• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 announced for 3DS

Caronte

XTsOcfV.jpg

Kamiya influence too strong

What's that?

Nudull

Banned
It's a monster recruiting/battling game aimed at kids. If you don't like those kinds of games (Pokemon) then you may not enjoy this either. The main thing DQM has over Pokemon is that you can deploy multiple monsters at once (i.e., not 1-on-1 battling) and you can build your monsters with a skill system.

Well, it does help that I like Pokemon, so I guess I should try it out. Thanks! :)

Alrus

They took their sweet ass time to announce this one.

Yeah... No.

Huh, kinda yes? The reason you're not seeing any of the 3DS DQ game in the west is because both DQM:J2 and DQVI bombed really really hard in the west, so did the original DQMJ and DQV.

Huh, kinda yes? The reason you're not seeing any of the 3DS DQ game in the west is because both DQM:J2 and DQVI bombed really really hard in the west, so did the original DQMJ and DQV.

This is a better, and more complete, explanation of what happened. I don't think, though, DQV bombed in the West.

Well it sold badly enough that Square didn't feel like releasing DQVI DS in the west and Nintendo had to step in.

Nintendo also published DQIX on DS seven months earlier. They clearly had a multi-game deal in place. It wasn't necessarily due to the performance of the DQIV and V remakes.

Well it sold badly enough that Square didn't feel like releasing DQVI DS in the west and Nintendo had to step in.

Yeah but, claiming DQM Joker 2 bombing as the reason SE will 'never release a DQ title in the west again' is a bit of a stretch. If Dragon Quest IX bombed (which it didn't), then it would make sense.

Aeana

This is a better, and more complete, explanation of what happened. I don't think, though, DQV bombed in the West.

DQ5 sold very poorly, but it was somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Basically, SE shipped 60k copies nationwide, and it took almost a year for that stock to sell out before they put another shipment out. The kicker is that the game was "extremely rare" in most places because of how spread out that stock was.

With that said, though, SE did punt DQ6 to Nintendo, and sales of DQ4/DQ5 were a factor in that.

RpgN

DQMJ1 was tons of fun. I've started on part 2 and that seemed decent too and possibly better than 1. 3 on the 3DS with improved scope and graphics could be really good.

We're getting this for sure, right? :(

catmario

DQ8 3DS version info -> DQB for PS platform announced -> DQMJ3 for 3DS announced -> Then... What's next?

SQEX is playing ping pong with PS and Nintendo.

Honestly surprised they'd continue using the Joker brand specifically.
Still awesome to get new DQ reveals every week. So next week should be DQH2 and two weeks from now is still a surprise, right?

catmario

Will there any chance for meet Re-Re-Remake of Dragon Quest V again? I know DQV is one of the highest popular series, but They remade for PS2, second remade for NDS(And it ported to iOS/Droid recently). If Third remake gonna really happen, I would surprise on that.

Alrus

Yeah but, claiming DQM Joker 2 bombing as the reason SE will 'never release a DQ title in the west again' is a bit of a stretch. If Dragon Quest IX bombed (which it didn't), then it would make sense.

It's the reason you will not see most spin-offs localized ever again yeah.

Vandole

I'll be honest, I want this more than DQ 7. I'll keep the short and curly's crossed for it, though my hopes aren't high.

FStubbs

Funny thing is I bet those games do better now. JRPG fans are starved right now.

I still think DQ11 is PS4/PS3/maybe Vita.

Figured this would be the next announcement, but I actually am a little surprised that they're continuing Joker and not moving on from that.

Same. Even saying the words "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2" is really clumsy. They may as well have moved onto DQM3 or some other subtitled DQM game.

Highly doubt that. Joker 2 bombing is the main reason why the west hasn't been getting any DQ games recently. I doubt we'll ever see a DQM game (especially a joker one) again stateside.

Joker 2 bombed really hard. I don't think that's specially why Square Enix won't release DQ games, but I suspect it's why Nintendo didn't pick up the slack and release the missing DQ games on 3DS.

BTW, Joker 2 is a great game and everyone should go buy it while it's still dirt cheap.

It's the reason you will not see most spin-offs localized ever again yeah.

I thought you meant DQ games in general. That said, Verendus claims we'll be seeing all of the Dragon Quest games on PS4/PS3/Vita in the west, both announced and unannounced.

Glass Rebel

I really disliked the fact that we didn't get the Professional version of DQMJ2 (and the protagonist's design compared to Joker 1) but this probably doesn't matter anyway since I'm in Yurop.

Can we jus get DQ7 and DQ8 ffs.

Why would that be in Jump?

Rocky

Banned
Same. Even saying the words "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2" is really clumsy. They may as well have moved onto DQM3 or some other subtitled DQM game.

Joker 2 bombed really hard. I don't think that's specially why Square Enix won't release DQ games, but I suspect it's why Nintendo didn't pick up the slack and release the missing DQ games on 3DS.

BTW, Joker 2 is a great game and everyone should go buy it while it's still dirt cheap.

The only reason Joker 2 bombed was because it wasn't the Pro version that had been released in Japan at the time. Many people were pissed and boycotted it. I bought it though, and it wasn't that bad.

Links_fantasy

These DQ spinoffs could be profitable even if they only brought them over as eshop only releases. The DQ Monster series and the Slime series has far less text than the mainline entries. The 3DS also doesn't have the piracy issues that plagued the DS for its last few years, and has shown to have a dedicated jrpg fan base across Europe and America. If DQ VII & VIII come over and sell as good as Bravely Default then I think their is hope these spinoffs may come over.

The only reason Joker 2 bombed was because it wasn't the Pro version that had been released in Japan at the time. Many people were pissed and boycotted it. I bought it though, and it wasn't that bad.

When has people boycotting games ever affected sales in any meaningful way?

Joker 2 failed because nobody cares about Dragon Quest here, it was released after the 3DS with hardly any promotion, and because the DS had piracy problems.

These DQ spinoffs could be profitable even if they only brought them over as eshop only releases. The DQ Monster series and the Slime series has far less text than the mainline entries. The 3DS also doesn't have the piracy issues that plagued the DS for its last few years, and has shown to have a dedicated jrpg fan base across Europe and America. If DQ VII & VIII come over and sell as good as Bravely Default then I think their is hope these spinoffs may come over.

You're probably right; an eshop-only release would take a lot of the risk out of bringing these over. Still probably won't happen.

Alrus

I thought you meant DQ games in general. That said, Verendus claims we'll be seeing all of the Dragon Quest games on PS4/PS3/Vita in the west, both announced and unannounced.

Well so far the PS4/PS3/Vita games are "new" type of spin-offs, so they're probably seeing potential for them (whether it's there or not, we'll see). Most 3DS games are sequel to games previously released and that did not sell after multiple tries on NDS, so there probably think that there's no potential left for that kind of stuff anymore.

butman

The design doesn't look 100% Akira Toriyama anymore. It look like fanmade.

Also, after seeing this i wonder how DQ design will be after Akira Toriyama can't do it anymore. At least FF universe have different artists behind it.

It's funny how, based on main character designs, the Monsters games were clearly aimed at young children during the GBC area but seem to target older kids since the DS days (angsty teen design all the way)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hmm, surprised they're keeping with the Joker branding and not going with something new.

Considering J2 sold over a million in Japan do not really see any sort of reason to rebrand it. As its not like there was some sort of negative stigma attached with the name.

It's funny how, based on main character designs, the Monsters games were clearly aimed at young children during the GBC area but seem to target older kids since the DS days (angsty teen design all the way)

Its not that, its more just designs / tastes change. Its the same with anything artwork related.

Not good enough to play text heavy RPGs. Is this going to be that?

Not really, though most of the reading stuff comes from knowing what the skills do. The story itself things were fairly straight forward I think with Joker 2. At least I dont recall anything where one would get stuck?

Top Bottom