• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like S-E has collaborations with a LOT of japanese studios: Omega Force, Team Ninja, Silicon Studio, Cygames, Platinum Games, Tri-Ace, CyberConnect2, Matrix Software, Hexadrive, indieszero, media.vision, tose, etc.

They weren't kidding when they said they'd shift to a more outsource-oriented development strategy. I know they did have a lot of them before too, but this seems to be on an unprecedented level.

This is pretty much the Enix model, no?

Interesting that Cygames are working on this. While the original cherry-picked screenshot comparison of the overworld and the bad draw distance -- it isn't less trees, trees simply pop-in now at ground level in this release -- made me believe TOSE was working on it, that's clearly not the case based on what we've seen so far.

I just like the effort that's gone into making this a bespoke handheld version of the game really. It certainly feels special as a result.

Now up for preload on the Japanese eShop. Anyone getting this who has also played it on iOS/Android and PS2? I'd love to hear some of the differences. Tempted myself to get it too. Wonder if it is N3DS enhanced.

Edit: the filesize is huge. 3.6GB (Thanks Perfectly-Nintendo)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't have much hope for the game's graphics since Square Enix was OK with releasing Dragon Quest VII for 3DS in the state it was in. It was a very, very ugly and poorly performing game.

Aeana

I honestly don't have much hope for the game's graphics since Square Enix was OK with releasing Dragon Quest VII for 3DS in the state it was in. It was a very, very ugly and poorly performing game.
Huh?
Ugly is of course subjective but it performs fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Huh?
Ugly is of course subjective but it performs fine.

So is "fine," I guess. It definitely chugs in certain parts and has awful environmental object pop-in, especially on the world map.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just like the original then.

aadiboy

I wish SE would make this game N3DS enhanced. Seems like Capcom is the only third party to improve their game graphically with the extra power provided by the N3DS. The fact that they couldn't even add in 3D is pretty lame as well.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Really looking forward to the new content in the 3DS version. Hard to believe its coming out at the end of this month too.

Preloading ♡

8yzBHCfh.jpg

3A5B3tRh.jpg

hMPMhBYl.jpg

So this is out today. I'm interested in seeing whether it's New 3DS enhanced or not.

I'm tempted, but I've only got an original JP 3DS.

Looking forward to reading impressions from Mailenstein and others!

ranmafan

Oh I hope mine arrives tomorrow, come on amazon Japan, don't wait to ship it like you usually do these days. Would like to play a bit this weekend before next week with MGSV and all coming out. Really looking forward to jumping back into VIII. Playing it the first time ten years ago was a real treat. Cant wait to see all the new additions.

xevis

Banned
Getting pretty fed up with this DQ-only-for-Japan thing. Dammit Enix, just divorce Square already. He's no good for you girl.

Raven77

Why on Earth do they think we don't want these games in the west? They are "too Japanese"? Give me a break, we have WAY more heavy Japanese cultured games get released and do well over here than those that fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom