• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders screenshots

Takao

Banned
vrp2Pfc.jpg

7f807my.jpg

jVW9LRQ.jpg

suvaUgl.jpg

Sure looks like Minecraft in here.

Release on the PlayStation trio. Screenshots are from the PS4 build.

Cmagus

Getting pretty excited now. I wonder what the "camp" under the HP bar means.

I wonder if it has something to do with your home base and maybe some sort of upgrade system? I wonder if you can designate an area you build and set it as your main camp.

I'm glad that some survival elements seem to be present, however small.

I always enjoyed the first couple of days in Minecraft because of them.

Cmagus

Potentially could mean the level of your 'camp'/civilisation/etc.

It would be really cool if they have time of day and the enemies become more aggressive at night and if they have some sort of defend your camp type scenario.I'm really curious to see how the crafting works out because it looks like the combat is gonna be great and certainly the type of upgrade I'd like to see on the Minecraft formula.

Hm, i think that there is someting missing about how it's looking. Too "plastic". They should try and add some cel-shading on it, would support the comic/manga-look from Toriyama.

It literally is Minecraft with DQ slapped on top.

Here's what I can gather from those shots.

- You can mine stuff, but you need a mallet with a degradation meter to do so
- Enemies are thankfully not just a block...thing.
- The mushroom guys possibly could be deconstructing your shit, so maybe there's a tower defense element?
- Your camp has different levels. Wonder what that entails?
- I see plants and tomatoes in the inventory boxes. Farming confirmed?
- Here's a huge difference from other DH games or other MC games - you can't fight very well. From those spikes and traps in the boxes, it looks like you'll probably rely on setups to take down monsters.
- You can level up your guy. HP is different between two of the shots.

So while it has elements of MC big time, it has enough differences to set itself apart. I'm very curious to see how the crafting, building, and tower defense like systems will play out.

Which is more scary digging a hole at night to keep yourself safe from creepers or digging a hole at night to keep yourself protected from golems.

Hikami

Looks like Minecraft with a texture pack and some better shading.. I like it.

Not a DQ fan but I'd buy this.

Xater

I don't think these screenshots are new, because I have seen them before.

Anyway, I am still really into this idea. Sqaureenix better bring this shit over.

bumpkin

Well at least the characters and enemies don't look like blocky pieces of shit.

...yeah, I'm firmly in the "I don't like Minecraft, I don't get it, sick of hearing about it" camp. My niece and youngest nephew are like obsessed with it. I don't think they understand what they're doing -- she's 3 and he's 5 -- when they play it, I suspect they just like smashing shit.

Top Bottom