• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII 3DS Releases on September 16, 2016 in NA

So I never played this when it originally came out nor have I ever played a dragon quest game but I'm thinking of jumping in with this one. Is this a good entry to jump in with and does it really take a couple lifetimes to finish?

Good place to jump in and apparently 3DS version is faster

Mingledorff

Neo Member
So I never played this when it originally came out nor have I ever played a dragon quest game but I'm thinking of jumping in with this one. Is this a good entry to jump in with and does it really take a couple lifetimes to finish?
The 3DS game makes the intro quicker. And did a lot of tweaks but yeah, it's a long game. I put well over 120 hours in it in one playthru on ps1. Great game, one of my favorites of all time.

Lothar

Banned
If the time sounds daunting for a first time experience in the series, Dragon Quest 5 is about 90 hours shorter. (It took me 30 hours while DQ7 took me 120 hours.) You can easily get that game and have it beat by the time Dragon Quest 7 releases if you want to test the series out with an appetizer.

EricB

If the time sounds daunting for a first time experience in the series, Dragon Quest 5 is about 90 hours shorter. (It took me 30 hours while DQ7 took me 120 hours.) You can easily get that game and have it beat by the time Dragon Quest 7 releases if you want to test the series out with an appetizer.

Personally, I would recommend against playing DQV in the next couple weeks before VII. Dragonquest is my favorite series of all time and I love every game in the franchise. However, every time I try to play two DQ games back to back I get burnt out. Though each game does have its own charm and unique attributes, I feel that when you play them together they tend to blur together. Besides, I have a feeling that once you get started with DQ you will become obsessed. Better to take your time and enjoy each game in its own time. DQV is too good to rush through as a mere appetizer to another game.

That being said, if you really want to get a taste of DQ before VII releases, maybe playing DQ1 would be a good place to start. Very short game (10 or so hours as I remember it), available on mobile, and extremely limited gameplaywise compared to pretty much every other game in the series. It is undoubtedly the weakest and least developed game in the series, but it will give you that little appetizer before the all-you-can-eat buffet that is DQVII.

Oxn

Personally, I would recommend against playing DQV in the next couple weeks before VII. Dragonquest is my favorite series of all time and I love every game in the franchise. However, every time I try to play two DQ games back to back I get burnt out. Though each game does have its own charm and unique attributes, I feel that when you play them together they tend to blur together. Besides, I have a feeling that once you get started with DQ you will become obsessed. Better to take your time and enjoy each game in its own time. DQV is too good to rush through as a mere appetizer to another game.

That being said, if you really want to get a taste of DQ before VII releases, maybe playing DQ1 would be a good place to start. Very short game (10 or so hours as I remember it), available on mobile, and extremely limited gameplaywise compared to pretty much every other game in the series. It is undoubtedly the weakest and least developed game in the series, but it will give you that little appetizer before the all-you-can-eat buffet that is DQVII.

DQ5 is the best DQ game no doubt.

I really dont understand a need for an appetizer though. Just play 7, just a few more weeks to go. Dont burn yourself out.

You can play DQ5 down the line.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Does this game have the 3D effect? Dragon Quest VIII won't.

Yes, DQVII has 3D, and you can additionally adjust for a strong or weak 3D effect in battles. SE seemed to stop doing 3D unfortunately later on with Final Fantasy Explorers (Dec. 2014) and DQVIII (Aug. 2015), but this DQVII remake was before all that (Feb. 2013).

Soul Lab

I still don't know if I should buy VII or wait for VIII. I heard VIII is the better game.
I haven't played a DQ game yet and VII seems to be a big game. So I am a little afraid that I will be burned out when VIII releases

Tizoc

base.com shows the release date as Sep. 16th as well which is a Friday. Was it ever confirmed to be the proper release date for the game?

PSFan

The 3DS game makes the intro quicker. And did a lot of tweaks but yeah, it's a long game. I put well over 120 hours in it in one playthru on ps1. Great game, one of my favorites of all time.

I was really disappointed to hear about the intro change. That was one of the best things about the original on PS1. I remember how I wondered what was going on having only one small island and no monsters or anything.

One of my favorite moments in gaming was when I found the first fragment and then when I discovered what to do with it. The feeling I got when I realized what was happening was awesome. It was such a great mystery and I thought it was one of the best game intros ever made.

Hobbun

Was just reading up on the website in regards to going to the cave in Monster Meadows to get more Traveler’s Tablets to share via Streetpass.

However, can you just go to the cave to get Traveler’s Tablets for yourself and keeping them (putting them on the plinth in The Haven)? Instead of sharing them?

Streepass is just something not prevalent in my area, so I would like to access those new tablets (and dungeons/rare items) without having to do it if I can.

Does anyone have any idea?

I still don't know if I should buy VII or wait for VIII. I heard VIII is the better game.
I haven't played a DQ game yet and VII seems to be a big game. So I am a little afraid that I will be burned out when VIII releases

I prefer VII to VIII. VIII is prettier, but VII has a better story (IMHO) better characters (IMHO) and much better gameplay. It's kind of a culmination of everything DQ1-6 had been building towards at that point, and gameplay wise VIII is a step back.

VII is my favorite game in the series. VIII is one of my least favorite. But I'm an outlier.

EricB

I prefer VII to VIII. VIII is prettier, but VII has a better story (IMHO) better characters (IMHO) and much better gameplay. It's kind of a culmination of everything DQ1-6 had been building towards at that point, and gameplay wise VIII is a step back.

VII is my favorite game in the series. VIII is one of my least favorite. But I'm an outlier.

I'm with you. VIII is still the only main series game I haven't (yet) finished. At times it seems like the best game ever as you traverse grassy hills, aimlessly exploring with that beautiful music. However it gets tedious at times in ways I don't feel the other games do. I loved just grinding in VII-learning new jobs and gaining levels. I also actually really enjoy the graphical style of the original so I am hoping that the remake still retains the charm that is-in my opinion-central to the experience.

inner-G

Banned
I'm super-hyped for this.

Played the crap out of IX, first time I really got into a DQ with a job system, and this looks way better.

b3b0p

Legit question, I have heard the iOS and Android version is actually well done. Will this be better? Do we know for certain? I have not played the mobile versions, thus my question. Only going by what I have read.

LaneDS

Legit question, I have heard the iOS and Android version is actually well done. Will this be better? Do we know for certain? I have not played the mobile versions, thus my question. Only going by what I have read.

You're thinking of VIII. This isn't on mobile.

Edit: nope, looked it up and I'm wrong apparently.

ekurisona

from the developer discussion...

The team spent a year converting original design docs from hard to soft copies - which included having to painstakingly go through reams of old faxes to identify final spec docs.

Originally, the cost associated with localizing a game as voluminous as DQVII was unjustifiable & there was no plan to export the remake - but fan letters made them reconsider.

LaneDS

Holy moly. You are correct.

Forgive my stupidity. They have VI and VIII, but no VII.

Your question was legit even if you were confused! Seems like there is in fact a mobile port of the 3DS remake but there don't seem to be any plans for localization presently.

Maniel

Banned
I am so hyped for this game. I recently got into DQ and played through the first 6 games this year. Usually that amount of games from the same series would burn me out, but they only made the hype stronger! Hopefully it does well too.

Aters

I was really disappointed to hear about the intro change. That was one of the best things about the original on PS1. I remember how I wondered what was going on having only one small island and no monsters or anything.

One of my favorite moments in gaming was when I found the first fragment and then when I discovered what to do with it. The feeling I got when I realized what was happening was awesome. It was such a great mystery and I thought it was one of the best game intros ever made.

I never played the original. But I did feel the same sense of wonder that you described playing the remake. The intro is shorter, but I think the vibes are still there.

HotHamBoy

On the other hand, if a person were eager to jump in to DQ but wanted to wait for a price drop on DQVII, certainly DQV on DS is the best choice.

I hope no one is excited for DQVIII on 3DS. Looks like a significant downgrade from the PS2 version. It's a pretty bland game, too.

Can't wait. Ready to start this game again after losing a 100+ hour save on the PS1 years ago.

To the guy wondering where to jump into the series, I'd say 4 or 5 on the DS. They are my two favorite games in the series.

3 is a close third, but there isn't a great way to play the best version of it, and the game is so much more satisfying after playing the first two games in the series.

Mr. RPG

I hope no one is excited for DQVIII on 3DS. Looks like a significant downgrade from the PS2 version. It's a pretty bland game, too.

It is definitely looking pretty grim for Dragon Quest VIII.

It will most likely not have voice acting. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it has already been confirmed that it won't have the orchestral soundtrack either.

Mcdohl

It will most likely not have voice acting. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it has already been confirmed that it won't have the orchestral soundtrack either.

It has VA. They showed a video at the end of the DQVII panel @PAX for those who stayed after the Q&A session.

Music is not orchestrated and graphics don't look hot (compared to PS2).

Aeana

Confirmed where?

Mcdohl

I was there, and adding to this, I'm going to quote myself from reddit to share more insights:

After the panel there was a Q&A session, and I was the first to ask a question, which basically was: When is DQ X coming to NA?
Fujimoto confirmed what we all assumed, but at least we heard from THE source, paraphrasing:
Translating an MMO is a daunting task, and in this case, it doesn't make sense business wise. But if there's enough fan outcry we might look into it as it happened with DQ7 (and he pointed at the pics and letters fans sent to SE petitioning for DQ7 3DS translation).
So, where do we sign people?

Another thing guys, the panel was not even 1/4 full.
I was like 5 mins late, I rushed, but when I got in I was amazed at how empty it was :(
To put things into context, even the World of Final Fantasy panel (a FF spinoff for younger audiences) was a 100% full. And don't get me started on the FFXV one, you had to be there 1 hour early to have a shot.
I think there's really very few of us.
I'm not trying to be apocalyptic here, just pointing out what I saw. Let's stay loud and loyal guys.

And as I said above, they showed some DQ8 footage as well.

I can confirm:
  • There is VA (They showed the intro, where only the King and Yangus speak, they sounded like the PS2 voices)
  • There is no orchestrated music
  • Expect graphics downgrade next to the PS2 version, but if you have never played this game, do yourself a favor and pick it up

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
VIII will definitely have the English VA, though I wonder if the new content will be unvoiced or have new lines recorded. And speak of the devil, Mcdohl was there to confirm the English VA and posted at the same time as me.

Visually the game looks great for 3DS. Enemy encounters, sped up battles, a new post-game dungeon, and all the other additions will make it worth it.

The music playing on the European Direct for VIII did sound like it was based on samples though. Not surprised.

Alright I have heard again and again that the intro is shorter. Does this mean streamlined (a lot less fetch questy before going to the first dungeon) OR does it mean that anything with the the first dungeon is different?

Or both?

I'm not spoiler tagging it because I think those two aspects are General jRPG expectations, however I can completely understand answers being tagged.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I have heard again and again that the intro is shorter. Does this mean streamlined (a lot less fetch questy before going to the first dungeon) OR does it mean that anything with the the first dungeon is different?

Or both?

I'm not spoiler tagging it because I think those two aspects are General jRPG expectations, however I can completely understand answers being tagged.

I haven't played the game before, but in one video I think they said a bunch of the stuff from the original intro is now optional. So that made the intro shorter but the stuff is still there for people who want to do it.

I haven't played the game before, but in one video I think they said a bunch of the stuff from the original intro is now optional. So that made the intro shorter but the stuff is still there for people who want to do it.

No that's not right at all. There's a whole puzzle dungeon in the Estard ruins in the original that was replaced with a short, basic, linear thing. This cuts out about probably 30mins to an hour depending on how slow you are in your first play-through before you hit the first battle.

Krammy

Really disappointed that I won't be able to support the series in the West with these upcoming games (VII, VIII, and Builders). Dragon Quest is one of my favourite series, but I've fallen on hard times and simply can't afford to shell out for 3 titles, especially with the prices in Canada.

Hopefully everyone has a great time with VII next week (although I've heard the remake's a bit iffy)!

selo

I've never played any DW/DQ game before, reading the thread seems its a good game. Can anyone tell me if this game is similar to other rpg series? Graphics/trailer-wise, I'm getting a yokai watch vibe, and I couldn't finish that game (always put me to sleep). Thinking of getting it along with PW6 this month.

Thanks

Top Bottom