• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

This is the combination I hoped for really, since it worked out nicely for how NNK turned out in terms of visuals, etc.

So far from what we've seen:

- The PS4 version is a full open-ish world 3D game with jumping, platforming, exploration, and is fully proportional in scale like DQVIII. They didn't show any battles, but enemies are visible on the field, and it seems really early.

- The 3DS version has 3D graphics on the top screen and 2D graphics on the bottom screen. Looks to be reusing a lot of existing assets, but looks great regardless. There's two versions of everything for 3D/2D - towns, fields, battles, event scenes, etc. If the player uses the analog slidepad, 3D battles will initiate and the battles on the field will be symbol encounters (you see the enemies and can avoid them), if you use the d-pad, battles will be in 2D and they will be random encounters.

- Currently the 3DS version looks way more complete than the PS4 one. But both are slated to be released within the Anniversary next year in 2016.

This is great, exactly what I wanted from the game. DQVIII is the only game in the series I have been able to play, but very much enjoyed it.

Kaisos

I need that 3DS version right now.

If the player uses the analog slidepad, 3D battles will initiate and the battles on the field will be symbol encounters (you see the enemies and can avoid them), if you use the d-pad, battles will be in 2D and they will be random encounters..

Holy crap, that's insane!

Since they are making all the 16 bit-esque 2D assets anyway I wonder if they will ever just package and release that as a stand alone, like for mobile or something? SE is basically creating 3 generations worth of remakes all in one shot in a way lol.

I want both so badly.

I'm going to be absolutely gutted if SE doesn't localize both versions, alongside the remakes for 3DS. You've slept on DQ long enough in the west. Time to start trying again.

watershed

Banned
Cheesemiester says on twitter that on 3ds you can pick with style of graphics will show on the top screen and the bottom is for menus. Great if true.

CHC

The PS4 version is a full open-ish world 3D game with jumping, platforming, exploration, and is fully proportional in scale like DQVIII.

I can't believe they're actually delivering what people want. Sounds amazing!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Damn, how many JRPGs are SE bringing next year to PS4?

Rad-

- The PS4 version is a full open-ish world 3D game with jumping, platforming, exploration, and is fully proportional in scale like DQVIII. They didn't show any battles, but enemies are visible on the field, and it seems really early.

- The 3DS version has 3D graphics on the top screen and 2D graphics on the bottom screen. Looks to be reusing a lot of existing assets, but looks great regardless. There's two versions of everything for 3D/2D - towns, fields, battles, event scenes, etc. If the player uses the analog slidepad, 3D battles will initiate and the battles on the field will be symbol encounters (you see the enemies and can avoid them), if you use the d-pad, battles will be in 2D and they will be random encounters.

- Currently the 3DS version looks way more complete than the PS4 one. But both are slated to be released within the Anniversary next year in 2016.

Damn...

JordanN

Banned
PS4 version reminds me of the Kite demo. Makes sense since both are running on the same engine.

yMEYGFb.jpg

Oregano

The 3DS version is probably further along simply because it takes less time to make 3DS assets and they're already reusing a load.

Slightly disappointed in the PS4 version. They should've shown how combat encounters work. First person perspective classic mode would be great as an option.

Some Nobody

I thought we were done with that by DQVIII? At least that and IX looked pretty nice for the respective hardware they were running on.

DQVIII looked good, but IX needed that little qualifier you had. DQXI just looks good, full stop. Not just "for the hardware its running on".

And man, I'm glad the 3DS folks got their version, I really am. But I gotta say it looks really dull to me. Like, it looks exactly like the type of game I would've blown off.

Also, I find it hard to believe the PS4 version is coming out in time for 2016. I'm betting this is going to be a Smash-type deal where it hits near the end of the year, so unless its a simultaneous release (ha. haha. hahahahahahaha), I've a feeling we won't see it until 2017. It looked super early--they didn't even bother to show battle for it, which you'd think would be basic. I've no doubt they can finish it in time (this year's got another five months alone) but eesh.

Also: This isn't Level-5's game? Should we be hyped for that still?

Rad-

Slightly disappointed in the PS4 version. They should've shown how combat encounters work. First person perspective classic mode would be great as an option.

They likely didn't show it because I'm guessing the combat part is still mostly undone.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Man..the scale of this game says it all. They aren't holding one platform back in the least, even though the PS4 version looks incomplete(cause it is obviously). They have months and months though so i'm not worried

Top Bottom