• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

Kinda disappointing tbh, I actually wanted that rumor about being near XBO levels to be true. Guess there's going to be no significant graphical improvement this gen like the transition from GC to Wii.

The jump is very big, from 3DS to Switch is a really big jump. Only the people who see this as a console is going to get dissapointed.

This is perfectly logical. Not sure why anyone would expect any different.

You're either:
1) Buying a Nintendo game you can play nowhere else or;
2) Deciding portability is more important than fidelity.

pswii60

The fact that it's portable still outweighs the minuscule downgrade for me, and that will pretty much go for most games. As someone who goes to work everyday and usually brings their 3DS, the Switch is perfect, and small downgrades like particle effects don't make a huge difference.
That's fine - you don't want a home console, you want a portable. And Switch delivers there. But some of us are buying it as a home console.

I just don't see many instances where I'll be choosing to get my multiplats on the Switch. :/
For PS4/Vita players, there were a number of instances where it made sense for some people to choose Vita because they favored portability. In that regard, there's value in what Switch offers.

Hell, look at the DQH2 localization announcement, some people were genuinely disappointed by the lack of a Vita localization. I was one of them but it was because that meant I couldn't couch coop the game through crossplay. Switch isn't fixing that, obviously.

Rncewind

The jump is very big, from 3DS to Switch is a really big jump. Only the people who see this as a console is going to get dissapointed.

well i dont know how people "see it" but my wallet says nintendo wants 330 € from me with 60-70€ for games

so my wallet see it as a console, and my wallet is always right!

crinale

so why is nintendo advertising this as a home system then?

So they can justify selling games and the very machine in the price range of home consoles I guess.
To be fair though, it should take quite a bit more to make Switch game than 3DS game, so I can understand that.

dracula_x

I don't know what you were expecting? It's the same frame rate as the PS3 version of this game, which checks out with what we've heard of the Switch specs.

PS3 is 11 years old console

Well of course, that's kinda stupid to expect PS4 power on an handheld.
But I'm more curious about Vita/PS3 comparison.

here's a Vita version → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0KUT9_obEA

So they can justify selling games and the very machine in the price range of home consoles I guess.
To be fair though, it should take quite a bit more to make Switch game than 3DS game, so I can understand that.

pretty much. $40 vs $60

Kyrios

fake_surprise.gif

Never expected that!

Why Nintendo is creating a separate app for voice chat?

The answer is the same in every stupid thing Nintendo does.

Because Nintendo.

No its because they know a home system that is portable is a far more attractive point than a handheld with TV out.

They think they are clever with the advertising angle but its only going to worsen the perception in light of the competition.

Jawmuncher

I don't see myself getting any multiplatform games on switch. Aside from stuff like puyo tetris and other fare that won't be affected my lower specs.

If we are just comparing flops to flops, which is weird of course, the supposed clock speeds while docked are over double that of the handheld mode.

Was looking at Digital Foundry analysis to try to gauge power. MK8 runs 720/60 out of the dock, 1080/60 in. 2x resolution bump. LoZ is 720/30 out, 900/30 in. Splatoon 2 is 720/60 out...and 720/60 in? Hopefully they'll give it a bump for launch.

rpmurphy

Some of the reactions here sound as if it was ported from NES to Game Boy or it's a broken unplayable mess. lol

I'm pretty glad the Switch has gotten us to the point where the things worth discussing are HD resolutions, minor geometry differences, 60 vs 30 fps, and graphical effects. Like man, this is some small stuff to me for a handheld.

crinale

Any comparison pics with PS3? Wonder if they ported that version instead of PS4 version.

As far as I remember the PS3 version's blue portal looks exactly like Switch version (lacks effects and such). The window being octagon instead of circle, that I don't remember..

Edit: See Ultros' post.

pswii60

Was looking at Digital Foundry analysis to try to gauge power. MK8 runs 720/60 out of the dock, 1080/60 in. 2x resolution bump. LoZ is 720/30 out, 900/30 in. Splatoon 2 is 720/60 out...and 720/60 in? Hopefully they'll give it a bump for launch.
How do you know it can't run higher than 720p undocked in terms of power capability? The screen is 720p so it doesn't tell us the true extent of the actual power gap between docked and undocked, if that makes sense. Perhaps MK8 could actually run at 900p undocked if the screen was higher res. It already ran at 720p/60fps on Wii U.

A comparison to the PS3 and Vita versions would make for a more interesting thread. The PS4 version is far ahead regarding both visuals and performance, but that's to be expected.

As someone that's gonna be using Switch as a console, I'm obviously disappointed but I guess I should start getting used to it.

D i Z

Some of the reactions here sound as if it was ported from NES to Game Boy or it's a broken unplayable mess. lol

I'm pretty glad the Switch has gotten us to the point where the things worth discussing are HD resolutions, minor geometry differences, 60 vs 30 fps, and graphical effects. Like man, this is some small stuff to me for a handheld.

Dang. This really is going to be the official defense for all of this, isn't it?

How do you know it can't run higher than 720p undocked? The screen is 720p so it doesn't tell us the true extent of the actual power gap between docked and undocked, if that makes sense. Perhaps MK8 could actually run at 900p undocked if the screen was higher res. It already ran at 720p/60fps on Wii U.
Good point. Digital Foundry can usually note super sampling, but maybe Nintendo don't use it.

Takeru

At this point, it is not surprising it's getting the welfare versions. Doesn't look bad for a portable I guess.

crinale

Actually if they dare to take effort and de-make assets, then I wish them going even further so they can actually keep 60fps (unlocked is fine), something PS3/Vita version couldn't achieve.

SHOCKING NEWS

Still, this is the version I might get, as it has both games.

Yeah, as much as I was looking forward to getting a PS4 to try these games I'm more than happy top wait for the Switch version. As long as it looks on par with Hyrule Warriors (which I remember a lot of Gaffers complaining about the graphics) I'm good.

Top Bottom