• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KdylanR92

I was excited for this so much i bought the IOS version and got halfway thru the game and gave up because the battles are sooo slow. I hated exploring because that just lead to more long and boring battles and eventually i just started popping holy waters and running from fights.

I hope it's a double pack like Puzzles & Dragons

That would be HUGE. Like Bayonetta (Buy DQ8, get DQ7 free!)

But that's SE's call, they'd have a lot more say than Sega since Nintendo took full reign in Bayo 2 and I think it was they who got Bayo 1 on Wii U also. SE made DQ7 and 8 on their own, and Nintendo would only be localizing them.

And if you were just thinking SE alone would do a 2-pack. LULZ! :p Yeah, not happening, Nintendo is two for two so far (Bayo 1+2 and P&DZ+Mario), so who knows, Nintendo is far more likely to do that.

catmario

This thread grows bigger than I expected. lol
Anyway, I'm still hesitating on purchase Japanese version. I don't want to spend my money on japanese version if NA version is on the way. ;(

Snakeyes

Can we go back to discussing the new features of this version instead of platform wars garbage?

Have they mentioned what the new scenarios would be?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
VIII coming out west and doing well could get VII over here. It's not the likeliest of scenarios but it has happened before.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
VIII coming out west and doing well could get VII over here. It's not the likeliest of scenarios but it has happened before.
It seems pretty unlikely given how "on its way out" the 3DS feels. If DQ7 was to massive a localization in the systems prime, would they really invest in it near its end?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It seems pretty unlikely given how "on its way out" the 3DS feels. If DQ7 was to massive a localization in the systems prime, would they really invest in it near its end?

Sometimes games like these have a better shot at the end of a generation simply because the first party company needs titles of some pedigree to fill the schedule, though it by and large did not work out like that for the Wii and DS.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sometimes games like these have a better shot at the end of a generation simply because the first party company needs titles of some pedigree to fill the schedule, though it by and large did not work out like that for the Wii and DS.
Ya Nintendo seems to abandon their systems super quickly after the next ones out though I guess the DS did get 3 pokémon games in 2012. I hate the idea of having to buy 1 game I don't want (or already own in the case of DQ8) just to hopefully maybe get the one I do want ~_~;

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ya Nintendo seems to abandon their systems super quickly after the next ones out though I guess the DS did get 3 pokémon games in 2012. I hate the idea of having to buy 1 game I don't want (or already own in the case of DQ8) just to hopefully maybe get the one I do want ~_~;

I hate that as well and won't do it. Luckily I want DQ VIII badly on the 3DS so unless it's terrible I'll buy it immediately if it has a western release.

Scrawnton

They could always remaster it for the next handheld.

I can see this happening. Releasing DQ8 in North America, see how the sales are, port DQVII over to the next handheld if sales are good. From the videos I have seen, DQ7 has serious framerate issues on 3ds, so it would be a welcome port for a next handheld with more power.

NolbertoS

Wow this thread is going places. Wish the DQVII thread had this much discussion :'(. But then SE killed all talk of localization. Hope this at least makes it West.

I was excited for this so much i bought the IOS version and got halfway thru the game and gave up because the battles are sooo slow. I hated exploring because that just lead to more long and boring battles and eventually i just started popping holy waters and running from fights.

Yeah, I beat this on PS2, and while the world was a triumph, DQ battles really drag on.

Actually, since the best part of this game is the scale/sense of grand scope, I don't think it's a great candidate for a handheld. Suspect it will feel cramped, a la xenoblade 3ds.

Scrawnton

Yeah, I beat this on PS2, and while the world was a triumph, DQ battles really drag on.

Actually, since the best part of this game is the scale/sense of grand scope, I don't think it's a great candidate for a handheld. Suspect it will feel cramped, a la xenoblade 3ds.

I would not compare this games world with that of Xenoblade. Xenoblade feels crammed because you have all combat and exploration taking place on the same world. You had to dance around the enemies while also being mindful of the environment and running into even more enemies. Dragon Quest 8 is much more relaxed in that the world is tranquil, you walk around the 3d space just to navigate and explore and battles are turn based on a separate setting. Things will not feel as tight and constricted in a game like dragon quest. Xenoblade was just too big for its own good to be a 3ds game. I bought and played it for 30 hours: even though i enjoy it, it is not a good fit for handhelds.

Wow this thread is going places. Wish the DQVII thread had this much discussion :'(. But then SE killed all talk of localization. Hope this at least makes it West.

These were the last two comments from square on the localization, from what I found. (source is IGN article

“In terms of [Dragon Quest VII], it has a lot of text to go through and translate,” Fujimoto said. “And we’ve received so many requests and so much positive feedback about the game, but unfortunately, we have to consider the cost and the manpower needed to handle the sheer load of text. In terms of scenario and script, the game is probably one of the largest in the DQ franchise. If a lot of people can buy it and support it ... well, we can’t promise anything.”

“We’ve gotten a lot of requests [for localizing Dragon Quest VII], we really want to do it, but right now, we need to hammer out what kind of resources we’d need to do it," Fujimoto said. "We say this a lot, but we can’t seem to get to the point where it’s justifiable.”

By releasing Dragon Quest 8, a game that is already translated and localized, on 3DS in North America, Square Enix can test the demand for releasing further titles in the series. If DQ8 does not sell alot, then Square-Enix probably will not lose much money because the localization is complete, but if the game goes on to be a very decent seller (200k plus maybe?) then Square-Enix could make enough profit to localize DQ7. Dipping their toes before they jump in.

I would not compare this games world with that of Xenoblade. Xenoblade feels crammed because you have all combat and exploration taking place on the same world. You had to dance around the enemies while also being mindful of the environment and running into even more enemies. Dragon Quest 8 is much more relaxed in that the world is tranquil, you walk around the 3d space just to navigate and explore and battles are turn based on a separate setting. Things will not feel as tight and constricted in a game like dragon quest. Xenoblade was just too big for its own good to be a 3ds game. I bought and played it for 30 hours: even though i enjoy it, it is not a good fit for handhelds.

That's a good point. I agree the playability will likely be much higher than for XB. I just don't think it will inspire the same sense of grand adventure it does on the big screen, when the sprawling, seemless world is being seen through a little handheld window.

Scrawnton

That's a good point. I agree the playability will likely be much higher than for XB. I just don't think it will inspire the same sense of grand adventure it does on the big screen, when the sprawling, seemless world is being seen through a little handheld window.

I get what you are saying, but I think that just depends on the player. For example, I felt more engaged and capture by Oot and Majora's Mask on 3DS than I ever have on the original. I think the issue with Xenoblade is that you have to zoom the camera out so far on the 3DS just to take in the world of that game. Zelda, and dragon quest 8, station the camera low to the ground right behind the character and you can see the vast distant and take it in. Half the time i played Xenoblade, I was zoomed out looking at the ground as I fought and then continued to play zoomed out when exploring.

Porcile

I like Dragon Quest 8 (it's second tier DQ though) but SE has burned me too many times now for me to even get excited. Dragon Quest Heroes doesn't count.

I get what you are saying, but I think that just depends on the player. For example, I felt more engaged and capture by Oot and Majora's Mask on 3DS than I ever have on the original. I think the issue with Xenoblade is that you have to zoom the camera out so far on the 3DS just to take in the world of that game. Zelda, and dragon quest 8, station the camera low to the ground right behind the character and you can see the vast distant and take it in. Half the time i played Xenoblade, I was zoomed out looking at the ground as I fought and then continued to play zoomed out when exploring.

Definitely. The only rpgs I can get into on handheld are fiddly, systems-intensive games. For adventure, I just need the bigger screen. But I know this isn't the case for everyone!

I suppose my grumpiness stems from wanting a new current gen big box console mainline DQ game for the west.

beril

To be fair that's mostly a problem with DQVIII, the battles are so slow compared to the rest of the series. We can always hope they fix it in the port.

Scrawnton

To be fair that's mostly a problem with DQVIII, the battles are so slow compared to the rest of the series. We can always hope they fix it in the port.

The look on my face when I run into 8+ enemies at once.... man this game can really get on my nerves sometimes.... I love it though in a way I love Dark Souls. DQ8 is like, deal with it, you have half your health left, no mp, and you are steps away from entering the next town? Guess what! Random encounter with 8+ enemies..... Ugh...

before you learn zoom, of course

Definitely. The only rpgs I can get into on handheld are fiddly, systems-intensive games. For adventure, I just need the bigger screen. But I know this isn't the case for everyone!

I suppose my grumpiness stems from wanting a new current gen big box console mainline DQ game for the west.

I see where you are coming from, but a huge Dragon Quest game on consoles just will not work anymore in the west. They would have to include random NPCs all around the world giving hand holding quests that level you up and provide you with armor. Imagine a 80+ hour DQ game on consoles that require hours upon hours of grinding, searching book shelves for vague alchemy recipes to help create the next weapon just so you can get a little boost in attack to survive an extra round against a boss. Dragon Quest is so good because it is so unforgiving with the game being mysterious and not holding your hand. These concepts don't exactly scream "sell big to a western console audience" to me. Yes, we love this type of game on console, but the market has spoken this last generation and this type of game does not belong on those systems anymore. There is a reason why the very lengthy JRPGs are on 3DS and Vita.

VIII is definitely the biggest offender, but was replaying V recently (my favorite), and even there I felt like the battles were too slow. But I'll grant that may have been primarily because I found myself in more battles than I wanted, and I just don't enjoy the system much, so I'm extra sensitive. Partly it's the way the menu navigation is set up too, I think.

Edit at Scrawnton: probably true :-(

VIII is definitely the biggest offender, but was replaying V recently (my favorite), and even there I felt like the battles were too slow. But I'll grant that may have been primarily because I found myself in more battles than I wanted, and I just don't enjoy the system much, so I'm extra sensitive. Partly it's the way the menu navigation is set up too, I think.

Really?

I always thought 8 was the fastest lol. Guess I need to go back.

Scrawnton

I cannot remember, was DQV one of the games that included the boomerang? I know DQIV does not and that DQVI does. I had an easier time playing through DQV and DQVI because I was able to use the boomerang on my main characters when I was facing a ton of enemies. I really wanted to use the boomerang in DQVIII, and the game seemed like it was built for the main hero to use the boomerang, but I couldn't justify being the games main hero walking around the world with a boomerang at my side, so I chose the sword for my first playthrough and the spear for my second.

I cannot remember, was DQV one of the games that included the boomerang? I know DQIV does not and that DQVI does. I had an easier time playing through DQV and DQVI because I was able to use the boomerang on my main characters when I was facing a ton of enemies. I really wanted to use the boomerang in DQVIII, and the game seemed like it was built for the main hero to use the boomerang, but I couldn't justify being the main games here walking around the world with a boomerang at my side, so I chose the sword for my first playthrough and the spear for my second.

Yes, it's in V, and definitely helps.

Scrawnton

Actually, now that I think about it: what would you guys like changed about this game for this rerelease? I, personally, think there needs to be a way of redistributing skill points for our characters. I know some people might not like it, but other dragon quest games let you change jobs and skills (VI and IX). I love how each character in this game has there own set of skills and weapon specializations, but picking one weapon over another is a tough commitment at the beginning of the game when the game takes roughly 60-70 hours to beat.

I would like to see a respeccing option at the church that charges money depending on your level. For example, if you are level 10 and want to test out this new sword you picked up when you already went down the spear tree, you could pay a certain amount of gold (maybe 1000g which is a good bit at that point in the game) to change your spec. They can scale it as you level up so that you have to grind the money to earn the right to respec, maybe somewhere around 20,000g at lvl 20, 30,000g at lvl 30. It will stink and cost a lot of money, but the options there if you want to take it.

Actually, now that I think about it: what would you guys like changed about this game for this rerelease?

1. Visible enemy encounters
  2. Rebalancing the game; shouldn't need as much work as the other Dragon Quest remakes but would still be appreciated
  3. Class system, but even adding two extra playable characters would help the party feel a lot more customizable
  4. Turf the skill system, it's useless
  5. Learn Zoom by leveling up to like level 8
  6. More stuff to see when exploring. More hidden chests, maybe some new mini-dungeons hidden around would be great

I am not sure how much I would use Geruda and Morii but we'll see. I want this game so I think I will import it. I don't know why I didn't import DQVII (the remake, I beat the original) though probably because it was a lot longer.

Actually, now that I think about it: what would you guys like changed about this game for this rerelease?

A battle speed more in line with series standards would be my big request. Beyond that, I would love it if they modified the skill system. Respeccing along the lines you mention would be fine. It's no fun having to commit an incredibly scarce, finite resource* before you can form a decent impression of how a particular distribution will work. Sure, you can get an NPC to provide a brief description of future skills, but it's not much to go on.

*Those level-ups get really time-consuming on the high end.

GeekyDad

Well, I never got the chance to play the game, and I much prefer handheld gaming these days, so I'm super excited about this.

Psxphile

Can we go back to discussing the new features of this version instead of platform wars garbage?

Have they mentioned what the new scenarios would be?

There's a V-jump scan floating out there that details two scenarios (unknown if there are more):
Dhoulmagus' past
and
the Hero's childhood

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I adored this game, but agree the battles got limp. Got really tired of its heavy focus on that power-up 'seiyan' ability(forget its name). Way too useful, but it pretty much relegated most skills and abilities as pointless.

The world was phenomenal though. Spent around 120 hours doing everything in the PS2 game.

Aeana

I adored this game, but agree the battles got limp. Got really tired of its heavy focus on that power-up 'seiyan' ability(forget its name). Way too useful, but it pretty much relegated most skills and abilities as pointless.

The world was phenomenal though. Spent around 120 hours doing everything in the PS2 game.

Starting a bit before halfway through the game, bosses gained the ability to use freezing wave, which makes tension far less useful since it can clear it at any time. As a result, building tension to 100 on everybody without a timbrel of tension is just no longer a viable strategy at that point.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Starting a bit before halfway through the game, bosses gained the ability to use freezing wave, which makes tension far less useful since it can clear it at any time. As a result, building tension to 100 on everybody without a timbrel of tension is just no longer a viable strategy at that point.

It's been too long, but I sort of remember that. Tension was kind of unreliable certainly against the optional boss that had like 7 forms(though I think I still ensured Yangus or Hero used it for the tougher forms). For the core game though, I think I had a few of those timbrels equipped which made a huge difference and kept it useful.

Again, I played this game so long ago, so my memories are way too fuzzy and you are prob correct. I just recall doing it all the time even if reality was somewhat diff.

That overworld though, just mindblowing to explore on PS2. I needed to see it all.

As an aside, the only DQ I haven't finished is 3. Which version would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom