• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest music composer, Koichi Sugiyama, world’s oldest videogame composer.

horuhe

Dragon Quest music composer, Koichi Sugiyama, world’s oldest videogame composer by Guinness World Records.

2101433l.jpg

2077905_201609050935744001473065991c.jpg

2077905_201609050935856001473065991c.jpg

Koichi Sugiyama, the music composer of Dragon Quest game series, has been certified by Guinness World Records, as the oldest game music composer. (85).
Sugiyama has been working on Dragon Quest, since the series launched in 1986. He's even currently working on the latest game in development, Dragon Quest XI, planned to launch in 2017.

Source: Oricon

Jackano

Thought he'd died for a moment.

Anyway, great composer, scummy political views.

Same. Thread title should tell "enters Guinness Book" because you assume he died :/

Although it's a bit dumb, is there the same world record for every job in the world? Let alone for every musical genre too?
Oldest game music composer
Oldest movie music composer
Oldest movie director
Oldest movie visual effects director

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm glad he inspiried Uematsu and other's like him, but man his political views are f'in terrible.

I wouldn't even call them political views, it's reality.

Same. Thread title should tell "enters Guinness Book" because you assume he died :/

Although it's a bit dumb, is there the same world record for every job in the world? Let alone for every musical genre too?
Oldest game music composer
Oldest movie music composer
Oldest movie director
Oldest movie visual effects director

If there is for voice actor, June Foray (Rocket J. Squirrel, Granny in Looney Tunes) has to win it, being 99 this month! o_O

DQ File Select theme has been my wake up alarm for as long as I've had a phone with a customisable alarm. Man is a total legend.

Trojita

Can you elaborate? Would be interested to know more.

He's basically "Japan did nothing wrong during WW2" Guy.

In 2007, the United States House of Representatives passed House Resolution 121, seeking an official apology from the Government of Japan regarding so-called "comfort women", women who were used as sexual slaves by Japanese soldiers during World War II. Sugiyama was opposed to this resolution, stating that he believed the evidence surrounding the Nanking Massacre and comfort women was selective in nature. His first attempt at publishing his opposition (a full-page letter titled "The Facts") was initially rejected by the Washington Post and New York Times. However, the Washington Post would eventually agree to publish it.

Shifty1897

Yeah, just did some Monday morning Googling of the guy.

Yikes, maybe he should just stick to making music and stay out of politics.

Skelter

Banned

He's basically "Japan did nothing wrong during WW2" Guy.

In 2007, the United States House of Representatives passed House Resolution 121, seeking an official apology from the Government of Japan regarding so-called "comfort women", women who were used as sexual slaves by Japanese soldiers during World War II. Sugiyama was opposed to this resolution, stating that he believed the evidence surrounding the Nanking Massacre and comfort women was selective in nature. His first attempt at publishing his opposition (a full-page letter titled "The Facts") was initially rejected by the Washington Post and New York Times. However, the Washington Post would eventually agree to publish it.

Well...shit. I can separate the work from the man though but still, definitely something I'll be looking into.

Amazing composer. Awful person.

But his music really is so good. Dragon Quest is what he gets the most attention for, his score for The Ideon: Be Invoked is my personal favorite.

I just wish it wasn't sullied by his disgusting views.

Anyone who denies that the Nanking Massacre ever happened has to be a bit special in the head. That shit is nightmare inducing.

guyssorry

One of my favorites/one of the greatest. DQ4 boss music is so great. Glad he is being recognized.

Edit: I never knew about his crazy political views. Now, I am off to go research.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'll never understand what drives people to go beyond glossing over history and into insisting details or entire events never happened.

The man is a wonderfully talented composer, either way.

Pride. The same reason everybody finds it hard to admit anything embarrassing.

A fucking legend. Truly an inspiration to his craft. He is the reason I started learning how to play music. I wish I was half as talented as he is.

Hell, I wish I was 1/10th as talented.

Anyway. As good as his Dragon Quest stuff is, I STRONGLY recomend his Ideon work. That's his true master piece.

Eila

The Ideon kind of sucks but it's fun just for the music and the crazy epilogue movie.
That's about all I can say about him as I'm not into Dragon Quest. He apparently composed EVO music, but it never really catched me. Seemed standard SNES RPG fare.

colinp

Banned
Can we celebrate his music in this thread and ignore his political views? Maybe make another thread about his political views if you feel the need to.

The Ideon kind of sucks but it's fun just for the music and the crazy epilogue movie.
That's about all I can say about him as I'm not into Dragon Quest. He apparently composed EVO music, but it never really catched me. Seemed standard SNES RPG fare.

TV show is whatever. Be Invoked though. That's a movie. 10/10 masterpiece that I'll never EVERR watch again.

KyleCross

Can we celebrate his music in this thread and ignore his political views? Maybe make another thread about his political views if you feel the need to.

Sorry, but no. Man deserves scrutiny for some of his beliefs. To only celebrate him and throw a sheet over the elephant in the room would be wrong.

Sorry, but no. Man deserves scrutiny for some of his beliefs. To only celebrate him and throw a sheet over the elephant in the room would be wrong.

Except these threads always turn into god damn debate on this site over said beliefs. He has a stupid opinion, get the fuck over it. Him denying banking is shitty but ultimately it doesn't matter. Honestly, it's gotten to the point where this shit is a topic derailer.

I know there is a reason why his politics are terrible, anyone have a link? I like his music, but can never remember the other part.

Raw64life

I read the thread title and before clicking on it wondered how many posts it would take for someone to derail the thread and make it about his political views. The answer was 1. One post.

Kind of a pointless achievement but his music is amazing. It was part of the soundtrack to my childhood and even Dragon Quest VIII which I played as an adult had an incredible soundtrack which shows me that it's not just nostalgia.

Hopefully there's a successor lined up.

daegan

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

You can't have an opinion on fact. You may not think a Taco Bell burrito tastes good, but you can't say "Taco Bell doesn't serve burritos." Obviously they do.

And if you took out a full-page ad in a widely-read newspaper trying to make the case that Taco Bell doesn't serve burritos, you would look like a jackass. As Sugiyama and other negationists do on the world stage.

Did you skip the Odepn battle scene? Because that's the main one that sticks with me.

The whole soundtracks good, but yeah that one is especially good. Best version of the main theme.

God damn this soundtrack is so good. Oh man.

And last I heard, he was grooming Hayato Matsuo. Matsuo sort of has his own stuff going on though, so not sure if he'd necessarily be his "successor"

I love him for his music but I can't ever after with his political stances.

Anyway congrats for always having been the oldest composer for video games!

Trojita

Except these threads always turn into god damn debate on this site over said beliefs. He has a stupid opinion, get the fuck over it. Him denying banking is shitty but ultimately it doesn't matter. Honestly, it's gotten to the point where this shit is a topic derailer.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it gets setup as a topic derailer. He's had a long career but also uses his fame to spread his inaccurate beliefs. And yes it does matter, are you going to tell me it doesn't matter if people deny the holocaust as well? People should just "get the fuck over it" eh?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Now I got the Dragon Quest title theme stuck in my head. Classic.

In 2007, the United States House of Representatives passed House Resolution 121, seeking an official apology from the Government of Japan regarding so-called "comfort women"

This kind of stuff always seemed hollow and pointless to me. At this point, the Government's all completely different people. It's ultimately, "Oh yeah, sorry for that bullshit my predecessors did that had nothing to do with me". The US wasn't even the victim of those crimes. It's all just bizarre. I'mma go back to ignoring politics.

Top Bottom