• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

ZeroD

Yes I ordered that huge final fantasy ultimate special edition from them before last year. Their email came a little later than some stores, I think I got it like at 10pm, but it was delivered on release day the next day around 9am. So yeah they are good, fast, and very reliable. Although I wish they were like Falcom's store, which delivers their games the day before release date. Main reason why I always order from falcons store for their games.

But yeah me too, got the double pack coming from them, it's going to be awesome.

Cool that's great to hear I'm hitting Tokyo tomorrow so I need to leave asap after it arrives. I'll remember that about the Falcom store for next time.

Prophane33

I believe my 3DS copy should arrive on Monday-ish. I also have the two guides pre-ordered (day one, and the one that comes out a month from now), so should be able to offer some help/translations for skills, spells, items etc as I did when DQVIII came out (and IX to an extent) for anyone that needs it.

Yeah it's one of the better games to try out while studying Japanese. And I'd even say those worried about the kanji and all shouldn't too much as this is a good game to help you brush up on your kanji.

But yeah I can't wait to play in the morning. Part of me wishes I had gotten the digital versions so I can play at midnight tonight but I can wait a little longer. Japanese delivery companies are very good at delivering early in the morning games on release day so I should have not too long after those who buy it in stores in the morning. Plus I need to try and get through ffxii zodiac tonight so I guess I can wait a little. I just hope I get that shipping email soon. Square Enix's Japanese store emails usually come late though.

Use a handwriting dictionary, force yourself to learn the kanji. I'm a crazy enough of person to have learned at least half of the kanji I know this way.

I'm going to have to set ffxii aside for a while. : (

ranmafan

Use a handwriting dictionary, force yourself to learn the kanji. I'm a crazy enough of person to have learned at least half of the kanji I know this way.

I'm going to have to set ffxii aside for a while. : (

Well for me I learned kanji through years Japanese classes in college, and living in Japan now for over a decade. But yeah a handwriting dictionary is good. I would recommend also people try the app KanjiBox. Amazing app for studying Japanese words and kanji. Great for studying for the jlpt too.

The Hermit

Well, you can't be in the U.S. and Canada at the same time.
canada_woqovx.png

I know, I know, but this is what the 3D vs. 2D reminds me of. I'm totally going to refer to them as "America mode" and "Canada mode". . . good thing our version's gonna be PS4

Damn, totally forgot that part in South Park game. Well played.

OmegaDL50

Monster hunter?

The sales pinnacle for Monster Hunter in Japan was Monster Hunter Portable 3rd which was 4 Million copies sold.

There are several DQ games that exceeded that number. DQ 7 through 9 for instance all sold more than 4 million copies each.

The only exception to the norm is the MMO DQX, but for a mainline single player installment, DQXI has chances to do very well as per series tradition.

This would also be the first time a mainline DQ game is releasing on two different platforms rather than a single installment with a re-release on a different platform later on.

I really really badly want to be playing this, but my Japanese is in no way good enough for me to get maximum enjoyment out of it. On the other hand I could just play it again when it releases in NA...

The eternal dilemma. It's getting localized so I can just play it in English with no problems... but if I do that I don't get language practice and will still struggle with the next game.

The furigana thing is good to know, though, I think I will import it.

The sales pinnacle for Monster Hunter in Japan was Monster Hunter Portable 3rd which was 4 Million copies sold.

4.8 million copies to be exact. It actually surpassed DQ9.

Though I have a feeling Monster Hunter has probably lost more of its step since then than Dragon Quest has. DQ11 being split between 2 console releases could make the comparison between the two interesting though.

Netto-kun

I have the double pack pre-ordered from HMV Japan (they still do oversea shipping if you are still on fence with buying the game(s)) but probably won't have the games till after the 6th since I need to have it shipped with some other stuffs I ordered. At least it gives me enough time to platinum FFXII:TZA.

...and I still need to finish DQVII and start up VIII on 3DS.

JimPanzer

I played all DQ games from 4 onward and love the series, but this game will be the first I play when it releases. Still not sure whether I should go with 3D or 2D mode on the 3DS. I would like to play without furigana, but also like the look of the 3D mode more, especially since enemies aren't animated in the 2D mode.

ranmafan

4.8 million copies to be exact. It actually surpassed DQ9.

Though I have a feeling Monster Hunter has probably lost more of its step since then than Dragon Quest has. DQ11 being split between 2 console releases could make the comparison between the two interesting though.

Yeah that's what's going to make this interesting. A console based monster hunter vs a new dragon quest that's being released on multiple systems finally. In the end I still think dragon quest will edge out because there are a ton of people that only play dragon quest that will be buying the game tomorrow and monster hunter has seen pretty much the vast majority of its success as a portable game. But yeah it will be a fun comparison to see once that game releases. And I think it may end up being quite close.

aravuus

Why does the music sound so bad?
Because the composer, Koichi Sugiyama, is a bad person who cares more about selling tickets to live concerts than allowing people to enjoy his music in-game.

I'm not 100% sure I understand what this means, but I already hate Sugiyama.

I'll be lurking the thread. Excited to hear some PS4 impressions.

Ōkami

I'll have 2 weeks to beat this game on a borrowed PS4.

And it'll take over 3 days to download.

No nonse, I'll have to be fast as hell to at least see the main story all the way through.

Is there a way to move save data from PS4 to PS4, I wouldn't like to start over again when I get my own in like 3 years.

Tohsaka

Ōkami;244721037 said:
I'll have 2 weeks to beat this game on a borrowed PS4.

And it'll take over 3 days to download.

No nonse, I'll have to be fast as hell to at least see the main story all the way through.

Is there a way to move save data from PS4 to PS4, I wouldn't like to start over again when I get my own in like 3 years.

Just copy the save file to a USB drive and keep it safe somewhere. Sign into the same PSN account and put it on your own PS4 when you buy one.

Gloam

9 or so hours to go on the ol' PS4 countdown. These are exciting times we live in. The work day will fly by for sure. Though I am nursing a chest infection at the moment so whether or not I'll be able to commit to the game fully is in question. These are very different circumstances to the release of DQ10, that's for certain. I'm glad people are excited for the game.

Will post impressions when I have 'em.

wtd2009

Someone on Twitch is playing both versions side by side.

https://www.twitch.tv/hamachin

Just came here to post this. It's good to be able to see some of the game play without giving any plot/dialogue away haha.

i'm sure much has already been said about the quality of the sound/music, but it does still sound a little out of place and off putting. or it at least makes me wish there was an HQ/symphony quality production.

The 2D version looks so great. I want it so badly but I'm worried they won't localize the 3DS game to North America. Just PS4 and Switch (which I suspect will be based on the PS4 version which would mean no 2D for me). I would still buy it of course

1upsuper

Got my order in for the 3DS version. Should be here within a week or so. I am so excited! It feels like it's been so long since the last main entry in the series.

aravuus

Someone on Twitch is playing both versions side by side.

https://www.twitch.tv/hamachin

I don't really like the menus in the PS4 version, but otherwise this looks like it's gonna be one fucking amazing, magical adventure! Absolutely no other game after DQ8 has managed to evoke the same feelings of adventure when exploring the world as it did, but it looks like DQ11 has a damn good chance of doing just that. Can't fucking wait.

Any word on party chat? It probably won't be as crazy as it was in the Zenithian trilogy, where your party members seemed to react to every NPC conversation and such?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
any photos of japanese people lining up to buy? those are always interesting :p
It's still early in the afternoon the previous day and I don't think any stores are officially doing midnight launches. I assume many are opening early tomorrow, but you'll have to wait for those pictures at least until the evening.

Catman

Banned
Finally decided to pull the trigger and ordered this off amazon.jp. I still have some time left on my prime subscription there, and it's a decent price. I am not doing great on learning my Japanese, but I figure maybe it'd be good to practice with and just enjoy the gameplay if not the story completely.

Bebpo

Banned
Nice OP, looking forward to the game.

Hadn't really been paying attention and didn't realize the 2d mode is 8-bit NES style and not 16-bit SNES style. Outside the retro nostalgia, not sure if I wanna play a full 60 hour+ rpg in 8-bit these days.

Do we have any reviews yet from Japan or did they get their review copies late?

Anyone picked up the slime controller?

Oh man, I didn't realize they were doing this again. I still have my PS2 slime controller. Looks like they haven't changed anything since then :p

Catman

Banned

I am sooooo tempted to get the slime controller. I got Slime plushies that I got in Japan all around my desk, but it's close to $100...so I dont think I can quite afford it right now >_<

Oh, is furigana only in the 3ds version? Well that makes it a little harder but going by the stream it doesn't seem like I'll be spending ten minutes on one text box.

Unfortunately not importing but still looking forward to impressions.

Love that feeling of a brand new DQ game just around the corner.

Bebpo

Banned
I am seriously considering it. I regret not getting the PS2 controller a decade ago.

I am sooooo tempted to get the slime controller. I got Slime plushies that I got in Japan all around my desk, but it's close to $100...so I dont think I can quite afford it right now >_<

For what it's worth, the PS2 controller was uncomfortable as hell. Fun for 5 mins and then more of something you keep on the shelf as a decoration. Zero reasons to use it over a standard more comfortable controller imo.

Catman

Banned
For what it's worth, the PS2 controller was uncomfortable as hell. Fun for 5 mins and then more of something you keep on the shelf as a decoration. Zero reasons to use it over a standard more comfortable controller imo.

But...but...it's so cute!! xD

artsi

Watched the stream for 5 minutes, already hating the music and sounds, ugh.

I might still import it because I love everything else.

FingerBang

The PS4 version looks really beautiful but I never played a Dragon Quest game and I don't really know if I want to play a long RPG right now.

In a few months there'll be a lot of used copies around and I'll get one

ranmafan

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it common for dragon quest reviews to not come out till after the games release date? I seem to remember that being the case for the magazines for past games and that holds true this week for sure.

The controller I was always tempted by but I passed on it. Too expensive and I hear most said the old ones were uncomfortable. Plus I already got a much larger slime toy (actually three, a blue one, orange one, and king slime) from UFO catchers that were much cheaper and better for me.

urfe

Only 7 more hours. I'm pretty excited. I haven't played a Dragon Quest at launch since PSX, and that was for the English version.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm jealous of folks grabbing it at midnight, but the digital version feels way to expensive compared to the physical one I can get a few hours later to jump in myself.

ZeroD

I'm surprised there seems to be no midnight release happening, I thought for sure dragon quest would get one

ranmafan

I'm surprised there seems to be no midnight release happening, I thought for sure dragon quest would get one

Such things don't really happen in Japan, although there have been some very rare exceptions lately. Whenever there is a lineup it it's usually been for the morning when stores open. Some will open early for big games like this one. Also lately with the increase in online buying and such, plus more stores where you can buy the game like convenience stores and such the need to line up isn't really necessary. Heck when dragon quest ix came out, I waited until lunch time since I was working that day. Ran to the local department store and got my copy easily as there were plenty.

But yeah we will probably see lines but not until the morning. And thankfully they won't be as crazy as the PlayStation VR and Switch lines as of late.

Top Bottom