• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II Is Downgraded On Nintendo Switch Compared To PS4 Version

I honestly was shocked how bad it ran, I won't use it to judge Switch yet just due to early launch jitters and such, but if ground up games run that bad, sheesh.

Yea, I expect downgrades but if we are honest that seems extreme. Maybe this is the HH version, in which case it would make sense.

I also noticed some frame drops on the Xenoblade 2 trailer (unless it was just YouTube), though I expect that still has time to be corrected.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=h0-6o6yXXWw

Is people really shitting on this launch port?
Obviously it's possible interest is about being double pack with all DLC and exclusive contents and being also portable
Switch is a wiiu plus, with a particular form factor, I think that could do more than this but at the same time looking for ps4 visual fidelity sounds silly.
And the fact thamthismgame doesn't push ps4 hw neither means that team, assets, characteristics of the game aren't developed to push graphics on any system

Nerazar

What about DQH1, though? It seems to be weird, because 1 seems to be an upport from the PS3, a good one at that, whereas DQH2 seems to be way worse than that, maybe even Vita levels.

So I sure hope that they optimize the game until release.

Floody

Not surprised it looks worse, but didn't expect it to look so much worse. Suppose I should go in expecting Switch games to be in the same tier as I do Vita games when they are on PS4 and Vita. I wonder how much worse the Vita version will look.

goldenpp72

Obviously it's possible interest is about being double pack with all DLC and exclusive contents and being also portable
Switch is a wiiu plus, with a particular form factor, I think that could do more than this but at the same time looking for ps4 visual fidelity sounds silly.
And the fact thamthismgame doesn't push ps4 hw neither means that team, assets, characteristics of the game aren't developed to push graphics on any system

I think the issue is that the PS3 version of these ran and looked better, the Switch should be quite a bit more able than that, so yeah people can be upset, chill.

Guymelef

As said in the other thread we've likely only seen footage of the game in portable mode. That's how it was demoed in Japan this weekend I believe. That's the feature that sets it apart from the PS4 version and it looks significantly better the the Vita version.

We need to see what it looks like and how it runs while the Switch is in docked mode.

So, basically, people are jumping the gun.... again....

https://youtu.be/h0-6o6yXXWw?t=22m15s

Blobbers

This is why Dragon Quest XI Switch needs to have all 3 versions to offset the UE4 version looking subpar compared to the PS4. Please read this comment, Square

HeelPower

and geometry
a45Z0ul.jpg

Man doing that on a big scale is probably very time consuming and difficult for devs.

This is like a demaster.

Devs nowadays are required to make games ranging from Switch all the way to Scorpio,Pro and PC.

What a nightmare.

i cant believe a system you can take with you and use as a handheld is weaker than a dedicated home console. absolutely shocking. nintendoomed

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I haven't seen the FPS from the picture in the OP... where are these pics/videos coming from?

The Japanese fans first noticed it in the livestream done in Japan for the Switch version and raised a stink. Korean board picked it up and posted pictures

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think you guys should be comparing the PSVita version with the Switch version.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
While I think these comparisons arent exactly fair, Nintendo brought it upon themselves by marketing it as a home console.

Jigorath

Banned
The framerate is the bigger issue.

The whole thing feels like a low effort port quickly thrown together to make it in time for the launch.

I'm definitely not expecting PS4 levels (or even close) but I think Switch can do more than that. It seems to be a pretty extensive downgrade.

I'm guessing this is either the HH version, it was rushed for launch, or both. That said, I would still consider this on Switch if it comes West.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This port is shaping up pretty poorly. Hopefully, it launches on better shape than they've been showing.

crinale

this isn't that surprising, but is that even the final switch build?

It's coming out in less than 2 month. I'm sure it's gone gold already.

This is why Dragon Quest XI Switch needs to have all 3 versions to offset the UE4 version looking subpar compared to the PS4. Please read this comment, Square

They outright said Switch version will be different from PS4 (and from 3DS too) at Famitsu interview quite a while ago.

Lol

This is going to be the go to ninty fanboy argument, isn't it?

I'm not a Nintendo fan by a long shot. I'm just saying, this downgrade business won't matter a jolt in Japan. The Switch is going to kill it over there. As for the rest of the world, that will probably end up being a very different story.

We aren't shitting on everything, just stating the reality between both platforms, something that seems people didn't had clear enough.

If portability adds enough value to you, congrats. For me is not worth the visual downgrade, and I expect this to be the case on any other midly demanding graphical multi game.

But I'm ok with that, Nintendo Switch is primarly a Nintendo games portable for me.

Briguy13

Banned
Still getting it on Switch. Having both games on a single cart and having them portable outweighs a few extra sparkles.

While I think these comparisons arent exactly fair, Nintendo brought it upon themselves by marketing it as a home console.

It is every bit as much a home console as it is a handheld. This is especially evident by the software lineup and emphasis on grandiose games like open-world Zelda, sandbox Mario, Xenoblade 2, and even the re-release of Skyrim.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I just wish all the back and forth would stop between the defenders and the concern trollers. Either Switch is holding secret sauce and Nintendo is waiting to put out the secret dock connector to make a PS4Pro system, or its a handheld and should not be judged as a console in terms of power.

These two narrative arguments are directly contradictory and sometimes are even parroted by the same people. I hope the launch of this thing will tamp the hysteria down once we find out what the switch can officially do for games in handheld and docked mode and see a full hardware teardown too.

This could be representative of a lazy port or what handheld mode usually needs, we dont know yet

Ricky 7

Well, the guy saying the Switch was as powerful as the Xbone, is gonna to get dissapointed.

But, seriously though, who was expecting otherwise?

In absolute terms? Yes.

Switch is a more modern arquitecture that supports most common third party engines, but the games won't look dramatically better than the Wii U.

Kinda disappointing tbh, I actually wanted that rumor about being near XBO levels to be true. Guess there's going to be no significant graphical improvement this gen like the transition from GC to Wii.

Aalvi

I wonder why sony hasn't made a PS4 Pro portable with 6-10 hours battery and a slim and light profile for 299.99.

Asd202

Man doing that on a big scale is probably very time consuming and difficult for devs.

This is like a demaster.

Devs nowadays are required to make games ranging from Switch all the way to Scorpio,Pro and PC.

What a nightmare.

There's a easy solution, don't bother with the Switch and most if not all big and more demanding games will do just that.

Top Bottom