• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IV [DS] new scan

king zell

0.17777011856596.jpg

PolyGone

Banned
hot damn

this game'll definitely benefit from having the extra screen, look at the dungeon shot on the left page - you can see more of the maze, thereby helping to avoid annoying dead ends and the like

Aeana

Battles look really weird... I haven't decided what I think about that, just yet!

Other than that, though, it looks fantastic.

ethelred

I really love the way the battles are presented. The character portraits look great, and I like that we'll get to see those all the time -- it's a nice way to mix the style of DQVIII (showing the full character models) and old school DQ (which showed... nothing). And I like that status info like HP and MP are displayed up there, as it gives more room for the backgrounds (which are looking hot).

Hype increasing.

PolyGone said:
hot damn

this game'll definitely benefit from having the extra screen, look at the dungeon shot on the left page - you can see more of the maze, thereby helping to avoid annoying dead ends and the like

Very good point.

Rodeo Clown said:
What are the odds that this gets localized though?

Pretty damned high.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ethelred said:
I really love the way the battles are presented. The character portraits look great, and I like that we'll get to see those all the time -- it's a nice way to mix the style of DQVIII (showing the full character models) and old school DQ (which showed... nothing). And I like that status info like HP and MP are displayed up there, as it gives more room for the backgrounds (which are looking hot).

I really hope status and low hp changes the images too.

Also, nice big buttons for use of the touch screen. I hope touch controls are done better than FFIII which ammounted to having to tap just about everything twice.

Soul4ger

I like the shots of the world map on the far right, when you're navigating the overworld. You can zoom in and out, as you like it. Good stuff. This game and the other remakes will ROX.

Aeana

Thinking about it more, I guess what they've done with the battles is pretty cool. I don't like the big black space at the top of the top screen with the tactics text, though. Seems like a lot of wasted space.
I also can't figure out what's going on in the battle screens in the lower left. There's a combat log, and 4 blue bars underneath. I wonder what they are.

The changes are a bit jarring for someone who's played the PSX remake as many times as I have, but they're not bad at all. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

The wait for DQIX will be a painless one as long as they can get this trilogy out within the next 6-18 months. I can't find a drool emoticon big enough to convey my frothing demand.

firex

This game just looks better and better to me. It's good to see how they're using both screens. I like it a lot more than FF3's use, anyway.

ethelred

firex said:
This game just looks better and better to me. It's good to see how they're using both screens. I like it a lot more than FF3's use, anyway.

Well, it'd be kinda hard to have a worse implementation of dual screen than FF3r...

NolbertoS

Day 1 purchase confirmed, but just in case, might take Japanese lessons to import it, if it doesn't get localized. I ain't going to miss out on DQIV, V and VI if it doesn't get localized.

Jiggy

So awesome.
And character portraits visible in battle? Just another reason to take Alena and Mara 100% of the time. (As opposed to Ragnar and Brey.) Those two, Christopher, and the Hero are my usual party.

It's a great game overall. The positives far, far outweigh the stuff I had issues with (which was very little). Y'all should have a good time.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Looks hot! I'll import it as soon as it comes out in the US but I still hope Europe will get it!

Hmm, I like the way they put the character portraits and status up on the top screen. It's a good way of displaying the stats without taking up too much screen real estate. And the portraits are a nice personal touch, a reminder of who you've got fighting for you :).

edit: the map zoom in/out is cool too, very DQ VIII like

ethelred

Greenpanda said:
Hmm, I like the way they put the character portraits and status up on the top screen. It's a good way of displaying the stats without taking up too much screen real estate. And the portraits are a nice personal touch, a reminder of who you've got fighting for you :).

edit: the map zoom in/out is cool too, very DQ VIII like

Didn't you quit gaming?

Takuhi

Whoah, where did ArtePiazza get the skills to do in two screens what Matrix could only do in one? I hope that this shames Matrix into doing the same for FFIV.

Damn, I am looking forward to this SO MUCH MORE than DQIX. Is that wrong?

Takuhi said:
Whoah, where did ArtePiazza get the skills to do in two screens what Matrix could only do in one? I hope that this shames Matrix into doing the same for FFIV.

If that's so wrong, I don't want to be right.

/Lame

ethelred

Takuhi said:

Yes.

I'm looking forward to this doubleplusgoodgood game very much, but Dragon Quest IX much more. Though Square Enix really needs to release that freaking new trailer of DQ9 to reassure me that my faith is well placed. :(

mutsu

Tenbatsu said:
Nice graphics! Guess they jus recycle DQ7 one i suppose?:lol

It does look very similar, but slightly different.

I guess I don't really mind. Those extra touches with the new icons and things like that makes me happy.

Top Bottom