• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 information/news thread

Aeana

All right, I broke down and read a few things... I really shouldn't have. :( But here's some of the interesting things I saw from the interview, spoilered for your consideration. Most of them aren't really spoilery, but the very last one is one I would consider to be.

• DQ9 was conceived as an evolution of DQ3.
  • The theme of the game is 'independence.'
  • Considering the nature of the content, it wouldn't be far-fetched for one to spend 100 or even 200 hours on the game.
  • There are lots of different quests, including some that continue in a line with a steady story.
  • You get a damage bonus (combos) for attacking the same enemy consecutively.
  • The new dexterity stat affects the chances to run away, and to get a critical hit.
  • Items received from breaking pots or barrels might be replenished after some time passes.
  • Some of the downloadable quests that will be released after the game is out are supposedly going to be like side-stories involving main story characters.
  • Treasure map bosses are very strong and challenging.
  • Treasure map dungeon layouts and treasure are randomized to a degree, so each user will have a different experience.
  • When you die in multiplayer, you're given the opportunity wait for help or revive at the church.
  • You can exchange items during multiplayer.
  • The 'medal king' in this game is a former king who wants to be a pirate, Captain Medal.

Aeana said:
All right, I broke down and read a few things... I really shouldn't have. :( But here's some of the interesting things I saw from the interview, spoilered for your consideration. Most of them aren't really spoilery, but the very last one is one I would consider to be.

• Considering the nature of the content, it wouldn't be far-fetched for one to spend 100 or even 200 hours on the game.
  • There are lots of different quests, including some that continue in a line with a steady story.
  • The new dexterity stat affects the chances to run away, and to get a critical hit.
  • Items received from breaking pots or barrels might be replenished after some time passes.
  • Some of the downloadable quests that will be released after the game is out are supposedly going to be like side-stories involving main story characters.
  • Treasure map dungeon layouts and treasure are randomized to a degree, so each user will have a different experience.
  • When you die in multiplayer, you're given the opportunity wait for help or revive at the church.
  • The 'medal king' in this game is a former king who wants to be a pirate, Captain Medal.

Ohhhh, this is so going to make the wait much harder. Aeana, what do you make of the quest having their own story lines? Something like how 7 had a independent story for each Island? Or, something less drastic and more interweaved?

Aeana said:

Damn you Aeana i couldn't resist :(

Rpgmonkey

Hobbun said:
Question though, you said you have seen the world map, does it seem big? Any idea on the scale (in size) of the game? Comparable to VIII? Or smaller?

It seems like a good size to me. Just comparing the maps, the continents in IX seem a tad smaller, but there's plenty of little islands on the map, and there seems to be a good variety in the climates/geography of the world.

There weren't really any towns or dungeons marked (that I found, anyway), so there wasn't anything to compare when it came to the number of places to visit on the map.

GaussTek said:
Thanks for the info.

But exactly, what the first point is supposed to mean?

The class system and how you can manipulate a character's abilities by changing jobs and stuff.

Aeana

11sfhv7.jpg

SMAP's DQ9 TV ad in HD omg.

Aeana

Hmmmmmmm. Apparently,
they added rows to the game, and you can select front row and back row in the tactics screen.
I can't verify this, since I was dumb and didn't save the scans I was reading from... and now the links are dead. But that's interesting if true.

Aeana

TheKingsCrown said:
Trying to maximize sales by stopping people from passing it around?
It sounds like the game just has a lot of data to save. Similar to Etrian Odyssey, I guess.

EDIT: Also could be due to multiplayer.

antispin

Aeana said:
And now for some bad news: apparently, the game only has one save slot.
That's terrible news for someone like me who likes having a backup at all times -- to experiment and play around with. I'm paranoid like that.

Aeana

Dragona Akehi said:
I think I'm the only person on the board that only ever uses one save slot.
It means you can't share the cart, though. :\

I'll have to buy two since my fiance is expressing interest in the game, as well.

Aeana said:
It means you can't share the cart, though. :\

I'll have to buy two since my fiance is expressing interest in the game, as well.

Well I won't be sharing DQIX anyway, so it isn't a huge issue for me. It does suck for those who do though... Although two copies of DQIX English are better than one. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Annoying, but I can just backup my save to my PC if I want to restart, or leave behind a breadcrumb trail of cool, saved scenes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sooo super pumped for this game.

My wallet. T_T

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Besides cart sharing, multiple slots are also useful for corrupted saves. Due to bad memories I always use at least two slots when I save in RPGs.

That wallpaper is rad. Very busy but it's cool to have that artwork in high res.

Aeana

Got some confirmation on a few more things from the VJump Q&A session:

As I said earlier, you can now put characters in the front or back row like Final Fantasy. It works pretty much exactly like you'd expect.

The hero gets a command called 'cheer' that can raise party members' tension. This is probably not as overpowered as it sounds, as individual characters no longer get the psyche up command like in 8... it's a class skill (I think martial artist).

There's a command called 'deathblow' that all characters get. The requirements for the command becoming available are still unclear to me, but the effects of it differ depending on the character's job. Also, if multiple characters use it in the same round, it becomes even more powerful.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i only ever use two save slots at a time, one main save and one for experimenting. is this because there's no more room on the cart? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
Got some confirmation on a few more things from the VJump Q&A session:

As I said earlier, you can now put characters in the front or back row like Final Fantasy. It works pretty much exactly like you'd expect.

The hero gets a command called 'cheer' that can raise party members' tension. This is probably not as overpowered as it sounds, as individual characters no longer get the psyche up command like in 8... it's a class skill (I think martial artist).

There's a command called 'deathblow' that all characters get. The requirements for the command becoming available are still unclear to me, but the effects of it differ depending on the character's job. Also, if multiple characters use it in the same round, it becomes even more powerful.

Sounds fantastic. Looks like they're really pushing the idea that YOU are the hero.

Btw, has it been all but confirmed that wifi is a no go?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wanted to make that my default wallpaper but it was too distracting so I settled on one from DQ8 instead...

djtiesto said:
Wanted to make that my default wallpaper but it was too distracting so I settled on one from DQ8 instead...

You have really great taste in games my friend, stemming from your comments on Tengai Makyou.:D

On another note, judging by the vids it looks like the alchemy pot is instantaneous.

thetrin

Rpgmonkey said:
No wifi besides stuff like downloading new quests.

i'm dreaming of that day in the far flung future when Japan figures out wifi is awesome.

zoku88

Dragona Akehi said:
I pretty much do this too. The only time I make a 2nd save slot is if its a game where there's a point of no return.

All dragon quests I use one slot, I've only ever used more then one for a final fantasy, and that was only to see a certain CG again.....

Teknoman

Dragona Akehi said:

I thought that was normal? The only time my second/third/etc. slots get used are when other people play the game after I have.

Aeana

It seems like the one save slot thing may be wrong (I really hope it is). I found the page where people were getting that info, and it's kind of a stretch to say for sure from that that there's only one save slot. I guess we'll see in 19 days. :eek:

Aeana

cartman414 said:
So will there be no intermediate/advanced classes in this game? I was kind of looking forward to that.
Yes, there are. The base classes are soldier, mage, priest, martial artist, thief, and traveling performer. The advanced classes shown so far are battlemage, paladin, battlemaster, ranger. There are also two 'unknown' classes... one of which is very likely to be sage, as there's a small image of the characters and the armor pretty much gives it away.

Hobbun

Aeana said:
And now for some bad news: apparently, the game only has one save slot.

I usually only use one save slot. However, I like to do multiple saves if I know the game is glitchy (which shouldn't be an issue here) or I am doing that save in the middle of the dungeon and can't return to build up when I find out I can't beat the boss. But DQ games don't implement that as you always save back at the church, so one slot shouldn't be a factor for me.

Hobbun

Rpgmonkey said:
It seems like a good size to me. Just comparing the maps, the continents in IX seem a tad smaller, but there's plenty of little islands on the map, and there seems to be a good variety in the climates/geography of the world.

There weren't really any towns or dungeons marked (that I found, anyway), so there wasn't anything to compare when it came to the number of places to visit on the map.

Thank you.

I hope there ends up being lot of different towns and locations to visit.

Aeana said:
Yes, there are. The base classes are soldier, mage, priest, martial artist, thief, and traveling performer. The advanced classes shown so far are battlemage, paladin, battlemaster, ranger. There are also two 'unknown' classes... one of which is very likely to be sage, as there's a small image of the characters and the armor pretty much gives it away.

In other words, the usual suspects. Works for me.

Though I would have liked a couple of "super classes" (which is what I actually meant by advanced) a la DQ7, except without any of that game's excess. (5 basic + 2 advanced classes for Summoner, including Goof-off? Too much work.)

Top Bottom