• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX nearly finished.. And more Wii software!

farnham

Banned
In an Interview with Bloomberg Japan Yoichi Wada revealed that DQ 9 is nearly finished. He stated that many people want this game as soon as possible but they are still tweaking the Online mode and the Single player for its "Balance". Which means they are probably in Debugging stage now.. He also stated that DQ 9 is a big title release for them so they don't want to rush it. He did not mention a release date window.

Also he said that he wants to make more Wii software. He showed interest in the download model of the Wii (not sure if its Wii Ware or Virtual Console though)

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?num=17747&table=game_nds&main=nds

farnham

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I'm actually quite surprised at that fact. I figured all the silence meant something strange was happening with it (DQIX).
you seriously think that Level 5 and Enix is going to fuck up their biggest game this (PS3, 360, Wii) gen...

Aeana

Well, it definitely is nice to hear SOMETHING about it. Where is the original interview for this? I'd like to give it a read.

The bit about tweaking online and single-player for balance has me wondering whether they're similar or completely different from each other.

they don't want to rush but many people want it now. it's like we [SE] won't rush but we'll have it out quickly. [reading too far into this]

DQIX do want <3

The thing that worries me about this game is that all we've seen are the same four "create-a-characters" in all of the screens since its been first announced. I'm wondering if the party consists of those generic job classes or if there are actual characters you recruit in your party. They really seem to be focusing on some type of multiplayer with this title.

Aeana

Chris Michael said:
The thing that worries me about this game is that all we've seen are the same four "create-a-characters" in all of the screens since its been first announced. I'm wondering if the party consists of those generic job classes or if there are actual characters you recruit in your party. They really seem to be focusing on some type of multiplayer with this title.

Well, everything we've seen so far has been from the multiplayer part. That's what's been worrying me for a while, too. That, and the fact that we haven't seen a single thing about the game since August.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
farnham said:
He stated that many people want this game as soon as possible but they are still tweaking the Online mode and the Single player for its "Balance".
DS Balance Board confirmed.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If anything I hope they don't scrap off the story mode multiplayer aspect, it's one of the bigger attractives of this game for me (although I still don't know how it will work with the turn based mechanic).

After what happened concerning the battle system, everything is possible.

I don't expect to see or hear anything substantially new in the next few months. SE will first get the other two remakes out and after that I expect major Famitsu coverage over many weeks to get the hype train rolling.

Fuu

Actually, since this is by Square Enix, I'm more than used to not have any information and media. Love their games, hate their PR.

But yeah, it's probably because of the remakes.

Aeana

the-iek said:
will there still be an online coop mode? and some new screenshots would be great ;)

For as much as we've seen so far, multi-player is all there is. This interview with Wada is actually the first time single-player has even been mentioned. :\ Of course there'll be a single-player mode, but I have to wonder if it'll be as substantial as previous DQ games. It really worries me that they're focusing much more on multi-player and not enough on the single-player part. Here's hoping that they just don't want to reveal much about the story just yet. :\

As for the "online" part, the last we heard it was only local and not WFC (so not 'online').

Fuu

Aeana said:
As for the "online" part, the last we heard it was only local and not WFC (so not 'online').
Great, that's what I have my eyes on anyway. Makes sense considering it's turn based.

Aeana said:
For as much as we've seen so far, multi-player is all there is. This interview with Wada is actually the first time single-player has even been mentioned. :\ Of course there'll be a single-player mode, but I have to wonder if it'll be as substantial as previous DQ games. It really worries me that they're focusing much more on multi-player and not enough on the single-player part. Here's hoping that they just don't want to reveal much about the story just yet. :\

I think single player was confirmed before this interview. I remember an interview with GameInformer where Horii specifically mentioned it, and when DQIX was first unveiled (i.e when it was still an aRPG), it was mentioned as well.

Aeana

Magicpaint said:
I think single player was confirmed before this interview. I remember an interview with GameInformer where Horii specifically mentioned it, and when DQIX was first unveiled (i.e when it was still an aRPG), it was mentioned as well.

I must have missed the Game Informer thing. And yeah, it was mentioned when it was revealed, but it was a totally different game back then. :\

Aeana said:
I must have missed the Game Informer thing. And yeah, it was mentioned when it was revealed, but it was a totally different game back then. :\
This is the quote from the Interview:
Q: Going back to Dragon Quest IX, other than the multiplayer aspect, what does the Nintendo DS platform bring to the Dragon Quest design that hasn’t been done before?

Horii: Keep in mind, it’s still in production so we can’t really say that anything’s finalized yet. First of all, it’s portable, so you can play it anywhere. And you can just spend a little bit of free time leveling up. The other one is that you have the two screens, so you can see the map and what’s currently happening at the same time. The one thing I want to point out is that you can play it both solo and in a group. Previously, you could level up and talk about how much fun it was, but with this one you can actually play with other people. The solo quest element will be typical for the Dragon Quest series, so you can have both.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200705/N07.0515.1758.14835.htm

Fuu

Aeana said:
That's what I find a bit worrisome. That heavy change doesn't bode well with the posterior lack of information.

Aeana

The way that's phrased is actually kind of worrying. If the single-player and multi-player games are actually the same game (like single-player and then co-op, but with the co-op in mind first and foremost), then it'll probably be DQ3-style create-a-party even for single-player. I really don't know if something like that would do very well in the west -- especially after DQ8, which was the most character-oriented game in the series.

Ponn

Banned
I'm still pessimistic about this game, really, REALLY wanted a HD next gen version. I will still buy it though. Hopefully the Single Player is still meats and potatoes, online is a nice distraction but this is still a portable system here.

farnham

Banned
Ponn01 said:
I'm still pessimistic about this game, really, REALLY wanted a HD next gen version. I will still buy it though. Hopefully the Single Player is still meats and potatoes, online is a nice distraction but this is still a portable system here.
Not going to happen.. If its console its going to be Wii..

soul

Wow, a huge surprise indeed. Very glad to hear it, though. Means a US version might be released this year.

Aeana said:
The way that's phrased is actually kind of worrying. If the single-player and multi-player games are actually the same game (like single-player and then co-op, but with the co-op in mind first and foremost), then it'll probably be DQ3-style create-a-party even for single-player. I really don't know if something like that would do very well in the west -- especially after DQ8, which was the most character-oriented game in the series.
I think the single player is likely going to be DQIII style, but personally, I don't have a problem with that.

Ponn01 said:

You'd think you'd be over it by now. It's only been over a year now.

Aeana

Magicpaint said:
I think the single player is likely going to be DQIII style, but personally, I don't have a problem with that.

Oh, I absolutely have no problems with it personally, either.
But I don't think that's what the majority of western players will want, and DQ is already struggling here. :\

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I raised it before a few months ago, but maybe DQIX is S-E's testing the waters for an online Dragon Quest.

I think if that happens my life will be officially over.

Also DQ being portable is probably the greatest gaming invention ever. I was able to actually finish DQ IV on the DS which even surprised me.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
No more interviews. I just want it to come out already.

Is DQ a series that usually comes out around the end of the year, or do you think its possible that it makes it out earlier (in Japan of course)

Aeana said:
Oh, I absolutely have no problems with it personally, either.
But I don't think that's what the majority of western players will want, and DQ is already struggling here. :\
Yeah, but I don't think that's the real problem. I think the western gamers warmed up to VIII because of the (at the time) high-end visuals and overall production values (and maybe the FFXII demo), but I think putting IX on DS means that they can't really position it in the same way. I guess they're just trying to test out how multi-player DQ can work and the DS is the ideal platform for them to try that out.

Aeana

schuelma said:
Is DQ a series that usually comes out around the end of the year, or do you think its possible that it makes it out earlier (in Japan of course)

DQ games generally come out during the second half, I suppose. DQ5 was 9/27, DQ6 12/9, DQ7 8/26, and DQ8 11/27.

Ponn

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
How come I don't see Aeana/ethelred/johntv/myself/etc upset about it?

I have an answer that I will keep to myself. Other then that the obvious "why wouldn't a group of people want a full fledged HD console version of DQ after playing IX". I know why its on the DS, alot of people, including you i'm sure, know why its on the DS and thats fine, I understand Square-Enix reason for doing it. Like I said i'm still going to buy it. I'm just getting the feeling its a step backwards from what I just played in DQ VIII. I don't feel i'm unjustified in that feeling, just a little pessimistic until I actually play it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
i'll be honest: i'm not sure if this encouraging or discouraging. i'm excited for this game but the "multiplayer" aspect scares me to death. i love innovation as much as the next guy but i'd prefer to keep my RPGs as a singular experience.

then again, this is the same company that punishes the gamer if they do not buy a strategy guide. god knows that they're going to make multiplayer-accessed-only content, too. (!!)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
and in no way do my previous remarks have anything to do with the platform. i actually think it will be a GOOD thing for it to be potentially restrained by the hardware (allowing for a better focus on story, which was noticeably lacking after an awesome VII).

soul

PantherLotus said:
god knows that they're going to make multiplayer-accessed-only content, too. (!!)

Pretty much confirmed, a lot of developers use this method in order to encourage online play.

Ponn01 said:
I have an answer that I will keep to myself. Other then that the obvious "why wouldn't a group of people want a full fledged HD console version of DQ after playing IX". I know why its on the DS, alot of people, including you i'm sure, know why its on the DS and thats fine, I understand Square-Enix reason for doing it. Like I said i'm still going to buy it. I'm just getting the feeling its a step backwards from what I just played in DQ VIII. I don't feel i'm unjustified in that feeling, just a little pessimistic until I actually play it.

Ponn01 Translation said:
You're all filthy ninthings! I am the one, TRUE, DQ fan. I only want what is best for the series (and for my favourite company, Sony). DQ demands, nay, deserves this!

Ah. I see now.

Right on the story aspect. DQ7 had a fantastic story and was a long damn game. DQ8 was great looking but the story was horrible.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GreenNight said:
Right on the story aspect. DQ7 had a fantastic story and was a long damn game. DQ8 was great looking but the story was horrible.

The shards thing eventually bit me on the ass though (I got lost and forgot where I was supposed to go and never went back and finished it). I was around 80 hours in, too (and nowhere close to finished!!) .

:|

Ponn

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Ah. I see now.

FFS thats the worst hyperbole/put words in mouth/skip over any and all points made comeback i've ever seen. God forgive someone tries to have a rational discussion on GAF anymore. I haven't said one damn thing about Nintendo yet I MUST be trolling Nintendo because I have my doubts about a game. Some doubts brought up by other people in the same damn thread.

Top Bottom