• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Abylim

They're making two different games based on the same story, with the same core staff, similar to Ni no Kuni.

The PS4 version is developed with the assistance of Orca and will run on Unreal Engine 4.

The 3DS version is developed with the assistance of Toy Logic.

Awesome news.

Cant wait for this!!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet :)
IX was the last DQ I played and that was awesome. Sounds like a good approach.

They're making two different games based on the same story, with the same core staff, similar to Ni no Kuni.

The PS4 version is developed with the assistance of Orca and will run on Unreal Engine 4.

The 3DS version is developed with the assistance of Toy Logic.

Okay now it makes sense

Not really, because Sony wants more PS4s to sell and having a big name like this could move units.

Sony would ideally want this on Vita as well to help move units in Japan (see the just-announced Tri-Ace game).

Nintendo would ideally not want to compete with the PS4 version in the west.

All in all, SE is the big winner.

raven777

CK_Wzo4UYAAbsK7.jpg:orig

CK_W5dgVAAAqxi-.jpg:orig

CK_W7njUAAAftxD.jpg:orig

This doesn't seem like particularly good footage to show off. I know it's early, but having the player character not have action specific animations for walking along ledges or tight ropes makes it look really dated. I really hope they add those little details to make the world feel more alive and animated.

Rootbeer

Banned
wtf... PS4/3DS is funny because not a lot of games have gone dual platform in that exact manner before. I love it though because those are the platforms I'd prefer, unless they'd also put it on Vita.

KZObsessed

Awesome, that keeps everyone happy. Treating it similar to ni no kuni means PS4 version won't be held back as well.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this sensible decision. Everyone buy it now please. :p

le.phat

Cave/outdoor section looks awesome :0

Can't believe the JRPG love that's coming to PS4. We are slowly creeping into PS2 JRPG territory here!

Wonder if the 3ds ver comes out in the west.

Still waiting of DQ7 :/
Ni no Kuni and Dragon Quest Heroes worry me with regards to this.

Maybe not Ni no Kuni as the DS version underperformed in Japan plus the book would add considerably to costs.

Then again there is no idea when this game will come out in Japan let alone the west. Will the 3DS even be a viable western market in say 2017? Presumably NX would have backward compatibility making it potentially similar to Pokemon Black/White release

Usobuko

Banned
I think for the future we should get used to bigger japanese games hitting the NIntendo handheld(NX) and the Sony home console (PS4).

Great.

It can only be good and healthy for sales of jpn games if they aren't restricted to be exclusive when its viable to go multiplats.

Gambit

3DS version is possibly the most genius use of the dual screen ever (at least in an RPG).

I love it, love it, love it!

rockx4

PS4 or 3DS, prior to the 3DS footage I said PS4 for sure. But now I'm leading towards the 3DS. It looks amazing, the dual screen usage is genius.

silva1991

The PS4 version looks even better than KH3 or at least as good!!

the 3ds version still doesn't even come close to how good VIII looked.

wrowa

Are those going to be two different games? Or will both games still be structurally the same, despite the differences?

If it's the latter, I'll be at a loss as to which version I want to play. The PS4 version looks spectacular, but that 3DS gimmick is so incredibly cool.

Top Bottom