• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake Trailer

Mabdia

Since I just can't care about FF anymore because the battle system they use nowadays, I might give Dragon Quest a chance. Hope they remake all the games.

Does anyone can tell me if there is a order to play the game?

I would pay an ungodly amount of money for a FF6 and CT remake with these graphics.

Hmm... Just if they don't touch the history and the battle system!!! Also I'll add Chrono Cross. Man I love that game!

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
All these "HD 2D" - Type games look inferior to just 2D sprite games. 3D depth doesn't make sprite graphics look "better"!

Only more detailed (more pixels + more sprites) 2D sprite graphics make 2D sprite graphics better.

The "HD-2D" look is just a way of convincing higher management to green-light a game with sprites, that's all.

I wish Squre Enix would stop fucking around and go full complex 2D sprites instead of frankenstein-ing a 3D/2D sprite look, because it will not look better.

Those game are clearly targeted towards people who like sprite graphics.

So what's the fucking point?

IF you want to bring 2D sprites back, DO IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!
Nah, this style is gorgeous and has a unique flair that "regular" 2D isn't able to emulate.

Not to say I don't want a normal super detailed 2D game to stop being made,but both styles can co-exist.

Last edited:
Since I just can't care about FF anymore because the battle system they use nowadays, I might give Dragon Quest a chance. Hope they remake all the games.

Does anyone can tell me if there is a order to play the game?
The story isn't all that important for Dragon Quest, especially the early entries.

But, some are related story wise. The first three games occur in the same world (and apparently so does 11). 3 is a prequel to 1 and 2.

The next three (4-6) also occur in the same world, which is unrelated to the original trilogy

7 and 8 are completely stand-alone story-wise. 9, I never played, but I don't think it has any story relation to any entries. 10 is an MMO that never had a western release (although it sounds likes they are making an offline version, that MAY get a western release).

Prior knowledge of any entries is not vital for 11.

Last edited:
Not into this artstyle, reminds me of those PSP final fantasy remakes.
I loved these!
maxresdefault.jpg

Mabdia

The story isn't all that important for Dragon Quest, especially the early entries.

But, some are related story wise. The first three games occur in the same world (and apparently so does 11). 3 is a prequel to 1 and 2.

The next three (4-6) also occur in the same world, which is unrelated to the original trilogy

7 and 8 are completely stand-alone story-wise. 9, I never played, but I don't think it has any story relation to any entries. 10 is an MMO that never had a western release (although it sounds likes they are making an offline version, that MAY get a western release).

Prior knowledge of any entries is not vital for 11.
Thanks lot! So i'll just star with XI.

GeekyDad

How receptive do you think they are to petitions? We know they are a business and money talks. I wonder if they’d budge if we manage to get a million+ co-signs on the net. 🤝
Well, assuming they're trying to get some mileage out of the Octopath engine -- which they absolutely should -- and Chrono Trigger being as beloved as it is, I think it has a shot. Maybe even a great shot.

FStubbs

... I just had a eureka moment about why they randomly picked DQ3 to do this remaster of.

It's because the Dragon Quest Builders games covered DQ1 and DQ2.

TidusYuna

... I just had a eureka moment about why they randomly picked DQ3 to do this remaster of.

It's because the Dragon Quest Builders games covered DQ1 and DQ2.

I think they are supposed to be remaking Dragon Quest 1 & 2 as well if DQ3 2DHD is successful. Also i believe Dragon Quest 3 is a prequel to DQ1 and DQ2.

Are the Dragon Quest builders games worth buying? I didn't know they covered DQ1 and DQ2. I'm kind of interested in picking them up now.

FStubbs

I think they are supposed to be remaking Dragon Quest 1 & 2 as well if DQ3 2DHD is successful. Also i believe Dragon Quest 3 is a prequel to DQ1 and DQ2.

Are the Dragon Quest builders games worth buying? I didn't know they covered DQ1 and DQ2. I'm kind of interested in picking them up now.
Dragon Quest Builders 1 is basically the aftermath of Dragon Quest 1 if the hero decides to join the Dragonlord and you're rebuilding Alefgard, so you'll get to see the world of DQ1 in more modern graphics at least.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is I think the aftermath of that, set in DQ2's world - sort of - and you get Malroth in human form as your partner.

Other than the novelty of Alefgard in minecraft graphics, I think DQ Builders 2 makes 1 obsolete.

EDIT:

To be fair, if they've done DQ3, they more or less have DQ1 about 90% or more done since the near entirety of DQ1's gameworld was contained in DQ3. DQ2 would need new locales though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom