• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End |Imp OT| - Homiron's Heroes

Raw64life

I like this cast better than the first game save for replacing Yangus with Angelo. Not sure who was asking for that.

Hoping for a localization announcement at E3. Along with Builders. And XI. And definitive release dates for VII & VIII 3DS. A man can dream.

crinale

Nice OT as usual :D I'd have to get the copy this weekend, but won't have time play it until like 3 weeks later.

As for game impression, while first iteration was good anything other than combat was kinda barebone, and early buyers say this has been improved a lot for this game.

mao2

CjacttxUkAEwa8y.jpg:orig
The chalkboard artist is so awesome. I wish I could draw like her.
http://ra66itblog.hateblo.jp/entry/2016/05/27/071524

hongcha

Probably going to go Vita digital on this one. I played the first on PS4 and loved it, but I don't have a PS4 right now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nice OT as usual :D I'd have to get the copy this weekend, but won't have time play it until like 3 weeks later.

As for game impression, while first iteration was good anything other than combat was kinda barebone, and early buyers say this has been improved a lot for this game.

Thanks!

Combat still works generally the same woth button combo attacks and activated skills from a quickmenu. Still overall HUGE improvement vs the first game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does the PS4 version support streaming on Twitch/Youtube?
IIRC the first one you had to stream on UStream or something like that.

Jeels

Skipped the first one and probably will this too, but wish this title best of success. Musuo just isn't my thing but I want the series to get more support...

Disappointing that Yangus isn't in the story in this one, he's my favorite DQ character. :(

Parakeetman

Does the PS4 version support streaming on Twitch/Youtube?
IIRC the first one you had to stream on UStream or something like that.

You really should just buy your own setup so you dont have to worry about dumbass restrictions.

I was really disappointed by how shallow the first one felt. Granted I don't play musou games much so that might just be par for the course. I hope this one has more interesting skill trees and mechanics.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You really should just buy your own setup so you dont have to worry about dumbass restrictions.
I'm not going to spend 30k just to stream 2 games with restrictions, since I'm not even that much into streaming. :d

Shouta

Man, the game looks was less Musou than before. Big cities and the class system look great too. I kinda want to wait for the US release so I can play with a friend though considering the co-op.

Parakeetman

Man, the game looks was less Musou than before. Big cities and the class system look great too. I kinda want to wait for the US release so I can play with a friend though considering the co-op.

Being able to equip different weapons with the mcs is so awesome axe4evr lol

Just got to the second field and this is a huge improvement over the first game in pretty much every single way.

Also, performance on the Vita is rock solid and the game looks good. Definitely KT's highest effort on the system since the original Toukiden.

Parakeetman

I'm not going to spend 30k just to stream 2 games with restrictions, since I'm not even that much into streaming. :d

Seeing how you always seem to stream when new stuff you buy comes out you might as well make an investment lol

The elgato HD60 pro works great but you might need to find a splitter to ripoff the hdcp signal.

I have that and a aver media live gamer portable but its older.

Just got to the second field and this is a huge improvement over the first game in pretty much every single way.

Also, performance on the Vita is rock solid and the game looks good. Definitely KT's highest effort on the system since the original Toukiden.

Having LOVED the first game this is FANTASTIC to hear. What would you say is the biggest improvement so far? Spell system? Combo system? Equipment? Music? Overall combat? Level design? Run into any tower defense style stuff yet?

A.E Suggs

Game looks better than the first by a mile from the vids. They fixed some issues I've had like multiplayer and less defend the base crap, and hopefully they fixed the garbage costume system as well. Seriously what was the point of having costumes on the first if all of them were mostly color swaps, and only one color swap at that.

Guymelef

As always, excellent OT Parakeetman.
I want this game now, the first one is one of my few Platinums.
S-E announce a fucking translation now, even if it's a Asia version.

fionel

I wonder what the co-op is like. They stated that you can play co-op online in "story battles" and special dungeons but I hope it doesn't translate to small arenas with an over-sized boss or just mindless gauntlets of mobs...

I really should get back around to playing the first one.

Shame that the PS3 is unlikely to get localisation, would have been nice to kick up some co-op with my daughter who enjoyed the first on the PS4

zeox

fantastic OP! Hopefully a localized version will be announced at e3, otherwise I'll have to import it T_T

I wonder why no PC version this time around.

Oh wait, the first one had a delayed PC port, so this one may as well?
I would be surprised to see a PC version honestly, considering how terribly the first one sold

expel

The PC version of dqh was announced after the release of the localized DQH for ps3/4, so yeah expect pc version probably the same time they announce the localization

Still no love for the Erdrick Trilogy in terms of crossover characters. :< I get why they don't use the protags, but at least use Moonbrooke and Cannock. Or even Gwaelin as a kind of gimmick character, come on!

Still wouldn't mind seeing this westward, the last one was good fun (and it even managed to make "Russian Alena" work a lot better than it did in previous versions of DQ4, though I still wonder how necessary it is).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This looks so much better than the first, I really hope it's localized.

The PC version of dqh was announced after the release of the localized DQH for ps3/4, so yeah expect pc version probably the same time they announce the localization

Even if they don't announce it there's a chance it could show up on Steam not long before it comes out, which is pretty much what happen to the first when everyone thought it would be PS4 exclusive in the west. But we need a localization announcement, that's for sure.

crinale

Damn looking at twitter feed and such (in Japanese) it seems like this is VASTLY improved over predecessor, too many good feedbacks, further fortifies what some people already stated here.. I'm not sure I can resist it for like 3 weeks lol.
I guess DQH1 developed in 18 month (from project start to release) couldn't allow KT to put much content, notably overworld, so they must compromise with the airship moving around 2D map.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Damn looking at twitter feed and such (in Japanese) it seems like this is VASTLY improved over predecessor, too many good feedbacks, further fortifies what some people already stated here.. I'm not sure I can resist it for like 3 weeks lol.
I guess DQH1 developed in 18 month (from project start to release) couldn't allow KT to put much content, notably overworld, so they must compromise with the airship moving around 2D map.
Yeah, out of curiosity I checked the Japanese Amazon page for the PS4 version and people writing positive reviews mention that everything which was bad in DQH1 has been addressed. Great to hear.

Sakura

Just picked up a copy, forgot this was out already. Too bad I have to work all weekend so I can't play much yet.

Oh god I remember this though. This straight up made me ignore quests.
Same. Pausing everything to play a jingle is all cute when it only happens every now and then, like in actual DQ games. If it happens 10 times in quick succession, it stops being a celebration, and instead becomes incredibly annoying. I have no idea how they didn't catch that during playtesting. I ignored the quests in original game because of this, which of course screwed me over in terms of inventory space as well. This ended up in a domino effect where I ignored even more systems. I hope they not only let you skip these jingles in the sequel, but just drop the equipment limits in general.

The final thing I wish the original game had, was a little more AI options for my party members. They just uselessly trailed behind me, which just didn't make a lot of sense for a Tower Defence gameplay. You want party members to be plonked down at strategic points, and use the character swap to teleport throughout the map to stay ontop of things. I guess they reason they didn't allow you to do that, was because it would render a lot of the monster medals useless

Parakeetman

As always, excellent OT Parakeetman.
I want this game now, the first one is one of my few Platinums.
S-E announce a fucking translation now, even if it's a Asia version.

Thanks!

Game most def is worth it, esp if you were a fan of the original as this totally blows it out of the water big time with overall improvements across the board.

That and in general Japan rarely does a PC port right out of the gate as their main market is the console / handheld one and not so much the PC. Thats more a Western thing with the ports.

fantastic OP! Hopefully a localized version will be announced at e3, otherwise I'll have to import it T_T
I would be surprised to see a PC version honestly, considering how terribly the first one sold

Thanks!

ranmafan

Can't wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow. Going to try and finish up on some of my missing trophies in the first game tonight and enjoy this in full tomorrow when mine arrives. Great to hear how good it is from everyone.

Parakeetman

Can't wait for my copy to arrive tomorrow. Going to try and finish up on some of my missing trophies in the first game tonight and enjoy this in full tomorrow when mine arrives. Great to hear how good it is from everyone.

Game is insanely good. Am really honestly surprised with how much effort they actually put into improving the title over the first one, instead of just tossing in new characters / maps and calling it a day.

As mentioned before one thing am quite happy about is in town how fast loading in / out of the buildings are. Considering one of them you will be wandering into often enough.

Parakeetman

Is the quest system improved? 3 day weekend so might pick this up.

Ill have to check still am progressing and the questing counter is not active for service yet. Though I have done the save random villager who is surrounded outside in the field map twice now. Same guy too lol.

Dont remember if the first had this but its nice buying multiple if the same equippable items then being able to equip all of them right after just like if it was a single purchase

Wanchan

Is the quest system improved? 3 day weekend so might pick this up.

You still have the jingle every time you pick/complete one quest, quest counter is exactly like the first one, I didn't notice any change so far.

They've added pictures of the mobs you have to defeat in the quest log, I don't think this was in the first one.

Skulldead

Did they add difficulty level ? Because yes the post game was really challenging (that was perfect for my taste), but the story line was a little way too on the easy side.

Parakeetman

Did they add difficulty level ? Because yes the post game was really challenging (that was perfect for my taste), but the story line was a little way too on the easy side.

Didnt see any option. Do imagine they made the story easy so anyone can enjoy the story. All the extra stuff is harder for those who play more. Id imagine the mp dungeon stuff can get hard seeing how there are lv ranks

Sakura

I've gotten a game over in the story and I'm still pretty early on, so I wouldn't consider it that easy. But I'm probably just bad at the game.

Parakeetman

I've gotten a game over in the story and I'm still pretty early on, so I wouldn't consider it that easy. But I'm probably just bad at the game.

Not really as sometimes the named monsters can 1 shot you depending lol

A.E Suggs

Yeah, out of curiosity I checked the Japanese Amazon page for the PS4 version and people writing positive reviews mention that everything which was bad in DQH1 has been addressed. Great to hear.

Really now? Probably still not gonna sell more than the first game in japan. I rarely if ever see anything sell more than the previous versions there any more unless its like pokemon or yokai watch.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Okay, played the game for 4+ hours, got a total of 6 characters and cleared the first multiplayer dungeon with a friend 3 or 4 times (it's really short).

It's definitely better than the first game, and the only "tower defense" element so far was protecting an NPC while trying to stop waves of enemies and destroy gates on the other side of the map.

Speaking of maps, I blame myself, but I expected more of an "open world" than quite big maps with randomly scattered monsters. Areas feel really empty and there's not really that much to do. I've only cleared the first 2 though, so it might get better later on.

That said, despite the above, I'm enjoying Heroes 2 way more than 1. It feels much more like a cross between a musou and an action RPG than between a musou and a tower defense game.

As for the multiplayer dungeons, the first is a series of 3 rooms (2?) and a boss. Aside from the boss fight, which was made with multiple people in mind, it's really straightforward and fun chaos with summoning monsters, becoming monsters and everyone using their special attacks.

Can't wait to play more over the weekend.

You can check out the first 4 hours of the game here, once YT finishes processing my stream.

RangerBAD

You can just see how much better the game is even just watching other people play. I ordered this, but don't think I'll get it until next week. In middle of the VC1 remaster too.

Top Bottom