• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

Maniel

Banned
Just dropping by to celebrate another game in one of my favorite franchises coming out. I'll be waiting for English versions, but have fun everyone who is getting this game on Saturday

Trago

My coworker keeps taunting me about getting the import and playing the game before me. Wish I knew Japanese.....

Waiting for the localization will be all the more painful.

Heh, I imported Japanese JRPGs a lot as a teenager despite knowing even less Japanese than I know now (which is very, very little). It was probably a huge waste of money tbh as I pretty much never finished them (though got pretty close on some of them). :(

I mean, if you're learning Japanese and willing to play with a dictionary at your side you can easily get by since all of the kanji has furigana above it.

rucury

Banned
I am pretty hyped for this. 3DS version for me. PS4 for the localized version (3DS has furigana so its easier to read)

Jencks

Banned
Wish my Japanese was up to a level where I could actually enjoy this now. Will wait for the NA release, which will hopefully be sooner than later.

Linkura

I mean, if you're learning Japanese and willing to play with a dictionary at your side you can easily get by since all of the kanji has furigana above it.

When I imported those games, I wasn't learning. I just learned what the basic battle commands were and went from there.

Again, huge fucking waste of money as I only vaguely knew what was going on in most of the games. Though, funnily enough, my impressions of the Japanese vs. the English versions were still pretty much the same once I did end up playing the English version.

My husband is going to be playing this while I watch, because he is fluent in Japanese.

Do we know yet, which version of the game the Switch port will be based on? I can't decide if I want to buy this on 3DS or PS4 and this will help influence my decision. I'm leaning towards the 3DS version as I have most of the series across the DS and 3DS, but the PS4 version looks so beautiful.

Tohsaka

Nice OT.

What are the chances of us getting better quality music in the western version ala DQVIII? That's the only thing preventing me from importing.

I doubt it, since the western versions of the 3DS games had downgraded music compared to Japan.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know yet, which version of the game the Switch port will be based on? I can't decide if I want to buy this on 3DS or PS4 and this will help influence my decision. I'm leaning towards the 3DS version as I have most of the series across the DS and 3DS, but the PS4 version looks so beautiful.

Wait, a port of DQ is coming to Switch?

I'm confused about the 3DS version. Are 2D and 3D on the same cart? If so is it something you can swap between or do you pick from the outset and that's the mode you play through?

Aeana

I'm confused about the 3DS version. Are 2D and 3D on the same cart? If so is it something you can swap between or do you pick from the outset and that's the mode you play through?

They're on the same cart. During the prologue, you play both simultaneously -- 3D on top screen, 2D on bottom. After that, you have to make a choice, but you can swap at will at any church.

They're on the same cart. During the prologue, you play both simultaneously -- 3D on top screen, 2D on bottom. After that, you have to make a choice, but you can swap at will at any church.

Ah, cool, sounds like a good way to do it. This is the first I've heard about this feature, but I haven't really been on top of DQ11 news

I'm so happy and jealus of you guys

giphy.webp

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I thought this was coming out next year in Japan! I hope it's great (and has voice acting in the West).

KtSlime

My card was just charged by Amazon for the New 2DS Metal Slime bundle!!

Knowing Amazon it will come late Saturday, so I will line up at Geo around 6AM tomorrow to pick it up.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nope, literally comes out in a couple of hours.
It won't come out in the west in the first place:p
Yeah, it definitely won't come out on 3DS in the West, on that we agree :p

We'll see otherwise. In the meantime hopefully it's to this console generation what DQVIII was before

Going 3DS to start because my kanji is Weak and that furigana's gonna save me (plus portability means I won't be hogging the TV for a thousand hours as I slowly read each line), but I'll probably break down and get the PS4 version at some point too. looks so good

Yeah, it definitely won't come out on 3DS in the West, on that we agree :p

We'll see otherwise. In the meantime hopefully it's to this console generation what DQVIII was before

I think I'll go with the 3DS version then. I was going to import a physical copy but given it'll be available so soon, I'm just going to download it on the Eshop.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well this kind of crept up to release. Last I recall was the reveal trailer and a non-committal date attached. Looking forward to impressions.

Pepboy

Thank you for posting! Hopefully helps build awareness for demand in the West.

I thought it might also be worth mentioning the (optional) restriction play system? I thought that was pretty cool how rpgs are starting to incorporate nuzlocke type stuff into the actual game.

Well, you can't be in the U.S. and Canada at the same time.
canada_woqovx.png

I know, I know, but this is what the 3D vs. 2D reminds me of. I'm totally going to refer to them as "America mode" and "Canada mode". . . good thing our version's gonna be PS4

Kouriozan

Really interested about that 3DS version, and then "upgrade" to the PS4 one when it'll be localized since I doubt Square will bother with the 3DS one.
Hope I'm wrong and we'll get both, in the meantime I'll import it, but not for now since I'm kinda busy.
Thanks for the OT and I'll be sure to check back when I get my copy.

antun

Just got an email that mine is being shipped today.

This is going to be so much fun!

Definitely going with 2d.

ZeroD

Great OP! Got the double pack in bound and picking the metal slime 2ds up tomorrow morning from geo! Bit jealous of everyone who will be able to play from midnight but I can wait till the morning!

What's everyone starting with? I can't decide!

Note that only the 3DS 3D version has furigana.

Ahhh good catch. Thanks for pointing that out! That's disappointing then, for those whose kanji reading levels are less than stellar. I've always found DQ and Pokemon games to be very import friendly to those learning Japanese.

Top Bottom