• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 announced for 3DS

It's funny how, based on main character designs, the Monsters games were clearly aimed at young children during the GBC area but seem to target older kids since the DS days (angsty teen design all the way)
Really? I perfers the old MC designs but the new old does not feels like it's trying to attract preteens to me. Its just a nice design.

Alrus

It's funny how, based on main character designs, the Monsters games were clearly aimed at young children during the GBC area but seem to target older kids since the DS days (angsty teen design all the way)

It's just some pretty classic looking Toriyama artwork, nothing to do with angst at all.

Umm, Double, Triple and even rotation battles all exist in some/most of the main series Pokemon games.

It's not really the same. Nearly all battles in the Pokemon games are still 1-1. The small remainder that aren't, aside from competitive meta whatever, are kinda crappy; the battle system in Pokemon isn't really built for multi-monster battle, and never felt right for it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I can hope for no monster sizes again? :(
I couldn't get into these games since they introduced that mechanic.
I get its for balance but it really ruins my fun of slowly grinding out my perfect team.

Boogiepop

It's not really the same. Nearly all battles in the Pokemon games are still 1-1. The small remainder that aren't, aside from competitive meta whatever, are kinda crappy; the battle system in Pokemon isn't really built for multi-monster battle, and never felt right for it.

The games are actually pretty much balanced around double battles since they were introduced. Triple/rotation not so much, and yeah, to be fair, they don't put in anywhere near enough in single-player.

Also, neat. I'm down for this. Would I be correct in thinking I probably don't need to have played Joker 1 and 2 for this? (It's obviously not out yet, but I'd imagine we can speculate). I've played through the first remake on 3DS and have the second one, and I'd definitely be willing to grab this one as well.

Can somebody give me a good breakdown of what these games are like? I know they're monster battlers but what are the mechanics like? What distinguishes the Joker games?

In depth answers greatly appreciated.

Bakkus

I agree that 1-1 battles are much more fun, but It doesn't change that double style battles are still a part of the game. How does this work in these DQM games? Never played any of them.

Joqu

I can't see a localization for this happening considering the amount of games they have skipped already so I don't want to get too excited

But I'd definitely look forward to this if they'd bring it over

Then again considering they are supposedly bringing over 7 and 8 maybe there's a chance... :/

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm hoping that the game will look better than the two previous DQM remakes on 3DS. They are so ugly to look at.

You didnt play DQM 2 did you? Since that game was very nice looking and had some pretty crazy stuff in it. Not to mention gameplay was fantastic also.

The first one was a bit too cut and paste for some parts with the "randomized" dungeons, but they went all out with the second.

Spiegel

You didnt play DQM 2 did you? Since that game was very nice looking and had some pretty crazy stuff in it. Not to mention gameplay was fantastic also.

The first one was a bit too cut and paste for some parts with the "randomized" dungeons, but they went all out with the second.

I have not played them, they haven't been released outside of Japan.

I just remember looking at screens of the game, probably the first one, with empty greenish fields, and thinking it looked like DQM:Joker 2 at higher resolution.

If you say the actual games look great I believe you.

I think I know what he means. Something about them feels sterile. Like the Joker games were emulating DQVIII visual style (the best way the DS could anyway). 2r is better though. Better colors.
... Oh OK?

Anyway still hoping the game make it outside Japan, digital copy only can still do good sale man =(

Edit

The amount of replies and discussion is so little compared to DQB, SE we still want this game too don't just bring DQB to the west bring everything!

Zyrox

I remember playing Joker 2 and really enjoying it. It was my second DQ game after DQIX. When I was done with it I thought to myself: "I'm totally gonna buy future DQ/M titles!" Well, that worked out great :/
Hope at least VII and VIII will make it over one day...

Is it worth playing Joker 1 for any reason or should i skip straight to 2? I have both on the DS i think but never got around to em for some reason...

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
What's the difference between DQM & DQM Joker btw? The previous 2 DQM games were remakes of the GB games right? But DQM Joker 1&2 were on DS?

Links_fantasy

If games like Stories of Seasons and Rune Factory IV can sell 100K and 160K in the U.S. Respectfully, then surely DQ games like these could get similar numbers. I don't know what SE expects sales wise though.

What's the difference between DQM & DQM Joker btw? The previous 2 DQM games were remakes of the GB games right? But DQM Joker 1&2 were on DS?
There aren't really any major differences. The DQMJ games are branded a little differently (they have their own special logo compared to the DQM1/2/CH which use the standard DQ logo) though, but in practice they're essentially follow up titles in the Monsters series. And yes the first two DQM games (originally on GBC) were remade on 3DS while the Joker games started on the DS.

bounchfx

I absolutely LOVED DQM for game boy, but for some reason I never bothered to get into Joker after seeing pretty eh reviews. 2 is worth getting though it sounds like? might pick it up for my 3ds since it looks rather cheap. I really hope 3 comes to USA.

TreIII

Excellent~!

Though, after the DQM2 remake being a bit of a let-down after Terry's game, I'm hoping this new one will stand to impress and introduce some more new things.

Vandole

Is it worth playing Joker 1 for any reason or should i skip straight to 2? I have both on the DS i think but never got around to em for some reason...

Joker 1 has its problems. Travelling in the game is a pain, and the pacing is a little rough. The second quarter of the game was pretty dull, and there never seemed like there were enough variety of monsters to catch or breed. Joker 2 has a much better hub, and a fun sense of exploration that the original lacks. Plus, there were some neat additions to the combat.

I will give Joker 1 that it's story is much more interesting than the sequel. Joker 2's story was completely forgettable. It was bad even by DQ standards. So I wouldn't completely write it off.

Aeana

Umm, Double, Triple and even rotation battles all exist in some/most of the main series Pokemon games.
I'm aware that those types of battles exist, but they are not the norm in single player. Almost every battle you fight is still 1on1.

fates

Somewhat off the topic here is there is a reason there has never been a soundtrack released for the Joker series? All the other Monster games got soundtracks but not Joker. Or am I completely missing something?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This is now the 5th 3DS DQ game I gotta cry over not getting localized ;_;

I really liked Joker 2, its my first an only DQM game an I want more!

I agree that 1-1 battles are much more fun, but It doesn't change that double style battles are still a part of the game. How does this work in these DQM games? Never played any of them.
Don't think of DQMonster games like Pokémon. Think of them as DQ games/traditional-ish jrpgs. Instead of a team of human heroes ya got a team of monsters. Sure there's a collecting element to it an breeding/fusing but in terms of battles they aren't like poké-multi battles.

KiTA

I'm aware that those types of battles exist, but they are not the norm in single player. Almost every battle you fight is still 1on1.

Yeah, the non 1on1 fights are gimmicks, they're not used anywhere outside of multiplayer -- and the occasional NPC training you how to use them in them multiplayer.

I vastly prefer DQM's battle engine to Pokemon's.

Pity we won't get this. :(

Bitanator

I bought both Joker games and could tell that they're fantastic games, but the battle theme is the most abrasive, screechy, dissonant piece of shit I've ever heard, which completely killed the games for me. Which is a shame since those games have really nice tunes otherwise (I remember a really nice overworld theme) and the DQ series having great music in general.

I really wonder what happened. It's so unbelievably awful.

https://youtu.be/KpLSvR36JKE

You crazy. That battle theme is great, the original one of the GBC games bring back super nostalgia.

This is now the 5th 3DS DQ game I gotta cry over not getting localized ;_;

I really liked Joker 2, its my first an only DQM game an I want more!

Don't think of DQMonster games like Pokémon. Think of them as DQ games/traditional-ish jrpgs. Instead of a team of human heroes ya got a team of monsters. Sure there's a collecting element to it an breeding/fusing but in terms of battles they aren't like poké-multi battles.

6th. Rocket Slime 3 also. :(

So we have...

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3
Dragon Quest 7
Dragon Quest Monsters
Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Dragon Quest 10 (this is an odd one due to it being via streaming on the eShop and also obtained as a code in a retail box)
Theatrhythm Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3

In release order if I'm correct.

Edit: 7, forgot DQ10 which I added.

Edit: Umm, 8! XD Forgot Theatrhythm...

KiTA

I wonder why they skipped Caravan Heart Remake and went for a new game.

I imagine this won't have the Roguelike mechanics of the main DQM series, either. Pity.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wonder why they skipped Caravan Heart Remake and went for a new game.

I imagine this won't have the Roguelike mechanics of the main DQM series, either. Pity.

Thats most likely a good thing since the roguelike stuff in the first DQM remake was pretty horrible. As mentioned before felt way too cut and paste. Much prefer the preset nicer designed areas, to bland looking CnP jobs in an attempt to do randomized maps.

Top Bottom