• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 5 PS2 fan translation released

Aeana

Somewhat surprised that nobody posted about this (or if they did, I didn't see it).

DQ Translations finally released their fan translation patch for the PS2 version of Dragon Quest 5 which, in my opinion, is the best version of the game available. They released two versions of the patch: one with Dragon Warrior-style names, and one with the newer Dragon Quest 8-style names.

Some screenshots of the Japanese version:

9hoqwg.jpg
2mrv71x.jpg
1zd2jnt.jpg

Translation in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2iMPL0lPYQ

Project page, with download links: http://www.dqtranslations.com/projects/dq5r

Bebpo

Banned
Awesome.

My favorite DQ <3 The 3d animated enemies are lovely in this and the orchestrated music is bliss.

Geneijin

Aww, I just managed to get a copy of the NDS one a few days ago.

Does this patch work with the Utlimate Hits version? I might import.

Edit: Might as well also ask what makes the PS2 one the definitive version of DQ5?

Kishgal

Banned
Geneijin said:
Aww, I just managed to get a copy of the NDS one a few days ago.

Does this patch work with the Utlimate Hits version? I might import.
Pretty sure it does. I have the UH version, so I'll be testing it out soon.

Red Scarlet

ElectricThunder PM'd me about it the other day, thought he was going to make a topic (but it won't get many replies). If I had a modded PS2 I'd give it a try, but I don't..so no go.

Red Scarlet

I used that to play P4 at school without my PS2, but it was a glitchy, crashy mess. I could patch it I guess, but no idea how to do that stuff with PS2 games. I'd give it a try sometime, never played 5 in English.

Kishgal said:
Well, it seems that the game works very well in PCSX2, if your PC is good enough for that.

Guess I need to check that out then. Not sure if my PC can handle it or not, but I am looking into building a new behemoth anyhow.

Wow; I never realized this remake existed. I played a bit of a fan translation of the SNES version, then fell in love with the game on DS. Now I'll have to try it again with these glorious visuals and music. How does the translation compare to the official one?

Geneijin

Since Red Scarlet brought it up, is the translation patch applied similar to how undubs are done?

On a side note, woah at the size.

Kishgal

Banned
RedScarlet said:
I used that to play P4 at school without my PS2, but it was a glitchy, crashy mess. I could patch it I guess, but no idea how to do that stuff with PS2 games. I'd give it a try sometime, never played 5 in English.
The patch thing comes with detailed instructions about how to patch the thing. You just need to make an ISO of your disc first, and follow them.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Wow; I never realized this remake existed. I played a bit of a fan translation of the SNES version, then fell in love with the game on DS. Now I'll have to try it again with these glorious visuals and music. How does the translation compare to the official one?
Going by the bits of text I've seen on the wiki, I'd say the translation itself isn't in the same league as the DS one. But it's not bad or anything. It's a very literal translation of the Japanese version, without the humor added in the English DS game.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Well I've played both the Super Famicom and the DS versions, so I suppose I might as well make it a three-fer.

Red Scarlet

As a bonus, you are guaranteed to eventually get 5 watermelons on the 100 coin slot machine, for a 300,000 win. People a long time ago found out how to get it to occur whenever they wanted through # of resets or something, but I never kept hold of that information. I just played until I got the 5 watermelons anyway.

Aeana

Hey Scarlet, are you going to get DQ6 DS (it's out this week)? Somebody should probably make a thread for it. Someone besides me.

Geneijin

Kishgal said:
Pretty sure it does. I have the UH version, so I'll be testing it out soon.

Nice. Let me know how it goes then if you can. I'll probably finish the NDS one before I attempt the PS2 one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I should probably mod my PS2 phat... but I've had it for so many years and it's still flawless... I have a hangup against it I guess :p

It's too bad eBay and online retailers no longer allow pre-modded systems... seems like the best way is to buy one pre-modded from a forum's buy/sell/trade thread or to order the modchip yourself and start soldering... this scares me. How hard is it?

Kishgal

Banned
I'd make the DQ6 thread if I could. I guess it'll still be a while before I can make threads, though. I hope someone does it soon. There's nowhere to post the kind of crappy TV commercial. :eek:

Red Scarlet said:
ElectricThunder PM'd me about it the other day, thought he was going to make a topic (but it won't get many replies). If I had a modded PS2 I'd give it a try, but I don't..so no go.

See it all worked out eventually---with pictures and everything! :lol

Of the Dragon Quest games I've played thus far V is easily my favorite. I'd totally love to plat the PS2 remake but how would you apply the translation patch? Import the game, rip it, patch it and play it on a PS2 emulator on a PC or is there a means of modding a PS2 and somehow applying the patch? Do you have to have an older PS2 with the HDD?

I checked out the site and the youtube vid but neither make mention of how one would use the patch.

Kishgal

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Of the Dragon Quest games I've played thus far V is easily my favorite. I'd totally love to plat the PS2 remake but how would you apply the translation patch? Import the game, rip it, patch it and play it on a PS2 emulator on a PC or is there a means of modding a PS2 and somehow applying the patch? Do you have to have an older PS2 with the HDD?

I checked out the site and the youtube vid but neither make mention of how one would use the patch.
The patch file itself comes with a PDF that mentions how to apply and play it. To play it, you either need to use PCSX2 or have some way to boot copies on your PS2. That can either be through a mod chip, or a swap method like the flip top case + Swap Magic, or HD Loader or something like that.

oh come the fuck on, I already got FM5 and Zodiac FF12 to finish

is there any issue with diferent version of the game? FM5's translation doesn't work with the Greatest Hits version for instances

Geneijin

BocoDragon said:
It's too bad eBay and online retailers no longer allow pre-modded systems... seems like the best way is to buy one pre-modded from a forum's buy/sell/trade thread or to order the modchip yourself and start soldering... this scares me. How hard is it?

Could always look around on craigslist. And personally, I would advise against soldering yourself without practicing first.

Mod-chip's aren't the only alternative to having a region-free PS2 and playing patched games like DQ5. Like Kishgal mentioned, there are other methods like Swap Magic and HDLoader.

Edit: Whoops, I meant, I advise against using the slide card + Swap Magic combo for a fat PS2. It'll damage the dvd drive.

Bebpo

Banned
Aeana said:
Hey Scarlet, are you going to get DQ6 DS (it's out this week)? Somebody should probably make a thread for it. Someone besides me.

I think everyone is waiting for the US release. Maybe Segata will make the thread? I know he's picking it up. I know absolutely nothing about DQVI, so thread making on that game is not for me.

ethelred

Cool. I've had the PS2 game sitting on my shelves for a while. I'll play through it in English at some point, but... not any time soon, probably. There are just too many new games coming out over the next few months (I'm in the midst of Sands of Destruction and Glory of Heracles, and I'm getting Mass Effect 2 on Monday), and as pretty as the PS2 game is, it hasn't been that long since I last played through DQ5.

Prime crotch said:
oh come the fuck on, I already got FM5 and Zodiac FF12 to finish

is there any issue with diferent version of the game? FM5's translation doesn't work with the Greatest Hits version for instances

Yeah, I've got both of these on my list ahead of DQ5 PS2, too.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Geneijin said:
Could always look around on craigslist. And personally, I would advise against soldering yourself without practicing first.

Mod-chip's aren't the only alternative to having a region-free PS2 and playing patched games like DQ5. Like Kishgal mentioned, there are other methods like Swap Magic and HDLoader.

Edit: Whoops, I meant, I advise against using the slide card + Swap Magic combo for a fat PS2. It'll damage the dvd drive.
Yes, and HDLoader doesn't support PSone games (I want it to play Policenauts English translation on real hardware)...

I will hunt down a pre-mod system then... Slim would be nice.

Jeels

Oh wow, DQV was my favorite of the DS bunch so far. This remake style really lends itself well to the game, and they really remade it exactly how it originally is? =O

2San

Is this the one where you start of as a kid and then grow along the way till your an adult?

If it is how does it play on with the PS2 emulator?

If not I think I finally have to properly mod my ps2. I had a swap magic thing going on a for a while, but the NTSC games would lag during movies, hence I threw it away since I got it for NTSC games. >_____>

I only played DQ8, but that was non story driven one out of the DQ bunch, so didn't like it much.

Kishgal

Banned
Jeels said:
Oh wow, DQV was my favorite of the DS bunch so far. This remake style really lends itself well to the game, and they really remade it exactly how it originally is? =O
Huh? I'm not sure what you're asking, but... it sounds like you think the PS2 version is the original? The PS2 version was DQ5's very first remake, and the DS version is based on it. The game was originally for SNES.

Red Scarlet

For those confused..the DS version of DQ5 is the PS2 remake but with DQ7's graphics engine.

I don't know what he means either, Frey. DQ8 was as story driven as..the rest of them.

Xelinis

2San said:
I only played DQ8, but that was non story driven one out of the DQ bunch, so didn't like it much.

Uhh, DQVIII is more story driven than any other game in the series.

Jeels

Kishgal said:
Huh? I'm not sure what you're asking, but... it sounds like you think the PS2 version is the original? The PS2 version was DQ5's very first remake, and the DS version is based on it. The game was originally for SNES.

Oh I know I know, I had no questions, sorry, I was just saying how faithfully each version remains.

Xelinis said:
Uhh, DQVIII is more story driven than any other game in the series.
Nah, DQV definitely takes that. DQVIII is in the next tier down with DQIV.

As for a DQVI thread, I'm definitely picking the game up, but I wouldn't even know where to start with the thread. If anyone can offer a little help, I suppose I could make it.

Red Scarlet

Talk about illusions or the DQM guy being in this game too or something.

If I had the cash I'd import, but that hasn't been the case for almost a year now.

Kishgal

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Nah, DQV definitely takes that. DQVIII is in the next tier down with DQIV.

As for a DQVI thread, I'm definitely picking the game up, but I wouldn't even know where to start with the thread. If anyone can offer a little help, I suppose I could make it.
If you'd like, I could put something together and PM it to you or someone else to post, since I can't make threads yet.

Top Bottom