• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

Goli

I'm not opposed to SE or to the platform - I'm more concerned about the pricing model. If SE sticks to reasonable, fixed prices for the games (preferably less than $10 each), then bringing the games to mobile is fine. I'll buy a few - certainly VIII, but possibly IV and VII as well. The problem is if they decide to go the 'normal' mobile route and start reworking the games with a forced microtransaction mechanic -- adding 'stamina bars', purchasable consumables or other items that end up forcing you to continually pay to play the game. When I hear 'mobile game', it's almost always a game that's put microtransaction greed above gameplay, and SE is as guilty of this as any other developer.

SE has only done that so far with FF Agito, all the other games were either built with microtransactions from the get go or with none at all, but at a premium price (more than $10), which many people find outrageous.

I think that Nintendo making an Android handheld is a terrific idea.

Best of both worlds. It would push Nintendo into the Android market, without Nintendo having to sacrifice their quality products and services. While Android would benefit from having Nintendo support, and would certain help in going against iOS in the market.

I would say it needs to be a Nintendo handheld, before a Android device. And the version of Android ought to be highly customized to Nintendo's needs. So that the OS can stay functionally and aesthetically Nintendo oriented.

I honestly think something like the 2DS, but with a unified screen. Would make a great Android tablet for Nintendo. It has the buttons that a handheld gaming device need. But if you take the separation bar, the 2DS is basically a tablet. If Nintendo went further and turned their next device into a full, 2DS inspired tablet, but didn't have Android. It would be a pretty niche tablet with a pretty niche OS, far more niche than Kindle. But if it used Android in some form and functional fashion, then it could end up one of the most successful tablets on the entire market.
n4GHwpw.png

A very market attractive Android tablet, I would say.

I mean they could just as easily figure out ways to lock their content to their own tablets while bringing some much-needed order to the wild west of Android ecosystem with a great curated eShop+Miiverse combo

I think that Nintendo making an Android handheld is a terrific idea.

Best of both worlds. It would push Nintendo into the Android market, without Nintendo having to sacrifice their quality products and services. While Android would benefit from having Nintendo support, and would certain help in going against iOS in the market.

I would say it needs to be a Nintendo handheld, before a Android device. And the version of Android ought to be highly customized to Nintendo's needs. So that the OS can stay functionally and aesthetically Nintendo oriented.

I honestly think something like the 2DS, but with a unified screen. Would make a great Android tablet for Nintendo. It has the buttons that a handheld gaming device need. But if you take the separation bar, the 2DS is basically a tablet. If Nintendo went further and turned their next device into a full, 2DS inspired tablet, but didn't have Android. It would be a pretty niche tablet with a pretty niche OS, far more niche than Kindle. But if it used Android in some form and functional fashion, then it could end up one of the most successful tablets on the entire market.
n4GHwpw.png

A very market attractive Android tablet, I would say.

Add an account system and I really think this could gain some ground. 4:3 content could work out great on a system like that.

clem84

Gold Member
I still dream about DQ8 HD on my PS3 or Vita.
I mean, look at this PS2 emulation screen * sigh *

182509624398469365161af2b6b53fe33d93f01e.jpg

Instead of this, we'll get smartphone junk...

SKn76Z3.jpg

:'( oh god enough of this. SE just bring the games over already. Anything. Ports, remakes, new games... Just take my money god dammit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Geez, I'm the only one on Youtube who's liking these :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah that needs some more dev time.

The idea seems fine, but that's like 5 fps.

It wont be out till the next-generation of smartphones/tablets are released so they`ll be fine either way. They are starting this december right ? If they release a DQ main game every month it`ll be at least another 6 months or more till we get to 8.

Playing 8 on a Smartphone is a no go for me - on a Tablet in HD though.

RPGCrazied

Can you imagine playing an 100 hour rpg with just 1 finger? No, thanks. :( It doesn't even look that good, I'd rather play it on the PS2 than a phone.

It wont be out till the next-generation of smartphones/tablets are released so they`ll be fine either way. They are starting this december right ? If they release a DQ main game every month it`ll be at least another 6 months or more till we get to 8.

Playing 8 on a Smartphone is a no go for me - on a Tablet in HD though.

I was gonna say that, they can make this more graphic intensive games to require the newest HW/OS. This will be on iphone 6/ipad 2014 and android 5.0, so it should be fine. Hopefully by then we'll have other classics like GTASA released on iOS/android as well in time for the 10 year anniversary.

oh god it was meant for 3ds :'(

I actually hope DQIX remake comes to android/iOS. By this time next year, Android/iOS will have all main DQ games on them except IX...

LOL @ the amount of Dislikes. The graphics are actually pretty good. Hopefully they're able to improve the framerate and load times before the release date.

I will dislike and stray away from the games if they don't offer gamepad support. I do agree that the graphics are pretty nice and I'm sure they'll improve the framerate and loadtime before it releases.

RedSwirl

I haven't seen the videos and I've only played DQ9 but honestly, I'm down for this... IF they keep the original visual style (I know the games have gone through remakes and such). I just hope they don't treat the older games like they treated the mobile version of FFV.

As far as I understand, the DQ games have all turn-based combat anyway, and the only real-time thing you have to do is movement about the world, so I don't think I'd mind playing that kind of game on my phone or iPad. I'm actually interested in how DQ8 looks -- it looks like you can actually play the whole game with one hand free which means I could potentially take it out anywhere. It would definitely have to have a suspend mode that automatically kicks in whenever I boot to the home screen though.

There's also the option of supporting Apple's new official controller API. So, with an add-on, you could potentially play the games with the same controls as before.

RedSwirl

You know what Square needs to do? They need to take one of these games (probably an old one with low development costs), and simultaneously release it on iOS, Android, 3DS eShop, and PSN (for Vita) and see which one is the most successful. That should settle once and for all where the actual market for these games lies.

You know what Square needs to do? They need to take one of these games (probably an old one with low development costs), and simultaneously release it on iOS, Android, 3DS eShop, and PSN (for Vita) and see which one is the most successful. That should settle once and for all where the actual market for these games lies.

iOS + Android.

Traditional MH wouldn't work with touch controls like a turn based RPG like DQ.

Not saying it's gonna happen, but iOS7 AND Android support gamepad now. MH could come to both, strongly recommend using gamepad, and offer cross play functionality where iOS and android users could play together. That is something they could never offer 3DS/VIta owners.

RedSwirl

iOS + Android.

But have they even tried putting these remakes on other digital services? Do we really know that, for instance, the mobile version of Final Fantasy Tactics outsold the PSP version? Or that the mobile version of FFIV outsold the DS version?

But have they even tried putting these remakes on other digital services? Do we really know that, for instance, the mobile version of Final Fantasy Tactics outsold the PSP version? Or that the mobile version of FFIV outsold the DS version?

FFVII has sold a million on PSN at $10. That's all pure profit, so I don't see how that goes against the case of releasing DQ7 and DQ8 through Sony's game archive service. But what do I know, clearly SE are the geniuses.

Goli

We don't know whether they have outsold the other versions, but if they haven´t now, they probably will at some point.

Also, I wonder if DQVIII is really badly optimized or if it has such a rough frame rate because it´s still in development... I also wonder what the device it was running on's specs are.

Rpgmonkey

so, they are going android.

what will happen when pirates pirate the shit out of this?

will they go "omg mobile piracy, no more draque wah wah wah!"?

RedSwirl

First videos on Android, thanks to RyougaSaotome

DQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg5bsgEmLb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7kERx3Ngcg

Framerate is poop but game looks decent graphically

Seeing as that's the Android version, it could be running on any number of Android devices.

I'll judge it when I see the iOS version running on a 5C or something.

Also, is DQ8 the first one coming out? Or are all the others coming out first? When they do the other ones I really hope they don't try to re-do the visual style or anything.

With IV, V, VI, and VII I guess the visual style of the DS and 3DS remakes is fine. I'm not familiar with all the different versions of the first three though. When they re-released those games on Wii in Japan, didn't they enhance the graphics again, but keep them 8-bit or something? Edit: Oh, I'm thinking about the Super NES remakes of the first three games. Presumably they'd just use those versions right?

so, they are going android.

what will happen when pirates pirate the shit out of this?

will they go "omg mobile piracy, no more draque wah wah wah!"?

I have a feeling that the "android = piracy"saying is overstated. I'm not sure if google has put some security features in place over the last couple of years, but if piracy was such a huge issue and so rampant on android, I'm sure SE would go iOS only, but it's not like iOS is pirate proof either.

rpmurphy

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.
The game being menu-driven, controls are typically tuned to make the input process as quick and easy-to-understand as possible -- the ordering of the menu selections, selection memory, response time for inputs, etc.

From looking at the video, to me it seems like there's too much of a need to tap different and small parts of the screen just to complete one battle turn. The guy has trouble entering an input sometimes and have to tap a second time. They have these menu transition animations that are just pointless but adds lag to the game.

Rarity

The game being menu-driven, controls are typically tuned to make the input process as quick and easy-to-understand as possible -- the ordering of the menu selections, selection memory, response time for inputs, etc.

From looking at the video, to me it seems like there's too much of a need to tap different and small parts of the screen just to complete one battle turn. The guy has trouble entering an input sometimes and have to tap a second time. They have these menu transition animations that are just pointless but adds lag to the game.

Pretty sure I'll give it a shot either way, but yeah, it looks like it takes way too long for my tastes.

don't be so sure, it makes perfect sense - the NES was a master stroke because it tapped into a development community that felt very comfortable using machine language - and they introduced curation and licensing policies for their device along with their first-party hits

the killer nintendo hardware would be an android device, with an awesome version of eshop, mii-verse, streetpass, and lock-out chip that restricts their games to their hardware - it would be the modern version of the NES - they could introduce a bigger version with more power that streams to the television

they are already in the ebooks business, they are in the games business, and now they are in the video content business (pikmin episodes) - clearly they are gearing up content for a killer multimedia device, i'm not sure why people don't see this

It won't happen for the same reason they'll never do anything 3rd party. They won't get any profit out of supporting another platform, and in fact, it means that they'll lose out on versions of 3rd party games for their own platform, because hey, why bother when one already exists for the platform it runs?

clubstoic

Banned
Looks pretty dreadful. The reason being smartphones are awful to play games on because they run out of batteries quickly and have no buttons. Ever try playing some poor console port on a smartphone where the phone gets all hot and you feel like a loser? Its no wonder Square-Enix is having a hard time. I'm absolutely happy they are struggling. Dragon Quest was hardly relevant in the United States, but now it is dead. Its kind of funny actually. R.I.P. DQ. Love ya miss ya.

I really hope they make the games controller compatible. I'm currently pushing through DQ5 on DS, and plan to follow up with DQ6, but I'd love to play a modern implementation of DQ1-3, then 7-8. I just don't like touch screen controls, and unfortunately, I'm stuck with them for the Final Fantasy games on Android. Or at least Final Fantasy 1.

Top Bottom