• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes pre-order is up on Steam! Releasing December 3rd!

Shahed

I got the game on PS4 since it was one of the first Dragon Quest games not on a handheld in ages, and from impressions it was like another game I played called Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll which I really enjoyed. However honestly speaking the game isn't worth it.

Bar the initial enjoyment and nostalgia for the Dragon Quest thematic design and influence, a lot of things started to get annoying. Everything you do takes ages. Accepting a quest. Turning in a quest. Saving. Reloading. Charging your healstones. Buying and selling items. Usaing the alchemy pot. They seem to make you read the same line that can't really be sped up, make you sit there and wait while literally nothing happens, then play a jingle while still waiting, and then finally do the action you want to do. I get it's all traditional Dragon Quest like and fan service, but they could have done that elsewhere with the music, art and other things that come across naturally while playing yet doesn't aggravate you.

The sidequest design is also really poor. There are some decent trials and challenges, but it largely boils down to farming and grinding away to kill X amount of monsters or getting their loot. Some of them need 100 odd or more and it's just tedious killing like 5 enemies, zoning out to respawn, and returning to repeat the process.

Saying that the combat itself can actually be kind of fun at times, and some of the Tower Defense mechanics require good planning and usage of monsters. The AI could be more active and coop would have been nice, but in general the actual gameplay can be decent. The story while relatively simple and straightforward like other DQ games is still enjoyable in a light hearted manner. There's just too many other things that impact you in top of when you're actually playing that makes it a bit aggravating and a chore to play at times.

By all means get it if you miss Dragon Quest a bit or want to support it on PC. I kind of did the same for the PS4 version. But it has it's problems and in unless there is major improvements, i'm gonna pass on Heroes 2 when it comes out.

I got the game on PS4 since it was one of the first Dragon Quest games not on a handheld in ages, and from impressions it was like another game I played called Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll which I really enjoyed. However honestly speaking the game isn't worth it.

Bar the in initial enjoyment and nostalgia or the Dragon Quest thematic design and influence, alot of thise started to get annoying. Everything you do takes ages. Accepting a quest. Turning in a quest. Saving. Reloading. Charging your healstones. Buying and selling items. Usaing the alchemy pot. They seem to make you read the same line that can't really be sped up, make you sit there anr wait while literally nothing happens, then play a jingle while still waiting, and then finally do the action you want to do. I get it's all traditional Dragon Quest like ane fan service, but they could have done that elsewhere with the music, art and other things that come across naturally while playing yet doesn't aggravate you.

The sidequest design is also really poor. There are some decent trials and challenges, but it largely boils down to farming and grinding a way to kill X amount of monsters or getting their loot. Some of them need 100 odd or more and it's just tedius killing like 5 enemies, zoning out to respawn, and returning to repeat the process.

Saying that the combat itself can actually be kind if fun at times, and some of the Tower Defense mechanics require good planning and usage of monsters. The AI could be more active and coop would have been nice, but in general the actual gameplay can decent. The story while relatively simple and straightforward like other DQ games is still enjoyable in a light hearted manner. There's just too many other things that impact you in top of when you're actually playing that makes it a bit aggravating and a chore to play at times.

By all means get it if you miss Dragon Quest a bit or want to support it on PC. I kind of did the same for the PS4 version. But it has it's problems and in nless there is major improvements, i'm gonna pass on Heroes 2 when it comes out.

This hurts to read :(

Come on. Read your post which said it bombed in the "West" while citing chart positions and sales figure in NPD. I am not trying to say it was a roaring success, merely stating that there is not much evidence right now to outright call the game a "bomb". The game sold pretty much the same as past Dragon Quest games. .

You answered yourself. Unfortunately, DQ didn't had big sales in west, except for DQVIII and IX... and as for IX, that was with a heavy campaign. Now, maybe they had low expectations, in any case, there's not big expectations to have with this game in term of sales.

You answered yourself. Unfortunately, DQ didn't had big sales in west, except for DQVIII and IX... and as for IX, that was with a heavy campaign. Now, maybe they had low expectations, in any case, there's not big expectations to have with this game in term of sales.
The way they marketed it already shows they didn't had much expectations to begin with. Remember, the game already sold more than a million in just Asia/Japan meaning it was a roaring success for Square Enix. The localization isn't going to cost them millions in loss making it a bomb. They sent it to die anyways, which shows they didn't care.

The way they marketed it already shows they didn't had much expectations to begin with. Remember, the game already sold more than a million in just Asia/Japan meaning it was a roaring success for Square Enix. The localization isn't going to cost them millions in loss making it a bomb. They sent it to die anyways, which shows they didn't care.

Basically: DQ. It always has been a success in Japan, not in west. There's nothing wrong saying it didn't sold well in West.

sörine

Banned
DQH sold pretty much the same as the previous games sold in the West. The only denial is for people who were expecting it to light charts on fire. Which is actually hilarious since it is a Musou spin-off and not even a mainline.

As for Type-0 HD, you cite six times the sales yet I still remember how people were calling it a failure. Funny how it works.
Right, DQH sold in line with the previous DS remakes that... sold so badly SE quit publishing the series overseas for half a decade. Actually it undersold them even, except the supply constrained DQV. But sure just wait for those financial reports, I'm sure eveything's really doing great!

And people called Type-0 HD a bomb based on it's own merits. Huge franchise, a lusted after "lost" release, on the beasting PS4/One... and it sold about as well as a decade old PS2 remaster or a 3DS spinoff without the FF brand. I don't think it bombed exactly, but it's not unfair to have expected more either given what it had going for it.

Parsnip

Have any of the other Koei Tecmo games with resolution locks had them fixed by tinkering?

As far as I recall in some previous KT game, unlocking the resolution is not the issue as such.
It's that the hud is hardcoded to specific set of resolutions and will not scale at all. It's possible to adjust the hud of course but that means more work. Who knows how this one is though.

Shahed

This hurts to read :(
I'm sorry! But I played and finished it a while ago, and I like to wait a bit and reflect on a game after sometime since I feel and judgements made during and soon after can be skewed too positively or negatively. I happened to see this thread and decided to post my thoughts on the game. It's not bad. Little things changed here and there could have improved it a lot and I'm hoping they do that for the 2nd game.

ShockingAlberto buried it a page ago, he's just pouring dirt over the grave at this point.

Yeah I didn't read ShockingAlberto's post until just now. I pretty much agree with everything said. It goes from incredibly easy throughout the game until a sudden spike in difficulty post game. It's not even that hard then, just requires you to think more about tactics and, party member composition and accessory effects really which isn't much. Just until that point there's no need since it's largely mindless so the sudden requirement is jarring.

Having never really played Musou before this actually put me of other games in the genre. However if thie is one of the lesser ones, I guess I'll still get Hyrule Warriors at some point.

Basically: DQ. It always has been a success in Japan, not in west. There's nothing wrong saying it didn't sold well in West.
It didn't sold well =/= bomb. Just pointing it out here.

sörine;187684629 said:
Right, DQH sold in line with the previous DS remakes that... sold so badly SE quit publishing the series overseas for half a decade. Actually it undersold them even, except the supply constrained DQV. But sure just wait for those financial reports, I'm sure eveything's really doing great!

And people called Type-0 HD a bomb based on it's own merits. Huge franchise, a lusted after "lost" release, on the beasting PS4/One... and it sold about as well as a decade old PS2 remaster or a 3DS spinoff without the FF brand. I don't think it bombed exactly, but it's not unfair to have expected more either given what it had going for it.
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 will likely make it to the West as well along with Dragon Quest XI. Will this satisfy you? I sure hope so.

FF: Type-0 HD is also a years old Remaster of a PSP game FFS. Just bundling it with a demo wasn't ever going to work considering it was sold for $60 at launch, and yet it doubled the sales of Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest IX, despite the former being bundled with FFXII Demo and being marketed well as a mainline new Dragon Quest in West and both were released extremely popular hardware (PS2) and (DS).

Camjo-Z

Bar the initial enjoyment and nostalgia for the Dragon Quest thematic design and influence, a lot of things started to get annoying. Everything you do takes ages. Accepting a quest. Turning in a quest. Saving. Reloading. Charging your healstones. Buying and selling items. Usaing the alchemy pot. They seem to make you read the same line that can't really be sped up, make you sit there and wait while literally nothing happens, then play a jingle while still waiting, and then finally do the action you want to do. I get it's all traditional Dragon Quest like and fan service, but they could have done that elsewhere with the music, art and other things that come across naturally while playing yet doesn't aggravate you.

The sidequest design is also really poor. There are some decent trials and challenges, but it largely boils down to farming and grinding away to kill X amount of monsters or getting their loot. Some of them need 100 odd or more and it's just tedious killing like 5 enemies, zoning out to respawn, and returning to repeat the process.

Saying that the combat itself can actually be kind of fun at times, and some of the Tower Defense mechanics require good planning and usage of monsters. The AI could be more active and coop would have been nice, but in general the actual gameplay can be decent. The story while relatively simple and straightforward like other DQ games is still enjoyable in a light hearted manner. There's just too many other things that impact you in top of when you're actually playing that makes it a bit aggravating and a chore to play at times.

I think the game is awesome and it's definitely my favorite Musou in years, but none of what you've said is false. Any big Dragon Quest fans would be fools to not get this (the amazing dubbing alone is worth it, they even got Yangus' original voice back) but unless you're willing to deal with some questionable design choices it's definitely a harder sell for people who aren't into the series.

sörine

Banned
It didn't sold well =/= bomb. Just pointing it out here.
No, but calling it a bomb given what we know isn't exactly controversial either.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 will likely make it to the West as well along with Dragon Quest XI. Will this satisfy you? I sure hope so.

FF: Type-0 HD is also a years old Remaster of a PSP game FFS. Just bundling it with a demo wasn't ever going to work considering it was sold for $60 at launch, and yet it doubled the sales of Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Quest IX, despite the former being bundled with FFXII Demo and being marketed well as a mainline new Dragon Quest in West and both were released extremely popular hardware (PS2) and (DS).
You really shouldn't take more DQ releases as a sign that Heroes didn't tank. We'll still get Heroes 2 and Builders (although probably PS4 only for both, unless Steam/NX), as well as XI and those 3DS remakes thanks to Nintendo. That in itself doesn't mean Heroes didn't bomb though, it just means SE have a franchise plan they're following through on leading into XI. It was the same on DS/Wii with Rocket Slime, Joker, Swords and IV/V and also the same recently with the mobile push of I-VI and VIII. Those all did horribly though and additional releases didn't change that evalution after the fact. Although who knows, maybe Heroes will pull a Valkyria and be saved by Steam? I wouldn't count on it though.

Rationalizing Type-0 HD's tepid sales are understandable, it was hardly a perfect product. But using Dragon Quest games to try and do that is laughable. Nevermind that VIII and IX actually had solid sustained sales and ended up outselling the incredibly overshipped Type-0 HD anyway. Seriously, try again.

oddigy

Still curious to read some impressions from anyone who has purchased and played the PC version to see how the controls translate, if there are any glaring bugs, etc.

By the way, you can advance text in the PS4 version by pressing or holding the [x] key or whatever confirm is. Once I figured that out, slogging through the crafting dialogue became a lot easier for me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is the graphic options menu apparently:

QrVRwiG.jpg

k3FHC8e.jpg

Shahed

I think the game is awesome and it's definitely my favorite Musou in years, but none of what you've said is false. Any big Dragon Quest fans would be fools to not get this (the amazing dubbing alone is worth it, they even got Yangus' original voice back) but unless you're willing to deal with some questionable design choices it's definitely a harder sell for people who aren't into the series.

Oh yeah i am a big fan of the dialogue and voice acting. Bar the healslime, I love what I heard. Tried Japanese for a bit but I definitely preferred the English audio. Bianca, Yangus and Jessica were my favourites to listen to!

sörine;187701804 said:
Rationalizing Type-0 HD's tepid sales are understandable, it was hardly a perfect product. But using Dragon Quest games to try and do that is laughable. Nevermind that VIII and IX actually had solid sustained sales and ended up outselling the incredibly overshipped Type-0 HD anyway. Seriously, try again.
LOL. I am seriously done here. Your comment says it like Type-0 HD will stop selling after the initial debut? How is that even possible. Heck I haven't even seen the game drop to Bomba level prices yet.

You know that games do keep selling after debut, even if they bomb at launch? There is no reason to assume Type-0 HD has completely stopped selling and it is entirely comparable to Dragon Quest, who didn't achieve their sales in debut months but after selling for quite a while.

But seriously, you are trying to hard here. Just give it a rest and chill out. We will see how Dragon Quest Heroes does on Steam and if it does as bad, we can just write it off as the series barely having any popularity in West instead of screaming that Steam is no longer a viable platform for the game, just like you are trying too hard to say the same for PS4.

LOL. I am seriously done here. Your comment says it like Type-0 HD will stop selling after the initial debut? How is that even possible. Heck I haven't even seen the game drop to Bomba level prices yet.

You know that games do keep selling after debut, even if they bomb at launch? There is no reason to assume Type-0 HD has completely stopped selling and it is entirely comparable to Dragon Quest, who didn't achieve their sales in debut months but after selling for quite a while.

But seriously, you are trying to hard here. Just give it a rest and chill out. We will see how Dragon Quest Heroes does on Steam and if it does as bad, we can just write it off as the series barely having any popularity in West instead of screaming that Steam is no longer a viable platform for the game, just like you are trying too hard to say the same for PS4.

I think you're just being overly defensive. No one claimed as such really.

I think you're just being overly defensive. No one claimed as such really.
No one? Ok
sörine;187682607 said:
Cited sales figures + chart positions = Tales from my Ass? Really?! The willful denial surrounding October's JPS4 threesome underperforming is truly astounding.

This is nothing though, just pay a visit to the Media Create thread someday. People have used the the sales number of DQH to say pretty much the same. Anyways, this is getting off topic quickly so I am going to call it quit.

Chillz0r

Banned

By all means get it if you miss Dragon Quest a bit or want to support it on PC. I kind of did the same for the PS4 version. But it has it's problems and in unless there is major improvements, i'm gonna pass on Heroes 2 when it comes out.

Well, darn, i read the first sentence and was almost hyped, loved Zill O'll despite it being a kind of low budget game.

Guess i'll wait for a sale

sörine

Banned

The real issue is that you're trying to compare brands like Dragon Quest directly to Final Fantasy at all in some effort to excuse the latter's sales. That's the problem and what's laughably reaching. That DQVIII/IX actually ended up with decent legs and selling great for what they are is immaterial, they're not games carrying the FF brand and wouldn't have been viewed as selling all that great for FF games.

Also, Type-0 is $25 or less now. Try actually looking.

No one? Ok

This is nothing though, just pay a visit to the Media Create thread someday. People have used the the sales number of DQH to say pretty much the same. Anyways, this is getting off topic quickly so I am going to call it quit.
That doesn't say anything about the platform, only those 3 games. I mean, it's not a good sign but we don't need to wait for IR reports hefore we can evaluate the sales of all three games. They're just not great.

sörine;187879320 said:
Also, Type-0 is $25 or less now. Try actually looking.
Last time I checked, a game being $25 more than half year after launch used to be the norm. It is not bomba level, because if it is, then every game hits this level after a while due to overshipment. They are not selling them under $10 or lower just to move copies. I didn't event see bomba sales for Black Friday? You are saying that Type-0 HD launched at bomba price on Steam?

eastx

Last time I checked, a game being $25 more than half year after launch used to be the norm. It is not bomba level, because if it is, then every game hits this level after a while due to overshipment. They are not selling them under $10 or lower just to move copies. I didn't event see bomba sales for Black Friday? You are saying that Type-0 HD launched at bomba price on Steam?

Also, this is a lame discussion. I think sorane's part of it is more lame, but like, everybody should just drop it.

koji

Is anyone actually playing this thing, kinda tempted to buy it but not a big fan of the whole Dynasty Warriors deal... Do you have like an inventory and gear and stuff? :)

Tizoc

Is anyone actually playing this thing, kinda tempted to buy it but not a big fan of the whole Dynasty Warriors deal... Do you have like an inventory and gear and stuff? :)

Yup you can get a variety of accessories and there are various weapons you can buy as you progress through the game and level up system etc.

koji

Yup you can get a variety of accessories and there are various weapons you can buy as you progress through the game and level up system etc.

And how is the impact of that stuff Tizoc, actual impact or rather meaningless? Loot is a big factor for me in these kind of games.

Tizoc

And how is the impact of that stuff Tizoc, actual impact or rather meaningless? Loot is a big factor for me in these kind of games.

Hmm honestly stronger equipment means you take less damage and deal more damage of course, but they managed to keep the 'spirit' of DQ with enemies still capable of killing you early on if you're not careful how you engage them.
There's likely 100+ accessories varying from increased resistance to status affects to increasing your stats when at low health etc.

You get skill points when you level up and you use it to gain passive stats and other stuff. You can even re-assign your skill points if there are certain stuff you'd prefer having.

koji

Hmm honestly stronger equipment means you take less damage and deal more damage of course, but they managed to keep the 'spirit' of DQ with enemies still capable of killing you early on if you're not careful how you engage them.
There's likely 100+ accessories varying from increased resistance to status affects to increasing your stats when at low health etc.

You get skill points when you level up and you use it to gain passive stats and other stuff. You can even re-assign your skill points if there are certain stuff you'd prefer having.

Aight sounds good man, thanks for the info!

Top Bottom