• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 E3 trailer released

Aeana

There's also a new piece of art (click for larger version).

The file name was Erinn's Inn, so I guess they've named Rika "Erinn" in the English version.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nice, I'll be sure to check this out when I get home. Thanks.
On a different note... did anyone else get contacted via email by NoA's Dragon Quest Team regarding some pre-launch plans they have... planned? This would have been late last week.

Aeana

Mejilan said:
On a different note... did anyone else get contacted via email by NoA's Dragon Quest Team regarding some pre-launch plans they have... planned? This would have been late last week.
Yes, from GolinHarris. I got one last night. It seems like they actually contacted the admin of Dragon's Den and asked if they could contact several of the members. I really wonder exactly what it is they're doing, and why they want a shipping address.

botticus

Mejilan said:
Oh good, so I wasn't the only person on the internet who received that, delivered via Club Nintendo. I'm expecting something fun since they needed my shipping address. Hopefully it's nothing going on in New York unless they're mailing me airfare.

Mejilan

Yeah, they asked for my shipping address as well.
They asked for confirmation that was interested by Monday (yesterday).
I confirmed last week, but I haven't heard anything since.

What about you guys?

botticus

Mejilan said:
Yeah, they asked for my shipping address as well.
They asked for confirmation that was interested by Monday (yesterday).
I confirmed last week, but I haven't heard anything since.

What about you guys?
Ditto. Also, I am over the age of 13.

Aeana

I don't really get why they're using the DS synth version of the overture in these trailers. They have a version performed live they can use. Really strange.

Also, no, I haven't heard back yet.

Aeana

Nachkebia said:
The main reason I really loved DS dragon quests was because of marvelous 2d/3d art, wtf is shit shit, ugly 3d :(
If it helps, the majority of the NPCs in the game are still sprites. It's only important characters that get 3D models.

But for the record, I think DQ9 looks really good, especially on an actual DS screen.

Nachkebia

Banned
Aeana said:
If it helps, the majority of the NPCs in the game are still sprites. It's only important characters that get 3D models.

But for the record, I think DQ9 looks really good, especially on an actual DS screen.

Dragon-Quest-IV-DS-01.jpg

vs

dragon-quest-9-set-for-ds-20061211114834570_640w.jpg

:(

Haunted

Someone sum up the jGAF impressions for me.

Worthy entry in the series? Where does it rank between the other 4 DQ games on the DS?

Mejilan

Re: the visual style. DQVI makes 3 DS Dragon Quests with effectively the same exact technology and art style. I'm not disappointed that DQIX's a different beast.

Aeana said:

Alas! Not unexpected, though.

People, it's Dragon Quest. What do you need impressions for? At the bare minimum it's going to be an extremely competent traditional jRPG.

Woo new DQ so soon! Can't wait!!

Princess Skittles said:
I love Dragon Quest. I'm sad I didn't get asked to send my shipping address. :(
Yeah I wish I was involved, who knows what they're doing though.

Kad5

I wanna get this game but here's the issue.

I might be getting the next iPhone and if that happens im not sure my parents will be willing to let me have this game...

Unless I sell my Gamecube and a couple games.

How much can I get if I give my Gamecube to gamestop?

Im also saving up money for Metroid:Other M.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Kad5 said:

I might be getting the next iPhone and if that happens im not sure my parents will be willing to let me have this game...

I take it from the post you are rather young (i.e. not old enough to have a job)... why not see about mowing lawns or doing chores for $$, and put that aside for a copy of DQ9?

Haunted

Pureauthor said:
People, it's Dragon Quest. What do you need impressions for? At the bare minimum it's going to be an extremely competent traditional jRPG.
Well yeah, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make the necessary time investment if general impressions are just "competent" and people would rank it below the two remakes, for example.

I think it's legit to ask for some impressions, especially if you know that a bunch of knowledgeable people are already reading the thread. :)

Kad5

djtiesto said:
I take it from the post you are rather young (i.e. not old enough to have a job)... why not see about mowing lawns or doing chores for $$, and put that aside for a copy of DQ9?

Haha im 17 bro. I've been looking for a job it's just difficult these days.

My parents are letting me get an iPhone but only from the birthday money they originally gave me.

Reknoc

That's like alot of battle animations, some of them look quite long.

Awesome trailer though, totally excited for this.

Aeana

Haunted said:
Well yeah, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make the necessary time investment if general impressions are just "competent" and people would rank it below the two remakes, for example.

I think it's legit to ask for some impressions, especially if you know that a bunch of knowledgeable people are already reading the thread. :)
It's a very good game, and certainly one of the best original RPGs for DS. I have some issues with it (mostly to do with the job system and the dungeon design), and didn't finish it due to outside real life circumstances, but I would recommend it to anyone. DQ5 is often my favorite DQ, and I don't feel like 9 beats it, but as said above, there aren't actually any bad DQs. It's such a consistent series.

And even though I consider this to be a negative, it might sell some people on the game: it doesn't have random battles.

Teknoman

Kad5 said:

I really dont think Gamecube will net you that much credit, and if you were going to do the games, you might do better selling online. That is, unless you can hurry and get in on the 50% extra trade in promo.

jbeatle

Neo Member
damn that is a pretty game. Didn't know that armor was represented real-time, that's very enticing. Anyone know if the "co-op" is drop in, drop out? Online or Local? It's not a game breaker for me either way, but I'd still like to know.

Haunted

Aeana said:
It's a very good game, and certainly one of the best original RPGs for DS. I have some issues with it (mostly to do with the job system and the dungeon design), and didn't finish it due to outside real life circumstances, but I would recommend it to anyone. DQ5 is often my favorite DQ, and I don't feel like 9 beats it, but as said above, there aren't actually any bad DQs. It's such a consistent series.

And even though I consider this to be a negative, it might sell some people on the game: it doesn't have random battles.
:lol yeah, that's actually a positive for me.

Thanks for the impressions! :)

Aeana

jbeatle said:
damn that is a pretty game. Didn't know that armor was represented real-time, that's very enticing. Anyone know if the "co-op" is drop in, drop out? Online or Local? It's not a game breaker for me either way, but I'd still like to know.
It's local only. To set up a coop game, I think you have to initiate it from the inn in the first city, but I'm not sure since I never got to use it. I do know that once people join your world, they can go wherever they want, but can be teleported to the host at any time. I've heard it's pretty fun.

survivor

Banned
Nice trailer. I didn't keep up with the Japanese release of this game so I didn't know about customizing your character. I will see if I can get one of my friends to get the game since the co-op options seem pretty interesting.

I understand the battles aren't as quick as the 2D DQs, but how do they compare to DQVIII? Faster? Slower? About the same? Is there an option to adjust the speed?

Sacha

JustAnotherOtaku said:
So hyped for this. Was the UK release date ever confirmed? Not sure whether to wait for it to get a date or just preorder the US version.

July 23rd in Europe !

Sacha

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Yeah that's what I have down on my preorder list but haven't seen GAME or the likes give it a set in stone date.

Well, Nintendo announced the date in a PR so it should be definitive. But yeah, what's up with online stores ? I checked earlier, and DQIX isn't even listed on the major French videogames stores.

Aeana

decoyplatypus said:
I understand the battles aren't as quick as the 2D DQs, but how do they compare to DQVIII? Faster? Slower? About the same? Is there an option to adjust the speed?
They're faster than DQ8's, especially the NA version of DQ8 which is slower than the Japanese version, but nowhere near as fast as the DS remakes on the fastest speed. Kind of amazing considering that DQ9 adds even more animations (battlefield movement), but still manages to be faster. And no, there isn't an option to make them any faster. Still, I didn't find it to be unbearable like DQ8NA.

Bebpo

Banned
Haunted said:
Someone sum up the jGAF impressions for me.

Worthy entry in the series? Where does it rank between the other 4 DQ games on the DS?

I think the jGAF impressions were mixed.

Aeana, as stated, mainly likes it.
Segata Sanshiro really liked it.

duckroll didn't care for it.
I thought it was disappointing and the weakest DQ I've played (I haven't played 1-3,7)

My issues are that imo the job system is terrible and the story/characters are super weak for a DQ. On the plus side I felt the dungeon designs were very good and the graphics were nice.

Jonnyram

Aeana said:
There's also a new piece of art (click for larger version).

The file name was Erinn's Inn, so I guess they've named Rika "Erinn" in the English version.
I thought it was Ruida's Inn in Japanese :)

Salsa

Aeana said:
This is not a screenshot of DQ9 as it exists now. That's from the action RPG version, which looks considerably worse!

I was really excited for the action RPG version :( it may looked worse but a new twist in gameplay would have been nice.

Melville

So... no "real" characters in your team, right? They don't have a story, they don't speak, they just follow you around?

Top Bottom