• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

Aeana

EsYgq5d.png

u1lFcOT.png

Dragon Quest 11 is an RPG that offers an unprecedented level of choice for its audience. Not only can it be played on both PS4 and 3DS, the 3DS version itself also offers two different play styles: 2D and 3D.

Are you looking for a successor to Dragon Quest 8, with high fidelity graphics and a grand sense of scale? The PS4 version is for you.
Do you want to play the game on the go, but still retain some of the modern conveniences from games like Dragon Quest 9? The 3D 3DS version is for you.
Have you been away from the series for a while, but are nostalgic for the 2D era of RPGs? Then go with the 2D 3DS version.
Are you an insane person who likes all of the above things? Then buy the double pack!

No matter when you joined the series, be it with Dragon Quest 8, Dragon Quest 9, Dragon Quest 1, or anywhere in between, you should be able to find a version that suits your needs.

gS619gO.png

zGIUM9P.jpg
9AcmpZm.jpg
l9GoW8A.jpg

le7IY07.jpg
xqGG9u9.jpg
8tHHsYV.jpg

PS4 trailer
3DS trailer

Q5tCVIu.png

Does this really not have voice acting? In 201---
Yes, it really does not have voice acting. You might still have to actually read words and use your imagination, even in 2017.

Are both versions of the game the same?
All of the versions of the game have the same story and characters, as well as the same locations. Each one does have some exclusive bonus content, however, such as the StreetPass feature with the 'retro dungeons' on 3DS.

Can I transfer my progress between versions?
Yes! Even though you cannot transfer your save directly, the game features a "spell of rebirth" system (hearkening back to the password save systems from DQ1 and 2) which allows you to generate a password for your general spot in the story and transfer over to another version. Note that this is not a 1:1 transfer, and some things may be lost or gained.

Really? Passwords? In 2017?
Yes, in 2017. Without this feature, there would be no way at all to transfer period.

Why does the music sound so bad?
Because the composer, Koichi Sugiyama, is a bad person who cares more about selling tickets to live concerts than allowing people to enjoy his music in-game.

Does this one have actual characters with personalities instead of the create-a-character from DQ9?
Yes, this features a full cast of characters with stories and personalities.

sfhwDwX.png

As mentioned above, this game features a special password system that lets you transfer your progress between versions. It also allows you to get some bonuses in the game. Word is that some DQ1 and DQ2 passwords will work with this game. As time goes on, I'll fill this section in with additional spells of restoration as they're discovered.

http://dq11.org/dq11_hukkatunojumon2.html - This page has a generator for a password that will start you at level 10. Fill in your hero's name and your favorite number.

Famous DQ2 password. Start at level 18 with main character name もょもと

Code:
ゆうて いみや おうきむ
こうほ りいゆ うじとり
やまあ きらぺ ぺぺぺぺ
ぺぺぺ ぺぺぺ ぺぺぺぺ
ぺぺぺ ぺぺぺ ぺぺぺぺ ぺぺ

Aeana

Preloading is available on PSN for preorders if you want to get started now. It's about 40GB, I believe. The 3DS version is about 3GB.

Tohsaka

I caved and pre-ordered the other day, probably won't have my copy until Tuesday though. Looking forward to it.

Fou-Lu

I really really badly want to be playing this, but my Japanese is in no way good enough for me to get maximum enjoyment out of it. On the other hand I could just play it again when it releases in NA...

Aeana

Just verified that the 3DS download version is 20494 blocks. Preloading that one now. Preloaded it on PS4 yesterday.

Itsuki

I'm getting the 3DS version and PS4 version later. I haven't preordered the game yet so I'll see if I can preorder it in Yodobashi Camera or in a game store near.

Lynx_7

In for the impressions. This is it fam, DQ's grand breakthrough in the west, get that word of mouth going.
lol I wish

Skulldead

My biggest fear that the game became pretty casual in term of difficulty since the DS remake, i'm really looking foward to have a somewhat classic DQ difficulty. Do they have talk about that during creation process ? Info would be helpfull !

The game look amazing on ps4 !

I will be finishing up work tomorrow roughly when it drops.

I know exactly what I'm doing once I'm back home then :p

I will be playing the 3DS version in 2D.
Once the game hits the West, I think this will be my reason to pick up the PS4 version.

3ds version coming tomorrow morning. 2d all the way for me. I dont get to play many games anymore, so hopefully this will last me a few months

I did not know about that save transfer/password system. That's pretty damn cool. Is it a transfer or more of a password system?

My Japanese is awful so I'm just gonna read the impressions in this thread. I'm sure this will be a timely localisation.

Camjo-Z

Damn, game comes out this week and there's still no official word of a localization. Being an English-speaking Dragon Quest fan is so depressing.

13ruce

Banned
Need to wait for western release unfortunately my Japanese is very bad lol. Atleast i do wish the people who do get the game now a lot of fun!

jiggle

Really looking forward to hear more about the gear customizations
It didn't sound like every armor change will be displayed

And hopefully they don't go all persona5 on Sylvia

HERE WE GO YAAAAAH PARTAY TIIIIIIIIIIME

Rolling 3DS first, will probably be suckered into picking up the PS4 version at some point depending on how much friends shove it into my face.

Haha, great title.
I've solved the conundrum and I'm importing the 3DS version. I'll save the PS4 version for the eventual localization, as I'm not the only one at home interested in playing this, and my wife will want to play it in English.

Aeana

I still haven't decided which to play first.

At this point, I'm leaning toward playing all 3 simultaneously.
What is wrong with me

sungahymn

Neo Member
Why does the music sound so bad?
Because the composer, Koichi Sugiyama, is a bad person who cares more about selling tickets to live concerts than allowing people to enjoy his music in-game.

Lol. Sarcasm or not, this is gold.

TreIII

Subbed.

Haven't bought any version yet, but I'm eager for impressions. And if nothing else, my JP 3DS may deserve one last hurrah.

Kanann

I still haven't decided which to play first.

At this point, I'm leaning toward playing all 3 simultaneously.
What is wrong with me

Madness

I will marathon PS4 first and 3DS later, because my hidden inner soul is a graphic fanatic.

Linkura

Amazon.co.jp has an estimated delivery date of 8/1-8/2 for our PS4 version. Not sure if this means JPN time or US time.

GunBR

My knowledge of japanese is 0, so I will have to wait for the english version in 2018 (I hope so), but I'm really excited to see the reactions here when the game release

MoonFrog

Hope it's good! Looking forward to carefully perusing impressions while I jealousy wait!

Thanks for doing this thread.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's because of games like this one that I need to learn Japanese... I still have DQ V through VIII to catch up on, so I guess I can wait for the Western release ;)

Shin

Banned
Oh damn it's releasing tomorrow (2AM for me ATM), I'll get it once the white PS4 Pro is out.

alf717

Love to join in but I know zero Japanese. =D Looking forward to first impression of the game and maybe a US release in the future.

Nice OT.

What are the chances of us getting better quality music in the western version ala DQVIII? That's the only thing preventing me from importing.

Thanks for the OT!

My JP (PS4) version and the V-Jumps guide book (tome is more like it-- those things are huge!) coming via Play Asia, so not till late next week at the earliest.

Really can't wait to finally dig into a new DQ!

Linkura

Love to join in but I know zero Japanese. =D Looking forward to first impression of the game and maybe a US release in the future.

Heh, I imported Japanese JRPGs a lot as a teenager despite knowing even less Japanese than I know now (which is very, very little). It was probably a huge waste of money tbh as I pretty much never finished them (though got pretty close on some of them). :(

Raw64life

I've been learning Japanese on and off for about a year now (mostly off, I'm lazy) but I hope I'll be able to understand at least the most basic stuff.

This is the first game I've imported in about a decade. I waited until today to pre-order off of Amazon.jp due to holding out hope for at least an announcement about a western version, but it's obviously not coming any time soon, if ever.

My plan is to play the 3DS version in 3D, then when the western versions (hopefully) come out, I'll play the 3DS one in 2D and finally the PS4 version. I don't think I've ever triple dipped on a game before. But it's my all time favorite franchise.

ranmafan

Can't wait for my double pack to arrive tomorrow morning. Been waiting for this a long time. It's nice to have another Dragon Quest for the summer again!

Rpgmonkey

Tempted to buy this digitally because I won't have this over the weekend otherwise, but getting it physically is so much cheaper. Guess it depends which I value more out of getting it earlier or saving ~$50. :/

Gonna try and play through both versions at once. 2D on the 3DS and the PS4 version as my 3D experience. Hopefully the Switch version is localized as I'll probably end up buying that too and I'd prefer to also try the game in English that way.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Will be grabbing the physical PS4 version tomorrow morning (the store opens at 7am, while it's normal opening hour is 10).

I'm extremely excited - never though I'd make it in time, but I was able to finish all mainline games and most of DQX before XI and loved most of them.

alf717

Heh, I imported Japanese JRPGs a lot as a teenager despite knowing even less Japanese than I know now (which is very, very little). It was probably a huge waste of money tbh as I pretty much never finished them (though got pretty close on some of them). :(

I got a lot of imports myself back in the day but I played it safe and went with games I knew I could get through. An RPG was never on the cards for me unless a fan translation was available.

Biske

I guess I'll see you all in like 3 to 5 years when we can play this in english...

Looks awesome as hell. Tempted to go the John Ricciardi route and learn japanese with a game like this lol.

Top Bottom