• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX nearly finished.. And more Wii software!

Johnas

Error said:
I dunno, Horii made 8 (9 I guess if you count CT) great rpgs why would he suddenly churn out a not so good entry in this legendary series?

in Horii I trust. he has also said countless of times that DQ9 SP will be up on par with the rest of the series. there is not need to push the panic button yet.

I agree, if they were willing to listen to the outcry from fans and change the combat back to turn-based, that's a good indication imo that they're not going to do anything drastic and risk disappointing the DQ fanbase.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
cant believe Aeana is doubting Horii. be strong, have faith, BELIEVE!

Aeana

Error said:
cant believe Aeana is doubting Horii. be strong, have faith, BELIEVE!

This happened with DQ8, too. Lots of (seemingly) drastic changes were announced, and I was incredibly apprehensive. That turned out really well in the end... let's hope DQ9 does too. I suppose the main difference here is that with DQ8, I didn't have to worry about whether or not I'd need a bunch of people to play with me any time I wanted to enjoy the game.

I may be a Horii fangirl, but Level 5 always scares me with their newfangled ideas.

Error

most of the changes in DQ8 were aesthetic ones, core gameplay was basically the same. so I didnt panic.

DQ9 was the first attempt to change the core gameplay mechanics.

arpg combat aside, all the other changes were positive ones in my book. visible monsters=yes, visible equipment change=awesome, create your own hero=badass.

now whether that stuff is gonna be in the SP or not, remains to be seen but god I hope so.

Hey, I'm a huge Matsuno fan and I was convinced I was going to hate Final Fantasy XII.
really? I was the complete opposite and end up not liking it!

Aeana

Error said:
most of the changes in DQ8 were aesthetic ones, core gameplay was basically the same. so I didnt panic.

DQ9 was the first attempt to change the core gameplay mechanics.

arpg combat aside, all the other changes were positive ones in my book. visible monsters=yes, visible equipment change=awesome, create your own hero=badass.

now whether that stuff is gonna be in the SP or not, remains to be seen but god I hope so.

I'm generally not a fan of visible monsters. They only serve to annoy me in most games. Unless there's a way for me to stun them and walk by them (like in Grandia 3), I'd prefer the usual random encounters so I can use holy water or toherosu (holy protection(?)/repel) when I want to.

As for visible equipment, that's not actually confirmed... the dressup thing they showed could very well just be part of the character creation process and nothing more (so one-time choose-your-appearance). Can't tell either way, since they would rather have us speculate until the cows come home than give us more information.

Johnas

Aeana said:
I'm generally not a fan of visible monsters. They only serve to annoy me in most games. Unless there's a way for me to stun them and walk by them (like in Grandia 3), I'd prefer the usual random encounters so I can use holy water or toherosu (holy protection(?)/repel) when I want to.

As for visible equipment, that's not actually confirmed... the dressup thing they showed could very well just be part of the character creation process and nothing more (so one-time choose-your-appearance). Can't tell either way, since they would rather have us speculate until the cows come home than give us more information.

Let me know if you ever need to form a random battle defense force. I think we're part of a microscopic minority that don't hate them, in fact I still like them a lot.

I do hope visible equipment changes make it into the single-player, I think that'd be an awesome touch.

Error

Aeana said:

I dunno about that, some of the equip screens don't have a lot of equipment while others do. I think it's safe to say the visible equipment it's not just simple dress up that doesn't affect gameplay at all.

dragon-quest-ix-protectors-of-the-sky-20070512020227741.jpg

684e4e61da0c7f84a2437465c8c4ce5b.jpg

Aeana

Error said:
I dunno about that, some of the equip screens don't have a lot of equipment while others do. I think it's safe to say the visible equipment it's not just simple dress up that doesn't affect gameplay at all.

<images>

It could just show specific equipment for specific classes only. The first guy could be a warrior, the second a mage. It's easy to speculate! Though the menubar at the bottom of the screen does lend some credit to visible equipment in multiplayer, at the very least.

None of it is confirmed, however. :\

Error

can you translate what are those icons at the bottom of the equipment window, in the second pic I posted.

ps: DQ9 character models look awesome

Aeana

Error said:
can you translate what are those icons at the bottom of the equipment window, in the second pic I posted.

Communication, status, item, magic, conversation, system, close. It's a general representation of the classic DQ menu, with a few extra options (and some missing).

Those images are all from the very first presentation, when the game was still an action RPG, too. :(

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Error said:

also, it's pretty obvious by looking in the BG (field) that the game is in a pause state rather than a creation state.

Aeana

PantherLotus said:
also, it's pretty obvious by looking in the BG (field) that the game is in a pause state rather than a creation state.

The field shot is a totally separate screenshot to the left of it.
Like I said earlier, it's easy to assume both ways. I prefer to be negative so I don't get my hopes up for anything.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Aeana said:
The field shot is a totally separate screenshot to the left of it.
Like I said earlier, it's easy to assume both ways. I prefer to be negative so I don't get my hopes up for anything.

A horrible way to live is you. Postive is better. Costlier. More rewarding.

Aeana

I guess my optimism for DQ9 ran out when they delayed it at the end of last year. :( I want to be optimistic, believe me! Even with all of my negativity, it's still my most-anticipated game.

I'm really upset with SE right now for not releasing any news about this OR DQ5 in quite some time.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Aeana said:
I guess my optimism for DQ9 ran out when they delayed it at the end of last year. :( I want to be optimistic, believe me! Even with all of my negativity, it's still my most-anticipated game.

I'm really upset with SE right now for not releasing any news about this OR DQ5 in quite some time.

Whoa whoa whoa. I was saying "be positive" not "HOLY HYPE MACHINE!!" Perhaps you should follow ethel's advice, which is a much healthier way to live.

Aeana

PantherLotus said:
Whoa whoa whoa. I was saying "be positive" not "HOLY HYPE MACHINE!!" Perhaps you should follow ethel's advice, which is a much healthier way to live.

Err... what?

ethelred

PantherLotus said:

I think she's saying it's her most anticipated game because she's easily one of the top two Dragon Quest fans here (she's played DQV more times than I can count).

And my guess is she knows how to live, too. But I don't know for sure.

pulga

Banned
Himuro said:
Too bad the character designs look like shit.

If the final product has those shitty chibi looking characters I will be annoyed.

What in the world makes you think they're going to change? Better start getting annoyed.

pulga

Banned
Himuro said:
It's just a hope. Those character designs are god awful!

I think they suit the DS's strengths,
or should I say, help hide its weaknesses
. Short, big headed, round eyed characters can be made to look better than say, the main guy from DQVIII.

Aeana

Himuro said:
It's just a hope. Those character designs are god awful!

In the last scans we got (August... :(), they even unveiled the supposed new hero designs.

Here

So unless they've decided to totally redo everything, we're probably stuck with them.

Soule

farnham said:
Also he said that he wants to make more Wii software. He showed interest in the download model of the Wii (not sure if its Wii Ware or Virtual Console though)

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?num=17747&table=game_nds&main=nds
I'm praying hard for Chrono Trigger on VC as well as some form of new installment in the Chrono universe, don't care what it's on as long as it's not Mobile Phones, I'd be there day 1. Honestly I don't know what's keeping them from making a new one happen (i know there's some issues bringing CT to VC) did CT or CC bomb or something? I mean if they were both critically acclaimed and had decent sales.. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

*prays more*

Kazenone

Soule said:
I'm praying hard for Chrono Trigger on VC as well as some form of new installment in the Chrono universe, don't care what it's on as long as it's not Mobile Phones, I'd be there day 1. Honestly I don't know what's keeping them from making a new one happen (i know there's some issues bringing CT to VC) did CT or CC bomb or something? I mean if they were both critically acclaimed and had decent sales.. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

*prays more*

Hiromichi Tanaka (SE VP) said in an interview a while ago that the Chrono series could return. As for CT, apparently there are a lot of copyright issues which is stopping it from appearing on the VC or in other form.

batbeg

Despite everyone apparently being angered at me being interested in this with the changes (I'm sorry if it sounds good to me?), every picture posted has me so hyped for this. I want more information now!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aeana said:
I played through FF4 SNES with Scarlet recently, and had a lot of fun with that. I've also played through FF6 2-player twice, and that's also really fun. I'd love to try FF9 sometime. I'd kill for a patch for DQ5 that enabled such a feature. :(

As Scarlet's said, you only need to look as far as the FF games to see how multiplayer has already been implemented in regular RPGs. I think DQ9 is just taking it a step further so that you can also control your character outside of battle.

How do you resist the urge to nuke or status the other player? All attempts at playing FF6 with a buddy of mine ended in annhilation.

Also people worrying about DQ IX should calm down. When was the last truely bad DQ game? Heck as long as you can look past the graphics in 7 I'd say that the worst any of the series got was still way above average.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Man God said:
Also people worrying about DQ IX should calm down. When was the last truely bad DQ game? Heck as long as you can look past the graphics in 7 I'd say that the worst any of the series got was still way above average.
Well I'm not worried about it being bad, I'm worried about it being "not as good"... whatever, time will tell :p

Aeana

Man God said:
How do you resist the urge to nuke or status the other player? All attempts at playing FF6 with a buddy of mine ended in annhilation.

I don't know. I'm not a jerk, and I want to actually make progress.

And you're right - there aren't any bad DQ games. Even the 'worst' one is miles above any non-DQ game. But 'action RPG' and 'multi-player' are certainly enough to scare even the most die-hard fans (like myself) away. It may no longer be an action RPG, but that they even tried that still has me worried. :(

Man God said:

Most people who aren't complete twatbags realise they're playing CO-OP and it isn't some sort of contest.

Christ on a fucking stick. There really is no hope.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dragona Akehi said:
Most people who aren't complete twatbags realise they're playing CO-OP and it isn't some sort of contest.

Christ on a fucking stick. There really is no hope.

It was sort of a joke. It only ever happend right after a save point and when one of us wasn't paying attention. Considering both of us have done Low level natural magic runs with just about everyone possible, we clearly weren't going through the game for the story, nor did we mind replaying five or ten minutes.

We have nearly come to blows over the type of dickery you can get from FF:CC. That game can get serious! :lol

firex

I can't say I'm worried about this game at all, because I've liked not just all the main DQ games I've played, but also all the spinoffs. So it's hard for me to be upset or worried or whatever.

i understand DQ is a conservative series in terms of sticking to its roots. (as compared to say, every other rpg franchise - especially FF - where the latest games remotely resembles the first in any way)

but once your near the tenth incarnation its pretty clear things are going to have to start changing in one way or another. i don't think horii would make any drastic changes unless its for the better. my only concern is that in mid-development they went from a-rpg to turn-based solely out of fear of backlash and in effect tacked on the present battle system

Aeana

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i understand DQ is a conservative series in terms of sticking to its roots. (as compared to say, every other rpg franchise - especially FF - where the latest games remotely resembles the first in any way)

but once your near the tenth incarnation its pretty clear things are going to have to start changing in one way or another. i don't think horii would make any drastic changes unless its for the better. my only concern is that in mid-development they went from a-rpg to turn-based solely out of fear of backlash and in effect tacked on the present battle system

Why? Fans of the series are fans for a reason. The series obviously offers things they enjoy. Start changing them, and it might as well be another series.

i'm not saying it just HAS to change simply because its been around for so long. but its pretty clear horii wants to integrate the series into the modern community-gaming aspect that's been ubiquitous the last decade. and it's supposedly going to get bigger

gaming changes. and if you're just TOO stubborn to acclimate you can get left behind. i'm not saying that if DQIX didn't make such changes it wouldn't be a success, because i'm sure it'll sell 4 million regardless. but eventually by the 12th or 13th incarnation consumers are going to move on to different things if its the same thing again and again and again while the gamng scene has changed so drastically

Error

Himuro said:
Too bad the character designs look like shit.

If the final product has those shitty chibi looking characters I will be annoyed.
chibi looking characters is nothing new to this series.

go look at DQ1-3 pics, original that is.

beside they look awesome shut your mouth, not everything need to be realistically proportioned.

birdchili

the difference between action and turn-based is vast. making that change isn't an "evolution" of the series gameplay - it's just *different* gameplay.

Aeana

birdchili said:
the difference between action and turn-based is vast. making that change isn't an "evolution" of the series gameplay - it's just *different* gameplay.

Unfortunately, there are people who think action really is an evolution and that turn-based gameplay is "archaic," despite both being around for the same amount of time.

These people are the reason why turn-based RPGs are a dying breed.

birdchili

Himuro said:
They can fuck off. 95% of the time they weren't big fans of rpgs in the first place.
preach it!

i've got lots of complaining to do about turn-based systems, but it's because i *do* like the form in the general. there are lots of things that could be changed in these games without making them a different genre.

J-Rzez

norinrad21 said:
if you were passionate about it as you claim, then you wouldn't be bitching. DQ has never been about the graphics

I'm siding with Ponn on this one. I'm ALL for spin-off's on handhelds, but not the main deal. They were never about the graphics before, and they heard about it, thus DQVIII came out the way it did, and it looked/animated great! As a DQ fan, how couldn't you be interested in a full bells and whistles HD visuals and sounds version taking advantage of all that disc space and the HDD?

I'll still buy it, i'm sure it'll be fun, but it's not going to stop me from wondering what if it was on a higher end machine? Sometimes it seems people would deny Fun game < Fun game in full next-gen glory. I understand why they went the DS direction, but still : \

sphinx

the piano man
J-Rzez said:
I'm siding with Ponn on this one. I'm ALL for spin-off's on handhelds, but not the main deal. They were never about the graphics before, and they heard about it, thus DQVIII came out the way it did, and it looked/animated great! As a DQ fan, how couldn't you be interested in a full bells and whistles HD visuals and sounds version taking advantage of all that disc space and the HDD?

I'll still buy it, i'm sure it'll be fun, but it's not going to stop me from wondering what if it was on a higher end machine? Sometimes it seems people would deny Fun game < Fun game in full next-gen glory. I understand why they went the DS direction, but still : \

the philosophy " I wished game X would appear on console y" only leads to disappointment and grief.

Enjoy games for what they are and don't create fictional games in your head.

If it was the case that there were 2 different DQ9 versions, one for DS and one for PS3 and that the 2nd one was scrapped and cancelled in favor of the 1st one, you would have reason to be pissed off but that is not the case, there was never a PS3 version of DQ9.

justchris

Tyrone Slothrop said:
gaming changes. and if you're just TOO stubborn to acclimate you can get left behind. i'm not saying that if DQIX didn't make such changes it wouldn't be a success, because i'm sure it'll sell 4 million regardless. but eventually by the 12th or 13th incarnation consumers are going to move on to different things if its the same thing again and again and again while the gamng scene has changed so drastically

No, sorry, this is not true. You're right that gaming changes, but the thing is, we have to wait a few years between knew DQ games. It's not like we get one DQ game, and then play nothing but that until the next DQ comes out. Every gamer has plenty of time to experience everything else RPGdom has to offer before the next DQ comes out. Because games like DQ are becoming more and more rare, each one has a heavy nostalgia factor to it as well., so it really doesn't need to change that much, as long as they don't start pumping them out yearly.

Error

eh, DQ may have the same core gameplay but none of them are the same. they each have something that makes it different from others in the series.

DQ1 - first DQ, one character battles, revolutionary back then.
DQ2 - introduced a party mechanic for battles, much bigger world.
DQ3 - first DQ with a job/class system, you could create your own party, you can choose between female/male hero.
DQ4 - the story divided in chapters, you follow each character throughout their own chapters till they eventually all join together. introduced the wagon and for the first time ever in DQ you could switch characters around. could choose between female/male hero like DQ3
DQ5 - very unique scenario in which you follow the Hero's life from childhood to adulthood, first DQ to allow monster recruiting.
DQ6 - introduced a new job system to the series, a very unique scenario involving 2 different worlds.
DQ7 - features the most unique and interesting scenario in the series, that involved time traveling to unlock new islands/continents. the longest DQ game ever. it expanded on DQ6 job system.
DQ8 - first DQ to be fully 3d, took a more cinematic approach for storytelling. first DQ to have voice acting too.

sure the battle system may not be drastically different between each entry in the series like FF tends to do, but that doesn't mean every DQ game is the same.

the series innovates in its own way, it innovates by presenting very interesting scenarios that directly affect gameplay. innovation is not changing something just for the sake of changing it to be different.

zoku88

Error said:
DQ8 - first DQ to be fully 3d, took a more cinematic approach for storytelling. first DQ to have voice acting too.
Voice actiing wasn't in the original JPN release, right?

zoku88

I wonder: would you guys prefer, for future localizations for console DQ games, that they include the orchestrated music and dubbing, or would you rather them take less time and bring us the original product?

Error

I dunno, while the localization was solid and the VA good DQ8 NA also has annoying stuff like crappy menu interface and longer load times.

Kazenone

zoku88 said:
I wonder: would you guys prefer, for future localizations for console DQ games, that they include the orchestrated music and dubbing, or would you rather them take less time and bring us the original product?

I liked DQVIII but I had to turn off the voices because I don't think it's suits tbe DQ series well at all.

Top Bottom