• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot Review Thread

Mista

Banned
dragon-ball-z-kakarot-strongest-character.jpg

Destructoid: Unscored
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot might be an all too familiar trip down memory lane, but so far it's fun enough and much more pointed than some of the aimless DBZ games of old. We'll see if it doesn't overstay its welcome.

TheSixthAxis: 7/10
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot displays unparalleled care and respect for the iconic story arcs it adapts. The original music is there, original Dragon Ball characters return, and pivotal moments are gorgeously animated. If these were stories being presented in video game format for the first time, it would be a mind-blowing experience. Unfortunately, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot doesn't push the envelope enough to warrant sitting through the Cell Saga for the umpteenth time and seeing Frieza get obliterated yet again. If you've played a Dragon Ball Z game before, you've basically played this one.

ACG: Wait For A Sale

HobbyConsolas: 85/100
A true gift to any Dragon Ball fan that works really well as an open world ARPG. It's not without flaws, but its length and dynamics are a safe bet.

Windows Central: 3.5/5
Overall, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot is a good game, but it may not appeal to everyone. If you've seen the anime series, you know what to expect already. This can make the entire game seem a bit dull because there are no surprises. However, if you're looking for an experience where you can relive the best Dragon Ball Z moments – and get immersed in an open world with varying environments – then you should pick it up.

Gameblog: 8/10
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot is the best way to play through the entirety of DBZ's story. No other Dragon Ball game even comes close when it comes to immersion. While imperfect (the frequent and long loading screens are a pain for example), the game is a must have for any fan who has ever dreamed of living in the Dragon World.

OpenCritic: 77
kgoDEQH.png

MetaCritic: 81
XinrKAO.png

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I’m liking what I’ve played from it so far, but I didn’t go in expecting much. I thought it would be a high 60s low 70s game. Have to play more before forming a solid opinion though.

I do like that they pay a bunch of homage to the original Dragon Ball series and tell some backstory in the loading screens for newcomers.

VertigoOA

Banned
A lot of reviews are docking points for retelling a story that has already been told. I bet these same reviewers have no problem giving a remaster or remake a 9/10. Looking forward to the 9/10's for FF7 Remake ROFL

Last Jedi got reviewed as being daring and original while blatantly ripping off both ESB and RotJ. Reviewers are clueless

My DBZ days are over but I would’ve ate this up a decade ago.

Last edited:

RiverMan

Neo Member
A lot of reviews are docking points for retelling a story that has already been told. I bet these same reviewers have no problem giving a remaster or remake a 9/10. Looking forward to the 9/10's for FF7 Remake ROFL

DBZ games are kinda like Madden at this point. There's a new one out every year, and Story Mode has to retread the same sagas because that's just Z canon. Where else can it go, other than timeline meddling like in Xenoverse?

What intrigues me about this one is that it sounds like a Legacy of Goku trilogy remake in a 3D open world. It has my attention, but I'd like to learn more before I make a decision. What I'm really hoping is that an original Dragon Ball campaign gets introduced as DLC. That would push my purchasing consideration from "maybe" into "most likely yes."

Last edited:

Codes 208

I can live with 7.5-8/10

its not the 3d Legacy of goku trilogy i was hoping for but its byfar the damn closest we’ll ever get at this point

Last edited:

Codes 208

DBZ games are kinda like Madden at this point. There's a new one out every year, and Story Mode has to retread the same sagas because that's just Z canon. Where else can it go, other than timeline meddling like in Xenoverse?

What intrigues me about this one is that it sounds like a Legacy of Goku trilogy remake in a 3D open world. It has my attention, but I'd like to learn more before I make a decision. What I'm really hoping is that an original Dragon Ball campaign gets introduced as DLC. That would push my purchasing consideration from "maybe" into "most likely yes."
Madden releases annually (from the same dev team i might add) There definitely times we get an annual set but if i recall we didnt get a dbz game last year, and there was a year or teo grace period between xenoverse 2 and fighterz, and all three of these games are by different dev teams.

Last edited:

Oddspeak

Kakarot looks like the DBZ game I've dreamed of since I was a kid -- an open world RPG where you can fly around and do whatever you want, and a massive story that covers every saga of the series. I'd let my 11-year-old self down if I didn't pick up this game and at least try it.

cireza

Banned
Amazing. Can we get Burst Limit 2 now ? I'd like to play a good 1 on 1 fighting game with proper 2D gameplay.

Last edited:

StormCell

Since this gen. Anything under 9 is bad

Nobody gave a damn about reviews nor all those tech analysis last gen and everybody had fun

Just the more new shit we get introduced, the more clowns we get to see showing up.

Nah, it's that way in just about everything and isn't anything new. Do you remember the Infamous Gerstman 8.8?? Another way to look at this is look at all the surveys you are likely given. If you answer any surveys for service given to you and you provide the person with a 4 out of 5 stars rating, you just made their life worse without knowing it, because anything less than a 5/5 is subpar and needs improvement.

Yet another way to look at it is go onto Amazon. Search for something you're thinking about buying. I bet you basically ignore anything under 4 out of 5 stars and you probably prefer 4.5/5 or better. That's conditioning.

So naturally I look at this very beautiful game, and without playing it I'm noticing people are having fun. The audio sounds terrific. The visuals are very nice and on par. I feel like anything less than an 8 for this game, when it's primarily because the anime story has been told to death, is a disservice to the game when 50% of the stuff coming out right now are remakes and remasters. It's like a sort of bias because the subject matter of the game is a TV show.

Anyway, it's just an opinion I have. If everyone wants to think 7's are fine, that's great. I agree. But in almost all cases of reviews on a 5 or 10 scale, anything below a 4/5 or 8/10 is generally not very good.

Kagey K

Banned
Oof I would have missed a lot of fun games if I had taken that approach to gaming and review scores. That’s an unfortunate way to see gaming and puts too much stock in what other people think.

I’m almost to the end of the Saiyan Saga now and the game has really grown on me, it just oozes Dragon Ball charm and all I want to do is sit down and play more.

The small touches really help immerse you in the world.

My only gripe is one that I have with most modern Dragon Ball stuff, they basically wiped Oolong from existence. I haven’t seen him once yet, I don’t get why he gets written out of everything.

Karak

I think you will see not only the normal spread of reviews for a game but especially for those who play it all the way through, a divergence that's pretty noticeable. That is just my opinion after more than 30 hours with it.

SLB1904

Banned
Kakarot looks like the DBZ game I've dreamed of since I was a kid -- an open world RPG where you can fly around and do whatever you want, and a massive story that covers every saga of the series. I'd let my 11-year-old self down if I didn't pick up this game and at least try it.
fuck! now i have to get it

Kagey K

Banned
I think you will see not only the normal spread of reviews for a game but especially for those who play it all the way through, a divergence that's pretty noticeable. That is just my opinion after more than 30 hours with it.
Those that play it all the way through are going to rate it higher or lower? Im not quite understanding your post and I’m only like 5 hours in.

Moses85

7-8 /70-80 means

A true homage to DBZ Fans. Deal with it!

Looking forward to play this game on Monday, as soon as I come home from the hospital.

Karak

Thanks for posting my review. Overall a pretty ok game but its a bit frontloaded, or not as deep as it probably should be and overstayed its welcome by the end. I am not sure how folks will react to the fighting system but in the first hours I thought it was cool then it started wearing thing.

Kagey K

Banned
Did they copy paste the Xenoverse Gameplay into this one for the most part?
No it’s more like Ultimate Storm.

I personally prefer the combat in this then Xenoverse, but after I finish this and take a bit of a break I think I’m going to go back and give Xenoverse 2 another shot.

Soodanim

Thanks for posting my review. Overall a pretty ok game but its a bit frontloaded, or not as deep as it probably should be and overstayed its welcome by the end. I am not sure how folks will react to the fighting system but in the first hours I thought it was cool then it started wearing thin.
Just finished watching. I've never actually played a DBZ game, and it doesn't look like I need to be in a rush to change that. As you said, maybe in a sale. Thanks for the review, good work.

Last edited:

royox

Amazing. Can we get Burst Limit 2 now ? I'd like to play a good 1 on 1 fighting game with proper 2D gameplay.

FighterZ?

I absolutely loved Burst Limit tho. Best fighter dbz game since Budokai 3. A shame it ended on cell saga.

cireza

Banned
FighterZ?
I dislike this game for several reasons, but I don't want to derail the thread. Budokai/Burst Limit were actually the closest to a good 2D gameplay in my opinion, they were not perfect sure, but they were fun and not built around stupid combos.

Larxia

I dislike this game for several reasons, but I don't want to derail the thread. Budokai/Burst Limit were actually the closest to a good 2D gameplay in my opinion, they were not perfect sure, but they were fun and not built around stupid combos.
And to this day Burst Limit is still the best looking DBZ game in my opinion (outside of FighterZ, but fighterZ is a specific different case). Burst Limit look cleaner, with a better, more natural color palette. I don't get why so many anime games look so dated and bad these days, with too much contrast, too saturated colors etc... it seems like some devs really can't manage to get a good looking anime style color palette. It's weird because it's CyberConnect2 working on this game and they made the naruto storm games, which are in my opinion the best looking anime games, with KurtzPel too recently.
The grass in DBZ Kakarot almost look like some toxic flashy material, it doesn't feel comfy, doesn't encourage exploring, there's something weird and cold about it.

Last edited:

Protocol7

So I was just told the game is censored Oo...
I don't get why they did that...
Can anyone confirmed that? Hopefully the JP version isn't...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Tempted to buy but I’m getting Game Pass vibes. Should I wait?
Good point...but I might wait for a price drop and purchase only because I want them to keep doing this. Or I might just let the kid in me win and buy it tonight.

Either way, I want more games like this so I'll do my part.

Dory16

Banned
Good point...but I might wait for a price drop and purchase only because I want them to keep doing this. Or I might just let the kid in me win and buy it tonight.

Either way, I want more games like this so I'll do my part.
I know, I grew up on DBZ too and would love to play through the story with all the great memories but not at full price lol. I guess I'll wait fro a price drop. It's not like my backlog is thin or anything. Children of Morta is a blast.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I know, I grew up on DBZ too and would love to play through the story with all the great memories but not at full price lol. I guess I'll wait fro a price drop. It's not like my backlog is thin or anything. Children of Morta is a blast.
Yea I saw that just came out on Gamepass.

Fbh

Karak's review was posted, watching now.

Yeah I think I'll wait for a sale.
I've been wanting a single player DBZ game for a while but this looks rather bland. Having it be single player was the perfect chance to make something interesting with the combat but what I'm seeing here looks fairly similar to the 2 billion 3D fighters they have released over the past few years.

Also what happened to CyberConnect2? Not only have their visuals not advanced at all since last gen, they seem to have gotten worse in some ways

Last edited:

garballax

Yeah I think I'll wait for a sale.
I've been wanting a single player DBZ game for a while but this looks rather bland. Having it be single player was the perfect chance to make something interesting with the combat but what I'm seeing here looks fairly similar to the 2 billion 3D fighters they have released over the past few years.

Also what happened to CyberConnect2? Not only have their visuals not advanced at all since last gen, they seems to have gotten worse in some ways
Bandai-Namco needs to have their publishing rights to Dragon Ball games taken away. i don't think they're solely to blame but they're definitely the biggest part of the problem.

Here goes! Here goes! Here goes! Here goes! Here goes! Here goes! Here goes! Here goes! Here goes...

Gameplay looks like shit, that's my review.

Top Bottom