• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot |OT| Nostalgia over 9000, just Saiyan

Verdanth

DvZc2C1.gif

Cvr1Fdo.jpg

NVczsQs.jpg

DKeo5DU.jpg

dP1fHGn.jpg

Bfb59Rh.jpg

wV9I46o.png

WiH5WoU.png

Metacritic

Open Critic

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Adding some content:

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I really liked that first 3D game on the PS2. Budokai Tenkaichi or whatever. I think it was called Sparking in Japan. Is the combat like that?

demigod

Changed my order and got the collector’s edition instead. Playing this with my son, we’re only at Raditz. He’s enjoying it.

Verdanth

Changed my order and got the collector’s edition instead. Playing this with my son, we’re only at Raditz. He’s enjoying it.
Same here.

Got standard day-one and I'm gonna sell it and pick up the collectors edition.

The game caught me by surprise I must say.

So far it's been great. I grew up watching Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball Z was my favorite of them all. The way they crafted the game, it really brings back my childhood memories. Great stuff here.

The combat is actually better than I was expecting and I barely have any skills yet.

Last edited:

jadefire66

I played an hour and was very disappointed. After the first fight with Piccolo, you have to do a lot of stupid crap like collecting apples and fish for Gohan. There are a lot of dialogues and the game is absolutely FULL of menus and RPG stuff. It just won't leave you alone. And then you get to the open world and it becomes a generic open world game. The combat also seemed to consist of button mashing.

Xenoverse was a LOT better.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I played an hour and was very disappointed. After the first fight with Piccolo, you have to do a lot of stupid crap like collecting apples and fish for Gohan. There are a lot of dialogues and the game is absolutely FULL of menus and RPG stuff. It just won't leave you alone. And then you get to the open world and it becomes a generic open world game. The combat also seemed to consist of button mashing.

Well it’s full of RPG stuff because that’s what it’s supposed to be.

Yamisan

Rpg stuff in what is advertised as an open world rpg dbz game? NO WAY

Kagey K

Banned
Great OT Verdanth Verdanth .

Im loving this game so far, I’m just early into the Freiza saga and really love all the small touches and references throughout the game world. The devs made this game as for fans and I appreciate it.

blackjon24

Fun game so far. The combat is really a lot more similar to xenoverse than any other dbz game.

Did you guys eat the Smiling ultra mega roast pre order bonus? Can't stand pre order bonuses like this. It always makes me feel like I'm cheating and throws the beginning balance of the game out the window. It doesn't look like I can remove it either so I just have it sitting in my inventory.

Kagey K

Banned
Fun game so far. The combat is really a lot more similar to xenoverse than any other dbz game.

Did you guys eat the Smiling ultra mega roast pre order bonus? Can't stand pre order bonuses like this. It always makes me feel like I'm cheating and throws the beginning balance of the game out the window. It doesn't look like I can remove it either so I just have it sitting in my inventory.
I didn’t I’ve only eaten the food the game forces me to so far and I can’t say I feel underpowered at all. Some of the bosses are a bit tricky but field enemies are jokes. I find myself annoyed with them sometimes when I’m just trying to explore.

kiphalfton

If there's a way to turn off the players commentary while in the field, that would be great. Set the voice volume to zero as I got sick of hearing piccolo say the same freaking thing over and over. Aslo the BGM music started to thet a bit annoying. Tineed that off as well. Mainly just playing with subtitles now.

Moses85

How about the loading times, a dude of mine (Standard PS4) is blaming about them. I eil play on Pro. Thanks

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Holy shit, you mean an RPG game has RPG elements? Stop the fucking presses.

Kenpachii

What’s the fighting style comparable too?

Don't play much fighters so i wouldn't know. However u got a talent tree and level up so u get new skills etc. It goes through the acts rapidly but also not to fast. Currently on the bu department and fights are getting hard. It also changes between characters so u don't play 1 char constantly which keeps things fresh.

Last edited:

Verdanth

No, didn't use any pre-order items. And I've been trying to do fights without using healing items. Turns the challenge a bit harder, especially the main boss fights.

demigod

XB1X. I imagine the loading times will be similar. (30-45 secs usually)

You using SSD or HDD? This is really annoying since the game requires lots of zoning. One time I timed it and it actually took 30 secs to zone. PS4 Pro with SSD.

mcjmetroid

Gonna hold off this for a little while I cannot afford to lose money at the moment but looking forward to hearing more impressions

Neolombax

I wanted to buy this, but the battles seem a bit generic? The enemies seem to use the same abilities, most of them anyway. Seems dull. Am I wrong?

Yes I'm aware that most abilities in the Manga series are in fact, the same. But I expected CyberConnect2 to take some liberties to make them more interesting at least.

mysticboy

I really feel like they should've pushed this back to November (PS5/XB launch). Could've used those extra 10 months to iron out those glitches and awkward animations, deepen the RPG elements (pretty basic), and add in important arcs and specials (Arlia, Fake Namek, Garlic Jr etc.).

But as it is I'm definitely thrilled with it so far. It's a great step in the right direction for DB games going forward. 7.5 - 8/10

Teslerum

Honestly, its my least favourite DBZ RPG. Everything about the Open-Worldish zones and activities feels tacked on, the side quests are some of the most barebones I've ever seen and a lot of the rpg elements are collecathonish more than anything. The world spaces aren't really interestingly designed either.

And while the game does recreate a lot of the story sequence lovingly (and moreso than any other DB game before it), it leaves out multiple little parts that still make the cutscenes feel wrong. Like for example Goku having trouble adjusting to the Gravity of King Kai's planet or Krillin's first use of the Destructo Disc against Nappa or Vegeta realizing that there's no moon, before using the fake one, or....
That's a nitpick though as its a result of the cutscenes actually being great in general, which make the missing parts hurt more.

The SNES Rpg (where you could take Ginyu into your party), Legacy of Goku II+III and especially Attack of the Sayians are far surperior imo. I don't blame CyberConnect2 though. It was their first real foray into the JRPG gerne and they focused on a lot of the wrong things, dragging the game down more than uplifting it.

YMMV. I assume a lot of people aren't going to share this opinion.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I really feel like they should've pushed this back to November (PS5/XB launch). Could've used those extra 10 months to iron out those glitches and awkward animations, deepen the RPG elements (pretty basic), and add in important arcs and specials (Arlia, Fake Namek, Garlic Jr etc.).

But as it is I'm definitely thrilled with it so far. It's a great step in the right direction for DB games going forward. 7.5 - 8/10
Fuck no. I didnt particularly care for fake namek (or atleast not until dbza) but garlic jr was just an awful filler arc that did nothing more than retread the same thing as the movie. It was boring and its better left off forgotten.

Oh wow CyberConnect2 did this?

Why the hell didn’t they just make it like Asura’s Wrath then?

If they changed the balance where its mostly real fighting and a lil qte then that'd be nice.

Honestly, its my least favourite DBZ RPG. Everything about the Open-Worldish zones and activities feels tacked on, the side quests are some of the most barebones I've ever seen and a lot of the rpg elements are collecathonish more than anything. The world spaces aren't really interestingly designed either.

And while the game does recreate a lot of the story sequence lovingly (and moreso than any other DB game before it), it leaves out multiple little parts that still make the cutscenes feel wrong. Like for example Goku having trouble adjusting to the Gravity of King Kai's planet or Krillin's first use of the Destructo Disc against Nappa or Vegeta realizing that there's no moon, before using the fake one, or....
That's a nitpick though as its a result of the cutscenes actually being great in general, which make the missing parts hurt more.

The SNES Rpg (where you could take Ginyu into your party), Legacy of Goku II+III and especially Attack of the Sayians are far surperior imo. I don't blame CyberConnect2 though. It was their first real foray into the JRPG gerne and they focused on a lot of the wrong things, dragging the game down more than uplifting it.

YMMV. I assume a lot of people aren't going to share this opinion.

I agree, the presentation is severely lacking and they're rushing a bit too much through the stories. Currently at early frieza

Top Bottom