• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8 (3DS) Releasing Jan 20th in the States

Penguin

From Nintendo

With the new year comes new quests and great adventures, and 2017 will be no different when the DRAGON QUEST VIII: Journey of the Cursed King game comes to the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on Jan. 20. This handheld retelling of the classic RPG will be back and bigger than ever, with two new playable characters, more side quests and the ability to battle monsters on the go.

Returning heroes may also find that elements of DRAGON QUEST VIII: Journey of the Cursed King have been streamlined for this hand-held outing. The new Quick-Save function allows players to save and exit the game at any time. And for warriors in a hurry, battling foes is also much faster with the introduction of the “Speed Up” feature, allowing heroes to cut their way through each encounter with much greater haste.

Those who wish to capture mementos of their quest to restore peace to the land will now find it’s easier than ever before, as at any time outside of battles and cutscenes players can pause the action and take a photo of their adventure thus far. These photos can be customized in a variety of different ways, including allowing The Hero and his companions to perform special poses, adding stickers and filters, or putting a frame around the image to add a personal touch to their memory. Once the player meets Cameron Obscura in Port Prospect they’ll also be able to unlock Cameron’s Codex, where they’ll be rewarded for taking pictures of certain subjects, monsters and situations.

CwV-CsqWEAAwf3j.jpg

Oh wow I didn't think it would be so soon. This is the only game I wanted a 3ds for cause the ps2 version is a top 5 rpg for me. Time to buy one.

Too bad about the music though.

Ridley327

Glad it's soon, although it's in another packed time period.

To be fair, if it got the normal 3DS February RPG slot, it would have been straight-up slaughtered by all of the other RPGs hitting that month. Releasing ahead of them is not a bad move.

ZeroX03

Banned
I might pick this up, but I got like fours hour into DQVII and completely dropped it when I found out Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D got an English patch and haven't looked back.

I love DQM so much, wish the main series clicked for me in the same way.

oti

Banned
What a great time for RPG's. DQ7, Pokémon, FF XV, DQ8 and Persona 5. I'm currently playing Tokyo Mirage so this is even more perfect for me.

Zhao_Yun

January 20: Gravity Rush 2, DQ VIII
January 24: Yakuza 0, RE7, KH HD 2.8, Tales of Berseria

I can't remember ever being interested in so many games in January.

Seth

how different is this than 7? I played about halfway through 7 and gave up, it was just really boring to me.

Assuming EU has the same date, that's less than a month before Persona 5. Gonna be tough staying on top of all these JRPGs.

wagamer

Is there a recap somewhere about what all is new in 3DS version? Or is it just those mentioned in the OP? Don't know if I should play this on P
C
S
X
2 or 3DS.

Aeana

I skipped 7 because it's so long. Have no idea how long 8 is but I've never played and people love it. So I'm getting that 100%.
People love 7 too, though.

8 isn't a short game either, but not as long as 7. The speed improvements in the EDS version and instant alchemy help a lot though.

LaneDS

I skipped 7 because it's so long. Have no idea how long 8 is but I've never played and people love it. So I'm getting that 100%.

VIII isn't nearly as long and also doesn't take nearly as long to get going, for whatever that's worth. Thirty hours into VII and I prefer VIII over it, but they're both quality entries.

PikkonX

I slacked off on DQVII, so hopefully I'll have time to finish it before this drops. I always wanted to check out this out on PS2, but never got the chance.

oti

Banned
People love 7 too, though.

8 isn't a short game either, but not as long as 7. The speed improvements in the EDS version and instant alchemy help a lot though.

Sure, but I distinctly remember seeing DQ8 praise back in the day but I never played it for some reason. Since I heard on 8-4 that DQ7 takes FOREVER I lost interest.

2San

So which game tends to higher rated by DQ fans, 7 or 8? I do know that 8 has more focus on the overarching story

Maniel

Banned
Does anyone know if this game has laggy menus like 7. It's not a deal breaker (I still loved 7), but it would be nice if it didn't.

LordKano

Sure, but I distinctly remember seeing DQ8 praise back in the day but I never played it for some reason. Since I heard on 8-4 that DQ7 takes FOREVER I lost interest.

Does it really change wether it's 65h for DQVIII or 85h for DQVII ? Both are massive games anyway.

how different is this than 7? I played about halfway through 7 and gave up, it was just really boring to me.
It's more central story based and has probably the most character development in a DQ game. It's what some fans suggest to people who really like Final Fantasy. Gone are classes and in weapon-based skills and abilities. Overall, a much different experience compared to VII.

Oh man, if this releases in the EU around the same time...

I won't be finished with FFXV and Pokemon in January. Then you have Persona 5 in February. KH 1.5 + 2.5 in March.

Tales of Berseria, Nier and Horizon too.

Oh well, luckily these are all singeplayer games so I can play them whenever. I can see myself playing DQ8 at the end of the year or something.

Top Bottom