• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest I out today internationally for iOS/Android [now up in NA]

Goli

NA iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dragon-quest-i/id911201894?mt=8
NA Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq1_gp

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/dragon-quest-i/id911201894?mt=8
The game that started the legend of DRAGON QUEST is here at last for mobile devices!
Discover the RPG that won the hearts of two generations!

Enter a fantasy world of sword, magic, and monsters in one standalone package!
Download it once, and there’s nothing else to buy, and nothing else to download!
※In-game text is available in English only.

◆ Prologue
The peace of fair Alefgard has been shattered by the appearance of the nefarious master of the night known as the Dragonlord, and the Sphere of Light which for so long kept the forces of darkness in check has been stolen!
It’s time for you, a young warrior through whose veins flows the blood of the legendary hero Erdrick, to set out on a quest to vanquish the Dragonlord, and save the land from darkness!

◆ Game Features
・First in the Legendary Series
Originally released as Dragon Warrior, you can now experience the classic retro RPG experience that swept up millions of Japanese players back in the Eighties...and never let go!
Become the descendant of the legendary hero Erdrick, and embark on an epic journey through the historic realm of Alefgard, tackling fearsome foes and perplexing puzzles on your way to the dread Dragonlord’s lair!

・Simple, Intuitive Controls
The game’s controls are designed to work perfectly with the vertical layout of any modern mobile device, and the position of the movement button can be changed to facilitate both one- and two-handed play.

・Experience the legendary RPG loved by millions in Japan and worldwide! Created by a legendary trio with the master creator Yuji Horii, the revolutionary synthesizer score and orchestration by Koichi Sugiyama, and art by master manga artist Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball).

--------------------
◆ Supported iOS Devices/Operating Systems ◆
・iPhone 4 and Above/iPad/iPod touch (4th Generation and Above)
・iOS4.3 and Above
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

Seems like all the international versions will be standalone apps, unlike the Japanese one for DQI which you must access from the free DQ app.

eojoko

I was sold on this before seeing that screen cap, but I thought this was going to be updated with "Dragon Quest" terms. It's still Erdrick and not Loto or Roto? Are 1-3 just going to be the NES Dragon Warrior games ported to iOS with a new title? Does this mean 3 isn't getting a new localization either? That'd be a bummer. As good as the old style Dragon Warrior translations were, I wanted series consistency with the new releases.

Edit: If it's a new translation than I'm interested again. At 2.99 I was going to get it anyway, anyway.

javadoze

Wait, a port of the SNES version!?!

*On iOS*

Well, that sucks, but maybe I can enjoy the new and improved translation on my andr-

*Uses the old NES translation*

Well, damn... Still cool that they finally released the SNES version for the first time in the USA in some form (though I'm not a fan of ye olde translation)..

Gloam

Thought it was getting a new translation? Will probably pick it up anyway should speed up a couple of bus journeys.

I suppose the old terms are ubiquitous among people who played it when it was new, but I wish they updated the localization personally. At least the price is solid. I wonder if DQ2 will be have a similar cost (or maybe a couple bucks more)

clem84

Gold Member
Wait, a port of the SNES version!?!

*On iOS*

Well, that sucks, but maybe I can enjoy the new and improved translation on my andr-

*Uses the old NES translation*

Well, damn... Still cool that they finally released the SNES version for the first time in the USA in some form (though I'm not a fan of ye olde translation)..

That's what I thought. It looks like the SNES version, but in portrait mode. At 3$ I might get it.

Porcile

Not sure if I could ever play through this again. I mean, it's not that it's difficult or long, neither in fact, but I just remember it having some classically 'what the hell am I supposed to do now?' moments.

If this is anything like DQ 8 and 4, it will be out on Android relatively soon I hope. For $2.99 I'll definitely give it a try. I've enjoyed my time with DQ 8, though I haven't completed it yet.

I clicked on the link and the price says $3.79 (which isn't a problem to me). Also, I can't find this game on the App Store via my phone. Can I only buy through the website?

I'm trying to remember: the GBC versions didn't use Erdrick in their localizations, did they?
No, but only because it was a sloppy localization which appeared to be limited to text string size constraints, ie: Metaly instead of Metal Slime, Metabble instead of Metal Babble, Dracolord instead of Dragonlord. Using Loto instead of Erdrick saved them a lot of text use. Erdrick was reintroduced in Dragon Quest IX.

that might be the first IOS game that SE has launched at a fair price. Still, fuck 'em i'm waiting for a sale because i'm still sour on what i've paid for their other IOS releases.

No, but only because it was a sloppy localization which appeared to be limited to text string size constraints, ie: Metaly instead of Metal Slime, Metabble instead of Metal Babble, Dracolord instead of Deagon Lord. Using Loto instead of Erdrick saved them a lot of text use. Erdrick was reintroduced in Dragon Quest IX.
Damn, forgot about them appearing in DQIX.
So the current DQ canon is that the first 3 games are the Erdrick trilogy (like DW1-3 were)? I can live with that.

will buy it because it needs alll the help we can give ... even if that money will end up being wasted on shit no one actually wants

Aeana

I was sold on this before seeing that screen cap, but I thought this was going to be updated with "Dragon Quest" terms. It's still Erdrick and not Loto or Roto? Are 1-3 just going to be the NES Dragon Warrior games ported to iOS with a new title? Does this mean 3 isn't getting a new localization either? That'd be a bummer. As good as the old style Dragon Warrior translations were, I wanted series consistency with the new releases.

The recent Dragon Quest translations have changed all kinds of names and stuff. You've rarely gotten the names used in the Japanese games.

Thought it was getting a new translation? Will probably pick it up anyway should speed up a couple of bus journeys.

This is a new translation, it just happens to be in the style of the original.

Boney

Banned
Wait, this is portrait and not landscape?

I could understand with IV seeing it's based on the DS version, but this is just terrible and I don't think I can stomach this one like that.

So I guess every DQ on iOS is portrait mode? Who's behind that stupid decision?

Wait, this is portrait and not landscape?

I could understand with IV seeing it's based on the DS version, but this is just terrible and I don't think I can stomach this one like that.

So I guess every DQ on iOS is portrait mode? Who's behind that stupid decision?
It's probably because these ports are designed for phones rather than tablets. :|

Aeana

I'm happy with my GBC version thank you very muchhhhhh

Curious how it plays on iphone, though.
It's not terrible. I didn't have a lot of trouble in DQ1. 2, on the other hand... Navigating the outer edges of the lighthouse with these controls without falling off was a trial.

This is pretty cheap for Dargon Quest 1. I've never played it so I might as well pick it up and give it a go at that price.

Tiu Neo

I was thinking of playing it, just yesterday. Thanks, Square-Enix, I'll get it as soon as it's out on Android.

Top Bottom