• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

My wife gifted me this game as a father's day present. Been playing it at a leisurely pace and loving every single minute of it. It's practically my first experience with a DQ game, since the only other game of the franchise I played was the original Dragon Warrior.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
The polygons and character sprite mixing is still annoying (feels strangely cheap and jarring running around as fully 3D hero with townspeople looking like cardboard cutouts) but other than that, I'd have this is definitely still in my top three DQs along with DQ8 and DQ5.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Just recreated my family from DQV for my new run. I feel kind of stupid for not doing this before the first time around.

Reuniting feels nice. Although I gave the kids brown hair like me this time around. Don't want the family band looking like me and three smurfs.

(I choose Nera in DQV)

Oxx

Hmm, Orbs Week on DQVC. Sort of want...

Orbs are probably the thing I need the most, but I'll still have to grind a lot of Gem Slimes to buy them at 50k a piece.

watershed

Banned
I'm so close to beating this game but OoT3D side tracked me. What level were people when they finished the game's story? I wonder if I should grind some more for abilities and stat boosts.

Picked this up when best buy had the sale for 7.00. Finally getting into it more then just 10 minutes here and there. One question... I have beaten
the ragin contagion
but I can't seem to find the dlc shop in questers rest. Is there something specific I need to do to unlock it?

Edit: Nevermind she was in the Questers Rest when I
got back from the observatory

Caerith

And now, the final quest of Dragon Quest IX is available off DQVC.

I can honestly say that when I got this on day one that I did not expect to still be playing it over a year later.

(... and the final quest is cute and has a cute quest summary when you clear it.)

zigg

Caerith said:
And now, the final quest of Dragon Quest IX is available off DQVC.

Crap; I'm waaaay behind.

This was available for $7? Damn, I should have got my daughter a copy :-(

stolin

Finally did it ! 100%. Fantastic game.

For the last few months I've only really been playing about an hour every Friday for the new quest. Now bring on Dragon Quest X !

IMG_1183_800.jpg

IMG_1186_800.jpg

Oxx

Congratulations Stolin.

I've barely played the game since I last posted pics of my stats in this thread.

I'll probably just make do with 100% monster completion at this point.

stolin

Oxx said:
Congratulations Stolin.

I've barely played the game since I last posted pics of my stats in this thread.

I'll probably just make do with 100% monster completion at this point.

Thanks Oxx. I'm pretty proud of this one. I believe it's my most played game ever, White Knight Chronicles & Demon's Souls come kinda close... and maybe Civilization if I combine all the versions.

It's too bad no one else around me was playing DQIX. Since I didn't play any multiplayer and couldn't trade any maps. This was a complete solo effort. Even my "Guests Canvassed" stat was on a second cartridge locally playing the beginning of that second game 30 times...

I think if you were to have other players to tag & trade maps with you could cut off 100-300 hours by combining your efforts for accumulating highest level grottoes. I know if I were to replay and "boost" another game with all my maps it would be a breeze. :)

jrronimo

Holy cow that's a heck of an effort. Congratulations!

I'm not sure if this has already been answered, so forgive me if I'm repeating, but did one have to log in every week, or can I log in now and catch up on all of the DLC Quests?

Wow, that's a lot of dedication. I'd still be playing this game if only getting good grottoes and going through quests didn't require a lot of grinding and revocations to get the top stuff. I don't have the patience to wait for metal slimes to appear and grind for hours upon hours so I just stopped playing :/ I still got 60 hours worth but still. I hope DQ X doesn't do something like that.

jrronimo said:
Holy cow that's a heck of an effort. Congratulations!

I'm not sure if this has already been answered, so forgive me if I'm repeating, but did one have to log in every week, or can I log in now and catch up on all of the DLC Quests?

You can just log in now and all the DLC quests you don't have will be added.

stolin

8BitsAtATime said:
Stolin are you god? See this makes me want to jump back into play DQ9

Nope. Just really like classic J-RPGs, especially Dragon Quest games.. and a few very long road trips for playing. :)

Jumping back in now would be great since all the quests up to 184 are now available. Lots of stuff to do !

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Curently doing runthoughs of this, DWVII and DQMJ and DQ8 again.

Goddamn
, I love these games. They keep things simple but never too easy.

Wow, Stolin... mad respect. I kinda stopped playing after a while although I had an idea of what team I was going for, but I have forgot about it all by now. Even the story is foggy. What team did you use?

stolin

Melhisedek said:
Wow, Stolin... mad respect. I kinda stopped playing after a while although I had an idea of what team I was going for, but I have forgot about it all by now. Even the story is foggy. What team did you use?

I only used 4 characters (Steve, Greg, Zoe, Freda), but they all used all the classes and mastering most of them and each revocating most classes. For the most part of the post-game I was 3x Gladiators + 1x Priest. At the end they were mostly all decked out in Legendary ***** gear.

I barely took any breaks from playing. Basically each week in the post game I played a 4-6 hour session a couple times a week. A big bulk of the initial playing was on long road trips.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Out of curiosity, did most of you all grind the Legacy Bosses up to high levels or just Hoimi them? I only really started fighting them recently, and they're not particularly difficult yet, but I could imagine them getting to be so if I keep leveling them. I am aware that they have better drop rates at higher levels. I don't use much strategy other than all out melee with healing if required.

stolin

DarthWoo said:
Out of curiosity, did most of you all grind the Legacy Bosses up to high levels or just Hoimi them? I only really started fighting them recently, and they're not particularly difficult yet, but I could imagine them getting to be so if I keep leveling them. I am aware that they have better drop rates at higher levels. I don't use much strategy other than all out melee with healing if required.

Early on I did the Legacy Bosses in bracketed phases mostly to ensure I got the second drop for the item. Turns out most of those drops were on DCVC later anyway... As for Orbs, I just raised all the second tier Bosses to level 50-60 to get the 12%-14% drop for the colored Orbs. At those levels I can kill them in <=5 turns so it's still really fast. Just use their weakness Fource with Armamenentalist Manual.

Baramos is the only one I went higher to Level 85. Maybe on day I'll get him to Level 99 for that Accolade.

Oxx

I've finally (almost) finished-off the quests. The penultimate one with the poison knife sounded quite annoying, so I skipped it for now.

But at least I now have 100% for the monsters after defeating Nockturnus.

Oxx

Roto13 said:
None of these quests are interesting enough to make me want to stick with the post game.

The 25 'Story' quests are okay, but there isn't much there unless you're focussed on collecting everything.

stolin

Roto13 said:
None of these quests are interesting enough to make me want to stick with the post game.

IMO, the extra quests are are like guides to help you discover everything in the game. Get you up through the high-level grottoes of all types, get you to fight all the monsters & bosses. Get you the ingredient for all the alchemy. Getting your first Chronocrystal & Agate of Evolution bumps you to the next group of alchemy. They worked with the themed weekly DCVC updates too.

I don't think there were suppose to be 1:1 comparable to traditional Quests from other games, but I guess it's how you approach them.

Oxx

Because I'm not really in the mood to tackle quest 183 any time soon, this may count as my 'Final Completion' screen:

e28f12c4.jpg

stolin

Oxx said:
Because I'm not really in the mood to tackle quest 183 any time soon, this may count as my 'Final Completion' screen:

Good work Oxx. Quest 183 isn't that difficult.. don't walk away from it. If you have 4x Poison Needles this is how I did it. Equip your standard gear and just use your strong main & weaker Priest or Thief to do about 1000 damage to a Master Moosifer. This only took me a few tries to not kill it.

Then change your equipment in battle to all Poison Needles then just have everyone fight. Each hit is 1hp and will kill him in about 40-50 hits about 10 rounds for me.

If you keep going post here but that last 5% for Wardrobe & Items is a lot of work in Grottoes.

Okay everyone, I finally decided to pick up Dragon Quest IX, making it my first DQ purchase ever. I've stayed away from the series because I hate Toriyama's art style, but with little to play this summer (I've caught up on a bunch of other stuff) I figured I'd give this a shot.

I'm very early in the game, so I can't say much, but it's decent so far. I'm not sure whether to level up swords or fans or whips or whatever, as I have no idea how useful one will be over another of if there's a bad path or not.

Honestly, I have pretty much no idea about anything Dragon Quest. If anybody wants to give me some helpful tips or pointers for a newcomer to this game and series itself, I'd love to hear them.

stolin

timetokill said:
Okay everyone, I finally decided to pick up Dragon Quest IX, making it my first DQ purchase ever. Honestly, I have pretty much no idea about anything Dragon Quest. If anybody wants to give me some helpful tips or pointers for a newcomer to this game and series itself, I'd love to hear them.

First of all don't let the size & scope to 100% scare you away. Just play the main story for the fun of it and get to know the characters, game world, items, etc.. most of the style & names carry across the games so they become familiar.

Don't worry about which weapon & skills to work on, just go with what is comfortable for your play style. You won't need to master anything for the story. Just setup a balanced party.

Have fun !

Loto

timetokill said:
Okay everyone, I finally decided to pick up Dragon Quest IX, making it my first DQ purchase ever. I've stayed away from the series because I hate Toriyama's art style, but with little to play this summer (I've caught up on a bunch of other stuff) I figured I'd give this a shot.

I'm very early in the game, so I can't say much, but it's decent so far. I'm not sure whether to level up swords or fans or whips or whatever, as I have no idea how useful one will be over another of if there's a bad path or not.

Honestly, I have pretty much no idea about anything Dragon Quest. If anybody wants to give me some helpful tips or pointers for a newcomer to this game and series itself, I'd love to hear them.
I had no problem spreading points across different weapons. You get to see all of the abilities so you can plan ahead. The main story isn't difficult so you won't have any trouble. My best advice is have fun, I really like the pacing in Dragon Quest games. It always feels like I finish them too fast.

If you get stuck, feel free to ask for help.

Oxx

stolin said:
Good work Oxx. Quest 183 isn't that difficult.. don't walk away from it. If you have 4x Poison Needles this is how I did it. Equip your standard gear and just use your strong main & weaker Priest or Thief to do about 1000 damage to a Master Moosifer. This only took me a few tries to not kill it.

I think I'm just a bit bummed that I spent a few minutes killing regular Moosifers before realising that I was supposed to be hunting their bigger cousins.

Roto13

I like how these game completion screenshots have hundreds and hundreds of hours in single player and no time at all in multiplayer. :p

watershed

Banned
Roto13 said:
I like how these game completion screenshots have hundreds and hundreds of hours in single player and no time at all in multiplayer. :p
online play was really needed to make multiplayer work. It has such promise and is so fully featured but local only really holds it back.

Oxx

So, DQVC has looped back around to Week 1 stuff. I hope someone was keeping notes of when the exciting weeks were. Wake me up when the Rare Weapon Fayre comes around again.

Congrats stolin. Pretty awesome accomplishment.

I only picked the game up recently, and have spent a good 50 hours into it. Which is surprising considering I usually dislike handheld gaming. But the breadth of content and stuff to do and see in this game is on equal footing with the best console efforts.

Roto13

artwalknoon said:
online play was really needed to make multiplayer work. It has such promise and is so fully featured but local only really holds it back.
This is a problem too many Japan-developed handheld games have.

Oxx

I've only ever seen one other person playing DQ9 in the flesh and I wasn't about to go up to a stranger on a train and ask for a multiplayer session.

Goldmund

Oxx said:
I've only ever seen one other person playing DQ9 in the flesh and I wasn't about to go up to a stranger on a train and ask for a multiplayer session.
It could have been the friendship of your life.

zigg

I hate to be that guy, but I made two friends playing DQIX locally--we've put in a lot of time together.

If it hadn't been local-only and Nintendo hadn't done those events, I may never have met these friends.

Johnas

Oxx said:
So, DQVC has looped back around to Week 1 stuff. I hope someone was keeping notes of when the exciting weeks were. Wake me up when the Rare Weapon Fayre comes around again.

Weird, I was wondering what they'd do when the full year was up. I wonder if they'll cycle all the way through again or just putz out at some point.

Loto

zigg said:
I hate to be that guy, but I made two friends playing DQIX locally--we've put in a lot of time together.

If it hadn't been local-only and Nintendo hadn't done those events, I may never have met these friends.
Multiplayer is so much fun. It's pretty free roaming too! I think the only thing you can't do is call your airship

Top Bottom