close to the performance problems of DQH1&2, though expecting it to run at 1080p/60fps like the PS4 is foolish, to put it mildly.

I would hope they make the smart decision to prioritize 60fps, even if they have to run at a resolution between 720p and 900p, with some other minor cutbacks like shadow & filtering quality.

Edit:

During the switch conference in january it was at 60fps(you could clearly seen the difference with the footage of dq heroes), I hope it's still the case.

Ridley327

I would hope they make the smart decision to prioritize 60fps, even if they have to run at a resolution between 720p and 900p, with some other minor cutbacks like shadow & filtering quality.

I'd hope so, too. 60 fps makes all the difference in the world for the game, especially compared to its predecessor.

Revven

Hopefully the limited time only thing for the XV1 story mode is either a Japanese only thing (meaning all Western copies will include it for the foreseeable future) or it's going to be a Day 1 Edition of the game in the West.

The real question will be if it's literally just XV1's story mode you select from a menu outside of XV2 and thus features XV1's engine and gameplay wholesale (meaning none of XV2's positive quality of life changes to the gameplay are there). Or, if it will be XV1's story mode adapted/ported to XV2 so it has all the gameplay changes and maybe adjustments made to the story mode fights to better fit alongside what you experience in XV2 (so, no super armor BS and the last couple of sagas won't be as bullshit). Making it the definitive way to play XV1's story mode.

Hoping for the latter, expecting the former. Though, the fact they're putting in motion controls (going the extra mile) might indicate the latter will actually happen for the story mode. We'll see.

Certainly is a good value for this port, though. I'm sure it will sell much better than it would have without the XV1 story mode.

Hero of Legend said:
Characters and/or stages? Or does XV2 come with ALL of XV1's as well?

XV2 includes all of XV1's characters and stages.

Verder

If it runs well i might give it a shot - need to see a trailer first though.

Dont use them ?

I think they mean they are getting it literally the day it comes or gonna try to get it before it's even out for public

I'm really just hoping for locked 30 or 60

timberger

Ultimate Techniques with the Motion Sensor – For example, by using the Joy-Cons with both hands, you can trigger a “Kamehameha.”

Didn't they try something like this with that Dragonball Z game on Wii as well?

I remember it sounding like an awful idea back then too.

Didn't they try something like this with that Dragonball Z game on Wii as well?

I remember it sounding like an awful idea back then too.

It was really good though, Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was a great experience on the Wii thanks to that, at least for me.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think they mean they are getting it literally the day it comes or gonna try to get it before it's even out for public

I'm really just hoping for locked 30 or 60
I think you misread that.

Heh....you guys are right - sry.
Just not the reaction i would expect for motion controls on a DB title considering how the Boudukai 2 Wii adaptation turned out. Well maybe it works out better on Switch.

Memory

Loved it on PS4 but i've played it to death so will miss the Switch version. Great game to add to the collection though.

Kneefoil

That's cool, I guess. Already beat Xeno 1 on PC though, and I have no desire of playing through those fights ever again.

Top Bottom