• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest I, II, III Releases In Japan On Nintendo Switch On September 27, 2019

Mista

Banned
dq123.png

Square Enix announced today on the Japanese Nintendo Direct that Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest II, and Dragon Quest III are releasing on Nintendo Switch this month digitally on the eShop.

The game releases are being done in commemoration of Dragon Quest XI S, which releases this month.

All three games are set to release on Nintendo Switch eShop on September 27, 2019.
Siliconera

Shantae

Banned
Are these the SNES versions?
They're probably the same as the PS4 versions also only released in Japan, which were basically the mobile versions. I've played them on ios...I personally never thought they were bad, but I hate playing games on my phone. I like buttons.

The fact that they're on iOS and Android is what makes me confused why we don't have these announced for the US...they're in English on phones, so just put em on consoles too. Especially with Hero being in Smash.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up, but with Trials of Mana having been recently translated, I have hope that this will too.

clem84

Gold Member
The SNES versions would be nice since we never got them.

As someone else said, these games are already on mobiles. Why not released them on consoles? I think it's likely this will happen at some point though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
They're probably the same as the PS4 versions also only released in Japan, which were basically the mobile versions. I've played them on ios...I personally never thought they were bad, but I hate playing games on my phone. I like buttons.

The fact that they're on iOS and Android is what makes me confused why we don't have these announced for the US...they're in English on phones, so just put em on consoles too. Especially with Hero being in Smash.

The PS4 versions didn't come out on the West either.

I think SE thinks that West doesn't care about old DQ games... Which is kinda true though. :p

Orenji Neko

Square, if you are possibly thinking about bringing these over, then please:

giphy.gif

And goddamn do I love Dragon Quest III.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
I've only played the classic Dragon Quest games on Nintendo handhelds. Are the mobile versions vastly different? I am just wondering if they have user interface and sprite model updates that are considered inferior to the originals, like what they did with classic Final Fantasy games? The thing about these older games is that I really don't mind playing them in their original aspect ratios, with their original graphics, and sound. I think that's part of the charm and nostalgia when it comes to replaying older games.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Would make sense to release them here too, considering how connected the original trilogy is with Dragon Quest XI.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've only played the classic Dragon Quest games on Nintendo handhelds. Are the mobile versions vastly different? I am just wondering if they have user interface and sprite model updates that are considered inferior to the originals, like what they did with classic Final Fantasy games? The thing about these older games is that I really don't mind playing them in their original aspect ratios, with their original graphics, and sound. I think that's part of the charm and nostalgia when it comes to replaying older games.
These versions are vastly superior to the Gameboy color versions, in my opinion. The sprites were updated from 8 bit graphics to 16 bit-like (similar to Dragon Quest VI) and the menus were modernized and improved, as were the translations.

Andyliini

It seems like these three will be released physically in Asia region, with English support and all. Play-Asia has a preorder on it right now. I would preorder, but I'm moving soon, and am not exactly sure wether to use my current or upcoming address.

TheContact

Slightly off topic but I've never played a single DQ game. I have a Switch, 3DS, and a Vita. What do you guys recommend I play? I do like open world type of RPGs and I don't like first person battles if that matters.

alf717

Slightly off topic but I've never played a single DQ game. I have a Switch, 3DS, and a Vita. What do you guys recommend I play? I do like open world type of RPGs and I don't like first person battles if that matters.

You could try the Dragon Quest XI Demo on Switch I read it has a hefty amount of game play for a demo. The battle system in Dragon Quest has been turned based for a while. In DQ XI by default they let you move your character around but I ended up turning it off in favor of a more tradition style to the older games before it. I've only completed the first and fourth game but I really enjoy the series.

Last edited:

Durmos

Neo Member
You could try the Dragon Quest XI Demo on Switch I read it has a hefty amount of game play for a demo. The battle system in Dragon Quest has been turned based for a while. In DQ XI by default they let you move your character around but I ended up turning it off in favor of a more tradition style to the older games before it. I've only completed the first and fourth game but I really enjoy the series.

I played for a good 8 hours on that demo

you get far enough to get a full party at least.

What sucks is to play these in the US you need the rare nes carts, or play on shitty mobile versions with crap controls.
I hate that my nes, genesis and tg16 plus all games got taken from my apartment in the 90s... Still mad at the burglers.

Come on square give it up. Take my money already.

Shantae

Banned
It seems like these three will be released physically in Asia region, with English support and all. Play-Asia has a preorder on it right now. I would preorder, but I'm moving soon, and am not exactly sure wether to use my current or upcoming address.
I heard about this, but the only source I've heard is play-asia. Has there been any info anywhere else regarding this release? Play-asia has posted wrong listings before, like Final Fantasy VIII Remastered.

Hudo

If there's a physical, I'm in. I wish there would also be physical versions of the Romancing Saga remasters...

What sucks is to play these in the US you need the rare nes carts, or play on shitty mobile versions with crap controls.
I hate that my nes, genesis and tg16 plus all games got taken from my apartment in the 90s... Still mad at the burglers.

Come on square give it up. Take my money already.
I played all three games on the Game Boy Color. Not sure how easy it is to acquire those versions though.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It's so weird to me there are ANY games publishers deem worthy to make and release in Japan, but not worth the comparatively trivial task of translating to release to the rest of the world where 90% of gamers preside - especially digital games.

Vawn

Banned
Ah ok. Just seemed weird to have 3 out of the 4 nes dq games.

If they release this on a cart in America I'd buy it.

Yeah, it was weird how they did early DQ games. 1-3 were all sequels/prequels to each other, as were 4-6. Every other game belonged in it's own universe until 11 being one again back in the original trilogy.

Andyliini

I heard about this, but the only source I've heard is play-asia. Has there been any info anywhere else regarding this release? Play-asia has posted wrong listings before, like Final Fantasy VIII Remastered.

I got the information from Square Enix Asia Facebook post:

It does not say physical directly, but as far as I know, there is no eShop in Asian region, so the game has to be physical.

Top Bottom