• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 announced for 3DS

Official logo:

wcUzagZ.jpg

Last year Yuji Horii said that a new DQM was in development. A Jump leak just revealed it's a new Joker title. Not much info right now.

Thanks to Aibo:

https://twitter.com/aibo_ac7/status/621239602217512962?s=09

--- Update ----

The 3DS sequel sees players raising and battling monsters. According to series creator Yuji Horii, it will have new systems and monsters, as well as new methods of correspondence.

Get the details from Jump below:
Characters

Protagonist (Designed by Akira Toriyama) – An impressive male character with a cool look and a red scarf. What in the world is that mysterious device on both of his ears…?
Nochora – A mysterious creature in the world of Dragon Quest Monsters 3. He’s a new monster that will appear in various scenes.

Yuji Horii Comment

“For the latest Monsters, it’s Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3, a completely new entry in the series after a while. For the current announcement, I only have an illustration of the hero and logo, as well as a mysterious creature (laughs), but in addition to new systems, new monsters, and new communications, we’re diligently developing the game with all sorts of stuff.”

A release date was not announced.

From: http://gematsu.com/2015/07/dragon-quest-monsters-joker-3-announced-3ds#4sfg7qkqR0w8oHGi.99

wrowa

Handheld Dragon Quest announcements really aren't fun anymore. By now, it's just a huge pile of games that won't ever get a western release.

Interesting that they are doing another Joker, though. I thought that sub-series was done.

Aeana

Figured this would be the next announcement, but I actually am a little surprised that they're continuing Joker and not moving on from that.

Escalario

Banned
Thought that Joker series was dead and they would make a Monsters 3 instead. Well, not gonna bitch about it. The world needs more DQM games one way or the other.

Substitute "world" for "Japan" to get a more realistic post.

Handheld Dragon Quest announcements really aren't fun anymore. By now, it's just a huge pile of games that won't ever get a western release.

Interesting that they are doing another Joker, though. I thought that sub-series was done.

Well, DQM Joker is the second most-successful DQM ever, after Terry's Wonderland. It also sold quite consistently with the sequel and the expansion.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
As expected - hope we get it in the west now that DQ7/8 have been more or less confirmed.

Reknoc

sick headphones bro.

That reminds me, I should probably look into picking up a US version of Joker 2 as I don't think that came out over here.

edit: wait yes it did, and looking at the cover I even remember seeing this in stores.... never mind me.

duckroll

The next announcement will probably be more details on DQH2 I think. It's been a while since that stealth announcement, so it's about time they reminded people that it's coming soon-ish.

MLH

Cool. So this may come along also
after 7 & 8

Highly unlikely, even on the massive install base of the DS the Joker games sold poorly. Joker 1 published by SE bombed and Nintendo brought over Joker 2 (as well as DQ6) which also bombed. It's unlikely either of these publishers will bother providing resources to localise Joker 3... I'm still doubtful DQ7&8 are coming even after what Horii said, it seemed like a mistake.

wrowa

Cool. So this may come along also
after 7 & 8

I wouldn't get my hopes up. By all accounts, Joker 2 bombed terribly and I don't see them giving it another shot, especially since SE seems to be very cautious with 3DS DQ releases anyway.

Except if Youkai Watch turns out to be a huge success in the west that revitalizes the monster collecting genre, I guess.

AniHawk

The next announcement will probably be more details on DQH2 I think. It's been a while since that stealth announcement, so it's about time they reminded people that it's coming soon-ish.

awesome. i thought we would never get rocket slime 3.

Oh, the hero is from the first game! Based on his look, it seems the world will be more futuristic... Can't wait to see the screens.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

- DQ8 3Ds info
- DQ Builders PS announcement
- DQMJ3 3DS announcement
- DQ Heroes 2 PS info
- ???

is that right?

Hatchtag

Banned
I really liked Joker 1 but couldn't get into Joker 2 at all. Was my experience normal amongst fans of the series or had my tastes maybe just changed or something?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
OH HELLS YES! 100+ hours of my life is going to vanish yet again...

I really liked Joker 1 but couldn't get into Joker 2 at all. Was my experience normal amongst fans of the series or had my tastes maybe just changed or something?

2 was way better. Think its your tastes must have changed. The only downside of 2 was the shitty MC.

duckroll

- DQ8 3Ds info
- DQ Builders PS announcement
- DQMJ3 3DS announcement
- DQ Heroes 2 PS info
- ???

is that right?

I think so. There's really no way DQXI will be announced via Jump exclusively, especially since it'll be leaked days in advance. So if the final announcement really is DQXI, there should be something happening in the last week of July. We'll see.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Did you play Vanilla DQM 2 or the updated JPN release ? I wasnt the biggest fan of the 2nd game either and had hoped we would get the Professional version or whatever it was called since they fixed and added a lot of stuff.

They took their sweet time with Joker 3 though, so i have high expectations.

Aeana

Dragon Quest this dragon quest that... They're really scared of creating new ip's arent they?

They're in the middle of a string of announcements for the series's 30th anniversary celebration. We've just gone through several years with very few Dragon Quest releases at all.

I think so. There's really no way DQXI will be announced via Jump exclusively, especially since it'll be leaked days in advance. So if the final announcement really is DQXI, there should be something happening in the last week of July. We'll see.

DQ HD PS4 might be the last announcement.

Sandfox

Well it looks like it did end up being for the 3DS rather than the Vita like some were guessing.

So now we just wait and see what comes next.

Didn't Joker 2 release months after 3DS launched in NA? I can't imagine NoA had high sales expectations for it. It was cool that they published it at all.

Hatchtag

Banned
Did you play Vanilla DQM 2 or the updated JPN release ? I wasnt the biggest fan of the 2nd game either and had hoped we would get the Professional version or whatever it was called since they fixed and added a lot of stuff.

They took their sweet time with Joker 3 though, so i have high expectations.

I played whichever version of the game was released in the US, which I believe was the standard one.

magnetic

I bought both Joker games and could tell that they're fantastic games, but the battle theme is the most abrasive, screechy, dissonant piece of shit I've ever heard, which completely killed the games for me. Which is a shame since those games have really nice tunes otherwise (I remember a really nice overworld theme) and the DQ series having great music in general.

I really wonder what happened. It's so unbelievably awful.

https://youtu.be/KpLSvR36JKE

Aeana

I bought both Joker games and could tell that they're fantastic games, but the battle theme is the most abrasive, screechy, dissonant piece of shit I've ever heard, which completely killed the games for me. Which is a shame since those games have really nice tunes otherwise.

I really wonder what happened. It's so unbelievably awful.

https://youtu.be/KpLSvR36JKE

All of the Dragon Quest Monsters games have the same battle theme.
All the way back to the first game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_g-lqFvxqg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Cant wait to see all of the cheaters again in street pass. D:

Is the Joker series any good for a casual DQ fan like myself?

Its pretty awesome for a monster collecting game and the system of raising, transferring stats etc is pretty deep if you really want to get into it. But even for casual play the game is highly enjoyable and there will be tons of monsters you will recognize from the series. :) Though dont expect anything too deep story wise as the narrative is pretty paper thin.

Aeana

Is the Joker series any good for a casual DQ fan like myself?

It's a monster recruiting/battling game aimed at kids. If you don't like those kinds of games (Pokemon) then you may not enjoy this either. The main thing DQM has over Pokemon is that you can deploy multiple monsters at once (i.e., not 1-on-1 battling) and you can build your monsters with a skill system.

Top Bottom