• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 information/news thread

firex

Aeana said:
You can come across treasure maps in various places in the world (from NPCs, from chests, from bookcases, etc.), which lead to specific places on the map where you can trigger a dungeon entrance to appear. Inside are harder enemies and neat treasure and stuff.

Check out this post for some images and stuff.
Those sound pretty cool. I didn't realize they were the challenge dungeons, but then I don't think I even realized what those were about anyway.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
yankee666 said:
Finally a confirmation of the 7/11 release date (i still was worried about another delay). The day is near and u will be mine!!! :D
YESSSSSSSS.

king zell

so next month can we expect to see first footage of Dragon Quest X for the Wii? they always show footage for the next game if its coming out for another console after they release there current game

Grampasso

Aeana said:
Copy and paste it into your address bar. You have to do this with all Famitsu.com links.
Yes I know, it doesn't work anyway. When I accidentally did it on other links from famitsu I received a "forbidden link" notice, not a "Url not found" one. Well whatever :lol

Edit: I found the problem, the address showing in your link on the forum it's not the actual one, there are the dots to shorten it. Clicking on it + refreshing the page works

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
:lol wow I've never seen those SMAP commercials before. And Shingo is awesome, every movie he is in that I've seen he's always kicking ass somehow.

Also why the heck is Horii dressing like a gangster in that photo?

Rpgmonkey

WTF at that commercial. :lol

And looking at his outfit, I'm just going to say it because it instantly came to my mind:

Nomura in 20 years?

ElFly

I'd rather have them do Dragon Quest Emblem.

The Wars gameplay is so boring compared with FE.

edit: Apparently the title is even simpler than what I thought. Dunno what to make of this.

justchris

ElFly said:
I'd rather have them do Dragon Quest Emblem.

The Wars gameplay is so boring compared with FE.

edit: Apparently the title is even simpler than what I thought. Dunno what to make of this.

I like them both. Wars is really built for something completely different than FE. A Fire Emblem with Dragon Quest characters/monsters would be awesome though. I am not against this idea in the slightest.

I have been secretly dreaming that Matsuno is working with Intelligent Systems to develop a Smash Bros. Tactical SRPG using various characters and creatures from the Nintendo stable of iconic characters. Nothing Nintendo says will impress me until that's announced.

Aeana

Lots and lots of really neat stuff. They go over a bunch of the game's systems, and show some surprising things (
combos?
). It's a very in-depth video. Also loving most of the music that they showed!

I'm uploading it to YouTube, too.. should be done in a little bit.

Really awesome video. The music was great, and the game looks like it's going to be a ton of fun. It makes me sad that we're probably not going to get this game for close to a year over here. (Although I still have plenty left in VIII and haven't even bought V yet, so I'll be held over)

speedpop

Looks a lot better than from what I remembered. The multiplayer segment didn't excite me too much, and it seems like they're adding that non-Sugiyama track in too.

Other than that it's going to be awesome playing it.

mclem

justchris said:
I have been secretly dreaming that Matsuno is working with Intelligent Systems to develop a Smash Bros. Tactical SRPG using various characters and creatures from the Nintendo stable of iconic characters. Nothing Nintendo says will impress me until that's announced.
It sort-of worked for Namco X Capcom, at least...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
how soon after it's released would you say there'll be people gracious enough to put up a basic translation guide for the menus and the very basics? i want to import, but i also don't want to be completely in the dark for too long. how long do these things take, a couple days?

Red Scarlet

mattiewheels said:
how soon after it's released would you say there'll be people gracious enough to put up a basic translation guide for the menus and the very basics? i want to import, but i also don't want to be completely in the dark for too long. how long do these things take, a couple days?

I'd do it the day I got a game, but right now it doesn't look like I'll be getting this game when everyone else is. I'm sure someone can whip something up quickly.

speedpop

mattiewheels said:
A lot of my own JP imports are done just via memorization of the menu system. A little knowledge in hiragana and katakana helps though.

justchris

mclem said:
It sort-of worked for Namco X Capcom, at least...

Well, all except for the part where it wasn't developed by Intelligent Systems. I have far greater faith in them insofar as strategy games are concerned.

Okay, I watched this video of DQ IX and I think it will sell 50000000000000 (keep zeroing) million copies in Japan.

As much as I would enjoy and love to play it, I can't help but wish this was a console DQ ie DQ VIII.. VIII was astonishing, IX looks to be good, but I feel meh despite my love and adoration.

Loto

EPIC!

This looks so good. Character customization, multiplayer, dlc, on the DS. I can't say enough about this game.

I hope this gets a speedy translation, might cave and import though.

Aeana

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1224984_1124.html?ref=rss

A look at character customization for female characters, for the first time, and how fashion will be an important thing to consider. It seems like the style stat is much more important in DQ9 than it ever was in 6 or 7 -- even in battle.

There's also a preview of some of the quests in the game... but I won't say much about those, since people might consider them spoilery.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1224984_1124.html?ref=rss

A look at character customization for female characters, for the first time, and how fashion will be an important thing to consider. It seems like the style stat is much more important in DQ9 than it ever was in 6 or 7 -- even in battle.

There's also a preview of some of the quests in the game... but I won't say much about those, since people might consider them spoilery.

You could spoiler mark them. Just saying.

Just spoil me, Aeana; you know you want to!

Yottamole

Banned
Isn't there a cellphone application that allows some sort of connectivity to DQ9? I think it's called something like "Starry Sky Union."

Rpgmonkey

Is it just me, or can I click Famitsu links from gaf without it being a hassle now?

Notorious_Roy said:
Well, I do. I love the updates you're giving and one or two quest descriptions would be great!

Just to summarize and not go into a lot of detail, there's a quest with a woman that's related to your style stat, one you can take from a cat, another you can get from reading a book on a bookshelf, and another quest regarding some fairies in a dream that you can accept when you have a magician over level 15 and sleep at a certain inn.

Aeana

http://vjumpbooks.com/staffblog/

20090618_02.jpg

The new issue of VJump has a huge DQ9 feature, including a giant Q&A session with Horii, Toriyama and Sugiyama. Scans have started showing up, but after seeing the world map, I decided I'm not ready to see this stuff... so I won't be offering translations of this stuff, unfortunately. It should be interesting to read after playing the game, though.

Aeana, is that a countdown to the release daate of DQIX I see on your avatar? Neat :D

I'm at least interested in the Q/A section of that Jump issue. I think that last 7 minute trailer is about enough for my exposure to DQIX media. I'm now ready to just import the game.

Aeana

Something weird was brought to my attention. It looks like in order to unlock the advanced classes, you might have to do certain quests first. An example in this article is for unlocking battlemaster. The quest is:
kill 5 slimes with dragon slash at super high tension
, which is just so silly. But seeing as battlemaster is warrior+martial artist (I think), it's not completely crazy, I guess... I guess we'll see how it is.

Magicpaint said:
Aeana, is that a countdown to the release daate of DQIX I see on your avatar? Neat :D

I'm at least interested in the Q/A section of that Jump issue. I think that last 7 minute trailer is about enough for my exposure to DQIX media. I'm now ready to just import the game.
Yeah, it's dumb, but I felt like being dumb. :)

Hobbun

Aeana said:
http://vjumpbooks.com/staffblog/

20090618_02.jpg

The new issue of VJump has a huge DQ9 feature, including a giant Q&A session with Horii, Toriyama and Sugiyama. Scans have started showing up, but after seeing the world map, I decided I'm not ready to see this stuff... so I won't be offering translations of this stuff, unfortunately. It should be interesting to read after playing the game, though.

That's awesome. Thanks Aeana. :) That's ok about not translating, though, I don't think I would want to read it anyways to ruin anything.

Question though, you said you have seen the world map, does it seem big? Any idea on the scale (in size) of the game? Comparable to VIII? Or smaller?

Top Bottom