• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Warriors of Eden (3DS/JP) |OT|

Aeana

iyu25AK2Fxb6v.png

ibjC5jtKtXJmoy.png

Title: Dragon Quest 7: Warriors of Eden
Developer: Arte Piazza
Publisher: Square Enix
System: Nintendo 3DS
Genre: RPG
Release: February 7, 2013 (JP) - retail/eShop

Dragon Quest 7 was originally released for the PlayStation in August, 2000. It was the only main Dragon Quest game released during that era, and it had a long and storied development which included at least one platform jump, originally being developed for the N64. The resulting game became infamous in many circles for its dated look and sheer daunting length, but is remembered fondly by the majority of fans for its interesting take on time travel, massive amount of content, and memorable vignettes and locations.

iHND4GJMv1Hbx.png

ibuZNEWt5rdTVP.png

Square Enix has finally extended retailer preorder exclusive nonsense to Dragon Quest in Japan.​

• Lawson / L-PACA / HMV: Slime Tray [Defense +17] - a cute tray in the shape of a slime
  • Tsutaya: Slime Stick [Attack +28] - a cute stick shaped like a slime
  • Square Enix e-Store: Falcon Sword [Attack +22] - a wonderful sword that can attack twice in rapid succession

ifUOWd5jlAz0C.jpg
ibMPMHjZkjYWV.jpg
ibMSFTGJ0Ktpo.jpg

ib06LRcwjxu4b.png
  • Recreated in full 3D.
  • Over-the-shoulder third-person battle perspective to appease cosmicblizzard.
  • Fully orchestrated soundtrack performed by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra.
  • Class changing system with unique outfits for each character/class.
  • Shard locating services such as a shard radar that marks the shards on your map, and a new companion who can give you hints about shard locations at any time.
  • Visible encounters similar to Dragon Quest 9, with a fully redesigned world map to accommodate them.
  • The monster park and immigrant town sidequests have been expanded significantly to take advantage of StreetPass. You can also form parties of monsters at the monster park and take them into dungeons to find treasures.

iueUxReAvIr0b.png

gCE0k2k.jpg
Ul2GjFa.jpg
B2oS733.jpg

8KO5aOT.jpg
RJpex23.jpg
8M9HGtm.jpg

u0pzDco.jpg
qWvsm9l.jpg
KAPdOKx.jpg

Gloam

Nice work! Can't wait to get this in the mail. Did two-day shipping on it so hopefully it'll be here soon after release. I remember receiving DQX the day after release which wasn't too shabby.

fates

Real talk, the sheer size of this game has me really concerned about localization especially when the company in question is Square Enix, who very much been less than enthused about translating their games.

Yeah, uh, the title is directly translated, unless you want to use a different translation for 戦士. But that's stupid.

EDIT: Forgot to quote the weasel to make it obvious who this was directed to.

BD1

Banned
What are the odds Nintendo publishes this in the US? (Assuming the trend of Nintendo publishing instead of SE, continues)

I'd love to pick it up. I like having big, epic RPGs on handheld that I can casually pick-up-and-play when I'm on business travel.

pyrandes

Real talk, the sheer size of this game has me really concerned about localization especially when the company in question is Square Enix, who very much been less than enthused about translating their games.

If the main script is roughly the same, then the translation is basically done (as per the PS1 DQVII release). probably would need touch up here and there, but I haven't played DQVII in a number of years.

Wouldn't the company in question more likely be Nintendo, given that they've taken the reins for publishing DQ titles in North America for the past few years? Doesn't seem like that will improve our chances much though, looking at their recent track record with the series.

fates

What are the odds Nintendo publishes this in the US? (Assuming the trend of Nintendo publishing instead of SE, continues)

I think the Nintendo part of it wouldn't be too hard. This game is gonna be huge in Japan and could do really well here to if they gave it a push like IX. It has some features IX did so it could work.

Doubly so considering the JRPG resurgence Ni No Kuni could kick off.

The big roadblock here is that even if Nintendo publishes, the localizing rests with Square Enix. This game is huge, and has A LOT of text and party chat. Square Enix has trouble giving western fans anything not Lightning or from Eidos. Not to mention they gave up halfway with VI.

Aeana

If the main script is roughly the same, then the translation is basically done (as per the PS1 DQVII release). probably would need touch up here and there, but I haven't played DQVII in a number of years.
There is pretty much a 0% chance of them using the original English translation. It's not very well-done, and it also doesn't fit the style of modern Dragon Quest translations at all.

fates

I don't think they are gonna use that. They might not even be able to anymore.

Dragon Quest VII is probably my favorite in the series. All three of the co-creators were at the top of their game, though a lot of people bashed Toriyama's work which is a shame because he was trying to do something different than his typical DBZ look. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

I love the story. Each town's vignette is excellent. Easily the best written stuff in the series in that regard.

And the music is fantastic too. A little bit gloomier compared to Sugiyama's usual fair, but it works. Some really creepy leitmotifs used throughout.

I can't wait.

Edit: I just hope they don't go overboard with the puns this time around. DQVII is a much more somber game than most in the series. There are jokes here and there, but I really hate how overboard they've gone in the last 6 years. Still, 6 was a marked improvement in that regard.

lupin23rd

Any word on if its available on eshop as well, or just cart? For some reason I find myself wanting to download games on 3DS, but ill probably wait to see if the SRW game included in the hardware limited edition package is cart or download.

Rpgmonkey

Oh wow, forgot this was coming out in just a few days. Wish I had a Japanese 3DS, it's starting to get really tempting at this point...

Hopefully this comes to West as it's one of the DQ entries I haven't gotten to.

Polari

Wouldn't the company in question more likely be Nintendo, given that they've taken the reins for publishing DQ titles in North America for the past few years? Doesn't seem like that will improve our chances much though, looking at their recent track record with the series.

IX sold pretty well didn't it? I think this will probably make it over. Here's hoping anyway. Sounds like they've done a pretty extensive job on this one.

Salvadora

Dragon Quest VII is probably my favorite in the series. All three of the co-creators were at the top of their game, though a lot of people bashed Toriyama's work which is a shame because he was trying to do something different than his typical DBZ look. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

I love the story. Each town's vignette is excellent. Easily the best written stuff in the series in that regard.

And the music is fantastic too. A little bit gloomier compared to Sugiyama's usual fair, but it works. Some really creepy leitmotifs used throughout.

I can't wait.

Edit: I just hope they don't go overboard with the puns this time around. DQVII is a much more somber game than most in the series. There are jokes here and there, but I really hate how overboard they've gone in the last 6 years. Still, 6 was a marked improvement in that regard.
This is music to my ears. I hope we get this in Europe.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sometimes I think it would make sense just to go ahead and buy a Japanese 3DS. Me thinking they might not bring this here accelerates that. They even have better colors.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Still haven't heard an answer on this, so I'll ask again--is there any way to adjust the camera? Shit looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay too zoomed-in.

Any word on if its available on eshop as well, or just cart? For some reason I find myself wanting to download games on 3DS, but ill probably wait to see if the SRW game included in the hardware limited edition package is cart or download.

The official website says it'll have a digital release.

hongcha

My preorder has been locked in for a few months now, can't wait! And I'm sure this will get localized in English eventually. All the other DS DQ mainline games have, and this is the biggest RPG on the 3DS to date.

WTF?
Wasn't this just announced?
How is it out already?

That's how it should be. A game is announced, and it is released shortly after.

I'm hoping and wishing we get an NA release for this. I didn't get a chance to play it on Playstation and a friend has been raving about it for a good seven years now. I hope it's still just as meaty as it was previously. I love the idea of a 100 hour juggernaut that's portable. :)

Top Bottom