• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest I, II, and III for Switch coming west on September 27

Mista

Banned
EEYZVhXU4AAoSwp

Square Enix will release the Switch versions of Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line, and Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation via the Nintendo eShop in the west day-and-date with their Japanese release on September 27, the company announced.

A physical collection including all three titles is due out for Switch in Asia with English, Chinese, and Korean subtitles in October. Pre-orders are currently available on Play-Asia.
Gematsu

Shantae

Banned
Are they NES or SNES versions or something else.
They're updated versions that aren't really NES or SNES. They've been released on mobile for a while, and other than them being on phones, they're pretty good versions. They look like 16 bit versions of the games, but aren't just SNES versions.

Here's a playthrough of the PS4 version of Dragon Quest III that's been out in Japan for a while, all 3 games have this same basic look.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
US eShop:

Hudo

There's also a physical version in Asia, which includes English as a language.

EDIT: It's also right in the OP, sorry.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

giphy.gif

Fantastic news; especially for those who haven't played them before. I'll buy even though I have multiple versions of these games, but I always gotta support Dragon Quest. It's Dragon Quest god damn it. Dragon Quest!

I'd like to see 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 possibly make it to Switch too, and hopefully also get released in the west. I already have those too, but this is one of those series I'll always support and replay when a new release or re-release comes along.

Quasicat

I was getting ready to create a Japanese eShop account when I saw this! I’m super pumped to play this again!

They're updated versions that aren't really NES or SNES. They've been released on mobile for a while, and other than them being on phones, they're pretty good versions. They look like 16 bit versions of the games, but aren't just SNES versions.

Here's a playthrough of the PS4 version of Dragon Quest III that's been out in Japan for a while, all 3 games have this same basic look.

Not especially fond of how the character sprites look like a higher resolution than the world sprites, but it still looks leagues better than the Final Fantasy mobile ports.

Andyliini

Great news! I'll still probably import the physical version from Asia, though. Hopefully more people can find classic Dragon Quest via DQXI and it's wayback machine.

Solis

Neophyte
Ooo, that's great news! Saw the trilogy on the Japanese version of the eShop the other day and was wondering if it was going to get a Western release. Yay! :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes: Dragon Quest: Echoes of an Elusive Age was my first DQ game, so I think it'll be nice to play the first three installments for the first time.

Kacho

US eShop:

giphy.gif

ethomaz

Banned
How about the PS4 version?
How about you give it free for these that finished DQXI like in Japan?

SE is so dumb.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Any word on those coming to the west on PS4?

Reactions: TLZ
I played through Dragon Quest 1 on my phone.

For whatever reason it's 10x the better port over the FF ones.

Actually the mobile sprites don't look that bad at all really, the Switch version uses different sprites that are way worse. Also all of the battles have static images of monsters in completely still backgrounds.

switch-dragonquest2-04-1568643548340.jpg

dragon-quest-1-3-switch-2.jpg

switch-dragonquest3-05-1568643548355.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hmmm well I thought this was just a port of the mobile version which were awesome. These look... weird.

Yx2P8ok.png

nRLBdmD.png

If you want to play them in order, start with Dragon Quest III, then Dragon Quest and finally Dragon Quest II.

Dragon Quest III is my favorite from the Loto trilogy. I remember the monsters were animated when attacking in Dragon Quest III on the Game Boy Color version which I always liked. I am disappointed if that is no longer the case for the Switch version.

Last edited:

Erdrick

If you want to play them in order, start with Dragon Quest III, then Dragon Quest and finally Dragon Quest II.

Dragon Quest III is my favorite from the Loto trilogy. I remember the monsters were animated when attacking in Dragon Quest III on the Game Boy Color version which I always liked. I am disappointed if that is no longer the case for the Switch version.

You can do this, sure. It's much better to play them in release order though. You can have a much greater appreciation of how the games and series as a whole evolved and got so incredibly well-made.

DQ3 is my absolute favorite game of all time, so I'm happy that more people can experience it.

blackjon24

You don't think you lose anything by going it about this way? Especially the ending of 3? I've been a fan of the series for a while but only played the original trilogy in the past 5 years or so and even with these simple graphics the reveal from 2 after playing 1 and the reveal from 3 after playing the first two hit me hard

rockyt

You don't think you lose anything by going it about this way? Especially the ending of 3? I've been a fan of the series for a while but only played the original trilogy in the past 5 years or so and even with these simple graphics the reveal from 2 after playing 1 and the reveal from 3 after playing the first two hit me hard
Yeah that's how I originally played 1,2 and than 3. The reveal and twist hit me hard and was a bit emotional for me back than. I think you definitely lose something when you play them 3,1, and than 2.

I originally played Dragon Warrior I & II first so I know what you mean. I later played the trilogy in chronological order but I guess you've got a point since I remember the first time playing them more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom