• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 information/news thread

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
Who would you rather develop it?

What he means is, the developer is listed as "Level-5/Square Enix" specifically in the trailer. For DQ8, they just listed Level-5 by themselves under development in all of the trailers.

EDIT: For that matter, Enix was never credited as a developer on any other DQ game, either.

Johnas

2DMention said:
I have to admit the graphics look kind of ugly to me and are a small buzzkill. I'm too used to the excellent DQ8 graphics on the PS2.

The hybrid class system from 3 and 8 has me quite excited, though! I bet this'll come out around Nov. '09 in the U.S.

Agreed. I'm happy they went with the same style, but it looks a little chunky in stills. I'm sure it'll look great in motion though.

I'm also wondering how long the single-player will last first time through, if it'll be more condensed than VIII. 30-40 hours would be great imo. I can't see it lasting as long as VII or VIII, given it's debuting on a portable platform.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
2DMention said:
Copy, paste, done, Or error, refresh, done.

I can't read a bit of it but it looks nice, very nice, will the UK even see it 2009 though? :(

Ogni-XR21

I really can't wait for this game, awesome thread btw.

When I saw a teaser a while back there were a lot of cg-cut-scenes but these seem to be impossible with all the customization going on... was probably just rendered for the teaser, or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

matmanx1

Really looking forward to this one. The DS has really become a JRPG powerhouse and DQ9 might very well be the crown jewel. Thanks for the thread.

Haeleos

zoku88 said:
how do ppl still not know how to open famitsu links?

w7k9is.jpg

Rpgmonkey

So much equipment to get now. Hopefully prices are fair.

Nice amount of depth on the character creation. Though I'd never touch some of the choices. :lol

MoogPaul

Can classes be changed mid game and mix and match abilities from all learned classes a la FF:Tactics or is it more like FF1 where you pick your classes in the beginning and that's the way it is? I'm okay with either, just curious.

Aeana

cw_sasuke said:
Any new information ?

No, it's the same stuff I posted in the first post; there's just images to go with it now.

MoogPaul said:
Can classes be changed mid game and mix and match abilities from all learned classes a la FF:Tactics or is it more like FF1 where you pick your classes in the beginning and that's the way it is? I'm okay with either, just curious.

Yes, you can change your class and keep the abilities you've learned.

EDIT: First post edited with some of the screenshots.

NeonZ

I have never bought a portable system (though I used to play a friend's GBA), but I might end up buying one just for this game if it's released in the USA... These new details about the character creation system have convinced me to get it...

Aeana

Teknoman said:
This is going to be great, but I hope martial artists get some nice looking skills and not just decent stats.

I imagine that, besides psyche up, they'll also get most of the barehanded skills from DQ8, including thin air (which is amazing).

NeonZ said:
I have never bought a portable system (though I used to play a friend's GBA), but I might end up buying one just for this game if it's released in the USA... These new details about the character creation system have convinced me to get it...

DQIX is coming.

ivysaur12

Banned
I know it really doesn't matter all that much and probably saves a ton of space, but the NPCs as 2D sprites is kind of off-putting, especially since there were pictures of towns beforehand where they were in 3D.

Kagari said:
Nice.
Can't say the same thing for most of the other stuff on there.
:lol Well I'm sure they're going to update this page up to the days before Jump Festa 09. Remember the TGS 09 page said some games were not going to be playable at TGS and later updated that they were and also updated on same games we didn't know were going to appear there.

Aeana

Good to see confirmation about it being playable. It was said previously that it would be, but now it's confirmed. I expect people to play it and report here! Looking at you, John TV. :eek:

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jump Scans are online. wow many new informations....Aena ? duckroll ?
Just read something about finding gestures throughout the Game, multiplayer stuff and so on. sounds awesome...HHGotY 09 ? Yes :D

EDIT:

Damn just found a translation - this sounds so awesome - though can`t post the link since the scans are also postetd there :-/

Oh man, that little martial artist dude looks awesome. I hope I don't have to wait until next Christmas to play it in English, but I think a summer release might be too early to ask for.

cw_sasuke

New Infos from the Jump Scan ....

New Class: Traveling Performer
- balanced defense and offense
- acrobatic skill
- increase this skill to learn special techniques (for example, make an enemy laugh
- some equipment of the Traveling Performer: Serpent Whip, Feathered Cap, Dancer’s Shirt, Gaudy Pants, Acrobat Shoes

Possible new class: Bodybuilder

New Monsters: Zucchinya and Tiger Lance
New Monsters: Zucchinya and Tiger Lance
New Monsters: Moomon, Ponpoko Tanuki and Argon Devil
- Zucchinya: vegetable monster that is good with a spear
- Tiger Lance: uses a lance, and can cast spells such as Rukani
- Moomon: skin like a cow
- Ponpoko Tanuki: known as a “dance hero”, uses dance steps to ‘attack’
- Argon Devil: very fast, slender body allows it to attack quickly. Sharp claws

New NPC: Winged angel Laviel

- works in Luida’s bar
- allows you to connect to multiplayer features
- one player hosts, others play as guests
- 4 characters allowed
- some treasure chests can only be opened by the host

Multiplayer battles
- if you fight separately, you can call for guests to help
- guests will be transported to host if host calls for help
- guest can decline
- if you run up to characters in battle, you can help them
- multiplayer detailed records kept
- record examples”
1. Class, Name
2. Time played
3. ‘information couldn’t be translated’
4. Number of battles won.
5. Number of titles received
6. Number of quests cleared
7. Percentage of monsters faced and defeated
8. Percentage of items acquired
9. Percentage of recipes
- use gestures with frineds
- gestures are hidden throughout the game world

go-nintendo

M3d10n

And people said DQ was moving backwards by not going HD (or even PS2/Wii), when this one might end up being one of the most innovative entries in the series of late.

Grandia-style visible enemies will be so much fun. I just hope the visible characters don't slow down the battles as much as DQ8.

JayDubya

Banned
Well, one shame in all this is it seems a step back in terms of storytelling; when all the characters are made by you, there's none of that fun interaction and characterization.

On the other hand, Icewind Dale, Wizardry, Might & Magic, Etrian Odyssey, Dragon Quest III, etc. Not like I haven't enjoyed this sort of thing before.

Is the main character a Hero, as per usual, or do you pick a class for him, too? Hero tends to be a jack of all trades, hell, a master of all trades, which is why I'm asking.

Llyranor

What happens when there's only one player? 3 NPCs? Can you control those? What if there's only two players? Can each control 2 characters (even if one of each is premade)?

cw_sasuke

xfactor said:
is there confirmation for a US release?

I could even see Nintendo publishing the Game in the west, after Iwatas latest comments. Worked for Layton/Level 5.

MotherFan

This game is going to be pure sex. If it has an advertising push, like Iwata said, imagine the hype train. I can't wait!

MoogPaul

abstract alien said:
Thanks Aeana, great work.

Im pretty pumped for this game, cant wait to pay 39.99 :lol

Saddly, might even be higher if the JPN price gets translated to American dollars.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
wow, i thought for sure that angel girl would be part of the story.

this game really doesn't seem to have any story at all... pretty disappointing imo.

Yeah, I'm disappointed that yet another promising looking character is just a multiplayer and/or gameplay component. :/

I'm starting to worry a bit about the scenario now. Hopefully we start to see some more story centric NPCs in the game soon.

cw_sasuke

MoogPaul said:
Saddly, might even be higher if the JPN price gets translated to American dollars.
It won`t cost more than 39USD, SE can`t afford a higher price tag in the west even if it`s DraQue 9....

Flakster99

abstract alien said:
Thanks Aeana, great work.

Im pretty pumped for this game, cant wait to pay 39.99 :lol

Yup, nice work Aeana and company. This may be my first import in quite a long time, we'll see. :)

Top Bottom