• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Warriors of Eden (3DS/JP) |OT|

I am not ashamed to admit that I would potentially buy the game three times to get all of those bonus items. Ugh.

At least I would have two excellent birthday or Christmas presents, eh?

~ZIO~

Neo Member
I can't wait until we get it on NA shores. I love the DQ series.

I hope, then, that we also manage to get 1-3 at some point again. as well.

I just started playing the Japanese version on the PS1. The graphics have aged pretty badly on that one. It's a mixture of polygons and sprites and you get the worst of both worlds. All the graphical enhancements look nice on the 3DS.

You basically unlock new islands (which are their own self contained worlds), do a "save the world" quest, and then the island you saved gets added onto the main map. It's heavily implied that the worlds you travel to are in the past, and the main world is the present. So it's like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Dragon Quest 6, Zelda: Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, etc. where there's 2 worlds and the actions in one affect the other.

So far there really isn't much of a story. All the islands you travel to have so far had their own self contained stories so once you finish one you go to another one. It does feel like it's starting to get repetitive. I mean how many mini-save the world quests can you do? There isn't much of an overarching story yet either. But the rest of the game does have the usual DQ polish and focus on exploration and lack of handholding that most JRPGs don't have.

The one thing I never got about the DQ games is the music. The typical Koichi Sugiyama music is always just bland background filler and never seems to rise above anything more. Nobuo Uematsu, Yuzo Koshiro, among others have made music for decades that is entertaining to listen to as well as adds something to the game but there has never been a single memorable Sugiyama tune from a DQ game that I can think of.

One thing I do like about this one is that they made it a bit more puzzle focused than previous games. It takes away a bit from the mindless grinding and battles. The fact that you don't get into any battles for the first hour (though it took me almost 3 hrs to get to a battle) is a good thing.

I really want to play the 3DS version after seeing some shots but I'm too far into the PS1 version to start over.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
tumblr_m5clzcf3hs1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

Pre-ordered awhile ago. This is the release that pushed me to import a 3DS. Can't wait! I played 7 on playstation way back but I gave up at some point, looking forward to playing it again and happy to see the improvements.

urfe

So I guess that's pre-ordering the physical game?

The falcon sword is pretty awesome (and it's really shitty it's a pre-order exclusive), so I may just get the physical game from Square-Enix.

I haven't finished Bravely Default or Layton vs AA yet though.

Tough being a Japanese 3DS owner, I tell you.

cj_iwakura

Fair warning, a friend said this was like the longest, most tedious RPG he's ever played, like 70+ hours. I've yet to play it though. (I have Dragon Warrior VII backlogged, never heard of this silly 'Quest' game...)

matt360

This is harsh. Here I am living in Japan, but with a US 3DS. Everywhere I go there are ads for this game, and every time I see them I'm reminded that I won't be able to enjoy it.

I really, really like that you can see your characters in this one. For some reason, games with fully 1st person battles (especially the Saturn SMT games) have trouble holding my attention (although DQ appears to have made a strong effort to animate enemies really well in the past). I'll be anticipating this one. : )

Aeana

Fair warning, a friend said this was like the longest, most tedious RPG he's ever played, like 70+ hours. I've yet to play it though. (I have Dragon Warrior VII backlogged, never heard of this silly 'Quest' game...)
It's funny how people still say it's the longest RPG when people regularly quote their playtimes for Persona 3 and 4 as considerably longer. Just goes to show how memories color perception.

urfe

I remember being 50 hours into the PSX version... and finally reaching the second disc!

It's the perfect Dragon Quest game for a Dragon Quest fan (my second favorite). I can see how more modern RPG fans would dislike certain aspects of it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nice OT, Aeana.

This, Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 3, Labyrinth no Kanata, Puyo Puyo 20th anniversary, and Bravely Default are seriously pushing me to get a Japanese 3DS.

Looking forward to impressions from everyone (especially of the Monster Park stuff); I want to see if it's the definitive version of this game since I've never played the original.

Tough being a Japanese 3DS owner, I tell you.
I'd like to experience that sorta scenario. :|

It took me over 100 hours to beat Xenogears so I assume it'll like me a billion hours with this one, given the reputation. I think creativity and variation carry exceptionally long games, so here's to hoping.

The one thing I never got about the DQ games is the music. The typical Koichi Sugiyama music is always just bland background filler and never seems to rise above anything more. Nobuo Uematsu, Yuzo Koshiro, among others have made music for decades that is entertaining to listen to as well as adds something to the game but there has never been a single memorable Sugiyama tune from a DQ game that I can think of.

Sugiyama's style is atypical for videogame music, but I would hardly call it bland or forgettable.

I mean, the town music from DQ7 is quite catchy. I'm also fond of the Fane music from a little later in that video. It's not going to knock you back in your seat, but I think it's delicate and mysterious and exactly right for the game.

DQIII's "Heavenly Flight" is lovely. It was even nicer in the western release of DQ8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vamr7qq6hoA.

DQ8's map music is maybe the best in the last decade.

And what about the DQ theme itself? Seems pretty memorable to me.

ranmafan

I'm really looking forward to getting this next Thursday. Hopefully many of my students will get it to so I can take advantage of the street pass more.

Nice OT, Aeana.

This, Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 3, Labyrinth no Kanata, Puyo Puyo 20th anniversary, and Bravely Default are seriously pushing me to get a Japanese 3DS.

Looking forward to impressions from everyone (especially of the Monster Park stuff); I want to see if it's the definitive version of this game since I've never played the original.

I'd like to experience that sorta scenario. :|

After an impulse buy to experience Revelations (which is now on every platform except for the one I decided I didn't want to wait for it to be ported to), I ended up "trading" it for a Japanese one. At this point Nintendo platform localizations seem pretty unpredictable though.

This is harsh. Here I am living in Japan, but with a US 3DS. Everywhere I go there are ads for this game, and every time I see them I'm reminded that I won't be able to enjoy it.

Get a Japanese 3DS. I broke down and got one for both regions. I think I might be able to handle Dragon Quest in Japanese with my laptop open to jisho.org , but I prefer Fire Emblem, Crimson Shroud, and other text heavy games in English (plus I've played this in English on PS1 and have all the other DQ games in Japanese).

My Japanese reading is still fairly low level, as I only know about 300 kanji well. The fact that this game has furigana makes me want to play it more, as the older games are hard for me to read because they don't have much kanji and it can be hard to tell where some words break in hiragana, while the classic FF games are hard because they have so much kanji and tiny fonts.

matt360

Get a Japanese 3DS. I broke down and got one for both regions. I think I might be able to handle Dragon Quest in Japanese with my laptop open to jisho.org , but I prefer Fire Emblem, Crimson Shroud, and other text heavy games in English (plus I've played this in English on PS1 and have all the other DQ games in Japanese).

My Japanese reading is still fairly low level, as I only know about 300 kanji well. The fact that this game has furigana makes me want to play it more, as the older games are hard for me to read because they don't have much kanji and it can be hard to tell where some words break in hiragana, while the classic FF games are hard because they have so much kanji and tiny fonts.

I would if I could. It's not a language thing, but more of a money thing. I played DQ9 in Japanese back on my DS Lite and put nearly 200 hours into it. My wife actually has a JPN 3DS but her sister is currently using it. I don't think we'll see it any time soon so I'll just hold out and hope for a US release. Why did Nintendo have to region lock the 3DS?!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why did Nintendo have to region lock the 3DS?!
Pretty much helps to monitor their bottom line and how their products are controlled/allocated/marketed worldwide.

At this point Nintendo platform localizations seem pretty unpredictable though.
Yeah, that's why I'm not so sure if I want to invest in one yet given that stuff like Project X Zone was localized.

The only way I can probably be pushed to purchase one is if Konami grows a brain and puts a Suikoden game on the platform, or if a Tales game is developed for the platform and is not localized for the west.

Wow! I wonder if people will line up for it. :O

jae

Have they said anything about an e-Shop release? I'm not sure I want this badly enough to pay for a physical copy & shipping, but if it was on the shop I could see myself impulse purchasing it out of boredom.

Aeana

Wow! I wonder if people will line up for it. :O
Would certainly be better this time than the original DQ7 launch, which was in August and it was extremely hot and awful. But these days, there's little point to lining up unless it's for an event (like the original DQ7 event, got to meet Horii back then).

Aeana

Have they said anything about an e-Shop release? I'm not sure I want this badly enough to pay for a physical copy & shipping, but if it was on the shop I could see myself impulse purchasing it out of boredom.
Yes, it's going to be available on the eshop. I thought I put that in the OT, but apparently I didn't.

Teknoman

Do I need to harass Nintendo or SE on twitter to get this released in NA?

EVERYONE.

Seriously though, this has to come out here. I really hope that DQ initiative starting back with VIII wasnt for nothing. That and now I cant truck through PS1 version knowing that the 3DS version exists.

Thems fighting words, son. I stand by my opinion that Koichi Sugiyama is one of, if not THEE greatest composers ever and to claim that his work is "bland background filler" is out and out insulting and incorrect. He is literally the reason I have such an intense interest in music and taught myself how to play piano.

Here are some of the highlights of his career, with regards to Dragon Quest (since this is a Dragon Quest thread):

Endless World (DQII world map themes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmu2KIi627Y

Battle for Glory (Dragon Quest IV battle theme)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1LAucsTaM
Notice the crescendo. That is something they carried into the game's actual soundtrack, something that was unheard of in the NES days.

Frigtening Dungeon/Terrifying Towers (DQIV dungeon themes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25U9qVtEbY4

Velcro Fly

This might take over the #1 spot on my games I want localized list. Been playing a lot of DQ since this game was announced. Come on Nintendo don't let us down :(

terrisus

Really hoping this makes its way over to the US. Finally got the PS1 version 2 years ago, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Debating whether to get around to that, or wait hoping this comes over here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Would certainly be better this time than the original DQ7 launch, which was in August and it was extremely hot and awful. But these days, there's little point to lining up unless it's for an event (like the original DQ7 event, got to meet Horii back then).
Oh, this game doesn't have any events attached to it? I remember one of my former profs telling me he lined up for DQ3&4 as if it were a usual thing to do, so I figured DQ7 3DS would be the same case.

(Also, jealous)

It's okay, bro. We've got Fire Emblem.
I got my copy today! Eager to dig in tonight.

Aeana

Oh, this game doesn't have any events attached to it? I remember one of my former profs telling me he lined up for DQ3&4 as if it were a usual thing to do, so I figured DQ7 3DS would be the same case.

(Also, jealous)
There always is for new mainline games, but not usually for remakes or spinoffs.

Top Bottom