• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 coming to PS4 and 3DS in Japan in August

Sophia

The only issues I can think of are the aspect ratio (they're portrait mode only) that led to weird scaling on the map, and the lack of buttons (can't say I minded).

I haven't seen how the versions unlocked in DQXI work, but I assume they fix this.

gblues mentioned the scaling bug for DQ1/2 mobile, which sucks.

As far as Dragon Quest 3 goes, there's a few more issues then that. The battle animations from the SNES version are missing (despite using the same spritework), and the Pachisi minigame is also absent. The second bonus dungeon from the GBC version is also absent (which makes sense, as it's based off the SNES version)

Is there a consesus of which one of these are best? I hear people like V an awful lot, which is not part of this.

Of these three, DQ3 undeniably. Of the series overall, you're going to get people saying DQ3, DQ4, DQ5, or DQ8, more often than not.

The DQ4 people are correct.

ggx2ac

gblues mentioned the scaling bug for DQ1/2 mobile, which sucks.

As far as Dragon Quest 3 goes, there's a few more issues then that. The battle animations from the SNES version are missing (despite using the same spritework), and the Pachisi minigame is also absent. The second bonus dungeon from the GBC version is also absent (which makes sense, as it's based off the SNES version)

Oh... And I'm almost finished with Dragon Quest 3 on Android. Oh well, if it comes out on the 3DS in the west I'll probably get it again assuming those issues aren't there.

NolbertoS

Will hexabuy these games again, if they come out West for 3DS and Switch. Bought I, II and III on NES, GBC, IOS, Android, Wii(DQ 25th anniversary japanesr set) and now 3DS

Sophia

Oh... And I'm almost finished with Dragon Quest 3 on Android. Oh well, if it comes out on the 3DS in the west I'll probably get it again assuming those issues aren't there.

The second bonus dungeon will almost certainly be missing, as I believe it's exclusive to the Gameboy Color version of the game.

As for the other stuff, who knows? It's not major tho, but the omissions of them are certainly odd.

Cranzor

I wonder if these will have a western release soon. I was going to start the GBC version of the first game soon, but I'll wait for the 3DS version if that gets announced.

Madao

i recently got 4 and 5 since i had 6, 7 and 8 (only started playing a bit of 8 so far). sounds like going all the way is possible once they confirm these for the west. i'd still need to get 9 too.

3 > 1 > 2.

People should skip two, I regret wasting my time on that game.

2 on mobile is completely fine, really the only irritant left from that remake is the cavern of rhone layout but even then the real complain always was that you could go through the cavern without having all the sigils in the first place, completely wasting your time.

ggx2ac

The second bonus dungeon will almost certainly be missing, as I believe it's exclusive to the Gameboy Color version of the game.

As for the other stuff, who knows? It's not major tho, but the omissions of them are certainly odd.

Now that you mention it, it is funny how the enemy attack never had animations. Maybe they wanted to cut down on playtime during battle since this is for mobile?

I'd hate it if the spellcasters I was fighting in
Baramos Castle
were all casting Kacrackle (Might be a different spell name to the original DW3 for those wondering) because that would make the battles feel longer.

Berordn

If they come west, I hope they rethink the old English from the mobile versions...

The dialects probably aren't going anywhere. DQH2 is the most recent western release and still had them and if these are just ports of the mobile versions there'd be no good reason to localize them again.

scamander

Banned
I really hope they'll bring IV-VI after that as well. I know the DS cards are already playable, but those are long gone now and in Europe V is crazy expensive.

Goody

Awesome, awesome news. Hopefully they can just use the mobile translations and get them out outside of Japan quickly.

KtSlime

I really hope they'll bring IV-VI after that as well. I know the DS cards are already playable, but those are long gone now and in Europe V is crazy expensive.

If you want a game at retail price you should buy it closer to launch. Part of the problem of not getting SE to release DQ games in the west is people don't buy them, then a little while after there is always someone who is like 'why don't we get DQ games here'.

That said, I imagine they will re-release the smartphone versions of 4-8 on PS4 and Switch in the near future since SE has already finished releasing most of DQ and FF on smartphone they need another stable way of monetizing their classics.

asagami_

Banned
Fantastic news :) Now, if they also release the DS games in 3DS (better in a collection a la Ace Attorney) would be amazing.

Huh... yeah... with this you'd be able to play every game on the 3DS, wouldn't you?

DQ 1, 2, 3 have these 3DS ports
DQ 4, 5, and 6 have DS remakes
DQ 7 has a 3DS remake
DQ 8 has a 3DS port
DQ 9 was on the DS to begin with.
DQ 10 was ported (even if it's Japan only)

Interesting. Guess someone at Square wanted to complete the colleciton.

Is 10 any better nowadays on 3DS ? It was a total mess at launch since it is not a game running on the hardware but a "streamed" PC version and it was barely playable, SE had to pull it off I remember.

scamander

Banned
If you want a game at retail price you should buy it closer to launch.

I didn't knew the series exists in the first place, when they released those games.

Part of the problem of not getting SE to release DQ games in the west is people don't buy them, then a little while after there is always someone who is like 'why don't we get DQ games here'.

The first game they even released in Europe was Dragon Quest VIII (!), which is probably the reason why I (and many others) didn't/ don't know the series exists in the first place.
So I'd say the problem is Square Enix's handling of this franchise in the West. You can't blame people for not knowing about your franchise, when you ignored the market they live in for 20 years and didn't even advertise the games that did came over.

I bought Dragon Quest VII and VIII day one on 3DS and will continue to do so should they release the older games on it. I sure as hell won't take the blame for not buying IV-VI on DS, though, when Squeenix didn't even try with those.

PSFan

SE, if you localize these with DQ XI, I will happily double dip and buy both versions of all 3. Already planning to buy both versions of DQ XI.

Pepboy

Dq3 in the 11 engine would be freaking amazing

They did one interview stating they recreated DQ3's Alihan in DQXI engine (unreal 4) as an early proof of concept / to get proportions correct. The interview ended with the director saying something vague like "I hope one day we can show everyone it"

My guess is DQ3 remake is being made in DQXI engine and will be the next mainline DQ game/remake. The last remake of 3 was SNES (unless we count mobile ports). DQ3 is the one that "started it all" in many ways.

I have been pretty spot on in the past few months regarding DQ, correctly predicting DQ Builders 2 with coop would be the next spinoff after DQXI. But I could be way off.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aren't the character sprites the SNES version?

I think what seems to be redone are the enemy sprites.

john tv

I'm feeling a bit sick after watching this. Man, I hate how that looks.
DQ3 looks a lot better than DQ1 and DQ2. Still, it's nice to have these versions on a platform where you can play them with an actual controller instead of that touch-screen garbage on phones!

Pepboy

Who didn't? :p

Aww! I was pretty proud, haha.

Some thought because they shut down/reorganized the team who did DQ Builders, plus the special Sony engine, it'd be the last DQ Builders for a while. But I guess it wasn't that hard a prediction with the strong-ish sales.

Ydelnae

The enemies look fine to me, it's the character sprites (specifically, the hero) that look weirdly upscaled.

auwI6i6.png

I checked out the mobile port of 3, looks just like the snes one (DQ6 quality), so it should be ok. Hope we don't get that gross mobile text though

FSLink

Banned
Hopefully these get localized so we can have DQ1-3 with an actual controller and an updated translation.

I checked out the mobile port of 3, looks just like the snes one (DQ6 quality), so it should be ok. Hope we don't get that gross mobile text though

DQ3's mobile port is missing the animated sprites from the SFC version so hopefully they add that back in.

Top Bottom