• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
Nintendo marketing could go a long way, look at Bravely Default, and yes , is up to Nintendo , SE is not going to do it .

Bravely Default didn't come out in the holidays over here, it would have bombed during the holidays.

What I meant is that SE let Nintendo bring over those titles, it's up to them.

And that may not happen seeing SE acknowledge the success of it over here and might just bring the sequel and DQ8 over themselves.

Meffer

A battle speed more in line with series standards would be my big request. Beyond that, I would love it if they modified the skill system. Respeccing along the lines you mention would be fine. It's no fun having to commit an incredibly scarce, finite resource* before you can form a decent impression of how a particular distribution will work. Sure, you can get an NPC to provide a brief description of future skills, but it's not much to go on.

*Those level-ups get really time-consuming on the high end.
I believe since it'll be cart-based, loading times and battle speed will be much, much shorter.

SuperSah

Banned
Never played VIII, but heard super things about it.

DQIX on DS was one of the better games I had played on the system. Super fun story, lengthy as crap, endless content etc. etc.

duckroll

Is ArtePiazza handling this?

I think we have no idea what they're up to since 2013's DQVII remake, makes me wonder.

Unlikely. Previously the DQs ArtePiazza worked on have them represented in the shared copyright for the game, including DQVII 3DS. For DQVIII 3DS the only change in the copyright is that Level5 was removed. So it's either internal, or one of those pure work-for-hire contractors like TOSE.

Scrawnton

still no direct-feed? or did I miss the update?

no direct feed. At this point, I am expecting a reveal at e3 for both japan and the west. If this game was coming only to japan I think they wouldve ignored e3 as a hype chance and just blew the game out already.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
no direct feed. At this point, I am expecting a reveal at e3 for both japan and the west. If this game was coming only to japan I think they wouldve ignored e3 as a hype chance and just blew the game out already.

0e3.png

Scrawnton

I have no link for this because it contains scans. But a translation of the original scan states that the extra story content will revolve around the origin of Dhoulmagus and the childhood of the hero.

I'm excited by this. I think fleshing out Dhoulmagus is a great idea. He was an interesting villain and did so much for you to truly hate him.

sensui-tomo

I have no link for this because it contains scans. But a translation of the original scan states that the extra story content will revolve around the origin of Dhoulmagus and the childhood of the hero.

I'm excited by this. I think fleshing out Dhoulmagus is a great idea. He was an interesting villain and did so much for you to truly hate him.

I really didnt think we'd need any more history on the hero
considering we know he is of that draconian race due to post content
Kinda wish it would be more content based on the 2 new characters. Origin of Dhoulmagus will be neat.

clem84

Gold Member

That makes sense. I guess there is hope for the west after all.

Just bought Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for 3DS. DQM2 looks really great (best looking DQ game on the system, even better than DQ7 imo) with some big open areas, great draw distance, visible ennemies and good character models. It's obvious the programmers had to use some "tricks" but the result is far beyond my expectations and far beyond DQM1.
My only concern is that the game has no 3D effect. I really wonder if they are gonna be able to use 3d in VIII remake since i found M2 to be, technically speaking, the closest thing to DQVIII on the system (and since it seems ennemies are probably visible in 8 remake)

Just bought Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for 3DS. DQM2 looks really great (best looking DQ game on the system, even better than DQ7 imo) with some big open areas, great draw distance, visible ennemies and good character models. It's obvious the programmers had to use some "tricks" but the result is far beyond my expectations and far beyond DQM1.
My only concern is that the game has no 3D effect. I really wonder if they are gonna be able to use 3d in VIII remake since i found M2 to be, technically speaking, the closest thing to DQVIII on the system (and since it seems ennemies are probably visible in 8 remake)

I'd really rather they skip 3D and just focus on making the game work better in 2D.

At the very least they should do like DQ7 and turn on 2xMSAA when 3D is off.

That would be great and maybe you're on to something but if it's not at E3 I'll just plan on picking it up for PS2. SE has jerked us around too many times the last few years, I'm beyond cynical. Speaking of which, shame DW VII on PSX may be my only way to ever play that game.

Gloam

There's some photos of an advertisement poster online. Bottom screen displays a map. Enemies are visible on the field. Shadows are blobs and not stencils.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There's some photos of an advertisement poster online. Bottom screen displays a map. Enemies are visible on the field. Shadows are blobs and not stencils.

If its an ad you can post it from what i remember unless that got changed recently.

GeekyDad

That's awesome. Glad to hear they've updated it. That's really the only improvement to the series I care about.

entremet

Looks like it's from a poster ad:

Edit: beaten

5R5u008.jpg

This shot looks like downgrade confirmed? Did it look like that on PS2?

Of course it's a downgrade. I dunno why people are surprised. I just want DQVIII on the go.

I see a slime. No more random battles?

Of course it's a downgrade. I dunno why people are surprised. I just DQVIII on the go.

I'm not really complaining, I preferred DQ5 on DS to PS2, and usually play the GBC version of DQ3 over the SNES version just cause its more convenient.

Yeah seems like random encounters are out, which is good by me!

Crypton_

Neo Member
If that's really the same area, then the downgrade is bigger then expected. Also, I think the 3DS should be able to manage this game quite well, right? Close to PS2 graphics?

I think this was a prerelease bullshot:

So I tried to go to the same spot in the PS2 version. Please excuse camera shots of my TV:

PS2 (still looks pretty derp):

3DS:
5R5u008.jpg

PS2 (trees seem randomly generated):

3DS:

Also man the PS2 version is slow. Like literally everything I tried to do took a long time. Really hope they improve that. And the frame tearing.

Edit: retook the 2nd PS2 shot to get a better location; also retook the first photo since I got a good angle on it.

Spiegel

Also man the PS2 version is slow. Like literally everything I tried to do took a long time. Really hope they improve that. And the frame tearing.

Good comparison. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

And yeah, speed improvements are the only thing I want. Graphics look decent enough. I'm used to playing PSP versions of PS2 games.

Tizoc

Long as the FPS is stable I'll be OK. Now I just need an announcement though Japan never cared for E3 these past few years.

Good comparison. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

And yeah, speed improvements are the only thing I want. Graphics look decent enough. I'm used to playing PSP versions of PS2 games.

Framerate kinda sucks too, it seems to be dipping a lot in this area to 20ish. If they can get the framerate better, get rid of the tearing, speed things up, and have enemy encounters visible it might be worth losing the grass and tree detail.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks good to me - will wait for a trailer because i trying to compare it with the PS2 version.

Toth

Of course it's a downgrade. I dunno why people are surprised. I just want DQVIII on the go.

I saw that too. I wonder if the random battles are indeed gone and we can now see the mobs ala IX. That alone would be a fantastic addition.

ilium

seems like a downgrade, which is unfortunate considering we just got a more powerful 3DS revision. :\

visible enemies is a huuuuge plus tho, i just can't stand random encounters anymore.

still cautiously optimistic that the game runs with decent framerate and we actually get a western release...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom