• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Sword , Gundam 0079 new screens

grandjedi6 said:
Its stupid to wish for DQX to come out for any system when DQIX hasn't even come out yet.
monitorslapB.gif

That image would be great if the wrong arm wasn't coming out the other side.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
citrus lump said:
That image would be great if the wrong arm wasn't coming out the other side.

sigh...I'm getting tired of this arguement, I should just recreate the GIF myself.

Jammy

Banned
That Gundam game looks solid model-wise. And I'm anticipating DQS a lot just because I couldn't really get into DQVIII. The combat just seemed so slow and dull. I'm really glad you can shield, cast spells to hit back guys, etc. in DQS. Oh, and that female is much hotter than Jessica. :)

arcader

Banned
ok -

1.) ill likely buy both

2.) I am VERY dissapointed in the visuals :(

The gundam game looks like a Wii version of Crossfire - without the PS3 GFX :(

It reminds me of Wreckless going from XBOX to PS2....

ethelred

Man, Dragon Quest Swords looks fantastic. Love the visuals.

Jasoco said:
Is Swords a full fledged DQ RPG? Or some sort of game I won't enjoy? What exactly is it?

No idea what you would enjoy or what you wouldn't, but it is an RPG, and it is pretty full and substantial from everything we've been seeing and learning from it (though it's a spinoff, natch, not a traditional game).

The game design, story, music, and character/monster design are all being done by the main series team. There's full voice acting for the story. There are three party members that join you throughout the game and fight alongside with you.

From what we know of the gameplay... Combat's more action-based, naturally -- you use the motions of the controller to make sword slashes at an enemy, while using the nunchuk to block attacks when you're defending. You also get access to standard DQ magic spells which you can cast in combat via a pointer. There are chain/combo attacks you can pull off and there's some sort of overgauge to do special attacks. You can also upgrade your weapons with a variety of elemental infusions to do different attacks.

You gain experience points after battles and level up normally to increase hp/mp and the different standard stats. Movement in the dungeons is on rails, though there still seem to be multiple paths you can take.

Jammy

Banned
arcader said:
ok -

1.) ill likely buy both

2.) I am VERY dissapointed in the visuals :(

The gundam game looks like a Wii version of Crossfire - without the PS3 GFX :(

It reminds me of Wreckless going from XBOX to PS2....

Why the long face? There's definitely not a $350 difference in the graphics of the two games.

ethelred said:
Man, Dragon Quest Swords looks fantastic. Love the visuals.

No idea what you would enjoy or what you wouldn't, but it is an RPG, and it is pretty full and substantial from everything we've been seeing and learning from it (though it's a spinoff, natch, not a traditional game).

The game design, story, music, and character/monster design are all being done by the main series team. There's full voice acting for the story. There are three party members that join you throughout the game and fight alongside with you.

From what we know of the gameplay... Combat's more action-based, naturally -- you use the motions of the controller to make sword slashes at an enemy, while using the nunchuk to block attacks when you're defending. You also get access to standard DQ magic spells which you can cast in combat via a pointer. There are chain/combo attacks you can pull off and there's some sort of overgauge to do special attacks. You can also upgrade your weapons with a variety of elemental infusions to do different attacks.

You gain experience points after battles and level up normally to increase hp/mp and the different standard stats. Movement in the dungeons is on rails, though there still seem to be multiple paths you can take.
That's not true from what I understand. You use the WiiMote for everything. Slashes, projectiles (aim at screen) and blocks (aim at screen while holding a button, I guess "A", this brings up the transparent shield).

1-D_FTW

mr_nothin said:
LOL
Gundam looks almost as good as it does on PS3 (not that it LOOKS GOOD though)

Jammy said:
Why the long face? There's definitely not a $350 difference in the graphics of the two games.

Go watch the movies at Gametrailers and say that.

It's got the charm of a DS game.

Mudhoney

I'm wondering if the slashes in DGS use just motion detecting, or if it uses the sensor bar to tell where on the screen the slash should go, rather than just the angle. In the former case I don't think there would be much freedom to attack where you want, and in the latter case you might not be able to swing very fast, and it will take concentration to get it to slice where you want. It will be interesting to see how they handled this.

Mudhoney

AntMurda said:
DGS has no widescreen

Really pathetic. No buy.

I've read most of this thread I'm not seeing where that has been proven. I hope this isn't like the RE4 Wii Edition thread where people assumed widescreen was out because of some 4:3 screenshots.

AntMurda

Unfortunately it's rumored, and it is a valid concern considering some of the exclusive Wi games that are coming out 4:3 only. WTF.. is wrong with these lazy developers.

arcader

Banned
Jammy said:

The Gundam game looks like an N64 title next to the PS3 version....its so obvious too since its the same 0 day war era designs and environments...

AntMurda said:
Unfortunately it's rumored, and it is a valid concern considering some of the exclusive Wi games that are coming out 4:3 only. WTF.. is wrong with these lazy developers.

I kinda remember widescreen pics of DQS though. WTF is going on?

Mudhoney

AntMurda said:
Are there any big games that have not been released that are confirmed to lack widescreen? The ones out now that I know of are Trauma Center, Wario Ware, and.. well I guess those are the only two I own that lack it.

Mudhoney

AntMurda said:
Trauma Center, Korinpa, Wario Ware, Fire Emblem (Nintendo better fix that for NA release), are all 4:3 only
Trauma Center and Wario Ware both rely heavily on 2d animations and I think I heard those kind of games aren't as easy to add widescreen to, so I guess being near launch was why it wasn't there. Fire Emblem is a straight up GameCube port, so that's probably the reason for that. Korinpa is fully 3D and made for Wii, so it probably doesn't have as much of an excuse other than it isn't a very "big" title. I don't think we have to worry much about Dragon Quest Swords or any other high profile 3D games, but I guess I haven't heard the rumors you mentioned.

There are a lot of JP Wii games that aren't 16:9 compatible like Bleach, Naruto, and Gundam SCAD hammers. It's pretty lame playing those games on my HDTV and have those silly black bars regardless of stretching or not.

Top Bottom