• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

There is probably no better game for early Japanese learners than Dragon Quest.
This is really good to hear cause I've been learning Japanese for 9 months and thought this game would be nice to go through.

Going to add everything I don't know to my vocab deck.

This will be great.

This is really good to hear cause I've been learning Japanese for 9 months and thought this game would be nice to go through.

This will be great.

Yeah me too, i will take N4 in December so thought DQ will be a good choice to test my skills.
I will also keep a deck and take physical notes whenever necessary.
Just a few more hours!!

zeox

I'm trying to add my paypal account to my japanese psn account, but I'm getting an error saying it couldn't be added. are there any restrictions with paypal on japanese accounts?

john tv

0EHzY18.png

Looking forward to digging in tonight!

ranmafan

This will be great.

Yeah it's a real good game to play while learning Japanese. Even the kanji level is good for learners as well.

One thing slightly related, as I've been getting ready for the game I've been watching all the old commercials for the games on YouTube and one of my favorites (2nd behind dragon quest vii's hurry up and release the game commercial) was for last years heroes ii game. There's a scene where there's a business meeting and the main actor starts using dragon quest words in his speech instead of normal Japanese words, with extra subtitles explaining each word at the bottom. Its pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/DtgVSyb-FEM

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
5 hours and 30mins more to 3DS preload unlock
Most 3DS preloads unlock at 11PM JST iirc, so it might be just 4,5 hours.

How many people are planning to use the Spell of Rebirth from the OP?
Or will you just start from level 1?

urfe

Most 3DS preloads unlock at 11PM JST iirc, so it might be just 4,5 hours.

How many people are planning to use the Spell of Rebirth from the OP?
Or will you just start from level 1?

Level 1. I'm going into this super blind and want the natural Dragon Quest experience. Hope I don't get any bonus items for getting it early or anything.

zeox

I said to myself that I was strong enough to wait for an english localization... Can't wait to play later today! :D

ranmafan

Alright, I'm gonna start learning Japanese and order the game lol

Good luck if you do. But yeah thankfully the level for the game is easier than most rpgs for Japanese learners. But yeah a good game along with a class or Normal Japanese study books, and the KanjiBox app are all great tools to have for Japanese learning

Link1110

Getting that 3ds version when I get paid next month. My living room has no air conditioning in this 35/90+ degree weather so PS4 version is gonna have to wait.

kromeo

Watched the stream for 5 minutes, already hating the music and sounds, ugh.

I might still import it because I love everything else.

There's still a small chance they pull a DQ8 again and give us better music for the western release..
They won't

sublimit

Banned
I envy all of you people who are fluent in Japanese (and not only because you can play and understand Japanese games)!Enjoy the ride guys! :)

Cruixant

Nice thread.

Not importing this time unfortunately, but I'll be looking forward to reading impressions! Such an special series.

You'll have to buy Japanese PSN codes from a site that emails them after purchase. Play-Asia, Solaris Japan, and Japan Codes all do that. I'm sure there are others.

Wow, every card I have gets rejected at P-A. I wonder what's up with that. I've never had issues with them before.

ranmafan

Yes, just checked the Square-Enix store page and my double pack is preparing for shipping so it should be sent any moment now. No doubt it will be here early in the morning. Absolutely going to start with the PS4 version. Then at times play through the 2d version on 3ds. Thats going to be one heck of a nostalgia trip playing through the game in that mode. Very excited about that.

The excitement is so high right now. Reminds me of last summer going to the Dragon Quest Live Spectator Tour. Now that was an amazing live show. I still can't believe they never released a blu-ray of that. Im pretty sure they had to have recorded one of the shows (they certainly recorded many of the rehearsals). Everyone here would enjoy that if you could see it. Somehow I hope one day if they did record it they release it. I wish I had gone to two shows, but at least I got to see it once, and got some cool merchandise too.

There's no retailer-specific early bird DLC, right? Just the しあわせのベスト and なりきんベスト code?

Yes, just checked the Square-Enix store page and my double pack is preparing for shipping so it should be sent any moment now. No doubt it will be here early in the morning. Absolutely going to start with the PS4 version. Then at times play through the 2d version on 3ds. Thats going to be one heck of a nostalgia trip playing through the game in that mode. Very excited about that.

The excitement is so high right now. Reminds me of last summer going to the Dragon Quest Live Spectator Tour. Now that was an amazing live show. I still can't believe they never released a blu-ray of that. Im pretty sure they had to have recorded one of the shows (they certainly recorded many of the rehearsals). Everyone here would enjoy that if you could see it. Somehow I hope one day if they did record it they release it. I wish I had gone to two shows, but at least I got to see it once, and got some cool merchandise too.

I just got my shipping notification from the SE store not three minutes ago for my double pack!
I'm so excited, but I just realised I didn't set a delivery time preference, so I hope I'm not going to be waiting all day!

artsi

I haven't heard much of it but that original video they released sounded like snes music and sound effects

Yep.

Midi music and SNES sound effects (also no voice acting) in a 2017 game isn't really my sauce.
Which is conflicting because the art style is beautiful and I'm interested in the gameplay / story.

ranmafan

I just got my shipping notification from the SE store not three minutes ago for my double pack!
I'm so excited, but I just realised I didn't set a delivery time preference, so I hope I'm not going to be waiting all day!

From my experience getting the Final Fantasy XV and NieR special editions from there, mine arrived early in the morning, like around 9 without a delivery time set. So it should be the same. Of course it can depend on where you are and all. Im not that far from Tokyo so I tend to get all my packages early in the morning. But yeah exciting times!

And just now I got my email too! Oh I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

From my experience getting the Final Fantasy XV and NieR special editions from there, mine arrived early in the morning, like around 9 without a delivery time set. So it should be the same. Of course it can depend on where you are and all. Im not that far from Tokyo so I tend to get all my packages early in the morning. But yeah exciting times!

And just now I got my email too! Oh I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

Ahh, you're lucky! I got Nier from the Square Store as well, and from memory, it didn't come until the afternoon. I'll be crossing my fingers for tomorrow morning, haha!

ranmafan

Ahh, you're lucky! I got Nier from the Square Store as well, and from memory, it didn't come until the afternoon. I'll be crossing my fingers for tomorrow morning, haha!

Hope you get it sooner tomorrow. I was lucky to get mine early, although for both NieR and Final Fantasy they were work days so while it arrived at my house early, I was stuck at work until I could play them. Thankfully that won't be a problem tomorrow.

Aeana

Nice OP, looking forward to the game.

Hadn't really been paying attention and didn't realize the 2d mode is 8-bit NES style and not 16-bit SNES style. Outside the retro nostalgia, not sure if I wanna play a full 60 hour+ rpg in 8-bit these days.

Oh man, I didn't realize they were doing this again. I still have my PS2 slime controller. Looks like they haven't changed anything since then :p

It is SNES style. What you may be seeing is one of the retro dungeons from DQ1. There's several of these in the game, and they each have the graphical style of one of the prior DQs.

It is SNES style. What you may be seeing is one of the retro dungeons from DQ1. There's several of these in the game, and they each have the graphical style of one of the prior DQs.

Are they street pass locked? I can only vaguely remember that from a stream...

ZeroD

I still have to decide which one to play first! I'm thinking 3DS and then PS4.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but where should I look for DQ orchestra/tours etc. This is a general question for orhestral game music in general honestly. I've been here in Japan nearly 4 years and I still have no idea where to look! Me and my wife want to experience one.

Sorry to hijack!

ranmafan

I still have to decide which one to play first! I'm thinking 3DS and then PS4.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but where should I look for DQ orchestra/tours etc. This is a general question for orhestral game music in general honestly. I've been here in Japan nearly 4 years and I still have no idea where to look! Me and my wife want to experience one.

Sorry to hijack!

I've never been to one of the Dragon Quest concerts but I know they happen often, and I can say from experience video game concerts here are very very good and worth seeing. Went to the Fire Emblem anniversary concert, the Tokyo Mirage Sessions concert, a live stage performance from the Sakura Taisen cast, and the very first Zelda 25th anniversary concert and they were all amazing experiences. I would check ticket sites, or like Lawson ticket magazines for information. I always get emails from them about Dragon Quest Events coming up, and there tend to be many concerts. Same for other game concerts.

As for the live event like thing I mentioned before, sadly that was a one time thing done last summer over the course of two months as part of the 30th anniversary. And like I said before, it was absolutely incredible! Easily one of the my favorite live events (not just gaming but any live event) Ive ever been to. Its up there with the other concerts and the Sakura Taisen live show I went to in 2002, and it easily surpasses them all. The production that went into that tour was unbelievable. It was basically a live stage performance unlike any show I had ever seen. Theres some great clips of it on youtube of the rehearsals, but sadly they never released it on blu ray. Which is a shame cause its a great show well worth seeing again and again. I just hope they decide to do another show like that one day. Seeing the Dragon Quest world performed in live action the way they did it was an experience Ill never forget.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

This will be great.

I don't know any Japanese. What is the easiest way to learn? I want to be able to read.

Strings

Oh man, I didn't see that. Sooooo cool.

I don't know any Japanese. What is the easiest way to learn? I want to be able to read.

I used an anki (https://apps.ankiweb.net/) deck based on Heisig's book to learn the kanji (~30 new ones every day, not that hard since a lot of the keywords build on each other), and a random vocab deck with pronunciation (~20ish new words a day). Tae Kim's website is great for grammar (http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar).

You can start reading kid manga in like 2-3 weeks, then work up to an easy game with a dictionary in ~2 months (I used Yo-kai Sangokushi because it has furigana). Easily the most important part is just to never skip a day.

Top Bottom