Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

May 10, 2012
What is SE going to do when they run out of franchises to run into the ground?

I honestly don't care. I've basically given up on them ever doing anything worthwhile again.

DQXI on phones confirmed.

Jul 10, 2006
Yeah, they do kind of need to support horizontal too at least.

And I don't think DQ1&2 are new to smartphones, but they'd probably port those to every console if they thought they could sell it.
They are. They had been released on feature phones before but not on smartphones yet.

Jan 10, 2010
I'm a DQ fan and I don't mind so much. Turn based JRPG's seem like they'd be a good fit on smartdevices with touch screens. The real question is how much of an effort will be put forth.

Mar 12, 2009
Ugly portrat mode aside, this is a pretty good idea- the games have no "twitch" elements to them, meaning that touchscreen controls should work just fine.

And if this means the next mainline entry is on smartphones, just pray they charge the Square Enix Tax price instead of making it Freemium

Sep 24, 2013
Nerdville, Oregon
Ugh...they need to bring the 3DS version of Dragon Quest VII over to America. Seriously. I've played Dragon Quests IV, V, VI and IX, and I really want to play VII without having to track down the PS-X version.

Dec 30, 2011
Orlando FL
Ugly portrat mode aside, this is a pretty good idea- the games have no "twitch" elements to them, meaning that touchscreen controls should work just fine.

And if this means the next mainline entry is on smartphones, just pray they charge the Square Enix Tax price instead of making it Freemium
It'll still be pay to win, you'll just have to pay $15 to even try to play

Apr 5, 2012
Arizona
Guess what's next that's right you guessed it Dragon Quest 11

Enjoy an epic tale! 11 amazing chapters! Each chapter only costs $6!!

Unlock amazing spells and weapons by paying $3! Buying a pack for $12 gets you 2 spells and 2 actions RANDOMLY CHOSEN!!!

Refill your Action Gauge for only $4! OR you can choose to wait 2 hours for your Action Gauge to refill!

Dragon Quest 11 only available on Smartphones!

Into

Aug 20, 2012
If these do well (and they will, its DQ on smartphones) just wait for FF7 "remake" on smartphones

Basically the PC re release slapped together. You wanted the remake!? Here ya go, no give me moneh'

Nov 9, 2007
I'm always curious how this news is received by japanese gamer, most of us here in neogaf basically don't like the big shift to smartphone games, but does these smartphone games really sell a lot for squenix?

I mean, is the focus on smartphone actually justified and smart decision, or just misguided and they'll crash and burn sooner or later.

Mar 31, 2012
I'm no developer, so I have no clue on this, but would it me more challenging to port DQ 1-8 to PC/Xbox 360/PS3/Wii-U versus porting those games to mobile devices? Surely all the Dragon Quests before DQ8 would be incredibly easy to port to any platform right?

It feels like Square Enix management doesn't know they have a large and diverse audience.

Aug 24, 2009
I'm always curious how this news is received by japanese gamer, most of us here in neogaf basically don't like the big shift to smartphone games, but does these smartphone games really sell a lot for squenix?

I mean, is the focus on smartphone actually justified and smart decision, or just misguided and they'll crash and burn sooner or later.
It's smart, but, in this case, it's a desperation move to get some quick cash. Otherwise, there will be nothing from their Japanese studios that produces a lot of revenue for at least another two years or so (aside from FFX).