• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End |Imp OT| - Homiron's Heroes

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Vw5CeA6.png

4K2Flws.png

Title: Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End
Platform: PlayStation 4 / PlayStation 3 / PlayStation Vita
Genre: Action RPG
Players: 1 / Maximum of 4 Online
Release Date: 05/27/2016
Price:
PS4 - 7,800 JPY (Physical / Download)
PS3 - 6,800 JPY (Physical / Download)
PSV - 6,800 JPY (Physical / Download) + PSVTV Compatible
*Supports Cross Save across all platforms
Age Rating: CERO B (12 and up)

9MGHDuE.png

y2PGk9W.png

PS4 Comparison Footage / PS3 Comparison Footage / PSV Comparison Footage
Chart + Translation Credits to Gematsu

xTBsF8X.png

• Save Data Import Bonuses:
    Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below – Luceus and Aurora costumes.
    Dragon Quest Builders – “Builders’ Mallet” weapon.
  • Cross-Play and Cross-Save
    Cross-play multiplayer across PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita is supported, as well as cross-save across the three platforms.
  • Co-Op Multiplayer (Up to Four Players)
    You can cooperatively play “Story Battles” with friends.
    There is a multiplayer exclusive dungeon called the “Space-Time Labyrinth.”
  • Game flow consists of town, field, and battle stages.
  • There are various terrains, including grasslands, forests, deserts, and snow fields. When you enter the field, you’ll move towards a destination.
  • The concept of weather exists. Enemies may change based on the weather, and magic may be more or less powerful.
  • There are field quests that can suddenly occur.
  • Able to find Items and Resources on the maps
  • Monster Coins return and this time have 3 categories.
    Transform - Transform into a monster and gain their abilities.
    Support - Summons a monster to fight alongside you in battle.
    Assist - Summons a monster who performs a specific ability which harms enemies or assists the player.
  • Change classes to create your own hero!
    The protagonists, different from the other heroes, have a special ability. They can both change their class and the types of weapons they use. Each class has attribute values and learnable skills, as well as different weapons that can be equipped and significant differences in how they fight. You can be a powerful, sword-wielding Warrior; or you can be a Priest who heals their allies; create your own kind of hero.
  • Use weapons to increase your Proficiency and awaken new powers!
    By damaging the enemy, the “Proficiency” of your equipped weapon class will increase. When Proficiency increases, different from the Skill Points you acquire, you can learn the magic, skills, and special effects available when a weapon of that class is equipped.
  • Change classes to create your own hero!
    The protagonists, different from the other heroes, have a special ability. They can both change their class and the types of weapons they use. Each class has attribute values and learnable skills, as well as different weapons that can be equipped and significant differences in how they fight. You can be a powerful, sword-wielding Warrior; or you can be a Priest who heals their allies; create your own kind of hero.
  • “Advanced classes” that let you obtain even greater power and learn various skills.
    In order to change to an advanced class, you must first gain experience in the basic classes. If you gain experience as a Warrior or Fighter, you’ll be able to change to the “Battle Master” class. Or if you gain experience as a Priest or Mage, you’ll be able to change to the “Sage” class. However, in order to change to an advanced class, you must first complete the quest handed out by the priest at the class change office.
  • Giant Monster vs. Giant Monster fights.
*Credits to Gematsu

T7LTrnS.png

JB0fWzQ.png

Original Characters
Razel (voiced by Mirai Moriyama)
Tereshia (voiced by Emi Takei)
Cesare (voiced by Takayuki Yamada)
Orneze (voiced by Nana Mizuki)

New Dragon Quest Characters
Meena (voiced by Yoko Hisa)
Torneko (voiced by Chafurin)
Carver (voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto)
Gabo (voiced by Mutsumi Tamura)
Maribel (voiced by Aoi Yuki)
Angelo (voiced by Yoshimasa Hosoya)

Returning Dragon Quest Characters
Alena (voiced by Shoko Nakagawa)
Kiryl (voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa)
Maya (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro)
Terry (voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya)
Jessica (voiced by Ayana Taketatsu)
*Credits to Gematsu

*Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below playable characters Luceus, Aurora, Doric, Isla, Nera, Bianca, Yangus, and Psaro will be released as free downloadable content.
It should be noted that these characters do not appear in the story and can only be used in multiplayer.
*Credits to Gematsu

MpBWIyI.png

Official Media
Opening Movie
1st Trailer
2nd Trailer

The following vids below have JP commentary + potato quality footage unforutnately.
PS4 Knight Aberrant Monster Coin Transformation Gameplay
PS4 Chimera Monster Coin Transformation Gameplay
PS4 Coop Winged Tiger Boss Fight Gameplay
Costume change Examaple
Field & Town Gameplay
More Field Gameplay
Coop Gameplay

Non-Potato quality footage w/ commentary
8-mins of Gameplay w/ Carver, Torneko, Meena, Maribel, Gabo, Angelo
Facilities, Class Techniques Gameplay
Giant Monster Fight - Atlas Vs. Drakulard Gameplay
*Credits to Gematsu for links to the various videos

User Reorded Gameplay Footage
Desert Stage Gameplay #1
Big Battle Gameplay In Desert Stage
*Credits to Cindi Mayweather

alLphGO.png

6GWMQZc.png

#0:
Q: Is this game going to be localized for the West?
A: Dragon Quest Heroes II for PS4 coming to North America on April 25, Europe on April 28

#1:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Single player Action / RPG. For those familiar with the "Musou / Warriors" series this title is done by the same dev team team Omega Force. Although would have to say how the game plays its a bit closer to Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll. The player takes control of a small group consisting of 3 heros / heroines which the player can switch between at will. Smashing through large numbers of enemies is the general design of this action title on top of various large sized bosses from the Dragon Quest series.

#2:
Q: Im new to the "Musou / Warriors" genre along with the Dragon Quest series. Should I still buy this game?
A: Since this is a total standalone spin-off title, those who enjoy action games and do not mind importing titles should have no issues for the most part with this game. Gameplay is fairly straight forward and should not be too complex in design. The main thing to consider is if you do not mind the language barrier or not. Asides from that feel free to import away!

#3:
Q: Does this work on a non Japanese region PS4 / PS3 / PSV?
A: Yes PS4 / PS3 / PSV software is not region locked unless the publisher decides to make it so. Though any content from the JPSN is region locked by said user being required to have a JPSN account to download DLC for example. Though any content pushed out through "title updates" will be able to be received without the need of a JPSN account. But "title updates" are not as common as standard DLC. Therefore it is advised to have a JPSN account if you plan on securing DLC / redeeming product codes for the game.

#4:
Q: Do I need to know Japanese to play this game?
A: Not exactly, but at the same time it would help or else you wouldnt know what the skill / item effects are. On top of missing out on the story. But if you are one of those who are used to playing games without knowing whats being said / can memorize generally what items & skills do by all means feel free to import this title. In general these types of games are not too complex gameplay wise, same with the mission objectives.

#5:
Q: Does this game have any connection to other series?
A: Nope! Totally original story here. This game is a total fanservice to DQ fans with the various main JRPG series characters appearing in this titile. So the only real connection here would be the supporting main series characters. So even if you are not familiar with all of the Dragon Quest games am sure you should be able to enjoy this title!

#6:
Q: Does this game have review scores?
A: Here are the Famitsu Review Scores for all 3 versions.
Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy’s End (PS4) – 10/10/9/10 [39/40]
Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy’s End (PS3) – 10/10/9/10 [39/40]
Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy’s End (PSV) – 10/10/9/10 [39/40]
*Credits to Gematsu

QZwHnN2.png

Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below playable characters Luceus, Aurora, Doric, Isla, Nera, Bianca, Yangus, and Psaro will be released as free downloadable content.
It should be noted that these characters do not appear in the story and can only be used in multiplayer.
*Credits to Gematsu

DLC #1: June 2

Additional Stories

Torneko – Clear this to receive the “Slime Abacus” weapon for Torneko.
Maribel and Gabo – Clear this to receive the “Slime Edge” weapon for Maribel and “Slime Claws” weapon for the male and female protagonists, and Gabo.
The following weapons can also be obtained in the Clearing House by exchanging Medals:

Usable by the Male and Female Protagonists:
Slime Dual Swords
Slime Rod
Slime Stick
Slime Staff
Usable by Cesare:
Slime Blade
Usable by the Male and Female Protagonists, and Orneze:
Slime Axe

DLC #2: June 9

Dragon Quest Heroes II

Boss
QBsFpe2.jpg

Estark (from Dragon Quest IV) appears as a boss monster! Defeat him to obtain “Estark’s Dual Swords.”
Additional Stories

Maya and Meena – Clear this to receive the “Slime Fan” weapon for Maya and “Slime Tarot” weapon for Meena.
Terry and Carver – Clear this to receive the “Slime Sword” weapon for the male and female protagonsts, and Terry, and the “Slime Gloves” weapon for Alena and Carver.

DLC #3: June 16

Additional Stories

Jessica and Angelo – Clear this to receive the “Slime Whip” for the male and female protagonists, and Jessica, and the “Slime Arrow” for the male and female protagonists, and Angelo.
Alena and Kiryl – Clear this to receive the “Slime Spear” for the male and female protagonists, and Kiryl.
“Space-Time Labyrinth” Multiplayer Characters

Luceus
Aurora
Bianca
Nera

DLC #4: June 23

Dragon Quest Heroes II

Boss
FQrloe3.jpg

Dragonlord (from Dragon Quest I) appears as a boss monster! Defeat him to obtain the “Dragonlord’s Staff.”
“Space-Time Labyrinth” Multiplayer Characters

Doric
Isla
Yangus
Psaro
■ DLC #5: Early July

Multiplayer Battle Mode

“Monster Coin Battle” – While protecting the “Labyrinth of the Guardian Stone,” attack using Monster Coins.
*Credits to Gematsu

KIhLVyu.png

AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
CD Japan
HMV Japan
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

RxOy2pe.png

Lastly some stuff is still sorta WIP. Might / Might not fix depending on time scheduling.

Parakeetman

space saved jic doubt ill need it tho.

Now that this shit is finally done maybe I can actually play my copy thats been sitting here most of the day...

Parakeetman

For those wondering on what X version looks like just watch the videos. Both image link & text based links, so use those.

Will have to add in the trophy list later when it appears.

Any word on secret characters? Dqh1 had the best one

Considering this isnt even out yet officially...besides the midnight sellers if SQEX allowed it

No?

---

Man they really went all out with this. Like how the two MCs the convos between them isnt as irritating as the first game lol

The opening movie is fantastic too.

Time to lose another 100 hours in the series ( ̄▽ ̄)b

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Tried grabbing a physical copy at midnight at mylocal store, but failed because SE ninjas don't allow that.

Will get it tomorrow after work. I'll probably be down for multiplayer at some point if I like it.

Wanchan

Maps are huge, game feels more MMOish than the first one, for now I've yet to tower defense anything, which is a good thing but I wonder if they dropped the monster/pets mechanism, I know nothing about this DQH II since I didn't want to see spoilers.

Parakeetman

Id imagine they used the same tech / design they used for Toukiden 2 with how the "open world" part works with the field maps.

One thing for sure is I dig the field maps. Nice having an area to run around in. Early on too seems like monsters are not aggressive at all. Even if you attack some of them. Good for starting out and experimenting with the moves and such.

Did die once already due to a named monster 1 shotting me lol. Need to figure out if there is a way to tell how strong a NM is before actually attacking it.

Really think Im gonna have a great time with this game.

Wanchan

Did die once already due to a named monster 1 shotting me lol. Need to figure out if there is a way to tell how strong a NM is before actually attacking it.

I died too, I guess we met the same named lol, also it's nice to see the 2 MC are less of a copy/paste.

Parakeetman

Wait.

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Surely there's at least two player couch co-op, right?

Nope.

For the most part couch co-op is dead. Far better off with companies that invest their efforts into a proper online MP than trying to split resources between split screen / online. Am glad that they actually added proper co-op since that was something folks really wanted out of the first game considering the setting / gameplay design.

------

Really am impressed with the game, along with the whole skilling up your weapons / class changing and other whatnots most def can see myself spending a ton of time in the game. Its insane how much they improved everything in comparison to the first game. Instead of just a tiny increment with changes, such as like how the DW series is in general.

Graphics are super nice too. PS4 is the obvious choice for this one to see the game in its full glory.

Parakeetman

Its nice how much more of a story this seems to have also.

Would imagine some folks will whine about the cutscenes though.

Its cool how the townfolk have their own portraits too.

Loading in and out of the buildings in town is fast also which is great.

Bladenic

Still need to platinum DQH, but I really hope we get the sequel. I'm most excited to play as Angelo from the new characters. All of the DQH characters are returning right (minus the new ones from that game)?

Wanchan

Yes! the monsters/pets mechanism is still in and they improved it too, you can now transform into some monsters (henshin type only), transformed into some cloud thingy and thunder-stormed the map, soooo fun! I just hope it lasts longer at higher level.

Shikoba

Gosh, this reminds me that I still want finish DQH. Admittedly I stopped playing it due to all the fps dropping on PS4. Dumb reason, I know, but it was really jarring. Did that ever get fixed? I need to grab it on PC at some point.

Footage I've seen of the Vita version looks stunning, easily the most technically impressive game I've seen on the console this year. Gonna import if this never comes west.

inner-G

Banned
Did the first DQH come out on PC in Japan also, or was it only in the West?

Game looks hype but I liked the characters they picked for the first one better

Aeana

Mine still hasn't shipped. Since it is a Friday release, I definitely won't get it until next week. Oh well.

deaQ2It.png

Parakeetman

Yes! the monsters/pets mechanism is still in and they improved it too, you can now transform into some monsters (henshin type only), transformed into some cloud thingy and thunder-stormed the map, soooo fun! I just hope it lasts longer at higher level.

If you actually read the OT you would see the information was written there...

Does it still have that jingle shit that happens every time you do something in the menu?

If you are talking about the quest counter stuff. No idea as its not active yet in my game.

-------------

Man this game though fantastic stuff. Just did one of the extra side missions. Which is clearing floors that leads up to a boss fight. Nice way to get little extra exp and drops.

Torneko is awesome as expected. The crossbows + bunched up enemies = death everywhere lol

Lucreto

Hope we get an announcement soon.

For the first game they announced the western date the same week it release it in Japan.

Parakeetman

Hope we get an announcement soon.

For the first game they announced the western date the same week it release it in Japan.

Since the E3 is so soon, perhaps then.

Is that release date correct? Excited to see impressions here and really want to see this in the States.

2015 what the fuck? lol thanks for catching that. Had only changed the month, since the actual day for release was the same as DQH in Japan. Totally forgot to change the year too. There we go fixed.

1upsuper

Really debating on whether to grab this now or wait for a localization. I import pretty much all the DQs but I feel like this one has a chance of making it over here. Hmm.

Bladenic

Never mind, read the OT and saw that some of the DQH heroes aren't returning. Bianca and Yangus were part of my main team, especially Yangus. WHYYYY :(

I wasn't sure at first, but I'm gonna go with the Vita version for this since it looks like they actually put some real effort into making sure it runs well.

Plus crossplatform MP means I'm not losing out with friends.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Maps are huge, game feels more MMOish than the first one, for now I've yet to tower defense anything, which is a good thing but I wonder if they dropped the monster/pets mechanism, I know nothing about this DQH II since I didn't want to see spoilers.

Awesome; hope tower defense stuff is kept to a minimum or was dropped.

I've been looking forward to this game despite the original ultimately being a disappointment-- inititally didn't care for it, tried it again and liked it, then got bored after more play time.

I ordered the PS4 and Vita versions; should have them tomorrow.

Parakeetman

Is the whole story playable in online co-op or some sort of side missions?

Not sure about whole story, but it seems like you can join others to help them with story mode. Plus you gain more exp, gold and skill up for weapons than normal when helping other players.

「ストーリーのバトル」を協力プレイ
自分のパーティ3人と友達1人でパーティを組んだり、友達3人に協力してもらったり、
1人では攻略が難しいステージや強敵など……、みんなに協力してもらって冒険に出掛けよう!

「ストーリーのバトル」で協力プレイするときのおもな特徴
ストーリーやクエストでお手伝いを募集することができ、リッカの宿屋であらかじめ「お手伝い登録」をしていたプレイヤーをパーティメンバーと入れ替える形で、1人~3人加えることができる。
また、協力したプレイヤーたちは、経験値・熟練度・ゴールドを通常よりも多く獲得することができる!

Since it does not seem to say that it limits you to anything would imagine the whole game. Though it does not mention what happens during cutscenes and such. Since it would suck if others could skip cutscenes making you miss watching something.

I wasn't sure at first, but I'm gonna go with the Vita version for this since it looks like they actually put some real effort into making sure it runs well.

Plus crossplatform MP means I'm not losing out with friends.

Im most likely going to get the Vita ver also just so I can level / skill up on the go.

---------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-27J9LRJSfM&feature=youtu.be

Random early footage of me using Torneko. While he may not have too much in terms of combos with his normal attacks his skills esp the crossbow are great. That and his support healing / status recovery skills that he can learn. So would be using him in MP as like support characters.

Seems like 2 of his attacks combo with that charging attack of his. So much fun constantly doing that + crossbow. Dudes special attack is so wtf though lol

UberTag

Surprised to see this series hit Vita for the 2nd installment after passing up on the opportunity the first time around.

I will happily splurge on a Day 1 digital-only release should one be localized. Otherwise, I'm likely to wait for this to hit a bargain bin and grab it on PS4 quite a bit later.

Parakeetman

Never mind, read the OT and saw that some of the DQH heroes aren't returning. Bianca and Yangus were part of my main team, especially Yangus. WHYYYY :(

While they wont be in SP they will be able to be used in MP when they arrive as free DLC in the future.

Kalamoj

What does 'Story Battles' mean exactly? Is it possible to coop the whole game from the start?
Edit: oops, missed a previous post

I'm really looking forward to this game since started getting interested on the DQ franchise thanks to DQH and this game seems to expand on the formula. Since DQH2 was announced one of the things that I wanted changed is the horrible HUD that the game used in DQH but it still looks the same.
QgsJqgn.jpg

The medal holder is taking more than half the screen, couldn't it be just one square with a number on it and expand it when you get a medal with the number being reduced to reflect that you have less spaces available? It also really bothers me how all the hud elements are so far from the edges especially the mini map, the less the hud obstructs the game while still being visible the better. I could complain about every HUD detail and how it should have been but I don't want to make this post too big.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What is this bullshit about no local coop? Goddammit...! While I enjoyed my time with DQH, Hyrule Warriors was still infinitely superior because of the couch coop.

Nope.

For the most part couch co-op is dead. Far better off with companies that invest their efforts into a proper online MP than trying to split resources between split screen / online.
"Far better"? Speak for yourself, maybe. Some of us still have real-life friends we enjoy gaming with.

It's disappointing that Hyrule Warriors had no online coop, but it's even more disappointing that this doesn't have couch coop. I'll still probably get it down the line when it gets localized, but geez. I'll say this, I understand that it might be more profitable to invest in online coop infrastructure instead of local, but to see people actually celebrating the death of local coop kind of pisses me off.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Couch coop dead? It's seeing a resurgence now if anything. Only problem is with games like this, which would require a different camera angle, because otherwise they'd have to render 2 screens at once (also one of the reason racing games don't usually have split screen nowadays).

I digress, it's great to see positive impressions and "no tower defense", at least in the early part of the game.

Parakeetman

Its cool how the open map areas have some sections or shortcuts closed off till you get a character with a specific skill for example the fire spell mera to burn down knotted branches.

The class change system makes it so your party can be slightly more flexible with the main character setup. Where before it was hard to part with certain characters due to losing that specific play style.

Top Bottom